RS 3 Trigger does nothing / How to enter lock mode?
3583 12 2023-4-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansde08b2b0
lvl.2
Italy

Hello all.

I am a professional interior photographer but a first time Ronin (and gimbals) user.
Despite watching a lot of tutorials I am struggling a lot to understand how to use my RS 3 and I do not think this is normal.
When I use it the gimbal seems to have a mind of its own, the camera moves correctly with the joystick but when I walk straight it kind of floats left and right and when I turn does not follow my body direction. I thought that to follow my direction (or the direction I want the camera to be) I had to lock it with the trigger but when I press the trigger nothing seems to change or happen, it keeps going where it wants to go. The trigger works because if I double click it it re-center the camera. What does pressing the trigger to enter lock mode feel like? What should I espect whan doing so? I read somewhere that pressing the M button locks the camera too and it does, kind of, but it still does not feel right, it is not manageble.
How can I know for sure if this is what it suppose to be or if I have something wrong with my gimbal.
I repeat I am a professional photographer so I am use to technology, cameras, drones, eccc so it seems wierd to me that I am struggling so much to use this new tool.

Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you.

Best,

Stefano

2023-4-30
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. Sorry for the inconvenience. May we know which function did you turn on?
and when I turn does not follow my budy direction. I thought that to follow my direction (or the direction I want the camera to be)
2023-4-30
Use props
fansde08b2b0
lvl.2
Italy

DJI Wanda Posted at 4-30 23:30
Hello, there. Sorry for the inconvenience. May we know which function did you turn on?
and when I turn does not follow my budy direction. I thought that to follow my direction (or the direction I want the camera to be)

Hello Wanda.
I'm not sure what do you mean by function. I am trying mainly in PF mode which I think is the "standard" mode if I want to shoot walktrough kind of videos
2023-4-30
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

fansde08b2b0 Posted at 4-30 23:44
Hello Wanda.
I'm not sure what do you mean by function. I am trying mainly in PF mode which I think is the "standard" mode if I want to shoot walktrough kind of videos

Can we have a video to further verify the issue?
2023-5-1
Use props
fansde08b2b0
lvl.2
Italy

Her it is, basically when I click on the trigger nothing changes.

Is it normal that if I turn around the camera goes on its own and does not follow at all the direction I am turning?

https://youtube.com/shorts/7WzMFqJWypk?feature=share
2023-5-1
Use props
fansde08b2b0
lvl.2
Italy

Any help or suggestions after seeing the video?

Please I need urgent help as I have to use this for work.

2023-5-2
Use props
djiuser_pJWEEAEGjJAn
New

United States

I'm having the EXACT same problem! Did they ever get back to you? I specifically bought the gimbal for the lock mode function, but when I press the trigger the camera just moves wherever it feels like. The tutorial showed it focusing on and following an object when in lock mode, but this is definitely not happening.
2023-6-11
Use props
fansde08b2b0
lvl.2
Italy

djiuser_pJWEEAEGjJAn Posted at 6-11 12:28
I'm having the EXACT same problem! Did they ever get back to you? I specifically bought the gimbal for the lock mode function, but when I press the trigger the camera just moves wherever it feels like. The tutorial showed it focusing on and following an object when in lock mode, but this is definitely not happening.

Hello, no DJI completly ignored me as you can see from this post. It is really disappointing considering the amount of money I spend on their products as a professional every single year and especially since, as constructors, they should be able to identify and solve my question in a matter of seconds.
Anyways, as usual I had to rely on the good faith of other users on a FB group.
I was wrong, there is nothing wrong with my gimle, I just did not understand how the lock mode works.
The answer (very very simple) to this post is as follow:
1. Move 3 position selector switch on the right side to the middle position.
2. Squeeze trigger and hold. Now walk in a circle around the camera. It should hold the direction you started in.
Basically if you squeeze the trigger and circle around the camera should point in the same position all the time, if this happens all is working fine, otherwise you have a malfunction.
I hope this helps you any any other new user understanding this mechanisminstead of waisting tons of hours researching as I did.

best,

Stefano
2023-6-12
Use props
fans563f098a
New
Flight distance : 3035 ft
United States

Having the same issue
2023-7-16
Use props
djiuser_JajL3L1lxBok
lvl.1
United States

fansde08b2b0 Posted at 6-12 03:09
Hello, no DJI completly ignored me as you can see from this post. It is really disappointing considering the amount of money I spend on their products as a professional every single year and especially since, as constructors, they should be able to identify and solve my question in a matter of seconds.
Anyways, as usual I had to rely on the good faith of other users on a FB group.
I was wrong, there is nothing wrong with my gimle, I just did not understand how the lock mode works.

Hello Stefano,

I am having the exact same problem. I followed your steps but it did not correct the problem. I want to make sure I understand your steps correctly. Can you please help me?
2023-10-20
Use props
fansee3f2471
New

Canada

DJI Wanda Posted at 2023-4-30 23:30
Hello, there. Sorry for the inconvenience. May we know which function did you turn on?

Hi Wanda, I am having the same issue as many users.  Plus one more.
1. The trigger lock function does not work in any of the 3 modes.  It should lock the gimbal temporarily to enable hand held shots but it does not, even though the touchscreen says the gimbal is locked.  I am using the latest firmware available.  

2. I set the menu for the dial to control aperture on my Canon R5 and even though the Bluetooth connection is good, the dial doesn't change aperture at all.  I am using RF lenses.   

Please reply with solutions to these problems.   My RS3 is still under warranty.  Should I return it?  
2-12 11:38
Use props
fansee3f2471
New

Canada

DJI Wanda Posted at 2023-4-30 23:30

Trigger lock does not work no matter which function is used, PTF, PF or FPV.   Is there a solution for this?  I am using latest firmware updated today.
2-12 11:43
Use props
KitMavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 25180 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

djiuser_JajL3L1lxBok Posted at 2023-10-20 12:32
Hello Stefano,

I am having the exact same problem. I followed your steps but it did not correct the problem. I want to make sure I understand your steps correctly. Can you please help me?

Better late than never, this reply.  I have the RS2, same "issue" on the front trigger.  Basically DJI used a poor term, it is not a "gimbal lock", like that used on other gimbals, e.g. Weebill S.  It does not "lock" the axis of the gimbal.  What it seems to do is lock the "camera direction".  Say the camera was facing due north, as you move the gimbal in an arc/semi circle, when you press and hold the front trigger, the camera will remain pointing due north as your move in a semi-circle, i.e. it holds the direction to which the camera is pointing.  This is not explained in the manual, but do remember the DJI RS Manual overall lack details.   I also tested this front trigger on the RS3 at the DJI store and it also locked the direction to which the camera is pointing.   So the closes i can find to locking the axis is to programme M2 to slow down the motion.  Hope this helps any readers here.
2-14 07:34
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules