Agras T30 blades cracking
2303 20 2023-4-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jaco_Atms
lvl.2

South Africa

Hi. I'm finding myself in a strange situation. I recently had 4  blades crack during flights. 3 CW and 1 CCW. I was promtly instructed to replace the blades as well as ALL the rubber spacers and teflon pads on all the motors.

We conducted three flights after this repair, and another two blades cracked again!  One of the newly cracked ones is a brand new blade! We monitored the cracks and they increased in size about 3mm after 12 flights for the morning. Is an imbalance somewhere causing a vibration? After one particular flight, one of the screws holding the blade in place was even loose. They were all definitely tightened, they were checked by two different people, as we were being extra careful.

Where should I start looking for a vibration/imbalance?
IMG-20230430-WA0010.jpeg
2023-4-30
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. We are sorry for the inconvenience. We will consult with our engineers first.
2023-4-30
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. Here is the update.
Our engineers confirmed that the propellers cracked naturally.
If the propeller is damaged during the warranty period, you are advised to contact your dealer for replacement.
it is recommended to check the inclination angle of each motor.
2023-5-4
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

DJI Wanda Posted at 5-4 03:20
Hello, there. Here is the update.
Our engineers confirmed that the propellers cracked naturally.
If the propeller is damaged during the warranty period, you are advised to contact your dealer for replacement.

I must be having a nightmare.  I'm going to wake up and I wouldn't have to read this message from DJI who admits that yes the propellers break naturally, so what?  

We have a serious problem.  Is it possible to have an official statement from DJI about this?  I made a screenshots that will go directly to the CAA, but are you serious?

I'm starting to believe that yes DJI is well aware of the security problems of its drones, I recently think of the Avata which goes away on its own without the possibility of disarming it.  But obviously no one care.

Is it going well in the minds of your engineers?
2023-5-4
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

LV_Forestry Posted at 5-4 06:48
I must be having a nightmare.  I'm going to wake up and I wouldn't have to read this message from DJI who admits that yes the propellers break naturally, so what?  

We have a serious problem.  Is it possible to have an official statement from DJI about this?  I made a screenshots that will go directly to the CAA, but are you serious?

We are sorry but may we know what issue you encountered? I believe I wrote more than one sentence above.
If you have any questions, please feel free to talk.
We will provide corresponding solutions.
2023-5-4
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

DJI Wanda Posted at 5-4 23:02
We are sorry but may we know what issue you encountered? I believe I wrote more than one sentence above.
If you have any questions, please feel free to talk.
We will provide corresponding solutions.

DJI is  aware of a fault in the T30 propellers "Our engineers confirmed that the propellers cracked naturally.". The propellers are a vital element on a rotary wing. And you leave that in free circulation.

Your only answer is "If the propeller is damaged during the warranty period, you are advised to contact your dealer for replacement."

Do you realize that the T30 is a somewhat special drone that requires certification in Europe?
2023-5-4
Use props
AR_AirPrecision
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2660509 ft
Belgium

LV_Forestry Posted at 5-4 23:14
DJI is  aware of a fault in the T30 propellers "Our engineers confirmed that the propellers cracked naturally.". The propellers are a vital element on a rotary wing. And you leave that in free circulation.

Your only answer is "If the propeller is damaged during the warranty period, you are advised to contact your dealer for replacement."

75Kg MTOM...under EASA regulation you are operating in Specific and the T30 is not Cx ( C5/C6 ) so no STS , and no PDRA -> SORA

Therefore security is the responsibility of the operator via internal procedures and ...

Cracks are problems but perfection doesn't exist :-) I think in this case it's a "translation" issue : cracked naturally means without impact or misuse/abuse.
2023-5-5
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

AR_AirPrecision Posted at 5-5 01:02
75Kg MTOM...under EASA regulation you are operating in Specific and the T30 is not Cx ( C5/C6 ) so no STS , and no PDRA -> SORA

Therefore security is the responsibility of the operator via internal procedures and ...

Arno,

Read my SORA PDRA methodology.
https://uas.caa.lv/vadlinijas/Ri ... VADLINIJAS-V1_2.pdf

G03 is made for this kind of drone.

Maybe in Belgium it's different. The population density per km2 is not the same.

'Cracks naturally with no misuse/abuse impact', that's what worries me.

2023-5-5
Use props
AR_AirPrecision
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2660509 ft
Belgium

LV_Forestry Posted at 5-5 01:36
Arno,

Read my SORA PDRA methodology.

Thanks for the link, looking into it. BE is a total pain/mayhem with Specific authorisations.
2023-5-5
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

LV_Forestry Posted at 5-4 23:14
DJI is  aware of a fault in the T30 propellers "Our engineers confirmed that the propellers cracked naturally.". The propellers are a vital element on a rotary wing. And you leave that in free circulation.

Your only answer is "If the propeller is damaged during the warranty period, you are advised to contact your dealer for replacement."

When it comes to "crack naturally", I mean it does not look like damages caused by external forces or accidents.
We also suggest the OP check the camber angle difference among the motors
Please follow the local regulations as requested by authorities.
2023-5-5
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

DJI Wanda Posted at 5-5 05:21
When it comes to "crack naturally", I mean it does not look like damages caused by external forces or accidents.
We also suggest the OP check the camber angle difference among the motors
Please follow the local regulations as requested by authorities.

"When it comes to "crack naturally", I mean it does not look like damages caused by external forces or accidents"And that doesn't shock you more than that?  
This means that at any time in flight a propeller can break up, but it's ok, let's wait to see the crack appear to change the propeller when the problem is known.
What are you waiting for to make a product recall and provide better quality propellers?

"We also suggest the OP check the camber angle difference among the motors"
Where is this procedure? Which page of the manual?

"Please follow the local regulations as requested by authorities"
Yes, well precisely genius! Do you realize that we fill out declarations in order to request exceptional operating permits for these out-of-category drones?
We do everything to reduce the risk, and you are not able to provide quality equipment.
Seriously, save on plastic parts for aesthetic purposes, but not on vital parts.

Well anyway we understand you're either a bot, or don't give a damn, change jobs and forward the message to someone competent.

THANKS.
2023-5-5
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

LV_Forestry Posted at 5-5 12:55
"When it comes to "crack naturally", I mean it does not look like damages caused by external forces or accidents"And that doesn't shock you more than that?  
This means that at any time in flight a propeller can break up, but it's ok, let's wait to see the crack appear to change the propeller when the problem is known.
What are you waiting for to make a product recall and provide better quality propellers?

If propellers are damaged, you contact the dealer to replace them for you in the warranty period.
We actually did consult this issue with our engineers before we posted.
If you want a more professional consultation service, you can send an email to our Agras team. This email address: support.agras@dji.com
Another suggestion is that I feel offended even if I am a bot and this sentence can be considered as a breach of the Forum Rules. I will give you a warning.
Well anyway we understand you're either a bot, or don't give a damn, change jobs and forward the message to someone competent.
You can read the Forum Rules before you post the thread next time:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... mp;page=1#pid623185
2023-5-6
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

DJI Wanda Posted at 5-6 04:55
If propellers are damaged, you contact the dealer to replace them for you in the warranty period.
If you want a more professional consultation service, you can send an email to our Agras team. This email address:

You know where I put your warning.  You can put as many as you want on me.
2023-5-6
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

DJI Wanda Posted at 5-6 04:55
If you want a more professional consultation service, you can send an email to our Agras team. This email address:

Alright, I'm looking forward to your warning.  Ban me if that turns you on.  
If it's pointing out your incompetence that's against the rules, well, I'm taking the risk.  
Because yes you are incompetent.  Not just you, resellers, tech support...  As soon as a technical problem arises either you do not answer, or pretend not to understand the question.
2023-5-6
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

LV_Forestry Posted at 5-6 05:37
You know where I put your warning.  You can put as many as you want on me.

You may feel relieved by insulting me here. If it is true or indeed can unleash your stress, then you can continue doing that. Unfortunately, I can not give you a warning at my will simply because not only i am one of the moderators here, but also one of the members who follow the Forum Rules here, too.
Am I the only one aware that reproaching me can not resolve what you are really concerned about?  
I apologize for being too incompetent to answer your questions here, so you can have direct communication with our Agras teams via the email address.
Our fights will end here. If the OP has any questions, we will try our best to help him.
2023-5-6
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

DJI Wanda Posted at 5-6 06:01
You may feel relieved by insulting me here. If it is true or indeed can unleash your stress, then you can continue doing that. Unfortunately, I can not give you a warning simply because not only i am one of the moderators here, but also one of the members who follow the Forum Rules here, too.
Am I the only one aware that reproaching me can not resolve what you are really concerned about?  
I apologize for being too incompetent to answer your questions here, so you can have direct communication with our Agras teams via the email address.

DJI Wanda, if you're human I'm sorry and you'll understand.  
If you're a bot you can put yourself on standby, no one will miss it.

We have to push you a bit sometimes, because quite honestly, ok my English is not perfect, but the answers given are surprising.  
It very often happens that this is totally off topic or just a redondant copy paste.  A bit like with a voice assistant, you ask him the time, he answers you by giving you the weather forecast.  

Anyway, back to our business.  Engineers said the propellers creak naturally.  This is not normal.  What I'm asking is simple.  
You make a product recall or you publish a clear procedure to control the angle of the motors.  
And the ideal would be to inform all T30 owners of this problem.  They are not all on the forum.  And resellers probably won't do it.

There must be a procedure for this situation at DJI.  It's something extremely serious, we're not talking about a 250g quadri.
2023-5-6
Use props
Arnaud LRC
lvl.2
Flight distance : 333323 ft
Belgium

I totally agree.
Are we really supposed to fly and wait for the propellers to crack and the drone to crash to get them replaced? What about potential accidents???
Products are being recalled for much smaller risks than this! This is totally absurd!
Me personally I noticed small cracks on my propellers from spreading a fertiliser one time...
2023-5-7
Use props
Arnaud LRC
lvl.2
Flight distance : 333323 ft
Belgium

2023-5-7
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

Arnaud LRC Posted at 5-7 12:28
I totally agree.
Are we really supposed to fly and wait for the propellers to crack and the drone to crash to get them replaced? What about potential accidents???
Products are being recalled for much smaller risks than this! This is totally absurd!

Hello, there. Sorry for the inconvenience. May we know did you contact our support and send it back for repair? If not, could you please record a video for us to further verify the issue? Thanks in advance.

As the bot wrote you can have them changed if the drone is still under warranty.
I'm curious to see how it will go, if they will ask you to send back the propellers or the complete drone, or just based on a photo.
For the product recall I think we will have to wait a long time.
Usually DJI is very quiet about defects in its products. In my opinion by disclosing this information, either the bot made a mistake or they are starting to feel sorry for their customers.

I lean towards the nr1 option, which will explain his obsession with wanting to remind me of the rules of the forum, to try to divert the subject.  Rules which are violated every day without consequence...

They have no culture of aviation safety, it's a company like any other interested in financial profits.
2023-5-7
Use props
djiuser_LotTXQkjAsOo
lvl.1

Canada

This cracks me up
4-8 12:33
Use props
Jaco_Atms
lvl.2

South Africa

Hi

For those following and/or involved in this post I have some feedback. I have made a connection to my blades cracking and another item on the craft. The blades are cracking due to the rubber spacers installed with the propeller collapsing. I mean it flattens completely. In some cases the rubber spacer actually squeezes out. This in turn causes the blades to be unbalanced and then crack. I have to replace these rubber pads about once a month. Never on the same motor so I cannot isolate it to a particular arm/motor.

What I would to ask in the mean time is this:

1. What is the procedure to check the inclination angle of the motors on the T30 craft? As far as I am aware it is not something we can alter. The motor and motor bracket can only be installed in one way as it has been fabricated like this. This inclination angle was an issue on the T16 and T20 craft, but not on the T30? HOWEVER, if there is a procedure to check the inclination angle, it would be highly appreciated. Please also share what the inclination angle of each motor should be.

2. As stated above, I figured out that my blades are cracking when the rubber pads start collapsing. They kind of go flat and in some cases get squeezed out and then an imbalance forms. Please note that someone told me that I am overtightening the bolts holding the blades to the motor. This is not the case. I use a torque wrench to tighten the bolts according to the the DJI maintenance manual specification on these particular bolts. Why would the rubber pads be collapsing?
4-9 00:06
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules