123Next >
8071 117 2023-5-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

The One Above Posted at 5-3 14:15
Well everyone, found it! Thank you @JJB, @Labroides & everyone else for the feedback, as I can now sit here relieved.
I went over the last ping from the flight log, and began taking some shots. First photo, boom.

Thats good news that you found the drone, I am bit happy that a free fall from 300 feet only caused gimbal damage where the body of the drone is intact.
Was it over the roof or you found it on the ground?

I am hopeful Dji will replace your drone or repair it under warranty, but we all would want to know the root cause of sudden power failure as yours is 4th such case being reported here on the forum in last 2 months.
2023-5-3
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bashy Posted at 5-3 18:35
Is this the 3rd or 4th time this has happened now, that we know of? It is a little unnerving.

yes  read #5    unnerving, riddle and mayby a serious flaw.
2023-5-4
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 5-4 01:18
yes  read #5    unnerving, riddle and mayby a serious flaw.

It is a little worrisome thats for sure... :/
2023-5-4
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

The One Above Posted at 5-3 05:23
Thank you for your response. I agree on it losing power, completely.
(Happy to at least count out the battery, as they click in now)

Hello, there. Sorry for the inconvenience. We found your email via the registered email address on Forum. will let them reply to you as soon as possible.
2023-5-4
Use props
Rockbyter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 194472 ft
United Kingdom

Could there be a connection problem in the battery/compartment?  Last flight I made 2 days ago and the drone would not turn on when I first put the battery in, not a glimmer of life.  I removed the battery and reinserted it and all was well.  Just wondered if this is a possible fault that can occur at anytime.  I hope not.  The battery was fully home so no idea what was wrong.
2023-5-4
Use props
The One Above
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3007989 ft
United States

Ranjan Posted at 5-3 19:10
Thats good news that you found the drone, I am bit happy that a free fall from 300 feet only caused gimbal damage where the body of the drone is intact.
Was it over the roof or you found it on the ground?

I agree. For a 375ft drop, it was in fair shape. Found completely flat in a slabbed area in someone's backyard.

I would 100% hope, that the warranty covers this. Considering the flight log.
Situation could have been a lot worse.  Interested in DJI's response, as I am still waiting for one.
2023-5-4
Use props
The One Above
lvl.2
United States

Rockbyter Posted at 5-4 08:55
Could there be a connection problem in the battery/compartment?  Last flight I made 2 days ago and the drone would not turn on when I first put the battery in, not a glimmer of life.  I removed the battery and reinserted it and all was well.  Just wondered if this is a possible fault that can occur at anytime.  I hope not.  The battery was fully home so no idea what was wrong.

Great question. The battery was purchased through DJI, and fully charged prior to the flight.
Seemed like a normal startup, with no issues.
2023-5-4
Use props
The One Above
lvl.2
United States

JJB* Posted at 5-3 06:23
Hi

All normal values in your log.So looks like a total power fail in flight.

Location it was found (red dot). Close JJB! Cheers
2023-5-5
Use props
The One Above
lvl.2
United States

Is this the 3rd or 4th time this has happened now, that we know of? It is a little unnerving.

Unnerving is an understatement. Definitely will be questioning my next handful of flights. Just happy it happened at home, and not where I purchased it for. Cozumel lol
2023-5-5
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What firmware version are on the drone and controller?
Airdata thinks the drone is v01.00.0450.
You should be able to check the controller's version in the app, ditto the drone if it still boots and connects to the controller.
I think your App version is 1.9.9
2023-5-5
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Mini 3 Pilot Posted at 5-3 07:02
Hmm like in my case with mini 3?

Do you happen to know the firmware version on the drone and controller at the time of your flight?
Airdata does not recognise the drone's firmware.

"Firmware        Code 27040A6215      Help us out - which firmware is it?"

Your app version was apparently 1.9.9
2023-5-5
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

The One Above Posted at 5-5 05:48
[view_image] Location it was found (red dot). Close JJB! Cheers

Thanks for the feed back, only 15 meters offset to my calculation.
No changes needed for FRAP algorithm.

cheers
JJB
2023-5-5
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Mini 3 that was lost on Skye 2023-03-25 was apparently
Firmware        v01.00.0450 / Released 2022-12-22
App version 1.9.4

The mini 3 that fell at Trondhiem 2023-03-15
Firmware      v01.00.0450 / Released Dec 22nd, 2022
app ver.   1.9.5
2023-5-5
Use props
djiuser_neEwqWvx3Uxp
lvl.3
Flight distance : 735430 ft
United States

This happened to me last summer when I was using it for a quick real estate photo shoot.  Screen went black and white and would not reconnect to the drone.  Fortunately, it was only a few feet off the ground and the only thing I could do was grab it and turn it upside down.  There were some power lines nearby but otherwise I have not encountered this issue.  Hopefully corrected with a firmware update.  
2023-5-9
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

JJB* Posted at 5-5 06:34
Thanks for the feed back, only 15 meters offset to my calculation.

Where can I input the data to test your FRAP algorithm for a lost drone?
2023-5-9
Use props
gulfpre
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2885656 ft
  • >>>
United States

JJB* Posted at 5-5 06:34
Thanks for the feed back, only 15 meters offset to my calculation.

Nice job!!
2023-5-9
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Burt37 Posted at 5-9 16:09
Where can I input the data to test your FRAP algorithm for a lost drone?

Hi Burt,

uh, you cannot. Not all algorithms are in the FRAP version for you all.

Some parts in the advanced section, just for me  ;-)
Needs more testing ect, so mayby one day it will xfer it to the 'normal' FRAP.

cheers
JJB
2023-5-9
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

JJB* Posted at 5-9 22:50
Hi Burt,

uh, you cannot. Not all algorithms are in the FRAP version for you all.

What was then all this "No changes needed for FRAP algorithm"????

Only kidding, JJB*... I knew you were bluffing...

Your FRAP is good and I knew it had no option for tracking lost drones... But your answer was very good... Very professional..
2023-5-10
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Burt37 Posted at 5-10 00:23
What was then all this "No changes needed for FRAP algorithm"????

Only kidding, JJB*... I knew you were bluffing...

Well, enough good working options and settings to make FRAP very usefull for analysis ! ( just my 2-cents )  

Mayby one day....

cheers
JJB
SearchArea.png
2023-5-10
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

Since you've found a drone did you check if battery still works and drone powers on?
2023-5-10
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Switzerland

same thing happened to me, i was lucky it came back...had to struggle landing it and had to sign in and restart it in order to regain connection. basically dji force signs you out after 3 months now, never had it before, can't see the logic. But obviously they were not smart enough to consider not doing it in mid-flight which is plain dangerous...i submitted my flight data, hopefully they will fix it...
2023-5-10
Use props
acepaul
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14757 ft
United States

sbonev Posted at 5-10 12:00
same thing happened to me, i was lucky it came back...had to struggle landing it and had to sign in and restart it in order to regain connection. basically dji force signs you out after 3 months now, never had it before, can't see the logic. But obviously they were not smart enough to consider not doing it in mid-flight which is plain dangerous...i submitted my flight data, hopefully they will fix it...

This could be very bad. Especially of flying over water or other hazardous areas. Is the consensus that these drops are caused by this sign out issue?
2023-5-10
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Switzerland

acepaul Posted at 5-10 13:33
This could be very bad. Especially of flying over water or other hazardous areas. Is the consensus that these drops are caused by this sign out issue?

basically drone looses connection with the remote when you are signed out, hence the black screen. pretty sure this is pure software issue and a dangerous one, why somebody will force sign you  out after 3 months in mid-flight??!! poor implementation of something that is also not quite clear of what use might be to you. As they sign you out no matter if you have flown or not. Question is why....
2023-5-10
Use props
acepaul
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14757 ft
United States

sbonev Posted at 5-10 13:46
basically drone looses connection with the remote when you are signed out, hence the black screen. pretty sure this is pure software issue and a dangerous one, why somebody will force sign you  out after 3 months in mid-flight??!! poor implementation of something that is also not quite clear of what use might be to you. As they sign you out no matter if you have flown or not. Question is why....

Pure conjecture here but in a worldwide market there may be a fine print legal reason why they do this. Or there may not be. Either way if we will be signed out of the controller there should be some type of countdown that can be viewed in the menu and a warning then RTH protocol that engages prior to sign out to prevent accidents.
2023-5-10
Use props
djiuser_3ljZ1bz1Jmu5
lvl.1

United States

It’s a good idea to label your drone with contact info in case of a malfunction. There are sites that will send you labels with your contact info for free.
2023-5-14
Use props
fans7ac73174
lvl.2
Flight distance : 385594 ft
United States

I had the exact same issue with my MP3.  Mine blacked out for 14 seconds.  I pressed RTH.  In that 14 seconds, it crashed, righted itself then fly back.  Contact DJI via chat.  They had me send the drone and the RC back to them.  They said my MP3 had an issue with one of the modules where it was disconnecting to the RC.  They sent me a new MP3.  It took less than a week from contacting DJI via to flying again.  
2023-5-14
Use props
fansdbda9dac
lvl.1

United States

JJB* Posted at 5-2 23:06
Hi,

Hope that issue is not like the other MINI3PRO`s wich had a sudden unexplained power fail in flight and dropped out ot the sky.

The same exact thing happened  to me today. I was 300ft up and about 300ft from home and the controller said lost connection and it was gone. Its supposedly in a heavly wooded area in a lot behind mine and cant find it.
2023-5-14
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

fansdbda9dac Posted at 5-14 18:18
The same exact thing happened  to me today. I was 300ft up and about 300ft from home and the controller said lost connection and it was gone. Its supposedly in a heavly wooded area in a lot behind mine and cant find it.

Hi,

Best to know more what happend is to share your flightlog.

use this > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Post the uploaded link on  here

cheers
JJB
2023-5-14
Use props
The One Above
lvl.2
United States

Tuxtard Posted at 5-10 11:57
Since you've found a drone did you check if battery still works and drone powers on?

Did not power on, battery still had 3 bars
2023-5-17
Use props
The One Above
lvl.2
United States

To conclude, DJI replaced the Mini 3. "According to the data we have, we are unable to confirm the cause of the accident."
So being that it was under warranty, they shipped me a new Mini 3 Pro and battery this week.

As I am happy with the outcome, I still will have some concerns while flying with the Mini 3 Pro.
Especially when using the RC overall. Daunting flight experience for sure.

Thank you again to everyone on this forum that helped.
2023-5-17
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

The One Above Posted at 5-17 10:14
To conclude, DJI replaced the Mini 3. "According to the data we have, we are unable to confirm the cause of the accident."
So being that it was under warranty, they shipped me a new Mini 3 Pro and battery this week.

Hi,

Many happy landings with your new Mini3Pro!

cheers
JJB
2023-5-17
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Hello to all...
Fact: At the 6th Mini 3 Pro that come from DJI, the Battery was inserted in drone (drone exchanged), but strange fact: the label inside drone (a black label with some writing) was catch by battery and was ripped, pieces of plastic getting between the battery and contacts from drone.
It took me 40 minutes to grab all pieces of plastic from contacts...was hard to be seen, I looked inside as the battery was hard to be moved, almost needed to rip it off at take-out.
So pay attention to inside contacts...if there are pieces of label, you get imperfect contact, everything will be possible.
I kept it as was first one without fog issues after 5 exchanges and I managed to take out all label pieces....but one flight with it could be fatal if I was not careful to look inside drone...
Cheers.
2023-5-19
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

The One Above Posted at 5-17 10:14

I was hoping Dji will able to pinpoint the fault in this case & similar cases in last few weeks.

My thought is that the possible cause is faulty battery or the circuit which drops the current suddenly mid flight (for whatever reason) & that makes drone fall without any warning, no further data is recorded during the fall as battery is not powering the drone anymore.
2023-5-19
Use props
Staffydog33
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1348881 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That EXACT same thing happened to me, after about 150metres, completely dissconnected. No worries I thought, It will return any sec/min.

1 hour later! NOTHING!

Sent flight logs to DJI and they reckon It was MY fault as I flew In sport mode 3,000metres away smashing into the side of a mountain.

REFUSED to replace It.

Furious.

Now own Mini 3 non pro and it has been absolutely the best so far, having owned 3 mini 3 pros previously.

REALLY CHEESED OFF they reckoned a reasonably experienced pilot would do that. GRR!!

Capture.JPG
2023-5-30
Use props
Paul_in_NI
lvl.2
Flight distance : 106545 ft
United Kingdom

Exactly the same as my issue. Mine was at 30m (also sport mode) and died mid air and i watched it fall.  It was only 9 days old.
I had to speak to the owner of the resturant to recover it from their roof.

DJI replaced it but won't comment on the mid-air power failure.  
2023-5-30
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Paul_in_NI Posted at 5-30 13:39
Exactly the same as my issue. Mine was at 30m (also sport mode) and died mid air and i watched it fall.  It was only 9 days old.
I had to speak to the owner of the resturant to recover it from their roof.

This is becoming a tad scary now. Sorry for your loss, I'm glad DJI at least replaced it even if they didn't comment on the issue, although, I can see why they didn't though, hopefully they are looking into it!

Now, had each person filed the air incident with the relevant bodies then DJI would have to look into this issue as it would be brought to their attention officially, as they did with the Matrice, i believe. btw, with regards to flying a drone in the UK, we are supposed to file any air incidents with ECCAIRS
2023-5-30
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The One Above Posted at 5-17 10:14

Can I just check my understanding of what happened with this drone?
I think there was at least a video signal disconnection, "RC went black and white for the image" post #1.
Did that loss of "at least video signal" happen when the drone was over Lyman Ave? Or, asked another way, where was the drone when the controller's screen went to black and white?

There was a complete disconnection at 4:14.6 with the drone over Lyman Ave at a height, distance, speed and charge level of 318ft, 378ft, 31.4mph or 14m/s on a heading of roughly 164deg and 88% respectively.
Is that correct?

At what point did the App log you out?   "Also, the app signed me out on the RC? Clearly had to be signed in to takeoff. " post #1.

The drone was found roughly 26 m to the SE of the disconnection point with not a lot of damage and the battery showing 3 bars "Did not power on, battery still had 3 bars" post #69.
Was the battery in the drone when it was found?

What happened between disconnection and the drone landing???
The battery level suggests to me that the drone landed fairly soon after the disconnection, though, with a Mavic Mini and or Mini 2, I have seen batteries that have had a hard flight apparently recover some charge level once the drone has been switched off.

If the motors stopped and or the battery disconnected I think, as suggested by Labroides, the drone would have tended to move along the 164 bearing ...... but subject to a wind blowing to the NE,  Airdata think the wind was 6.2mph. I think free fall would have lasted between 6 and 7 seconds but if it came down on what might be concrete I'd have expected to see more damage.
If it fell might it have fallen into the shrub that appears to be in the back garden of No25 and then fallen to the ground?
If it did not free fall what could have caused it to perform a controlled descent there and so apparently quickly?

Was the missing prop blade found on the concrete, if so where?

Just puzzled lol

2023-5-30
Use props
djiuser_lskXyL6rcNxm
New

United Kingdom

DJI Mini 3 Pro failed to make it home it took a strange route back when RTH was used for a low battery and ended up in the road squashed like a toad. I have insurance and they have sent it to DJI to have the data taken from it to find out what went wrong. When the battery low came on and it asked for RTH I expected it to come back direct and to have enough power to make it especially as it was the first warning of the low power. Instead it went over to the Left then flew in a straight line before it came down with battery dead. In oder to have RTH it would have needed to move Right again to then drop down. I thought it turned around when commanded to RTH and flew straight back.

The width of movement to the Left was an estimated Dual Carriageway Width incorporating into it a island in the middle about 1 car width.
2023-7-10
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

djiuser_lskXyL6rcNxm Posted at 7-10 22:28
DJI Mini 3 Pro failed to make it home it took a strange route back when RTH was used for a low battery and ended up in the road squashed like a toad. I have insurance and they have sent it to DJI to have the data taken from it to find out what went wrong. When the battery low came on and it asked for RTH I expected it to come back direct and to have enough power to make it especially as it was the first warning of the low power. Instead it went over to the Left then flew in a straight line before it came down with battery dead. In oder to have RTH it would have needed to move Right again to then drop down. I thought it turned around when commanded to RTH and flew straight back.

The width of movement to the Left was an estimated Dual Carriageway Width incorporating into it a island in the middle about 1 car width.

Hi,

bad story...if you like post your flightllog on here.

use > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
post the uploaded link on here.

Log might tell more what really happend.

cheers
JJB
2023-7-11
Use props
djiuser_8PZ3XO0sV8pp
lvl.1
Flight distance : 51798 ft
United States

Could you give us the location so that we can check for anti drone systems.
2023-7-11
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules