12Next >
3269 41 2023-5-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 474537 ft
United States

Is there a larger battery for the mavic 3/pro? Either dji or 3rd party. Like how they made a normal and plus battery for the mini 3. Dji claimes 43/46 mins flight but real flight time is only like 28-29 minutes. Instead of just buying more batteries and having to being the drone back to replace the battery, i would like a larger battery to stay up in the air longer.
2023-5-2
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

there's no oem larger battery (genuine) and i am unaware of a third party knockoff either (which you shouldnt really be using).
2023-5-2
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
United States

The Saint Posted at 5-2 11:10
there's no oem larger battery (genuine) and i am unaware of a third party knockoff either (which you shouldnt really be using).

I have no problems using 3rd party batteries. I run tons of rc heli, trucks, boats with different brands of batteries and they all performed the same as long as voltage/cells is same. Dji/brand names dont want you to use other brands so you will buy their own. The mavic 3 been out over a year, i am surprised there hasnt been a larger plus batteries for extended flight times.
2023-5-2
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC Posted at 5-2 11:19
I have no problems using 3rd party batteries. I run tons of rc heli, trucks, boats with different brands of batteries and they all performed the same as long as voltage/cells is same. Dji/brand names dont want you to use other brands so you will buy their own. The mavic 3 been out over a year, i am surprised there hasnt been a larger plus batteries for extended flight times.

dont forget these are smart batteries and while i don't know exactly what that entails, it might have something to do with why we don't more.  yes, there are a few knockoff out there but they are clones of the same oem battery, not better.  perhaps it's not as easy to knockoff a battery AND produce more run time at a cheaper cost.  these are $200 batteries, it's hard to pay $250 to temporarily get more flight time.  not saying it cannot be done but i don't see the market for it especially when the oem battery performs as well.  i completely understand why dji does not want you to use a counterfeit battery, i'm surprised they don't block them.  as you mentioned, it's been over a year now so warranties are expiring, drones are getting old, people need replacement batteries, etc. perhaps we see something soon.
2023-5-2
Use props
dronethemoment
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9021293 ft
  • >>>
United States

I do love the fly more batteries on the mini 3 pro other than the weight puts it over 249g.  The hyperlapse time is amazing.  I agree with OP it would be great to have an extended Mavic 3 battery.  I usually get 30-33 minutes of hyperlapse time on Mavic 3 before I need to land. The mini3 pro gives me over 40 minutes and time to spare.

It will definitely increase the weight of the Mavic 3 and could cause issues with certain regulations.
2023-5-2
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC. Thank you for reaching out. Currently, there's only 1 variation of Intelligent Flight Battery for the Mavic 3 Series but I will take it as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention. All significant suggestions will be implemented after the evaluation of our relevant team. As for the max flight time, please note that it is measured in a controlled test environment. Specific test conditions are as follows: flying at a constant speed of 32.4 kph in a windless environment at sea level, with APAS off, AirSense off, camera parameters set to 1080p/24fps, video mode off, and from 100% battery level until 0%. Results may vary depending on the environment, actual use, and firmware version. Thank you for your kind understanding.
2023-5-2
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
United States

The Saint Posted at 5-2 12:17
dont forget these are smart batteries and while i don't know exactly what that entails, it might have something to do with why we don't more.  yes, there are a few knockoff out there but they are clones of the same oem battery, not better.  perhaps it's not as easy to knockoff a battery AND produce more run time at a cheaper cost.  these are $200 batteries, it's hard to pay $250 to temporarily get more flight time.  not saying it cannot be done but i don't see the market for it especially when the oem battery performs as well.  i completely understand why dji does not want you to use a counterfeit battery, i'm surprised they don't block them.  as you mentioned, it's been over a year now so warranties are expiring, drones are getting old, people need replacement batteries, etc. perhaps we see something soon.

Dji batteries are smart batteries because they are program to discharge when not in use so its not always at full capacity. These types of battery do not want to be storage full capacity or they will swell up. Normal lipo batteries you see in rc cars/trucks, they arent smart batteries so they dont discharge by themselves. Try leaving a full lipo battery in storage for a few months. Come back and it will be like twice the size lol.
2023-5-2
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12401030 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Gamora Posted at 5-2 19:18
Hi, djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC. Thank you for reaching out. Currently, there's only 1 variation of Intelligent Flight Battery for the Mavic 3 Series but I will take it as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention. All significant suggestions will be implemented after the evaluation of our relevant team. As for the max flight time, please note that it is measured in a controlled test environment. Specific test conditions are as follows: flying at a constant speed of 32.4 kph in a windless environment at sea level, with APAS off, AirSense off, camera parameters set to 1080p/24fps, video mode off, and from 100% battery level until 0%. Results may vary depending on the environment, actual use, and firmware version. Thank you for your kind understanding.

Hi Gamora,

I am but surprised reading the specs for how DJI establish the max flight time and publish this max flight time as great result.
It is done from 100% to 0% battery !

But it is never a good idea (for battery health and for flight safety)  to drain in flight your battery to 0%

Would it not be more realistic and more honesty to publish Max Flight time from 100% to, let say, 20% battery?

cheers
JJB
2023-5-2
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

JJB* Posted at 5-2 23:35
Hi Gamora,

I am but surprised reading the specs for how DJI establish the max flight time and publish this max flight time as great result.

I think that 100% to 0% is related to the 0.1 volt that you are allowed to use, without damaging the batteries. We (for we, I mean at the club) rarely go below 3.7 per cell and they seem to last much longer...

So, we really never go below 50%
2023-5-3
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi Gamora,

Hi, JJB*. Measuring maximum flight time from 100% to 0% battery is just an accurate representation of the total battery life. As you mentioned, it's generally not recommended to drain a lithium-ion battery completely in flight, as this can negatively impact its overall health and lifespan. Additionally, if the battery level drops too low during flight, it can cause the drone to lose power and potentially crash. Thank you for your kind understanding.
2023-5-4
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27904331 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Hi Gamora,

Hi JJB*,
but it is a completely different question whether 0% is displayed when the battery really has 0% charge.  
In my opinion, it would be a good idea for DJI to display "0%" when the battery is still charged enough that it can't be destroyed under any circumstances.  
At the beginning I saw videos where some flew far "below" 0%, but of course they constantly got warnings...
2023-5-4
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

i think it's similar to a car where you publish the number of miles the car will travel on a full tank (down to 0) which is 350 miles, for example.  this makes it easier to compare across brands and models.  even thought few people will run their gas tank to completely empty, the figure proves useful.  otherwise, dji could publish the times at 50%, 25%, etc but that might be confusing to some.
2023-5-4
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Gamora Posted at 5-4 05:53
Hi, JJB*. Measuring maximum flight time from 100% to 0% battery is just an accurate representation of the total battery life. As you mentioned, it's generally not recommended to drain a lithium-ion battery completely in flight, as this can negatively impact its overall health and lifespan. Additionally, if the battery level drops too low during flight, it can cause the drone to lose power and potentially crash. Thank you for your kind understanding.

Hi Gamora,

Understand that 100 to 0% battery is good for accurate representation of battery life.
Nice to compare battery life of different drones like this.

BUT for sure it is not showing the usefull actual flight time.

Amazing 46 minutes for a MAVIC3, see the picture  attached a [2] note (See Note2 as well)

Explanation of the 46 flighttime, with a remark for pay attention to the RTH reminders.
Nice but misleading! Now i still think you can fly 46 minutes.

What about the critical low battery warning wich makes the drone autoland and cannot be cancelled ??

So 46 minutes is great selling point but not the truth of real flight time, i guess you agree with me that minimum of 10% is for the forced landing wich i do not count in for normal flight time.

If only the [ 2 ] note was correct,  than again imo not correct to write 46 minutes but than i cannot complain   ;-)

cheers
JJB
maxtime1.png
maxtime2.png
2023-5-4
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

The Saint Posted at 5-4 08:04
i think it's similar to a car where you publish the number of miles the car will travel on a full tank (down to 0) which is 350 miles, for example.  this makes it easier to compare across brands and models.  even thought few people will run their gas tank to completely empty, the figure proves useful.  otherwise, dji could publish the times at 50%, 25%, etc but that might be confusing to some.

yeah, but EV cars does not force me to park and stop my car at 10% reamining batteey level.

For cars nice for comparision etc. For drones nice for comparison but not for real usefull flight time!

cheers
JJB
2023-5-4
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
United States

The advertisement for 46 minutes is misleading. Cause you will not get 46 min of flight time. Try it and you will lose your drone lol. The realistic flight time of the mavic 3 is about 30 mins top. That is no where near the 46 min advertisement. If we can get 46 min of real flight time b4 needing to return that would be cool.
2023-5-4
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

we live in a litigious society these days.  unfortunately battery life is no longer a marketing term.  you publish whatever the results you get from verified lab testing.  this way you have solid proof should you find having to legally defend yourself.  at this point, this is the normal for the "electronics industry" and honestly, i don't see a trend towards anything different.  whether we are talking about mobile phones or electronic cars or duracell batteries.  we learned long time ago, don't guess....publish the "facts."  after all, we tried it the other way.  too much confusion, lots of bloviating, a ton of extenuating factors, conditions that cannot be replicated in real life....left us with numbers that are unusable, cannot be compared, and quite frankly misleading or fabricated.  customers were very unhappy.  where we are today is just about everybody knows the number is best case, baked in a lab, and ymmv.  it's like cars and mpg.  it got so bad the government had to publish the rules to rein in the violators.  we don't want that drones do we?
2023-5-4
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

also wanted to add, as long as there is no malicious intent to deceive, not misleading.  my opinion.
2023-5-4
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 13381447 ft
  • >>>
United States

In my experience with the Mavic 3, even achieving a 30 minute flight is rare. Very rare. Even if you do reach this flight time you're landing at or below 10% battery. Which is terrible for battery health. So if my math is correct, using 30 mins as the actual max flight time, this is only 65% of the advertised max flight time. Can you name any other consumer good that would get away with only 65% of what they claim?
2023-5-4
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Johnnokomis Posted at 5-4 13:17
In my experience with the Mavic 3, even achieving a 30 minute flight is rare. Very rare. Even if you do reach this flight time you're landing at or below 10% battery. Which is terrible for battery health. So if my math is correct, using 30 mins as the actual max flight time, this is only 65% of the advertised max flight time. Can you name any other consumer good that would get away with only 65% of what they claim?

not trying to be obtuse but i'm not sure what you mean "getting away with" and making a "claim."

here's what i see published by dji:

"3. Flight Time was measured with Mavic 3 Pro flying at a constant speed of 32.4 kph in a windless environment at sea level until the battery level reached 0%. Data is for reference only. Please pay attention to RTH reminders in the DJI Fly app during your flight."

if you have the dji test results and you see something different, please let us know.
2023-5-4
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 5-4 13:24
not trying to be obtuse but i'm not sure what you mean "getting away with" and making a "claim."

here's what i see published by dji:

Okay let's put this another way. Pretend you own a bakery, you order 100 lbs of flour. When the order arrives and you find out it's only 65 lbs. How would you feel? Is that within margin of error or are you going to be upset?

If these test were done at sea level then it means they were done very close to the ground (obviously). Just a few days ago I pushed a battery more than I usually do. Low battery auto landing took control at 8% or 9%. So how could their test be all the way to 0%?

Of course I don't have DJI's test results because they don't publish or share them. Them keeping this a secret isn't a valid excuse here.
2023-5-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Johnnokomis Posted at 5-4 15:14
Okay let's put this another way. Pretend you own a bakery, you order 100 lbs of flour. When the order arrives and you find out it's only 65 lbs. How would you feel? Is that within margin of error or are you going to be upset?

If these test were done at sea level then it means they were done very close to the ground (obviously). Just a few days ago I pushed a battery more than I usually do. Low battery auto landing took control at 8% or 9%. So how could their test be all the way to 0%?

Okay let's put this another way. Pretend you own a bakery, you order 100 lbs of flour. When the order arrives and you find out it's only 65 lbs. How would you feel?
Your analogy is not valid.
DJI don't promise 100 pounds of flour and deliver 65 pounds at all.
They specify a max flight time and tell you the details you'd need to follow to get something close to their 100 pounds.

DJI's specs are a good and valid figure for comparison just as a car manufacturer's gas mileage numbers are.
The car maker's numbers are also under strictly controlled conditions to squeeze out the most they can and you will never achieve those numbers in your daily driving.

But what else can DJI or car makers do?
Everyone has their own kind of driving/flying and conditions.
They will all get different results.
Test results under controlled conditions are the only way to give an indication of battery life, even if it is under controlled conditions.

If you want to get DJI specs flight time you have to fly in a controlled test environmentwith no wind, at sea level, constant flight speed of 32.4 kph, APAS off, AirSense off, camera parameters set to 1080p/24fps, video mode off, and flying from 100% battery to 0% battery.
Anyone who has flown for a while should understand that every time you  slow and then accelerate the drone, every time you climb, you use more  battery than in DJI's testing.
If you fly faster or slower, if you push against a headwind you use more battery.

2023-5-4
Use props
Drey. I
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1757375 ft
  • >>>
United States

No actually
2023-5-4
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Johnnokomis Posted at 5-4 15:14
Okay let's put this another way. Pretend you own a bakery, you order 100 lbs of flour. When the order arrives and you find out it's only 65 lbs. How would you feel? Is that within margin of error or are you going to be upset?

if you have a claim against dji, you can take them to court and force them to share their test results.  the reason no one has done that is because it's almost completely likely they have those test results and they are not faking them.  i know i wouldn't be caught faking the numbers or exaggerating the numbers trying to make my incapable devices look good.  but you are welcome to go that route if you don't believe it.  my guess is you know they have those results but you are instead, more interested in having real world numbers published rather than test results, is that correct?  battery life testing is scientific; it's not a guessing game, there are no estimates, and an honest company won't take their results and add 25% to them just to be better.  if you honestly believe dji is not being honest, you have options.

your bakery example is totally irrelevant, i'm not going to address it.
2023-5-4
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 5-4 16:01
if you have a claim against dji, you can take them to court and force them to share their test results.  the reason no one has done that is because it's almost completely likely they have those test results and they are not faking them.  i know i wouldn't be caught faking the numbers or exaggerating the numbers trying to make my incapable devices look good.  but you are welcome to go that route if you don't believe it.  my guess is you know they have those results but you are instead, more interested in having real world numbers published rather than test results, is that correct?  battery life testing is scientific; it's not a guessing game, there are no estimates, and an honest company won't take their results and add 25% to them just to be better.  if you honestly believe dji is not being honest, you have options.

your bakery example is totally irrelevant, i'm not going to address it.

I'm not mad about the Mavic 3's battery life. In fact I'm perfectly happy with how much flight time we can get with just one battery. I think DJI did a great job in how efficient they've made this little drone. I just think it's lousy marketing in how they try and sell it by padding the spec sheet. There's clearly nothing even close to compete with it, so why oversell it like this? It'll just make the Mavic 4 someday harder to sell.

If you didn't like the bakery analogy let me use a more real-world example.  DeWalt power tool's most popular line in the USA is their 20 volt MAX series. However this product line can't be found in any other country. Instead they offer the 18 volt XR series. Guess what though, it's the same exact thing. The fully charged, nominal voltage, is 20V but drops quickly once used. Their marketing dept decided calling it 20 volts would slide in America but European countries wouldn't allow such shady practices to happen. So they had to rename the tool line to 18v XR. This is only a 10% difference but wouldn't be allowed. So why does DJI get a pass with a 25%-35% spec bump?
2023-5-4
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Johnnokomis Posted at 5-4 17:02
I'm not mad about the Mavic 3's battery life. In fact I'm perfectly happy with how much flight time we can get with just one battery. I think DJI did a great job in how efficient they've made this little drone. I just think it's lousy marketing in how they try and sell it by padding the spec sheet. There's clearly nothing even close to compete with it, so why oversell it like this? It'll just make the Mavic 4 someday harder to sell.

If you didn't like the bakery analogy let me use a more real-world example.  DeWalt power tool's most popular line in the USA is their 20 volt MAX series. However this product line can't be found in any other country. Instead they offer the 18 volt XR series. Guess what though, it's the same exact thing. The fully charged, nominal voltage, is 20V but drops quickly once used. Their marketing dept decided calling it 20 volts would slide in America but European countries wouldn't allow such shady practices to happen. So they had to rename the tool line to 18v XR. This is only a 10% difference but wouldn't be allowed. So why does DJI get a pass with a 25%-35% spec bump?

what would you do if dji produced documentation explaining their test setup and recorded data and it shows the exact number of minutes they observed from their fully charged battery as 46 minutes max, would you believe it?
2023-5-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Johnnokomis Posted at 5-4 17:02
I'm not mad about the Mavic 3's battery life. In fact I'm perfectly happy with how much flight time we can get with just one battery. I think DJI did a great job in how efficient they've made this little drone. I just think it's lousy marketing in how they try and sell it by padding the spec sheet. There's clearly nothing even close to compete with it, so why oversell it like this? It'll just make the Mavic 4 someday harder to sell.

If you didn't like the bakery analogy let me use a more real-world example.  DeWalt power tool's most popular line in the USA is their 20 volt MAX series. However this product line can't be found in any other country. Instead they offer the 18 volt XR series. Guess what though, it's the same exact thing. The fully charged, nominal voltage, is 20V but drops quickly once used. Their marketing dept decided calling it 20 volts would slide in America but European countries wouldn't allow such shady practices to happen. So they had to rename the tool line to 18v XR. This is only a 10% difference but wouldn't be allowed. So why does DJI get a pass with a 25%-35% spec bump?

So why does DJI get a pass with a 25%-35% spec bump?
It's been explained to you.
It's quite simple, but you just don't want to understand.
2023-5-4
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

Almost everything sold today has exagerated specs. DJI is nowhere near as bad as others. From MPG, to burgers, to TV pictures, to paint. EVERYBODY does it.
2023-5-4
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 5-4 18:06
what would you do if dji produced documentation explaining their test setup and recorded data and it shows the exact number of minutes they observed from their fully charged battery as 46 minutes max, would you believe it?

I'll make it even easier than that. Show me the Airdata UAV flight log of this 46 minute flight and I'll appologize to Mr. Frank Wang himself. Lets see it DJI.
2023-5-4
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 5-4 18:30
Almost everything sold today has exagerated specs. DJI is nowhere near as bad as others. From MPG, to burgers, to TV pictures, to paint. EVERYBODY does it.

So since everybody has flown BVLOS at least once does that make it ok? I mean it's fine by me but I'm sure the FAA doesn't use your logic here.
2023-5-4
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Any sane lawyer would take one look at the merits of this complaint, and tell you that it would be insane to challenge DJI in court on this.  This juice is not worth the squeeze.
2023-5-4
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

Johnnokomis Posted at 5-4 19:10
So since everybody has flown BVLOS at least once does that make it ok? I mean it's fine by me but I'm sure the FAA doesn't use your logic here.

FAA has ZERO to do with specifications. What DJI advertises is completely legal!! They list ALL the qualifiers for the advertised run time. The key word is MAXIMUM!!! If the drone takes off, that satisfies the requirement.
2023-5-5
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
United States

Not sure why everyone trying make this into a legal court case. Lmao. The topic is on larger battery plus for the mavic 3/pro for longer flight. Doesn't matter what dji maximum flight time listed for the mavic 3. We all know you won't get the 46 minutes of flight time. Real flight time is about 30 minutes maximum b4 the drone is force to land. I just wanted a bigger battery for longer flight instead of having to return the drone back to home, land, remove battery, and replace battery. They made normal battery and plus battery for the mini 3/pro, so it's possible to do the same with the mavic 3/pro. Sure it will make it heavier but who cares when the drone is already over 900 grams at this point. Come on dji. We want bigger battery for 50+ mins of real flight time.
2023-5-5
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC Posted at 5-5 07:46
Not sure why everyone trying make this into a legal court case. Lmao. The topic is on larger battery plus for the mavic 3/pro for longer flight. Doesn't matter what dji maximum flight time listed for the mavic 3. We all know you won't get the 46 minutes of flight time. Real flight time is about 30 minutes maximum b4 the drone is force to land. I just wanted a bigger battery for longer flight instead of having to return the drone back to home, land, remove battery, and replace battery. They made normal battery and plus battery for the mini 3/pro, so it's possible to do the same with the mavic 3/pro. Sure it will make it heavier but who cares when the drone is already over 900 grams at this point. Come on dji. We want bigger battery for 50+ mins of real flight time.

i know i keep asking this in various threads but i'll ask again:  how much are you willing to pay for the extended battery?  let's say dji manages to come up with one and they sell it for US$299 and it weighs 25% more and gives you 10 more minutes of flight time; you good with that, you'll buy one?
2023-5-5
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
United States

The Saint Posted at 5-5 08:42
i know i keep asking this in various threads but i'll ask again:  how much are you willing to pay for the extended battery?  let's say dji manages to come up with one and they sell it for US$299 and it weighs 25% more and gives you 10 more minutes of flight time; you good with that, you'll buy one?

If it gets 50-60 mins of real flight time, ill pay $300. That is reasonable. The weight isnt a deal breaker since the drone is already over 250 grams lol. I want real flight times. Not the bs in the so called perfect environment with zero winds, all sensors off, no recording, ect  i want real world flight times over at least 50 minutes before i need to return home.
2023-5-5
Use props
DroneApe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459954 ft
United States

djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC Posted at 5-5 07:46
Not sure why everyone trying make this into a legal court case. Lmao. The topic is on larger battery plus for the mavic 3/pro for longer flight. Doesn't matter what dji maximum flight time listed for the mavic 3. We all know you won't get the 46 minutes of flight time. Real flight time is about 30 minutes maximum b4 the drone is force to land. I just wanted a bigger battery for longer flight instead of having to return the drone back to home, land, remove battery, and replace battery. They made normal battery and plus battery for the mini 3/pro, so it's possible to do the same with the mavic 3/pro. Sure it will make it heavier but who cares when the drone is already over 900 grams at this point. Come on dji. We want bigger battery for 50+ mins of real flight time.

If you're wanting to cut down on your time spent returning to home, you could walk along and update your homepoint as you go.  You'd probably need a backpack.  And a pre-planned landing spot.  And an emergency landing spot if things don't go quite the way you planned.

I'm not sure about the legality of riding a bike while flying a drone (probably not legal), but it would allow you to cut down on return to home time.

If you're a certified Part 107 pilot and you're flying in a sparsely populated area, you can operate the drone from your moving car (if someone else is driving the car or ATV side-by-side etc).   You'd have to keep updating your home point.  You should be able to easily fly 10-12 miles one way in 4k (not 1080p).  You'd need to have a plan though, so you knew where you were going to land.  You wouldn't want to just spontaneously jump in the car with your buddy and take off.
He's using a Mini 3 Pro in video (not that it matters)

2023-5-5
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 5-5 08:42
i know i keep asking this in various threads but i'll ask again:  how much are you willing to pay for the extended battery?  let's say dji manages to come up with one and they sell it for US$299 and it weighs 25% more and gives you 10 more minutes of flight time; you good with that, you'll buy one?

That seems proportional. 33% more cost for 33% extra flight time. I'm in!
2023-5-5
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Johnnokomis Posted at 5-5 11:04
That seems proportional. 33% more cost for 33% extra flight time. I'm in!

i honestly don't think dji can sell a ton of them at that price. the flight time gain just isn't enough to justify the additional cost.  maybe you or i will buy one or two but most people are not going to pay $300 for a battery and i might be low on the price....an hour battery might be closer to $399.  think about microsd cards, right now the 1TB is $100+ and while we can all use more space....there's a top threshold which ordinary consumers are willing to pay (instead of waiting for prices to drop and specs to rise).  but what do i know, i have to rely on dji to figure it out.  what are they supposed to do with a standalone flymore kit or a super-size flymore kit pushing $900?
2023-5-5
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 5-5 12:12
i honestly don't think dji can sell a ton of them at that price. the flight time gain just isn't enough to justify the additional cost.  maybe you or i will buy one or two but most people are not going to pay $300 for a battery and i might be low on the price....an hour battery might be closer to $399.  think about microsd cards, right now the 1TB is $100+ and while we can all use more space....there's a top threshold which ordinary consumers are willing to pay (instead of waiting for prices to drop and specs to rise).  but what do i know, i have to rely on dji to figure it out.  what are they supposed to do with a standalone flymore kit or a super-size flymore kit pushing $900?

I'm honestly not up to speed on the consumer world much anymore. For the Enterprise line though an extra 10 mins of flight time would be much appreciated. For large mapping jobs it's ideal to capture it quickly. Shadows move faster than what you'd think and when a map has different angles of shadows it is noticeable. Or during a search and rescue operation an extra 10 mins could be what saves somebody's life. You're right I don't see your average consumer flying his drone to catch a family vacation willing to spend the extra cash. For people who do this for a living though it would be a no brainer.
2023-5-5
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Mobilehomer Posted at 5-5 07:01
FAA has ZERO to do with specifications. What DJI advertises is completely legal!! They list ALL the qualifiers for the advertised run time. The key word is MAXIMUM!!! If the drone takes off, that satisfies the requirement.

Easy there Homer Simpson don't blow a gasket now. That name is more fitting because you sound like a total DJI simp with how hard you're defending them right here. DJI made a claim and I'm simply asking to see the receipt.
2023-5-5
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

JJB* Posted at 5-4 09:37
Hi Gamora,

Understand that 100 to 0% battery is good for accurate representation of battery life.

Hi, JJB*. We understand what you're trying to explain. We will document your concern and send it to our relevant team as suggestions of yours. Thank you for your kind understanding and continued support.
2023-5-9
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules