How do you get a level horizon for a photo when flying FPV?
996 6 2023-5-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dangerly
lvl.4
United States

Some of DJI's drones like the FPV have only a one-axis gimbal, and I'm wondering how you take a photograph with a level horizon when you're up high enough that there's some wind? In the photo below I took with DJI FPV, the only way I've figured out how to do this, is to move / yaw sideways which levels out the horizon. I'd rather not do this in post if possible. Is there another way to level out the horizon? I know, I could use a three-axis gimbal drone but I'm wondering how to do this with one-axis?

BTW, in the photo above I was playing around with trying to blur out the props rather than crop the photo but I didn't get too far with that. Mainly I'm wondering about an easier or better way to level out the photo without flying sideways?

2023-5-4
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Nope, there's no way. Everything else would be to crop in.
2023-5-4
Use props
Dangerly
lvl.4
United States

Depp Posted at 5-4 07:10
Nope, there's no way. Everything else would be to crop in.

I haven't played with leveling a horizon in post with photoshop or whatever you would use. Have you done something like that after the fact and did it work out?
2023-5-4
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Germany

Dangerly Posted at 5-4 08:29
I haven't played with leveling a horizon in post with photoshop or whatever you would use. Have you done something like that after the fact and did it work out?

Yes, I've leveled quite a few photos and it's okay. Mostly you don't need 4k anyway even for larger prints.
But if you're really serious about photos I'd use a 3 axis gimbal drone, at least the Mini 3 Pro... I never take pictures with my fpv drones.
2023-5-4
Use props
Dangerly
lvl.4
United States

Depp Posted at 5-4 10:22
Yes, I've leveled quite a few photos and it's okay. Mostly you don't need 4k anyway even for larger prints.
But if you're really serious about photos I'd use a 3 axis gimbal drone, at least the Mini 3 Pro... I never take pictures with my fpv drones.

I agree the 3-axis gimbals are better, but there are times when I'm out flying FPV and I come across that perfect photo, if only... And I guess I just fly sideways to get the shot in that case or level in post. Thanks.
2023-5-4
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Hope that our fellow DJI Pilots could provide you with the best recommendation about doing some post-production in relation to this situation. Also, we will coordinate this with our designated team for attention. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-5-4
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Germany

Dangerly Posted at 5-4 14:55
I agree the 3-axis gimbals are better, but there are times when I'm out flying FPV and I come across that perfect photo, if only... And I guess I just fly sideways to get the shot in that case or level in post. Thanks.

DJI could make the sideways fly automatic for the time of the picture of course...
And I do remember one photo with my fpv as well ;-)
2023-5-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules