Again lost amazing shots due to the update’s reset of settings
1671 37 2023-5-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sbonev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Colombia

How hard is to have a save or quick load a set of settings? Most are saved but the raw are not!!! It's really annoying, I've lost a lot of footage due to the recent update and after spending half day trying to update it I definitely regret doing so. It had ruined several locations! And I'm traveling so can't think all the time about how dji updated and I have to redo all settings regarding the raw format and all the others are the same. Pure stupidity!!!! Lately it's only issues with dji software, if it continues I'll give up on that brand!
2023-5-1
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

That's really, really sad!  
And it should be possible to save all these data in a separate file so that it can be reconstructed at any time!  
You can really expect that and it should also be quite easy to realize for DJI...

... and as already mentioned several times, this also applies to waypoint data, for example, which are somehow very important!
2023-5-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

How hard is it to remember to check settings after an update?
2023-5-1
Use props
UweE
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1016775 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Labroides Posted at 5-1 22:13

That's not the point!

I made some photos over the weekend and was surprised, not to have RAW-files available!
This setting stayed in former firmware-update! So there was no reason for me to check this.
2023-5-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yep,   got caught out too with raw being disabled for me.     PITA really,  and DJI should allow us to backup setting to the cloud.
2023-5-1
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
Japan

Same.

Some settings you can reset on the ground so can be put back at the time of updating.

Others however, such as panorama raw can only be accessed by going into that mode during flight.  And those are the times i forget.

2023-5-1
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

I just follow a simple practice.
Either dont update specially if you are busy in work
Or if you update, after update factory reset then redo your settings that has kept me away from any kind surprises.

As a pilot I would say its your duty to double check all the settings before you fly & start shooting.

I wish Dji can actually save the current settings however this has a potential of creating issues.
2023-5-2
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Colombia

Labroides Posted at 5-1 22:13

Hard when you are traveling and have only 10 min to fly…before going to another place. And I’m pretty sure there was one update in between that did not reset them.
2023-5-2
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Colombia

gnirtS Posted at 5-1 23:50
Same.

Some settings you can reset on the ground so can be put back at the time of updating.

Yeah, that is the stupidest thing. Not being able to see the panorama shots settings on the ground
2023-5-2
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Colombia

Ranjan Posted at 5-2 01:33
I just follow a simple practice.
Either dont update specially if you are busy in work
Or if you update, after update factory reset then redo your settings that has kept me away from any kind surprises.

True, I try to do it. Unfortunately that day I spent half an hour to find a good spot and had only 10 min to fly. And as the previous update didn’t reset anything, it totally slipped my mind. But still a warning or anything like quick settings setup would be like the minimum they could implement. Current situation is ridiculous to have to set some settings when done on the ground and still go through others when in flight…
2023-5-2
Use props
_SoP_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 951020 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I can second Ranjan. Typically, I first read about integrated fixes/improvements and (even more important) known issues of an update before applying.  And second, when I decide to apply an update, I always make sure to have a test flight to check if everything is working (again) as expected. If I can't do one of those, I postpone the update until I can do both.
However, I agree that backing up and re-applying settings would be very nice and comfortable, but 25 years of experience in the SW industry tell me that a simple migration of settings can be the source of many new issues...
2023-5-2
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Japan

sbonev Posted at 5-2 03:39
Hard when you are traveling and have only 10 min to fly…before going to another place. And I’m pretty sure there was one update in between that did not reset them.

Correct, the previous update last month didn't reset, the one before that did.

If i could access *all* the settings on the ground i wouldn't mind as much but you can't.  Things like pano are only selectable in-flight.
2023-5-2
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Colombia

gnirtS Posted at 5-2 05:19
Correct, the previous update last month didn't reset, the one before that did.

If i could access *all* the settings on the ground i wouldn't mind as much but you can't.  Things like pano are only selectable in-flight.

I thought for one they started improving things also. They either forgot to reset or did it on purpose and somebody forgot that bit of code in the last update… But with recent issues I’m less confident I can rely on dji software… today spent half an hour and 15% battery unlocking an authorization zone. SMS were arriving with a looong delay or not at all!
2023-5-2
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

sbonev Posted at 5-2 07:19
I thought for one they started improving things also. They either forgot to reset or did it on purpose and somebody forgot that bit of code in the last update… But with recent issues I’m less confident I can rely on dji software… today spent half an hour and 15% battery unlocking an authorization zone. SMS were arriving with a looong delay or not at all!

Hi, there. Sorry for the late response. May we know if you still not hear back from our teams about the unlocking request? If so, could you please tell us your email address and SN for further analysis?
2023-5-2
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Colombia

DJI Wanda Posted at 5-2 07:27
Hi, there. Sorry for the late response. May we know if you still not hear back from our teams about the unlocking request? If so, could you please tell us your email address and SN for further analysis?

I have unlocked after wasting half an hour, and that before my airplane flight…had to run afterwards and to rush the drone flight a bit.
2023-5-2
Use props
primeshooter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1433114 ft
United Kingdom

It is idiotic. But dji still have not provided a raw only mode or fixed the atrocious file name issue so cannot say I am surprised this also remains unfixed. I too have been caught out with this
2023-5-2
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 5-2 07:27

Hi Wanda, could you please forward this to the techs.

An update and restore of the camera settings is required, all it needs to do is save them to a .XML file.
Then an option to save that file in a chosen location.

I use various apps that can do this, such as Fully Kiosk, MacroMedia, Actiontiles...
2023-5-2
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

sbonev Posted at 5-2 07:19
I thought for one they started improving things also. They either forgot to reset or did it on purpose and somebody forgot that bit of code in the last update… But with recent issues I’m less confident I can rely on dji software… today spent half an hour and 15% battery unlocking an authorization zone. SMS were arriving with a looong delay or not at all!

Had similar issues - seems to be Fly App related.

For a full day SMS just simply never arrived at all to unlock - ended up grabbing my Mavic 2 which did work.

Second time, same place, i unlocked online before hand, downloaded the unlock code to the drone in the house, went to fly....wanted an SMS.  Which luckily this time did arrive.

Ive got no faith at all in DJIs unlocking system either on site OR in advance.  Ive lost several days because of it.
2023-5-2
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
United States

gnirtS Posted at 5-2 18:40
Had similar issues - seems to be Fly App related.

For a full day SMS just simply never arrived at all to unlock - ended up grabbing my Mavic 2 which did work.

Yeah, lately I’ve been experiencing a lot of issues flying, off all sorts. I have the feeling the software part is going for the worse. Can’t rely on the drone at all, from logging me out in mid flight and thus losing connection to the drone tío issues updating the firmware, then resetting the settings on a random pattern and now unlocking. It’s becoming a lot less pleasure to fly the drone…
2023-5-3
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
United States

Bashy Posted at 5-2 14:44

An update and restore of the camera settings is required, all it needs to do is save them to a .XML file.

Yeah, perhaps after several years…I’m pretty sure they don’t know why exactly they reset them
2023-5-3
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

sbonev Posted at 5-3 03:53
Yeah, perhaps after several years…I’m pretty sure they don’t know why exactly they reset them

I think its because the RC does a reset during the FW update process, what it should do, much like phones, take a snapshot of the settings, save that in a partition, do the update, reset the RC, apply snapshot of settings, J.D.
2023-5-3
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

sbonev Posted at 5-2 07:30
I have unlocked after wasting half an hour, and that before my airplane flight…had to run afterwards and to rush the drone flight a bit.

Sorry for the late response and the unpleasant experience you had. If you had any issues with unlocking, you may contact our flysafe teams via email : flysafe@dji.com
2023-5-4
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Bashy Posted at 5-2 14:44

Sorry for the late response. Do you mean to keep the camera settings even after the firmware update?
2023-5-4
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Spain

DJI Wanda Posted at 5-4 04:58
Sorry for the late response. Do you mean to keep the camera settings even after the firmware update?

Of course!!! Is it that strange for people to want not to have the settings reset after every firmware update???! There is no joy in setting every time  different settings in different modes, some of which require for the drone to be in flight, contrary to the opinion of your developers, I guess!!!!
2023-5-4
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 5-4 04:58

Hi, yes, that is correct, if we could save the settings beforehand then apply them after an update would be good.

As a side note, DJI could eliminate it from the users control and just implement it in the background, and it would auto-save at the beginning of the update process and restore when complete, either way would work. Obviously, an SD card or save to something like GDrive etc would be needed for this to work.
2023-5-4
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

sbonev Posted at 5-4 18:33
Of course!!! Is it that strange for people to want not to have the settings reset after every firmware update???! There is no joy in setting every time  different settings in different modes, some of which require for the drone to be in flight, contrary to the opinion of your developers, I guess!!!!

Got it. I will consult this issue with our engineers first.
2023-5-4
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Bashy Posted at 5-4 19:33
Hi, yes, that is correct, if we could save the settings beforehand then apply them after an update would be good.

As a side note, DJI could eliminate it from the users control and just implement it in the background, and it would auto-save at the beginning of the update process and restore when complete, either way would work. Obviously, an SD card or save to something like GDrive etc would be needed for this to work.

Hi, Bashy & sbonev. We escalated your advice to our engineers' department.
They have noticed your feedback. We will document your concerns and forward them to the R&D department for evaluation.
Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-5-6
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 5-6 05:06
They have noticed your feedback. We will document your concerns and forward them to the R&D department for evaluation.

Thank you, we can all but hope
2023-5-6
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Switzerland

thanks, fingers crossed.
2023-5-7
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Bashy Posted at 5-6 06:40
Thank you, we can all but hope

2023-5-7
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

sbonev Posted at 5-7 01:51
thanks, fingers crossed.

We wish they can hear your voices and update in the nearest future, too.
2023-5-7
Use props
GuiG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 780548 ft
Netherlands

I Agree, I had to Re-fly a complete assignment because all my d-log and raw settings were gone after an update. It would be ok if we have to change it on one location. But for every mode we have to set the raw settings again. I would like to be able to backup to the RC and copy the backup files to my computer. I just lost a drone, and had to reconfigure everything. I lost my created hyperlapses that I was planning to fly for a year but those I cannot backup or save. So a general backup that can be restored is necessary.
2023-5-13
Use props
GuiG
lvl.3
Netherlands

Please ask them to create a backup solution for the drone.

I want to back up the drone to an RC or the DJI Fly app. And then to my local computer or Phone. Not only the settings but also the hyperlapses and other missions we set.

I just lost a drone and lost the hyperlapses. I was planning to fly them for a year every week. Now I have to reset them again, hoping that I have the exact location.

And if possible, a central location where I can review and set the settings. next to the bottom of the screen.

2023-5-13
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

GuiG Posted at 5-13 09:43
Please ask them to create a backup solution for the drone.

I want to back up the drone to an RC or the DJI Fly app. And then to my local computer or Phone. Not only the settings but also the hyperlapses and other missions we set.

Hello, there. Thank you for your feedback and advice. We will forward it to our engineers as well.
Sorry to hear that you lost your drone. About the task library function is added in Hyperlapse(Waypoint), here are some informations below:  
1. Uninstalling the app will delete the task library.
2. The task library cannot be exported.  It doesn't support transferring or backup a Task Library. It can only be saved in the app. There is no Transfer or Backup function. Once the user deletes the app, the entire Task Library will be cleared.
3. The task library can be used when switching between models in the app on the same mobile phone.
4. The task library can be used when switching between accounts in the app on the same mobile phone.
5 .The task library can only be saved in the app. There is no Transfer or Backup function. Once the user deletes the app, the entire Task Library will be cleared.
6. During Waypoint Hyperlapse, Task Library does not record camera parameters.
Hope this can help you.
2023-5-14
Use props
GuiG
lvl.3
Netherlands

DJI Wanda Posted at 5-14 03:24
Hello, there. Thank you for your feedback and advice. We will forward it to our engineers as well.
Sorry to hear that you lost your drone. About the task library function is added in Hyperlapse(Waypoint), here are some informations below:  
1. Uninstalling the app will delete the task library.

Hi,

I have an RC. Fortunately, I found that the hyper lapses are stored on the RC, not on the Drone.

Why does the Task Library not record camera parameters? I have to set the camera for almost every mode separately. I want to record all videos in every mode in 4K 30fps and photos in Jpeg+RAW in every mode.
If that resets with every upgrade, resetting it takes a lot of time. And some modes I even cannot configure on the ground but have to do that in flight.
That means for me that when I am at the customer. When time is tight, I have to be aware that my camera settings could have changed, so I have to check everything, which takes time. And there is a risk that I have to re-fly the whole mission when I see halfway that a setting is incorrect. Because the images are useless. Configuring in flight takes time for the battery life, so less time flying for the customer is more battery use and less flying time for the customer, and I have to recharge my batteries quicker because I could not prepare for the flight at home.

So I would love to be able to set the default settings for the camera for all the different modes centrally when the drone is on the ground. And even preferably in the DJI Fly app, I can push the settings before a flight. And I want to be able to back up them in case the drone and the controller get stolen. Or the phone is lost.

So why not make the task library exportable, and camera-aware? Maybe have a system default for all the drones, specifically per drone. And be able to change the setting(not the default) in flight if it needs to be. See the RC and the DJI-Fly app as the central command console for all connected drones, including drone and camera settings.

I expected it to be when I chose the RC.
2023-5-14
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

GuiG Posted at 5-14 04:10
Hi,

I have an RC. Fortunately, I found that the hyper lapses are stored on the RC, not on the Drone.

Got it. We have copied the post link to them. We hope they can see and consider your advice.
2023-5-15
Use props
GuiG
lvl.3
Netherlands

DJI Wanda Posted at 5-15 05:54
Got it. We have copied the post link to them. We hope they can see and consider your advice.

Thank you!
2023-7-26
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

You are most welcome.
2023-7-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules