123Next >
8104 117 2023-5-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
The One Above
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3007989 ft
United States

Well, my Mini 3 Pro disconnected mid flight. DID NOT RTH. Completely disappeared. Everything was good. Battery charged, no wind, normal flight route, and was extremely close with not a hint of connection issues.
RC went black and white for the image. Once I looked up, it was not in sight, and has not been found. Have reached out to DJI support. Should be interesting. After flying for 4 years with numerous models, this absolutely baffles me. EXTREMELY DANGEROUS.

Also, the app signed me out on the RC?
Clearly had to be signed in to takeoff.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Hearing the Mini 3 has been having some issues?
2023-5-2
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

That sounds dangerous, were you able to manually land the drone?
The RC still remains connected thats what I have read on these forums however not sure if it signed out then what happens?
Seems like a serious bug if that is happening mid flight.
2023-5-2
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

RC going black screen has been reported here earlier too
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=268832
2023-5-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Well, my Mini 3 Pro disconnected mid flight. DID NOT RTH. Completely disappeared. Everything was good. Battery charged, no wind, normal flight route, and was extremely close with not a hint of connection issues.
Your incident was unlikely to be that the drone lost connection.
What's much more likely is that your drone suffered a complete loss of power and fell from the sky.

AND 0 FLIGHT DATA RECORDED.
That also sounds unlikely.
Perhaps you aren't looking in the right place?

Hearing the Mini 3 has been having some issues?
There are hundreds of thousands of Mini 3s out there.
So of course you will hear of some reported having issues - mostly caused by their operators.
But some issues is not significant given the number of Mini 3s out there.

If you do find the recorded flight data, that might help a little with understanding the incident, or at least help eliminate some possibilities and give a likely search area.
Go to: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
... where you'll find instructions to upload the data to that site and it will give a report
For help interpreting the data you can post a link for the report here.
Or just post the .txt file.

2023-5-2
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Hope that issue is not like the other MINI3PRO`s wich had a sudden unexplained power fail in flight and dropped out ot the sky.
I have a MINI3PRO as well, so i am interested how DHJ will react on this.

A few members on this forum experienced the same in flight failure.
So with some statistic reasoning...if on this forum 300 members (random world-wide) fly a MINI3PRO and 3 members have post this nasty error than 1% is failing.

If DJI has sold 300.000 MINI3PRO`s than it is plausible to reason that also 1% of the this big total number fails as well.
It is not logic ofcourse by coincidence that only the MINI3PRO owners on this forum experience this failure.
"We" will never know how many power failure`s in flight happen, if all owners on this planet are on 1 and the same forum and everyone post their failures, than we have a good overview....

So is it "normal" for a Drone to have some issues? yes, like all electronic devices sold on the market. ( cars, mobile devices, laptops ect)
Problem is in this case that this is a catastrophic error, dropping out of the sky is not a minor issue....

As said, how will DJI react on this type of failure ?

cheers
JJB
2023-5-2
Use props
The One Above
lvl.2
United States

Ranjan Posted at 5-2 19:05
That sounds dangerous, were you able to manually land the drone?
The RC still remains connected thats what I have read on these forums however not sure if it signed out then what happens?
Seems like a serious bug if that is happening mid flight.

Thank you for your response. EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. Unfortunately, I was not able to manually land the drone, nor did the RTH work on the RC. It is gone. I am going to do some recon after work with my Air2s. Sadly, it is in a heavily populated area, so I am limited to searching. Seeing that it signed out, completely stunned me as this was a first.
2023-5-3
Use props
The One Above
lvl.2
United States

JJB* Posted at 5-2 23:06
Hi,

Hope that issue is not like the other MINI3PRO`s wich had a sudden unexplained power fail in flight and dropped out ot the sky.

Thank you for your response. Heard great things about the Mini 3 Pro. Sadly, this was only it's second flight. Have flown this route 100+ times with my Air2s. A power failure from above is beyond scary.
Everything was good. Still waiting on a response from DJI support. This is a GIGANTIC issue.
2023-5-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

The One Above Posted at 5-3 05:00
Thank you for your response. EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. Unfortunately, I was not able to manually land the drone, nor did the RTH work on the RC. It is gone. I am going to do some recon after work with my Air2s. Sadly, it is in a heavily populated area, so I am limited to searching. Seeing that it signed out, completely stunned me as this was a first.

Unfortunately, I was not able to manually land the drone, nor did the RTH work on the RC.
RTH cannot work when the drone has lost power and fallen from the sky.

I am going to do some recon after work with my Air2s. Sadly, it is in a heavily populated area, so I am limited to searching.
If you want to know where to search, post your flight data as explained in my previous post.
2023-5-3
Use props
The One Above
lvl.2
United States

Labroides Posted at 5-2 19:15
Your incident was unlikely to be that the drone lost connection.
What's much more likely is that your drone suffered a complete loss of power and fell from the sky.

Thank you for your response. I agree on it losing power, completely.
(Happy to at least count out the battery, as they click in now)

As for the data, there is no logged flight synced to my account, via my RC, or profile in general.
(States last flight was 4/27) I believe with the RC signing me out once it occurred, the data was never logged? I am unsure.

Completely understandable on operator errors, but a power failure from 300+ feet is scary.
Waiting on a response from DJI.
2023-5-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

The One Above Posted at 5-3 05:23
Thank you for your response. I agree on it losing power, completely.
(Happy to at least count out the battery, as they click in now)

As for the data, there is no logged flight synced to my account, via my RC, or profile in general.
(States last flight was 4/27) I believe with the RC signing me out once it occurred, the data was never logged? I am unsure
The black & white screen image and the red aircraft not connected message on screen is exactly what happens if you switch off the drone or if it loses power, but it doesn't affect the flight data which should still be there.

Connect the controller to a computer with a usb cable and look in the internal storage.
The flight data should be at this address:
Android\data\dji.go.v5\files\FlightRecord
2023-5-3
Use props
The One Above
lvl.2
United States

Labroides Posted at 5-3 05:33
(States last flight was 4/27) I believe with the RC signing me out once it occurred, the data was never logged? I am unsure.
The black & white screen image and the red aircraft not connected message on screen is exactly what happens if you switch off the drone or if it loses power, but it doesn't affect the flight data which should still be there.

Thank you for this. Here is the link to the flight log!!! https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/122D27IV0P4Z1W2LMMRD/

What do you think??
2023-5-3
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

The One Above Posted at 5-3 05:00

Thats really very sad & dangerous a nano drone falling free from 300 feet. I hope Dji gives official statement of such cases reported in past where the flight logs were available & the last command recorded shows that stick moment shut down the engine mid flight.

I cant believe that mid flight shutdown either by mistake or due to some bug is not saving the fight log. As suggested by Labroides connect the RC to computer & you will find it there, since you were signed out the logs may not have synced but they are there & should always be found in the RC

Once you hear from Dji please share the investigation report here.
2023-5-3
Use props
_SoP_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 951020 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Maybe a drone defense system somewhere? The fear that something like this happens makes me hesitating flying above urban areas... You never know what is being installed...
2023-5-3
Use props
The One Above
lvl.2
United States

_SoP_ Posted at 5-3 06:19
Maybe a drone defense system somewhere? The fear that something like this happens makes me hesitating flying above urban areas... You never know what is being installed...

Buddy of mine suggested as well. But, I have flown in this area and flight path close to 100 times. No previous issues.
2023-5-3
Use props
The One Above
lvl.2
United States

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/122D27IV0P4Z1W2LMMRD/ Flight log
2023-5-3
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

The One Above Posted at 5-3 06:02
Thank you for this. Here is the link to the flight log!!! https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/122D27IV0P4Z1W2LMMRD/

What do you think??

Hi

All normal values in your log.So looks like a total power fail in flight.

Last position = 41.838885, -71.481766. Flying heading 164.  So in that direction not that far from last position.
Hope you find your drone.

Now wait for DJI to react.

cheers
JJB  [ Charts by FRAP ; the 'best' software for flightlog analysis ]
analysis1.png
analysis2.png
2023-5-3
Use props
The One Above
lvl.2
United States

JJB* Posted at 5-3 06:23
Hi

Thank you for this. Interested on what DJI's response is going to be, seeing as they still have not.

Sadly, going to need to knock on a few doors, and make sure everyone/everything is alright in the area. With the speed and altitude, this is extremely problematic and a scary situation.  

Cheers JJB!
2023-5-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

_SoP_ Posted at 5-3 06:19

Maybe a drone defense system somewhere?
That's highly unlikely.
About the same probability as being stolen by an alien spaceship.

2023-5-3
Use props
DJI Mini 3 Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 208753 ft

Slovenia

JJB* Posted at 5-3 06:23
Hi

[Image]

Hmm like in my case with mini 3?
2023-5-3
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

The One Above Posted at 5-3 06:31
Sadly, going to need to knock on a few doors, and make sure everyone/everything is alright in the area. With the speed and altitude, this is extremely problematic and a scary situation.  

that's ridiculous; don't do that.  
2023-5-3
Use props
The One Above
lvl.2
United States

The Saint Posted at 5-3 07:06
that's ridiculous; don't do that.

100% need too. Populated area, with the impact being between 4 different houses.
Also.. hoping one of them have it and don't want to ring my neck haha
2023-5-3
Use props
The One Above
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mini 3 Pilot Posted at 5-3 07:02

This happened to you also?
2023-5-3
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

DJI Mini 3 Pilot Posted at 5-3 07:02

What was the root cause identified in your case?
Do you have a forum post reporting here in Dji forum?

In his case the flight log shows all things normal till the last moment when suddenly the power failed without showing any anomaly in batteries.  
2023-5-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Your Failsafe Action was RTH (the default setting).
The homepoint had not changed from the start of the flight.
There were no obstacles, trees or terrain that could have blocked signal.
The battery was hardly used and cell voltage levels were all healthy.

The data stops with the drone flying almost south at 31 mph in Sport Mode, 318 ft higher than the launch point and 378 feet south of the home point.

On losing power, the drone would have fallen but continued moving forward as it fell.
It would have taken about 6-7 seconds to reach ground level and in that time probably moved about 270 feet beyond where signal was lost.

My best estimate of a likely search area is north and south of Binghampton Ave as shown by the thick yellow line.
Pr-2.jpg
2023-5-3
Use props
DJI Mini 3 Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 208753 ft

Slovenia

The One Above Posted at 5-3 07:11
This happened to you also?

Yes, one week ago with almost new mini 3:
https://forum.dji.com/thread-289331-1-1.html
2023-5-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

The One Above Posted at 5-3 06:31
Thank you for this. Interested on what DJI's response is going to be, seeing as they still have not.

With the speed and altitude, this is extremely problematic and a scary situation.
It's not as serious as you might imagine.
The drone only weights 250 grams and falls slower than most would think.
At impact it would have had a kinetic energy of approx 24 Joules.
2023-5-3
Use props
Rockbyter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 194472 ft
United Kingdom

Someone with an Air Rifle maybe?  Been known, have to be a lucky shot at that speed though.
2023-5-3
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

The One Above Posted at 5-3 07:09
100% need too. Populated area, with the impact being between 4 different houses.
Also.. hoping one of them have it and don't want to ring my neck haha

if you are looking for your drone and you suspect it may have landed between 4 different houses, that's fine to go there and knock on 4 doors and ask if they've seen your drone.   that's a little bit different than checking on everyone's safety.  did you file a police report telling the police that you were out in the neighborhood flying a dangerous drone in a populated area and you are worried you might have hurt or killed someone when you lost control of your drone?  did you report the incident to the faa?

https://www.faa.gov/faq/when-do-i-need-report-accident
https://www.faa.gov/faq/how-do-i ... s-rule-part-107-faa
2023-5-3
Use props
The One Above
lvl.2
United States

Labroides Posted at 5-3 07:18
Your Failsafe Action was RTH (the default setting).
The homepoint had not changed from the start of the flight.
There were no obstacles, trees or terrain that could have blocked signal.

Thank you for this information, it is greatly appreciated.
2023-5-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Rockbyter Posted at 5-3 07:42
Someone with an Air Rifle maybe?  Been known, have to be a lucky shot at that speed though.

No ...
It would have had to be an incredible shot to hit a tiny, speeding drone, >300 feet up and instantly kill the power without leaving any evidence in the recorded flight data.

2023-5-3
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12242710 ft
  • >>>
United States

It happened to me as well 2 days ago. Disconnected from the app, screen went blank but drone still connected to the remote so landed safetly with full control. Has never happened before
2023-5-3
Use props
The One Above
lvl.2
United States

The Saint Posted at 5-3 07:42
if you are looking for your drone and you suspect it may have landed between 4 different houses, that's fine to go there and knock on 4 doors and ask if they've seen your drone.   that's a little bit different than checking on everyone's safety.  did you file a police report telling the police that you were out in the neighborhood flying a dangerous drone in a populated area and you are worried you might have hurt or killed someone when you lost control of your drone?  did you report the incident to the faa?

In my 4 years of flying, this is my first "crash", even though it essentially bricked mid-air with no warning. As for a police report, no. FAA, will be reported.

Normal procedure, unfortunate outcome. Cheers for the feedback
2023-5-3
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

The One Above Posted at 5-3 08:06
In my 4 years of flying, this is my first "crash", even though it essentially bricked mid-air with no warning. As for a police report, no. FAA, will be reported.

good deal; hope you can at least find your downed drone which should help determine the cause!
2023-5-3
Use props
The One Above
lvl.2
United States

Flormo2002 Posted at 5-3 07:58
It happened to me as well 2 days ago. Disconnected from the app, screen went blank but drone still connected to the remote so landed safetly with full control. Has never happened before

First for me as well. No response from DJI still.
2023-5-3
Use props
The One Above
lvl.2
United States

Well everyone, found it! Thank you @JJB, @Labroides & everyone else for the feedback, as I can now sit here relieved.
I went over the last ping from the flight log, and began taking some shots. First photo, boom.

Still no response from DJI Support. Definitely looking for some answers on this.
2023-5-3
Use props
The One Above
lvl.2
United States

48BDD96D-1561-4450-A192-19B86BC07BB5.jpeg
A4AECF86-5AA7-4EF5-BC99-B36F65F41CA9.jpeg
2023-5-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

The One Above Posted at 5-3 08:06

FAA, will be reported.
No need to notify FAA unless it causes serious injury to any person or any loss of consciousness, or if it causes damage to any property (other than the UAS or drone) in excess of $500 to repair or replace the property.
2023-5-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Flormo2002 Posted at 5-3 07:58

"It" didn't happen to your drone at all.
Losing connection can happen to anyone in the right circumstances, but that never causes a drone to fall from the sky.
Losing power causes that and losing connection is an unavoidable side effect.

2023-5-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

The One Above Posted at 5-3 14:15
Well everyone, found it! Thank you @JJB, @Labroides & everyone else for the feedback, as I can now sit here relieved.
I went over the last ping from the flight log, and began taking some shots. First photo, boom.

Still no response from DJI Support. Definitely looking for some answers on this.

DJI won't be able to tell anything more from the data you posted here.
They might be able to provide answers when they go into the data stored internally on the drone.
2023-5-3
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Is this the 3rd or 4th time this has happened now, that we know of? It is a little unnerving.
2023-5-3
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules