The Law was called on me today by a Karen
2972 35 2023-5-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ms Ivy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18991394 ft
United States

Someone in the area I was flying recureational in today reported me to the Law enforcement, that I was flying over their land and I was invading their airspace & flying unsafe, by flying  and  speeding up and down the lake to close to the water.
That ended up leaving me deal to with the Tennessee State Police and a Cherokee Forest park ranger who said he has left his juradiction for this call,.
Unbe known to me, the State police had found me and had been watching me fly for about 15 minutes before the ranger got there and they both approch me with the complaint.

Lucky for me I keep my ducks in a row , always obey the drone laws & and do my research and check for flight restrictions, get LANCC approvel if needed before I head off to a location to fly.  its just something i have always done for my own peace of mind.  I also keep my picture ID and assorted needed documents and licenses with me as well.

Todays flight was recureational on private camp lot that I had written premission to be on.  That is located next to an unrestricted state owned public camp ground and walking trails.   I also keep a pilot flight log book & printed hand out sheet I usaully tape to orange safety cones I place around my homepoint area. to keep people that maybe interested in what I am doing out of my homepoint/landing area.

Anyway a long story short. Because I was prepared for my flight, that helped me to be also be prepared for this uninvited encounter. Today I had invited my friend sherry as a spotter to warn me of thing going on around me during flight because I was close to a public camp ground and beach.

The law enforcement encounter was very positive, the officer said he had watched me for a while and did not notice any unsafe operations and then dismissed the report as disgruntal drone hater  and let me go with out incindent. the Park ranger I think was just there for back up he never said a much to me other than a couple of questions & look at my p107 license

But I want to pass along something that really was helpful. That is having a pilot hand out sheet

By having a pilot hand out sheet I thought it would be extemely helpful. because it informs the public of what I am doing  without having to land to explain things to people. This was properly why this disgruntal person reported me to law becuase my spotter today handed about a dozen of these out to passer by's asking nosy questions.

The police officer said the hand out is a great idea & was very helpful

So please I want to pass on my hand out sheet i made for your own use, you can just add your name and qualfications in replace of mine. It may save you some furstration as well from these encounters. its in pdf form so it can be printed

I am sorry about my bad spelling I am very dyslexic

Standard sUAV drone operators handout.pdf

34.17 KB, Down times: 159

2023-5-1
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12242710 ft
  • >>>
United States

Excellent. You were well prepared
2023-5-1
Use props
Ms Ivy
Second Officer
United States

Flormo2002 Posted at 5-1 12:04
Excellent. You were well prepared

Thanks I can;t take all the credit though. I have been reading in the forum awhile about these encounters and this was my first one since i got my p107.
I got the handout sheet  idea from mavicpilots.com forum. It really made this leo encounter very positive and go smoothly. When i seen the law pull up my heart jumped into my throat  wondering what I had done. I also had a bright yellow safety vest on as well which made me look rather like a official pilot.
2023-5-1
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ms Ivy Posted at 5-1 12:17
Thanks I can;t take all the credit though. I have been reading in the forum awhile about these encounters and this was my first one since i got my p107.
I got the handout sheet  idea from mavicpilots.com forum. It really made this leo encounter very positive and go smoothly. When i seen the law pull up my heart jumped into my throat  wondering what I had done. I also had a bright yellow safety vest on as well which made me look rather like a official pilot.

This is awesome and a good outcome.
2023-5-1
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great outcome because you were prepared and flying legally.  
2023-5-1
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

glad to hear everything turned out well for you.  sounds like you are well prepared to deal with any type of encounters you might run it.
2023-5-1
Use props
Rainbow Drones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1155663 ft
  • >>>
United States

Awesome story! Thank you for sharing, good to know things worked out. Cheers
2023-5-1
Use props
Ms Ivy
Second Officer
United States

The Saint Posted at 5-1 14:24
glad to hear everything turned out well for you.  sounds like you are well prepared to deal with any type of encounters you might run it.

I have heard of horror stories from other people encountering law or people that are law-wanna-be.
But this was my first time and to me it was very positive. I had no idea the police officer was even watching me until they approached me. But I am paranoid and think everyone is watching me anyway

Even though I was flying under recreational approval. I still give them my part 107. idk if that helped or not
But having a recreational OHV liability insurance card did seem to make the state police happy.
2023-5-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nice encounter.   Im a big fan of the handouts like this.  
2023-5-1
Use props
Ms Ivy
Second Officer
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-1 23:51
Nice encounter.   Im a big fan of the handouts like this.

I am now
2023-5-2
Use props
Drey. I
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1757375 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the handout. I’ll use it.
2023-5-2
Use props
Ms Ivy
Second Officer
United States

Drey. I Posted at 5-2 11:07
Thanks for the handout. I’ll use it.

Your welcome I hope it works as well as it did for me
2023-5-2
Use props
KellyTX
New
Flight distance : 39948 ft
United States

I'd really like to see your pdf and perhaps make one like it. Unfortunately when I use the link I get "Sorry, You do not have permission to download this attach"
2023-5-2
Use props
Ms Ivy
Second Officer
United States

KellyTX Posted at 5-2 18:09
I'd really like to see your pdf and perhaps make one like it. Unfortunately when I use the link I get "Sorry, You do not have permission to download this attach"

Weird huh?
I pasted a copy of it below.  you can just copy it from here, you can modify it to fit your needs  

<  ------------------------------------------------------------------------>

Pilot name here
Address here
Phone number here

RE: Pilot Handout For Law Enforcement & Public Interest.

Please DO NOT disturb the Pilot while the drone is in operation.
It is against the federal law 18 U.S. Code § 32 to willfully destroy, sabotage, shoot down aircraft, &
49 U.S.C. § 46504 distracts or otherwise prevents an aircraft pilot from being safe during flight
operations. Please request the aUAV pilot to land before engaging in conversation. Which I will
be happy to do.

If you feel the drone pilot is breaking the law or flying in an unsafe manner, you are encouraged
to please call the FAA hotline 1 (866) 835-5322 or your local law enforcement office.

About FAA Registered & Approved Drone Operations.

I am a licensed FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) drone pilot flying currently under 49 U.S.C.
§44701, § 44807, and § 44809, & authorized to operate sUAS in pursuant to 49 U.S.C. § 44809, &
commercial license 14 C.F.R. Part 107 in Class B, C, or D airspace or within the lateral boundaries
of the surface area of Class E & G airspace.
I have been approved to fly in this area today by the FAA through the FAA's “Low Altitude
Authorization and Notification Capability” (LAANC). By using the FAA mobile Aloft or B4UFLY app.
I have completed a safety checklist and am following the community based guidelines of the laws
on drone operations in this airspace. & being monitored by the FAA during today's operations.

Today’s Mission Operations.

The intent of this flight mission today is for “Recreational” purposes and I am flying under FAA
rule U.S.C. § 44809, I can present my FAA Pilot “TRUST” certificate upon request. I am currently
insured up to $120,000 liability for personal injury & property damage by Hartford Insurance
under my home & auto policy.
I can legally fly up to 400 feet AGL(Above ground level) & Authorize to fly within VLOS(Visual Line
of Sight) allowing my sUAV travel over private and public lands in airspace controlled by the FAA.
No flight restrictions have been reported today for this area by LEO or the FAA.

Please Note: I am here to have fun and not here to spy or invade people's privacy. I am aware that
drone’s may make some people uncomfortable. Please ask me to land before confronting me for
safety reasons.
I thank you for your cooperation .
  <---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
2023-5-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have a couple of the UK rules which I think I will print and leave in the bag just in case.  
2023-5-2
Use props
djiuser_eccHsiq5GLLm
lvl.1
Flight distance : 208615 ft
United States

I’m sorry..but  people really think  only nerds and geeks fly drones ,unless  it’s law enforcement. Ken or Karen gonna have a rude awaken if they approach me wrongfully especially  if I know I’m not breaking any laws flying  my drone.
2023-5-3
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_eccHsiq5GLLm Posted at 5-3 10:42
I’m sorry..but  people really think  only nerds and geeks fly drones ,unless  it’s law enforcement. Ken or Karen gonna have a rude awaken if they approach me wrongfully especially  if I know I’m not breaking any laws flying  my drone.

Probably not the best approach, just saying.  I've found that killing them with kindness and actually engaging with them in a tame manner goes a long way and they leave with some knowledge that they didn't arrive with. Sometimes I even get a "thank you."

@Ms Ivy Great outcome and thanks for sharing.

2023-5-4
Use props
KellyTX
New
Flight distance : 39948 ft
United States

Ms Ivy Posted at 5-2 18:44
Weird huh?
I pasted a copy of it below.  you can just copy it from here, you can modify it to fit your needs  

Thank you for assembling and sharing this.

And for the extra effort to paste in it.

I have always found educating people in a friendly way goes a lot farther than just getting defensive and angry. This will definitely help.
2023-5-4
Use props
Ms Ivy
Second Officer
United States

KellyTX Posted at 5-4 20:49
Thank you for assembling and sharing this.

And for the extra effort to paste in it.

Your welcome. glad to help
2023-5-5
Use props
Nitro-Tom
lvl.3
Flight distance : 403133 ft
United States

just sad in this day and age we need this and even this statement - Please ask me to land before confronting me for
safety reasons.

Here come the drone rage era - I cant believe it but ignorance is fear and many more than I ever thought do not like our drones - great approach and I agree - kill them with kindness and compliance to the rules.

I need to get my home onwners card from my insurance co - great idea as well as the handout
2023-5-5
Use props
fletcher-use
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1647635 ft
  • >>>
United States

I find that many law enforcement agencies are ignorant of drone laws. They simply KNOW that you are flying in a no-fly zone. Thanks for the handout.
2023-5-9
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Excellent. thanks.
2023-5-9
Use props
djiuser_EEXtim8SFbZ6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 884301 ft
  • >>>
United States

as another mass [censored] takes place you still have people clinching their fists an pushing strict rules on drone users.  probably a right winger that called on you.  they are the ones showing up online pushing the regs.  tough guy approach.
2023-5-10
Use props
Ms Ivy
Second Officer
United States

djiuser_EEXtim8SFbZ6 Posted at 5-10 07:09
as another mass [censored] takes place you still have people clinching their fists an pushing strict rules on drone users.  probably a right winger that called on you.  they are the ones showing up online pushing the regs.  tough guy approach.

as long as they leave the guns at home
2023-5-10
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106526 ft
Canada

Ms Ivy Posted at 5-10 19:02
as long as they leave the guns at home

(Unfortunately, they don't buy them to leave them at home.)

Well done with the Karen. That's about as prepared as a drone pilot can be. Thanks for sharing and for helping to give the rest of us a good name.

2023-5-11
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

as another mass [censored] takes place you still have people clinching their fists an pushing strict rules on drone users.  probably a right winger that called on you.  they are the ones showing up online pushing the regs.  tough guy approach.

You have that backwards.
2023-5-11
Use props
Vtcats
lvl.4
Flight distance : 199518 ft
United States

as another mass [censored] takes place you still have people clinching their fists an pushing strict rules on drone users.  probably a right winger that called on you.  they are the ones showing up online pushing the regs.  tough guy approach.

Curios to where you live. I can tell you “Karen’s” in the northeast are most definitely not RIGHT wingers….
2023-5-11
Use props
OJsakila
lvl.2
Flight distance : 409948 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is a GREAT idea to have this sheet to "hand out."  I would suggest, however, that you go back through that sheet and verify that your grammar and spelling are correct.  I noticed multiple grammar errors just passing through it.  GREAT IDEA!!!!!  +1
2023-5-11
Use props
OJsakila
lvl.2
Flight distance : 409948 ft
  • >>>
United States

About as uneducated a post as I could possibly think up.  What a muddled thought.
2023-5-11
Use props
AJ squared away
lvl.3

United States

Thank You Ms Ivy, I'm  going to use your flyer because I know sooner or later some drone hater is going to call on me too . Its unfortunate that some can't get around their paranoid effect that they think your spying on someone . I have much more interesting landscape to shoot than spying on people . Most drone haters are not well informed nor do they care to be .
2023-5-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Spikes Mavic Posted at 5-16 12:57
Hi
Could you post on here what you put on your  print, or email me a copy, obvously not the  part where you are going to be flying .

Sure,   I print these and then cut them in half.   One is <250g and the other for flying under Article 16 which lets me fly Mavic 2 Pro upto 35m from people and not the 150m bubble that we should be in

Drone Rules Handout.pdf

369.64 KB, Down times: 12

2023-5-16
Use props
Ms Ivy
Second Officer
United States

AJ squared away Posted at 5-16 14:24
Thank You Ms Ivy, I'm  going to use your flyer because I know sooner or later some drone hater is going to call on me too . Its unfortunate that some can't get around their paranoid effect that they think your spying on someone . I have much more interesting landscape to shoot than spying on people . Most drone haters are not well informed nor do they care to be .

Indeed , You can change it too to fit your requirements better
2023-5-17
Use props
Ms Ivy
Second Officer
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-16 23:46
Sure,   I print these and then cut them in half.   One is

That is awesome DAfly thanks for sharing ..
I would  like strongly encouraged others drone operators that have secrets & tips that they want to share with other drone pilots to please pass them on to the community . this will be a growing concern as drone become more mainstream
2023-5-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ms Ivy Posted at 5-17 06:49
That is awesome DAfly thanks for sharing ..
I would  like strongly encouraged others drone operators that have secrets & tips that they want to share with other drone pilots to please pass them on to the community . this will be a growing concern as drone become more mainstream

No probs Ms Ivy.   I had actually shared these in another thread a few weeks ago.
2023-5-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules