Charge DJI Pocket 2 with powerbank
1740 6 2023-4-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Marnix_mx
lvl.1
Netherlands

Hi,

I have read several threads about whether or not to charge the DJI pocket 2 during filming (to exceed the filming time). I know it's possible, but you have to be careful about overheating.

This question is about selecting the right USB power bank. According to the Pocket-2 specs, the input should be 1A or 2A. Question: If I connect it to a 3A power bank, will the pocket 2 (like phones) not consume more than the required 2A or will the 3A harm the Pocket-2?

Regards!
Marnix
2023-4-29
Use props
Marnix_mx
lvl.1
Netherlands

In the mean time i found this topic from DJI itself saying: "Can I charge the DJI Wireless Microphone Transmitter with a charger higher than 5 V/0.5 A? Will it affect the service life of the transmitter? No. Any charger supporting voltage/current higher than 5 V/0.5 A will be limited within this value."
https://store.dji.com/guides/dji-pocket-2-faq/
2023-4-29
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Marnix. Thanks for reaching out. To answer your inquiry, the DJI Pocket 2 will not consume more than the 2A, hence will be limited to this value. We hope this clarifies your concern. Please reach us back here should you have other concerns or inquiries.
2023-4-30
Use props
Marnix_mx
lvl.1
Netherlands

DJI Tony Posted at 4-30 00:19
Hi, Marnix. Thanks for reaching out. To answer your inquiry, the DJI Pocket 2 will not consume more than the 2A, hence will be limited to this value. We hope this clarifies your concern. Please reach us back here should you have other concerns or inquiries.

Thanks. That's a clear answer!
2023-4-30
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Marnix_mx Posted at 4-30 06:08
Thanks. That's a clear answer!

We're glad to be of help. Have a nice day!
2023-5-1
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Depending on your needs, if you need to shoot for extended periods and want to make sure the power bank keeps on charging, I'd recommend getting one with a trickle charge mode and connecting it when the battery of the Pocket 2 is a about 20 percent. That is the tip I heard about it earlier on, and after testing that in practice, I managed to record timelapse footage for over eight hours non-stop (cancelled the test after that, as I thought it is quite unlikely I'd keep on recording for that long IRL). Mine is an 20.000 mAh Anker PowerCore and have been satisfied with it. Hope you find one that suits your needs best.
2023-5-2
Use props
fans74e5d336
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I am trying to find a post about why a USB C output powerbank (like the Smatree DJI Osmo Pocket 2 Charger Power Stick) doesn't work when the pocket has the all in one base, or the wifi module (pocket 1) attached, but whilst I am here will share what I understand.

1. The current draw (and hence power) from a power source is determined by the device.  The only thing that's controlled by the source is the voltage.  That's why you can put a 30w lamp or a 200w lamp in a normal light socket....  Some older devices may not have had the circuitry to understand how to limit what they can draw, however that's not really been the case for a decade now.

2. charging whilst recording may add some heat.  However I have successfully charged and recorded for more than 8 hours, and the heat was mainly due to the settings, rather than the charging.  I took some temp readings and there was no noticeable difference based on charging or not.

3. if you have a USB C port on your charger, the pocket "attachments" don't know how to do USB-C charging protocol (the new thing that lets everything from laptops drawing 40w to earbuds drawing 1w to communicate it's charging needs properly).  So you need to use a pack with USB-A out.  However some convenient tools (like the handle listed above), have only USB-C.  In which case use a tiny USB A to USB C converter, for about $4, which "dumbs down" the signal to USB-A, and it all works fine...
2023-10-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules