dusty landing/take offs
1569 13 2015-8-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DMB2015
lvl.2

Canada

Flew the other day. Took off from a gravel road. It is very dry here and thus the ground, particularily a gravel road is very dusty. When I took off and landed I noticed a lot of dust. When I got home and was givinng the bird a close examination for cracks etc, I noticed a film of dust covered the bird. I also noticed that when I manually spun the motors there was a slight catching/grinding sensation. I beleive this fine dust got inbetween the contacts in the motor. I gave the bird a slightly damp wipe down and I blew strongly directly into the motors. This seemed to get the grit out of the motors.  Anyway just thought I would post, to perhaps have other avoid these conditons.
2015-8-24
Use props
Gabe R
lvl.4

United States

Always best to hand catch for this exact reason. When you feel up for the challenge you can also hand launch.
2015-8-24
Use props
Rigworker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

I agree you probably had some grit in the motors. There are no contacts aka brushes in the motors though. Clearances are pretty tight and i can see how sand could cause noise/binding. I have a small square of plywood i use if i am going to take off and land in dirty areas.
2015-8-24
Use props
spheasant1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

For cleaning dust off the Phantom and from the motors, I would used compressed air they use for cleaning electronics.    In addition, as Rigworker states, use a 2'x2' piece of...well...anything really (cardboard, plywood, floor panels, etc) to launch and land your bird.
2015-8-24
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

Since I hike in the mountains with my P3, I carry in my backpack a rolled-up rubber mat.  Works great for dust-free take-offs and landings.
2015-8-24
Use props
goa1
lvl.1

Australia

the one we use for work is always in the padlock.  I now use auto take off and hold it well above the ground  its a great way to launch... no dust..   and catch it on auto landing, as soon as it stops descending it shuts down in your hand.  very easy to do
2015-8-24
Use props
ScottyT
lvl.4

Australia

goa1 Posted at 2015-8-25 09:36
the one we use for work is always in the padlock.  I now use auto take off and hold it well above th ...

After having experienced flips on auto-take off and even arming, not sure I'd be too keen to hand launch.

It that sucker flips those blades could do some damage if they hit you in the face and eyes.
2015-8-24
Use props
wordsaremything
lvl.3

United States

I launch all the time in dusty, sandy areas but that rubber mat idea sounds like a winner!
2015-8-24
Use props
spheasant1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

HunterBrooks Posted at 2015-8-25 09:04
Since I hike in the mountains with my P3, I carry in my backpack a rolled-up rubber mat.  Works grea ...

How thick is your rubber mat and where did you purchase it?
2015-8-24
Use props
jayhkr
lvl.4

United States

I made a Heli-Pad out of Plexi-glass and carriage bolts.  This might help too!

2015-8-24
Use props
DMB2015
lvl.2

Canada

thanks for the suggestions everyone.  i would prefer to stay away from the hand catch/take off method. I cut the tendon in my finger with a chisel years ago and am paying the price. rather not risk another injury, plus i am using carbon blades !!!! the plywood is good idea but when hiking into remote locations, carrying that extra stuff is not practicable. the rubber mat sounds good,  or just off my phantom backpack, but I still think given  how dry it is, dust would likely still fly.  
2015-8-24
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

spheasant1 Posted at 2015-8-25 10:53
How thick is your rubber mat and where did you purchase it?

From Home Depot - $6.97 a roll - 48 in. x 20 in. Black Ultra Grip Drawer/Shelf Liner.  I also cut a large piece for the backpack to lay down on to keep it outta the dirt, which you can see rolled up on the side of the backpack below.  The landing pad piece is folded inside the backpack.

Dakine Backpack

Dakine Backpack

2015-8-24
Use props
deanO Aussie
lvl.2
New Zealand

I launch off my backpack case if it looks too dusty.
2015-8-24
Use props
spheasant1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

HunterBrooks Posted at 2015-8-25 12:42
From Home Depot - $6.97 a roll - 48 in. x 20 in. Black Ultra Grip Drawer/Shelf Liner.  I also cut a ...

Great idea!.....thanks for the information!
2015-8-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules