Flight speed slows for no reason
741 13 2023-5-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Viralsaber
lvl.2
Flight distance : 141070 ft
United States

Yesterday I was flying around 200 feet up, wind speed around 20-25 mph.   The drone would acheave about 10-15 mph as it flew into the wind which is expected.   The problem was that sometimes its speed would slow to about .5 mph even though i was giving it full throttle.   To get it going again I had to reduce throttle to 0 then back to 100 at which time it would return to its usual cruising speed.  Has anyone seen this behavior before?
2023-5-7
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
France

Prob flying towards the sun, this can affect the sensors, either put in sports mode or turn them off for the time being...
2023-5-7
Use props
Viralsaber
lvl.2
United States

Unfortunately I was flying away from the sun.  This would also happen when in sport mode.
2023-5-7
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Viralsaber Posted at 5-7 08:18
Unfortunately I was flying away from the sun.  This would also happen when in sport mode.

Post the flight log or the Phantomhelp URL it will show the amount of pitch being used to get those speeds.
See https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/
for instructions
2023-5-7
Use props
Viralsaber
lvl.2
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-7 09:12
Post the flight log or the Phantomhelp URL it will show the amount of pitch being used to get those speeds.
See https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/
for instructions

Ok here's the flight log for one of the flights, this happened several times over the course of a few hours.  In this case the slowdown starts to happen around the 29 second mark.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/8SMQSQWSQ8HWQGGJC54A
2023-5-7
Use props
Viralsaber
lvl.2
United States

I think another incident might have happened around the 1:59 minute mark.
2023-5-7
Use props
Pleomax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 835725 ft
United Kingdom

Viralsaber Posted at 5-7 09:48
I think another incident might have happened around the 1:59 minute mark.

Hi Viralsaber

Had a look at your log.

More a wind and gust problem at altitude than a fault with AC, imho - see attached.

This from Airdata showing ground wind speed and direction.

2023-5-7
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Viralsaber Posted at 5-7 08:18

Then i am inclined to agree with, Pleomax, you had strong wind warnings and you were in N mode, you would have been better in Sports mode as it's faster to help with the stronger wind speeds. Also lowering the height would have helped too.

2023-5-7
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. Can you please try to bring your aircraft to a different location without a strong wind and see if the issue persists? Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2023-5-7
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Strong gusts of wind (possibly not detectable at ground level) can cause this situation at such an altitude.
2023-5-8
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I don't think gusts were the whole story. From memory of a look at the first incident the drone's pitch decreases as it slows down.
If it was fighting a head wind its pitch would increase, if it had a tail wind its speed would remain constant. I think roll did slightly increase but not by much.
I flew a Mavic Mini upwind to distance and then RTH'ed, it was almost level (windless hover position) the whole way back, meaning the tail wind was very near RTH speed, in fact at times it might have been downwind side up, meaning it was flying upwind to abide by the RTH speed limit..
2023-5-8
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

I have a question about your flightlog.
See my chart of your data.

Did you change yourself so many times between APAS setting  OFF and APAS setting ByPass ?

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
2023-5-8
Use props
Viralsaber
lvl.2
United States

The only thing I tried was switching from Normal to Sport but I didn't switch back and forth because Sport didn't seem to make any difference.  Now that you've pointed this out it is very strange, what would cause this because I wasn't doing it.

This behavior happened on at least one other mission I flew, let me see if I can find it.
2023-5-8
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Viralsaber Posted at 5-8 05:35
The only thing I tried was switching from Normal to Sport but I didn't switch back and forth because Sport didn't seem to make any difference.  Now that you've pointed this out it is very strange, what would cause this because I wasn't doing it.

This behavior happened on at least one other mission I flew, let me see if I can find it.

Thanks for your answer.

It has something to do with the decryption of the flightlog.txt into a csv file, i think....
PhantomHelp say however that the flightlog really contains these flightmodes.

I am trying to find out what the cause is for this mode switching.

If you fly your drone near the max height setting or near the max distance setting (user settings) than the APAS is disabled automatically.

In your flight 12x N mode Bypass to N mode v.v, flying heading 235 at 7 pm....so is it the sun into the forwards vision sensor wich cause this switching ?
Or mayby when the drone is flying with high pitch and roll angles.
cheers
JJB

2023-5-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules