501 6 2023-5-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WernerD
Second Officer
Flight distance : 350837 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Yesterday I wanted to discharge all batteries completely and the way I did is putting the Avata on the ground, start the motors and let it sit there.
Interestingly over the minutes it was sitting there, you could hear that the motor speed was constantly increasing by a bit. No problem and not something done on a regular basis but wanted to let you know. Maybe it is an indication for something else.
Normally the idle speed is a fixed rpm and the PID controller within the ESC would try to keep that. So for some reason the control loop tells to slowly increase the trust.

Aside from that, would be nice to have a mode to safely discharge batteries. I did that because I also got the warning message that the batteries must be completely depleted and then
charged to 100%.
2023-5-3
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Under normal circumstances the batteries will discharge themselves to ~60% over about 72 hours or so.
2023-5-3
Use props
dnddad324
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12536706 ft
United States

These are not lipos....they do not need to be put into storage mode. And completely discharging batteries (either lipos or li-on)  will shorten their lifespan.

From the Avata manual (this applies to all DJI devices with intelligent batteries)....

2023-5-3
Use props
WernerD
Second Officer
  • >>>
Austria

That's beside the point. The Avata said that in order to calibrate you must discharge completely and charge to 100%.
The info was neither about getting the level from 100% to 60% nor for long term storage.
2023-5-3
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, WernerD. Thank you for reaching Please check if there are any prompts in the goggles. The drone does not come with a cooling system, so the motor speed may be abnormal due to long idled or high temperatures. Also, below are the details on how to discharge the battery.
There are two discharge methods:
1) Slow: Place the Intelligent Flight Battery into the Battery Compartment and power it on. Leave it on until the ideal battery level.
2) Rapid: Fly the drone outdoors to discharge the battery.

We will take about the mode to safely discharge batteries as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention. All significant suggestions will be implemented after the evaluation of our relevant team. For the latest updates please stay tuned to our DJI official website at ( www.dji.com ). Thank you.
2023-5-5
Use props
WernerD
Second Officer
  • >>>
Austria

DJI Gamora Posted at 5-5 00:57
Hi, WernerD. Thank you for reaching Please check if there are any prompts in the goggles. The drone does not come with a cooling system, so the motor speed may be abnormal due to long idled or high temperatures. Also, below are the details on how to discharge the battery.
There are two discharge methods:
1) Slow: Place the Intelligent Flight Battery into the Battery Compartment and power it on. Leave it on until the ideal battery level.

Understood. Both options are not satisfactory for the user, as I assume you know anyway.
Flying down the battery works to maybe 20%. You will not fly to 0%. Hence it is a good method tho get from 100 or 60% to 20%.

Powering on the drone and let it sit there has two issues. First, especially the Avata, it goes into a low power mode, so it takes a loong time. Second the Avata does turn off automatically after some time. So you have to turn it on again and again.
2023-5-5
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

WernerD Posted at 5-5 06:28
Understood. Both options are not satisfactory for the user, as I assume you know anyway.
Flying down the battery works to maybe 20%. You will not fly to 0%. Hence it is a good method tho get from 100 or 60% to 20%.

Hi, WernerD. You may hover in place until you have reached your wanted battery level. We will also document your concern and send it to our relevant team as suggestions of yours. Thank you for your kind understanding and continued support.
2023-5-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules