3D printing accessories?
1262 23 2023-5-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Next Tuesday, I am about to go on a longish bike trip through our community college course, and I have been wondering about filming the trip. My thoughts are to use a chest mount using the standard (GoPro style) quick release buckle and the Pocket 2, however I recently encountered trouble related to that.

Both the basic quick release clip and the one used with the GoPro Gooseneck seem to have cracks on their latches, so I am somewhat wary of using them with the Pocket 2. I do understand that with the generic clip, as it's a cheap third-party one, but the Gooseneck one felt disappointing, as I thought the GoPro to be a generally quality-assured brand. The image quickly shattered even further, as I did some investigations on both the GoPro customer service and the availability of the parts.

First of all, the GoPro customer service has SERVICE HOURS. ON THEIR ONLINE SERVICE! While I do understand that their human-based chats and phone services have those, I just cannot comprehend why there is no direct email address where I could contact them directly at any time. I do realise that even having answers through email takes their time, but I can think of exactly zero reasons why not allow sending that message anytime the customer has time to do so. I have also read that many customer ranking services have given the GoPro customer services some very low ratings, and it also seems like that in order to get both the regular and Gooseneck quick release buckles, I'll have to always buy extra stuff, even up to buying the same mounts twice just to get that one specific part supplied with it. No spare parts services whatsoever. This really made me see red and I decided not to buy GoPro stuff again. Earlier on, my thoughts on GoPro were mostly neutral or slightly more on the positive side, but it seems like I have to think my stance again.

Oh well, rant over about GoPro. But for the subject matter itself. Many other action camera mount brands still use the general quick release buckle system made popular by GoPro, and I still have some mounting accessories that utilize the system, so I cannot completely give up on it. Therefore, I need to think about good alternative solutions. I found out some 3D printer models for the buckles online that I can save to my computer and could print myself (if I just had a 3D Printer) or send to a 3D printing service so they can make them for me. This does seem tempting, and I found an alternative model to the general buckle model that does seem a bit sturdier. Also, the service offers the chance to print the models with TPU material that they say would suit this purpose well, as compared to ABS the commercially-made parts tend to use.

So I would like to ask if people here have experiences on these 3D printed releases, mounts and other accessories for their Pockets, action cameras, micophones, lights etc. How have they worked out for you? Some specific material or printed item that has suited your needs especially well? And on the other hand, are there some kinds of materials and/or accessories that are best left avoided?

Thanks in advance for all the replies and contributions!

2023-5-4
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

You might want to PM DAFlys.  He has a 3D printer and seems to be a pro level user.  He might be able to quickly answer any of your questions.  Hope this helps.
2023-5-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

For sturdy parts I recommend you go with PETG,  they wont look as nice but they will be string and UV resistant.  
2023-5-5
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-4 13:37
You might want to PM DAFlys.  He has a 3D printer and seems to be a pro level user.  He might be able to quickly answer any of your questions.  Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip. Seems like he already has commented on the thread, but good to know if I will have something specific in my mind. :-)
2023-5-5
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DAFlys Posted at 5-5 00:14
For sturdy parts I recommend you go with PETG,  they wont look as nice but they will be string and UV resistant.

Thanks on your thoughts. In this case, the looks are not that important, as I prefer functionality, durability and reliability over that.

I asked from a 3D printing service about a chance to 3D print GoPro style quick release buckles and what would be the most suitable material for that purpose. They suggested TPU over PETG, saying TPU stands better against cracking. Do you have any insights about what advantages and disadvantages that material has in general for that purpose?

I'll have to think about the materials for each item separately. I did see a rather nifty-looking mount system especially designed for the DJI Pocket cameras that might not need to be that flexible, I could consider PETG for that for example.

Once again, thanks for the insights and the shared knowledge.
2023-5-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 5-5 14:59
Thanks on your thoughts. In this case, the looks are not that important, as I prefer functionality, durability and reliability over that.

I asked from a 3D printing service about a chance to 3D print GoPro style quick release buckles and what would be the most suitable material for that purpose. They suggested TPU over PETG, saying TPU stands better against cracking. Do you have any insights about what advantages and disadvantages that material has in general for that purpose?

TPU is usually very flexible,   so Im not sure it would be a good fit for a mount unless movement wasnt an issue.  
2023-5-6
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

HGDC84 Posted at 5-5 14:51
Thanks for the tip. Seems like he already has commented on the thread, but good to know if I will have something specific in my mind. :-)

You're welcome.  He is always helpful and full of knowledge.  Feel free to pick his brain.  
2023-5-6
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DAFlys Posted at 5-6 00:43
TPU is usually very flexible,   so Im not sure it would be a good fit for a mount unless movement wasnt an issue.

Thanks for the warning, will have to bear that in mind. On some occasions, the mounts in my uses will be quite still all the time, but on others, there will probably be situations where the mounts will be in a more mobile environment.

I remember seeing somewhere that there coulb be some sort of rubber-silicone components that could be used to kind of lock the quick release buckles shut when used with mounts (they cover the middle latch part), could they possibly help in case the buckle would otherwise be too flexible and accidentally open on bumps, vibrations etc. because of that?
2023-5-6
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-6 06:01
You're welcome.  He is always helpful and full of knowledge.  Feel free to pick his brain.

He sure is. But I think I'd rather ask him for advice, instead of picking his brains with any items.
2023-5-6
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

HGDC84 Posted at 5-6 10:40
He sure is. But I think I'd rather ask him for advice, instead of picking his brains with any items.

Yeah, asking is much politer.    He is always helpful so I doubt he'll mind answering your queries.  
2023-5-7
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-7 04:47
Yeah, asking is much politer.    He is always helpful so I doubt he'll mind answering your queries.

Yes, he seems to be a thoughtful and helpful kind of a person. Quite happy to know most of the forum members are
2023-5-8
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DAFlys Posted at 5-6 00:43

Just heard from the company that is printing those parts for me, they printed those in TPU and found out that might be too flexible indeed and offered to print the parts with both that and PETG for the same price. So I guess I'll be seeing which one fits my purposes better. :-)
2023-5-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 5-8 12:37
Just heard from the company that is printing those parts for me, they printed those in TPU and found out that might be too flexible indeed and offered to print the parts with both that and PETG for the same price. So I guess I'll be seeing which one fits my purposes better. :-)

Keep us informed,   theres usually a lot of trial and error with 3d printing.  
2023-5-8
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

HGDC84 Posted at 5-8 12:35
Yes, he seems to be a thoughtful and helpful kind of a person. Quite happy to know most of the forum members are

Very true.  Only seen less than probably .5% who are here to just stir up things.  Worst offender hasn't been back in over 6 months so maybe he is trolling another forum now.  
2023-5-9
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DAFlys Posted at 5-8 23:00

I will, they have given an estimate of two to three weeks in delivery. I'll see how they turn out to be.

I have seem some silicone/rubber parts that attach to the middle latch of the quick release buckle of the GoPro system, I wonder if using those could prevent the TPU buckles from opening up accidentally. And for what I know, it at least lengthtens the lifespan of the ones made from harder types of plastic, as it prevents unintended bending and dampens the shocks the buckle possibly has to deal with therefore lessens the risk of the plastic cracking. I'll think about that too. Seemed to be relatively cheap on eBay.
2023-5-9
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-9 03:32
Very true.  Only seen less than probably .5% who are here to just stir up things.  Worst offender hasn't been back in over 6 months so maybe he is trolling another forum now.

We'll hope so. And in the meanwhile, I'll do my best to keep the atmosphere friendly and constructive on my behalf.
2023-5-9
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

HGDC84 Posted at 5-9 12:02
We'll hope so. And in the meanwhile, I'll do my best to keep the atmosphere friendly and constructive on my behalf.

Always nice to have a little levity in the day.    I've learned a lot on the forum so I do my best to pay it forward when I can.
2023-5-9
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-9 14:28
Always nice to have a little levity in the day.    I've learned a lot on the forum so I do my best to pay it forward when I can.

That is a good principle
2023-5-9
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

HGDC84 Posted at 5-9 14:34
That is a good principle

Thanks, it seems to work well so far.
2023-5-9
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DAFlys Posted at 5-8 23:00

The 3D printed items arrived yesterday. The company printing the items first printed them using TPU which they recommended after I asked for their suggestion for a suitable material, however after that they checked out the results and started to suspect it might be too flexible and offered to print similar items with PETG at no extra cost. So what I received from them was four GoPro compatible quick release items (two "regular" buckles with a modified design featuring reinforced prongs and two buckles designed to attach the GoPro Gooseneck mount to a quick release mount).

Tried them quickly. When I attempted to attach the PETG gooseneck part by screwing it onto its place, the plastic under the screw place cracked (possibly due to not perfectly fitting on to the attaching part) and the latch broke loose. So that was practically useless for me. :-( On the other hand, the TPU one did seem to fit well and held in one piece when screwed onto its place. The prongs do seem to be on the soft side, so still a bit cautious about them, but the fit was otherwise pretty tight and could stay in its place if there isn't too much bumps and vibrations. Just need to be considerate about the situations I will use it in.

The "regular" buckles, both the TPU and PETG ones, seem to be pretty much perfect. I just need to get the thumbscrews and corresponding nuts for them.

So, the results were kind of a mixed bag. Will have to think if there was a way to do some redesigning on the gooseneck part, I have no 3D modelling skills myself whatsoever nor a 3D printer, but those could be useful for the future, I'll have to think about it...
2023-5-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 5-18 04:18
The 3D printed items arrived yesterday. The company printing the items first printed them using TPU which they recommended after I asked for their suggestion for a suitable material, however after that they checked out the results and started to suspect it might be too flexible and offered to print similar items with PETG at no extra cost. So what I received from them was four GoPro compatible quick release items (two "regular" buckles with a modified design featuring reinforced prongs and two buckles designed to attach the GoPro Gooseneck mount to a quick release mount).

Tried them quickly. When I attempted to attach the PETG gooseneck part by screwing it onto its place, the plastic under the screw place cracked (possibly due to not perfectly fitting on to the attaching part) and the latch broke loose. So that was practically useless for me. :-( On the other hand, the TPU one did seem to fit well and held in one piece when screwed onto its place. The prongs do seem to be on the soft side, so still a bit cautious about them, but the fit was otherwise pretty tight and could stay in its place if there isn't too much bumps and vibrations. Just need to be considerate about the situations I will use it in.

Hard to say without seeing the part but the one that cracked may have been printed in the wrong orientation or the wrong temperature.  
2023-5-18
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DAFlys Posted at 5-18 23:00
Hard to say without seeing the part but the one that cracked may have been printed in the wrong orientation or the wrong temperature.

Possibly. I'll see how the TPU one will perform. I don't have much plans to do any mobile or shaky kind of filming with the gooseneck as of now.
2023-5-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 5-19 02:46
Possibly. I'll see how the TPU one will perform. I don't have much plans to do any mobile or shaky kind of filming with the gooseneck as of now.

Can you post a picture?   Im curious to what the quality is like.
2023-5-20
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DAFlys Posted at 5-20 01:41
Can you post a picture?   Im curious to what the quality is like.

Sure, I can take some and post them here at some point. I'd rather not take off the gooseneck part I have already attached, as putting it back would need some disaassembly, but I can still take pictures of it while it is attached. Also, the other three are not a problem. In generally speaking, the finish is somewhat untidy and the PETG gooseneck buckle turned out to be a disappointment due to cracking almost immediately and not fitting that well, but the TPU one feels reasonably solid (the flexiness notwithstanding), and the other two "basic" buckles do seem to be perfectly usable. But I'll post some pictures when I have the appropriate time for that.
2023-5-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules