Disable Landing Protection
3166 38 2023-4-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tobyharriman
lvl.1

United States

I work out in the pacific ocean for months at a time, flying drones a dozen times a day. Our company recently upgraded a bunch of our Mavic 2 Pros to the Mavic 3's. Not being able to disable landing protection is making these missions extremely difficult and actually turning us away from the Mavic 3's all together. Please DJI, please update the software to allow us to disable some of these "protections" Thanks.
2023-4-30
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, tobyharriman. Thank you for reaching out and sharing your experience. Landing Protection is only available during auto-landing. If you would like to control the aircraft to land, you may cancel auto landing. We will also take it as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention. All significant suggestions will be implemented after the evaluation of our relevant team. For the latest updates please stay tuned to our DJI official website at ( www.dji.com ). Thank you.
2023-4-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Please DJI, please update the software to allow us to disable some of these "protections" Thanks.
Unfortunately you're probably out of luck on this.
DJI doesn't allow disabling of the landing protection for any drone using the DJI Fly app.
Despite users complaining about this ever since it showed up a few years back, they don't seem at all interested in making their drones easier and safer to use.
All you'll ever hear from them here is we'll pass your suggestion on, but nothing ever happens.
2023-4-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Gamora Posted at 4-30 18:25
Hi, tobyharriman. Thank you for reaching out and sharing your experience. Landing Protection is only available during auto-landing. If you would like to control the aircraft to land, you may cancel auto landing. We will also take it as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention. All significant suggestions will be implemented after the evaluation of our relevant team. For the latest updates please stay tuned to our DJI official website at ( www.dji.com ). Thank you.

Landing Protection is only available during auto-landing. If you would like to control the aircraft to land, you may cancel auto landing.
This is useless information for someone in the OP's situation and the landing protection is acting in any landing situation, whether manual or auto..
Not being able to disable landing protection makes it extremely difficult (and dangerous) to retrieve a drone from a boat.
This has been pointed out many, many times here.

We will also take it as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention.
The "well pass this on" reply never comes to anything and users are sick of hearing it.

2023-4-30
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi Gamora,

It is not all about Landing Protection.

Problem is that when flying ( not landing ) and the bottom sensor measures a height lower than 0.5 meter drone will fly up!
Has nothing to do with Landing Protection.

Good feature for most flights, but not for all flights.

So please add this option for the FlyApp drones to disable this (by default ON)
Let your customer decide to disable this, enough remote pilots who can deal with this responsibility to disable this.

Plus be honest to your forum members, this has been asked for many many years now!
Reading again and again "....suggestion of yours, will forward to our designated team for attention....."
Can this designated team finally come with an answer like YES or NO because?

cheers
JJB

2023-5-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 5-1 00:13
Hi Gamora,

Would switching off the VPS do the same thing JJB?
2023-5-1
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 5-1 00:49
Would switching off the VPS do the same thing JJB?

Nope   on DJI FlyApp drone you cannot disable the bottom IR sensor.

Landing Protection uses both both sensors, IR for height and Downward vision for checking the surface below the drone to check if area is safe to land.

VPS are the vision sensors, imo the IR height sensor is not part of the VPS.

So the UP motion < 0.5 meter is solely done by the IR sensor.

cheers
JJB
2023-5-1
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Landing protection makes some landing scenarios MORE dangerous. Hand catching on a boat is tricky and DJI's settings make things even harder.

Why does DJI think that landing protection is something that everyone needs.
2023-5-1
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

CloudVisual Posted at 5-1 05:16
Landing protection makes some landing scenarios MORE dangerous. Hand catching on a boat is tricky and DJI's settings make things even harder.

Why does DJI think that landing protection is something that everyone needs.

Landing Protection is not why hand catching is so tricky!

It is the bottom IR height senso wich makes it tricky

cheers
JJB
2023-5-1
Use props
fans525052b0
lvl.1

United States

Hi, tobyharriman. Thank you for reaching out and sharing your experience. Landing Protection is only available during auto-landing. If you would like to control the aircraft to land, you may cancel auto landing. We will also take it as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention. All significant suggestions will be implemented after the evaluation of our relevant team. For the latest updates please stay tuned to our DJI official website at ( www.dji.com ). Thank you.

If you read the hundreds of threads online,

this "Landing Protection is only available during auto-landing. If you would like to control the aircraft to land, you may cancel auto landing."

Does NOT fix the problem.

Other sensors still stay on, and landing on a boat and or hand-catching becomes more dangerous and damages the drone. Sadly, I do not think DJI will listen and fix this in future updates. That is not the direction most see DJI going, unfortunately. You are literally cutting out an entire group of drone pilots by limiting these advanced features to be turned on and off by us.
2023-5-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 5-1 02:15
Nope   on DJI FlyApp drone you cannot disable the bottom IR sensor.

Landing Protection uses both both sensors, IR for height and Downward vision for checking the surface below the drone to check if area is safe to land.

But not all the drones have bottom vision sensors,  like the Mini2.  

I will turn off VPS and do a test shortly.  
2023-5-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 5-1 23:14

How are you going to turn off VPS?
2023-5-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 5-2 00:00
How are you going to turn off VPS?

There's a patch for the RC and RC Pro that allows you to do that.
2023-5-2
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 5-1 23:14

Mini2 has 3 sensors on its bottom    1 Downward Vision sensor and 2 InfraRed sensors.

So how do you disable the Vision on a MINI2 ?
2023-5-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 5-2 00:40
Mini2 has 3 sensors on its bottom    1 Downward Vision sensor and 2 InfraRed sensors.

So how do you disable the Vision on a MINI2 ?

There’s a patch that lets you issue commands like vps off via the drones name box.  
2023-5-2
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-2 02:33
There’s a patch that lets you issue commands like vps off via the drones name box.

Can you please explain this more fully? I know of no way or menu that allows those sensors to be turned off.
2023-5-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-2 04:23
Can you please explain this more fully? I know of no way or menu that allows those sensors to be turned off.

There's a list of commands that you can enter where the drone name is under the three dots,  if the command is accepted the text disappears and you can reset the drones name.     You need to have the controller patched though for it to work.

commands like led off and anti on all work nicely but Ive just been out and tested and couldnt find any difference with vps off,  but I might be missing a step as the documentation is limited.  
2023-5-2
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-2 04:31
There's a list of commands that you can enter where the drone name is under the three dots,  if the command is accepted the text disappears and you can reset the drones name.     You need to have the controller patched though for it to work.

commands like led off and anti on all work nicely but Ive just been out and tested and couldnt find any difference with vps off,  but I might be missing a step as the documentation is limited.

What do you mean by "You need to have the controller patched " and  "list of commands"?
2023-5-2
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 5-2 04:31

commands like led off and anti on all work nicely but Ive just been out and tested and couldnt find any difference with vps off,  but I might be missing a step as the documentation is limited.

VPS off does not make the difference for this behaviour, it is caused by IR height sensor.

Easy to tape the IR sensor. and test fly.

I made a video for this...be carefull doing this. (but the fly up < 0.5 meter does not happen)

cheers
JJB
2023-5-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 5-2 08:25
VPS off does not make the difference for this behaviour, it is caused by IR height sensor.

Easy to tape the IR sensor. and test fly.

I turned off the vps and could not find any difference so I think you are right.
2023-5-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-2 07:32
What do you mean by "You need to have the controller patched " and  "list of commands"?

Pretty much what I said,   there is a patch you can buy that activates some features like atti mode or turning off the leds.    There is a big thread on this forum about it here https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=265378&extra=&page=1
2023-5-2
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-2 09:03
Pretty much what I said,   there is a patch you can buy that activates some features like atti mode or turning off the leds.    There is a big thread on this forum about it here https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=265378&extra=&page=1

Ahh so it looks like it's not something that the average user is going to 'mess' with?
2023-5-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-2 10:52
Ahh so it looks like it's not something that the average user is going to 'mess' with?

From what I heard thousands of people have bought the patch.    I got it for atti mode which is something Im interested in practicing with but outdoors where I have more room.
2023-5-2
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Labroides Posted at 4-30 19:29
Landing Protection is only available during auto-landing. If you would like to control the aircraft to land, you may cancel auto landing.
This is useless information for someone in the OP's situation and the landing protection is acting in any landing situation, whether manual or auto..
Not being able to disable landing protection makes it extremely difficult (and dangerous) to retrieve a drone from a boat.

Hi, Labroides. Thank you for sharing your experience as well. We will add this as another suggestion for disabling landing protection. We are sorry also if you are sick of hearing this reply, but this is the best thing we could offer as we are not the one who is implementing the suggestions. Thank you for your kind understanding.
2023-5-3
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

JJB* Posted at 5-1 00:13
Hi Gamora,

Hi, JJB*. Thank you for sharing your experience as well. We will add this as another suggestion for this disabling landing protection. We are sorry for any inconvenience, we have not received any news in regard to this. If the feature will be added to the app, there will be an update for the app. You may keep an eye on the future update and always keep the app updated. Thank you for your kind understanding.
2023-5-3
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

fans525052b0 Posted at 5-1 07:44
If you read the hundreds of threads online,

this "Landing Protection is only available during auto-landing. If you would like to control the aircraft to land, you may cancel auto landing."

Hi, fans525052b0. Thank you for sharing your experience as well. We will add this as another suggestion for this disabling landing protection. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at (www.dji.com) or by checking the Release Notes specific to your product. Thank you for your continued support.
2023-5-3
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Gamora Posted at 5-3 07:19
Hi, JJB*. Thank you for sharing your experience as well. We will add this as another suggestion for this disabling landing protection. We are sorry for any inconvenience, we have not received any news in regard to this. If the feature will be added to the app, there will be an update for the app. You may keep an eye on the future update and always keep the app updated. Thank you for your kind understanding.

Hi Gamora,

Think you do not understand it, problem it is not the Landing Protection, it is the behaviour of UP flying when the IR sensor measures < 0.5 meter of height!

cheers
JJB
2023-5-3
Use props
gevigil253
lvl.4

El Salvador

Si, todos comenzamos a exigir lo que queremos y se cumpla otros usuarios no les gustaran las modificaciones,  y esto será una historia que nunca acabara.
2023-5-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

gevigil253@gmai Posted at 5-3 15:34
Si, todos comenzamos a exigir lo que queremos y se cumpla otros usuarios no les gustaran las modificaciones,  y esto será una historia que nunca acabara.

That's not an issue.
What people are asking for is the ability to switch off the downward sensors when needed.
This was possible for drones that used the Go 4 app, but not possible with drones using the Fly app.
2023-5-3
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

JJB* Posted at 5-3 08:55
Hi Gamora,

Think you do not understand it, problem it is not the Landing Protection, it is the behaviour of UP flying when the IR sensor measures < 0.5 meter of height!

Hi, JJB*. Thank you for the clarification. We will forward this as well to our relevant team. Thank you for sharing your insight. Have a good one!
2023-5-5
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 5-3 08:55
Hi Gamora,
problem it is not the Landing Protection, it is the behaviour of UP flying when the IR sensor measures < 0.5 meter of height!

" problem it is not the Landing Protection, it is the behaviour of UP flying when the IR sensor measures < 0.5 meter of height!"
that's a very subtle distinction to make but a VERY good point, .
I wonder how many people, myself included, had assumed that the climb you mention is due to landing protection.

I wonder if it also explains one or more posts by mods that I have read that say "Landing protection is only on during certain phases of drone flight"?

2023-8-1
Use props
djiuser_86UjxeWvqxcZ
lvl.1

Australia

The reason it gets referred to as "Landing Protection" is because that is what the menu item was called that could be toggled off on the Mavic 2 Pro for safer hand catching and landing in difficult scenarios.

The term just gets used as a general term, DJI are well aware of what people are complaining about and what they're asking for.

STILL don't have this option and it annoys the hell out of me every day that this drone feels tailored to idiots or something. LET US TURN OFF ALL SENSORS DJI.
2023-8-28
Use props
djiuser_86UjxeWvqxcZ
lvl.1

Australia

IT'S FINALLY HAPPENED!!

They have included the option to turn this off allowing more creative flying situations, safer hand catching and the ability for full manual landing  on boats etc.

I can't believe it took so long but am thankful that it got included, I hope it never gets removed again!
2023-9-5
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djiuser_86UjxeWvqxcZ Posted at 8-28 04:10
The reason it gets referred to as "Landing Protection" is because that is what the menu item was called that could be toggled off on the Mavic 2 Pro for safer hand catching and landing in difficult scenarios.

The term just gets used as a general term, DJI are well aware of what people are complaining about and what they're asking for.

Hello there. I'm sorry about the inconvenience. The latest firmware finally added a Vision Positioning and Obstacle Sensing switch as the majority requested. You can check the release notes here: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... elease_Notes_en.pdf
Please make sure your Mavic 3 is on the latest firmware. We appreciate your patience. Have a great day ahead.
2023-9-6
Use props
Photostudiosamu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2560951 ft
Thailand

Apparently added now but only for mavic 3 what about DJI air 3? And all other drone I fly often from boat and still use the mavic 2 pro for that as other are very hard to catch because of that
2023-9-26
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Photostudiosamu Posted at 9-26 20:14
Apparently added now but only for mavic 3 what about DJI air 3? And all other drone I fly often from boat and still use the mavic 2 pro for that as other are very hard to catch because of that

Hello there. We appreciate your feedback. Please rest assured that we will register the information and refer this to the related departments for evaluation. In the future, we will optimize and improve the product or service based on user comments. Thank you for your support and understanding.
2023-9-26
Use props
djiuser_UOQFhLHg1Yd2
New

United States

I almost lost my air 3 flying near the beach. Low clouds started rolling in and all of a sudden the drone was telling me there was obstacles all around me. This was about 200' up. So I tried to come down and it kept saying landing. I kept canceling that because I didn't want it to shutoff the props 200' up. The whole time I could see my drone. I moved it over a field and put it into sports mode which stopped the radar going off all around but it still wouldn't come down. Then I got lucky after about 10 min with a gap in the clouds and brought it down to about 50' where I had control back. I did a deep dive trying to see how to come down if that happened again then I updated my rc2 and there is a setting you can shutoff while flying to turn off the obstacle avoidance on the bottom. It's in safty then advanced safety. There is 2 toggles it's the top one. I tested it out and it works.it doesn't care if anything is under it. It will come down and hit the ground if you want.
4-18 16:01
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Landing at 200ft probably means the drone saw fog/cloud underneath it and it will descend slowly.
However I very much doubt it will stop the motors in mid air, I think you will find it will only stop the motors when the drone senses zero movement and whilst airborne that doesn't happen.
I suspect the only danger to the drone was if the battery was already so low that the drone ran out of battery before it reached the ground and that has happened with, I think, one of the earlier airs but that drone was sent VERY high, well above 500m and was in difficulties from early in the descent.
4-18 23:56
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

djiuser_UOQFhLHg1Yd2 Posted at 4-18 16:01
I almost lost my air 3 flying near the beach. Low clouds started rolling in and all of a sudden the drone was telling me there was obstacles all around me. This was about 200' up. So I tried to come down and it kept saying landing. I kept canceling that because I didn't want it to shutoff the props 200' up. The whole time I could see my drone. I moved it over a field and put it into sports mode which stopped the radar going off all around but it still wouldn't come down. Then I got lucky after about 10 min with a gap in the clouds and brought it down to about 50' where I had control back. I did a deep dive trying to see how to come down if that happened again then I updated my rc2 and there is a setting you can shutoff while flying to turn off the obstacle avoidance on the bottom. It's in safty then advanced safety. There is 2 toggles it's the top one. I tested it out and it works.it doesn't care if anything is under it. It will come down and hit the ground if you want.

Hi,

Next time disable the complete vision+ir sensor in the FlyApp.
This way your drone will descent without any problem, as the IR sensor is off it does not measure false height of 0.5 meter.

BUT do enable again before landing! otherwise drone will not slow down reaching the ground.

cheers
JJB
4-19 00:39
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules