Remote ID for older model Mini 2s?
1234Next >
35596 128 2023-5-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_9p6jptK4cYIM
lvl.1
United States

Question on RID provisioning for an older Mini 2 (manufactured in 2020):   The <250 g rule notwithstanding, can anyone tell me whether older model Mini 2s actually have the hardware for RID?  Or are users on their own to buy some add-on RID hardware, and if so, won't adding it break the <250 g threshold?The FAA site (https://uasdoc.faa.gov/listDocs) does NOT list the Mini2 as "Accepted"  yet, which I interpret to mean it's non-compliant or still awaiting adjudication.  
Does anyone know if DJI is going to offer a path to compliance?  
I'm traveling to Japan, where they mandate RID-equipped drones, even down to 100g, so I need an path to RID compliance.   
I understand that the DJI Fly App added Japanese RID support as of v.1.6, but that presumes one has RID-compliant hardware, which I don't know we Mini 2 users do.  

2023-5-7
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Thank you for your feedback. According to the FAR Part 89 Remote ID regulations, the RID compliance for American users starts from September 16, 2023. Before that, the FAA RID regulation does not affect the user’s flight activity. DJI will conduct an evaluation and prepare appropriate plans for different aircraft after the RID technical standards and MOC recognized by FAA are issued.
2023-5-7
Use props
djiuser_9p6jptK4cYIM
lvl.1
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 5-7 18:35
Thank you for your feedback. According to the FAR Part 89 Remote ID regulations, the RID compliance for American users starts from September 16, 2023. Before that, the FAA RID regulation does not affect the user’s flight activity. DJI will conduct an evaluation and prepare appropriate plans for different aircraft after the RID technical standards and MOC recognized by FAA are issued.

Thank you, but September is just 4 months away, and there's nothing that I've been able to find indicating DJI has plans to provision Mini 2s, or what that path might look like.  FAA's site already lists 11 types of DJI drones that have been declared RID compliant, so I take that to mean the technical standards are already issued and being used to assess DJI platforms.
Furthermore, I'm going to Japan before Sept 2023, and their current regs preclude non-RID equipped drones of any size from flying.  So, I'm looking for a solution sooner than Sep 2023.
2023-5-7
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

djiuser_9p6jptK4cYIM Posted at 5-7 19:25
Thank you, but September is just 4 months away, and there's nothing that I've been able to find indicating DJI has plans to provision Mini 2s, or what that path might look like.  FAA's site already lists 11 types of DJI drones that have been declared RID compliant, so I take that to mean the technical standards are already issued and being used to assess DJI platforms.
Furthermore, I'm going to Japan before Sept 2023, and their current regs preclude non-RID equipped drones of any size from flying.  So, I'm looking for a solution sooner than Sep 2023.

Thank you for your response. We will forward this to our designated team for attention. We appreciate your understanding.
2023-5-11
Use props
djiuser_jYZlqzPCGtAV
lvl.1
Flight distance : 407 ft
Brazil

DJI Paladin Posted at 5-11 01:46
Thank you for your response. We will forward this to our designated team for attention. We appreciate your understanding.

Hello! Is there any update about the RID function with the Mini 2? I read in drone-laws.com/drone-laws-in-japan/ that DJI Japan might have confirmed the Mini 2 has the capabilities for RID by the latest firmware, but I haven't found anything in the Security tab with the 01.07.0200 update. I have a trip to Japan arriving October 1st and now I'm worried I can't start the process to register the drone usage with the Japanese authorities.
2023-5-30
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

djiuser_jYZlqzPCGtAV Posted at 5-30 16:02
Hello! Is there any update about the RID function with the Mini 2? I read in drone-laws.com/drone-laws-in-japan/ that DJI Japan might have confirmed the Mini 2 has the capabilities for RID by the latest firmware, but I haven't found anything in the Security tab with the 01.07.0200 update. I have a trip to Japan arriving October 1st and now I'm worried I can't start the process to register the drone usage with the Japanese authorities.

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The DJI Mini 2 comes with a built-in Remote ID, so you need to keep your drone, remote controller, and APP up to date first. Please note that Remote ID can only be logged in with DJI FLY APP in Japan.

Drone registration in JP
https://www.ossportal.dips.mlit.go.jp/portal/top/
2023-6-1
Use props
TomKatt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115184 ft
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 6-1 03:16
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The DJI Mini 2 comes with a built-in Remote ID, so you need to keep your drone, remote controller, and APP up to date first. Please note that Remote ID can only be logged in with DJI FLY APP in Japan.

Drone registration in JP

Is there any way you can provide a link confirming that the Mini 2 includes RID capability?  Searching the web returns conflicting reports and every official DJI note I've found indicates the Mini 2 does _not_ have RID.
2023-6-2
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

If it's not listed here - https://uasdoc.faa.gov/listDocs - it doesn't have RID, YET!!!
2023-6-2
Use props
TomKatt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115184 ft
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 6-2 09:48
If it's not listed here - https://uasdoc.faa.gov/listDocs - it doesn't have RID, YET!!!

No Mini 2 entries.  The Mini 3 was registered in 4th qtr 2022.  Considering the Mini 2 just recieved a FW update on 3/31/23, you would have expected to see it if they were going to offer it on the Mini 2.

So I wouldn't count on it in the future.  From DJI's perspective, if you need RID on a drone under 250g, buy the Mini 3.
2023-6-2
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

TomKatt Posted at 6-2 09:44
Is there any way you can provide a link confirming that the Mini 2 includes RID capability?  Searching the web returns conflicting reports and every official DJI note I've found indicates the Mini 2 does _not_ have RID.

Hello, TomKatt. This law is only applicable to Japan Remote ID. Please note that the laws in the United States are different in Japan. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-6-4
Use props
djiuser_jYZlqzPCGtAV
lvl.1
Brazil

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The DJI Mini 2 comes with a built-in Remote ID, so you need to keep your drone, remote controller, and APP up to date first. Please note that Remote ID can only be logged in with DJI FLY APP in Japan.

Drone registration in JP

Thanks for the information, DJI Paladin! I have just completed the registration process and now I'm waiting for confirmation of my application.

One thing I noticed is that when selecting DJI as the UA (Unmanned Aircraft) manufacturer and the Mini 2 as the model, the application page automatically selected/retained the Remote ID Type as "Yes (built-in)." From this, I assume that the Japanese authorities are already aware that the Mini 2 has a built-in RID.

In any case, I presume that when I arrive in Japan, the DJI app will update with my location and display the RID information in the Security tab of the app?

So far, both my firmware and the app are up to date.

2023-6-11
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

djiuser_jYZlqzPCGtAV Posted at 6-11 07:45
Thanks for the information, DJI Paladin! I have just completed the registration process and now I'm waiting for confirmation of my application.

One thing I noticed is that when selecting DJI as the UA (Unmanned Aircraft) manufacturer and the Mini 2 as the model, the application page automatically selected/retained the Remote ID Type as "Yes (built-in)." From this, I assume that the Japanese authorities are already aware that the Mini 2 has a built-in RID.

Hello there. You may send an email to our team at support.jp@dji.com for further assistance on this one. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-6-12
Use props
Shawgod
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5173104 ft
United States

So let me get this straight.  The Mini 2 is RID compliant and I can register it on the Dronezone?  Or am I reading this wrong?
2023-6-12
Use props
MBSL500
lvl.4
United States

Let's see if I can get a definitive answer.

DJI,
Is the U.S. version of the Mini 2 *capable* of becomming RID compliant with it's currently installed hardware?

If not, will a future firmware update provide all that is required for the  Mini 2 to be RID compliant in the U.S. before Sept 2023?

Please answer yes or no to both questions.
No need to forward the question to your enginnering team in China.

2023-6-12
Use props
DroneApe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459954 ft
United States

Shawgod Posted at 6-12 16:38
So let me get this straight.  The Mini 2 is RID compliant and I can register it on the Dronezone?  Or am I reading this wrong?

I don’t see the Mini 2 on the U.S. government list...so therefore it isn't Remote ID compliant as of June 9th, 2023.

https://uasdoc.faa.gov/listDocs

I’m going to assume you are Recreational flyer.  If you only fly the Mini 2 under the U.S. Recreational Exception rules, and the Mini 2 doesn't weigh more than 250 grams (0.55 pounds), it doesn’t need to have Remote ID.  

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/remote_id

2023-6-12
Use props
MBSL500
lvl.4
United States

I don't belive that is correct.
The reason it isn't listed is because the Mini 2 hasn't been *accepted*.
I see no regulation that exemps the Mini 2 based on it's weight.
You'll be able to fly in FRIA locations without the ID, but that will be about it.

2023-6-12
Use props
DroneApe
lvl.4
United States

MBSL500 Posted at 6-12 19:48
I don't belive that is correct.
I might be wrong, but I see no regulation that exemps the Mini 2 based on it's weight.

You don’t believe it’s correct because you don’t understand the rules.  That’s why I’m assuming you’re a Recreational flyer.  A Certified Part 107 pilot would understand the rules.  

It clearly states that Pilots who are required to register their drone....that drone must have Remote ID beginning 9/16/23
Which Drone Pilots Must Comply With the Rule?
All drone pilots required to register their UAS must operate their aircraft in accordance with the final rule on remote ID beginning September 16, 2023, which gives drone owners sufficient time to upgrade their aircraft.

If you still have doubts, there’s an FAA telephone number you can call in the link below.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/remote_id

2023-6-12
Use props
MBSL500
lvl.4
United States

DroneApe Posted at 6-12 19:59
You don’t believe it’s correct because you don’t understand the rules.  That’s why I’m assuming you’re Recreational flyer.  A Certified Part 107 pilot would understand the rules.  

It clearly states that Pilots who are required to register their drones must have a drone with Remote ID.

If so, then anyone in the US will be legally permitted to fly their Mini 2 without needing a remote ID.
I appreciate the clarification.

2023-6-12
Use props
DroneApe
lvl.4
United States

MBSL500 Posted at 6-12 20:01
Please point me to the 250 gram exemption.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started
2023-6-12
Use props
DroneApe
lvl.4
United States

MBSL500 Posted at 6-12 20:01
If so, then anyone in the US will be legally permitted to fly their Mini 2 without needing a remote ID.
I appreciate the clarification.

I never said that.   Go back and read what I wrote.
A Cerified Part 107 pilot flying under Part 107 rules must register their Mini 2 and figure out how to make their Mini 2 Remote ID compliant with the FAA before September 16th 2023...if they want to use their Mini 2 under Part 107 rules.  

Anyone in the U.S. flying their Mini 2 under the U.S. Recreational exception rules and as long as their Mini 2 doesn't weigh more than 0.55 pounds (250 grams)...they don't need Remote ID on their Mini 2.

A Certified Part 107 Pilot can still fly their Mini 2 under the Recreational exception rules on/after 9/16/23 if they don't make their Mini 2 compliant with Remote ID (assuming it doesn't weigh more than 0.55 pounds). But if they don't make their Mini 2 compliant with Remote ID, they can't fly it under Part 107 rules on/after 9/16/23.

If any person causes their Mini 2 drone to weigh more than 0.55 pounds (250 grams), then the drone is "required" to be registered with the FAA. So therefore it would be a "required" registered drone thus requiring it to be compliant with Remote ID on 9/16/23 if flown at a weight over 0.55 pounds.
2023-6-12
Use props
MBSL500
lvl.4
United States

Lying? You're joking.
No, just trying to sift though all the mis-information, contradictions and ambiguity regarding the Mini 2 /RID  that is all over the internet.

2023-6-12
Use props
DroneApe
lvl.4
United States

MBSL500 Posted at 6-12 21:26
Lying? You're joking.
No, just trying to sift though all the mis-information, contradictions and ambiguity regarding the Mini 2 /RID  that is all over the internet.
And damn if you didn't come through and provide the expertise so desperately wanted by Mini 2 owners everywhere.

Your best bet is to call the FAA.  

If you’re going to restate what I clarified, then you should restate it exactly as I wrote it.   Don't invent your own rules and then try to attribute it to my clarification.
2023-6-12
Use props
djiuser_jYZlqzPCGtAV
lvl.1
Brazil

DJI Paladin Posted at 6-12 00:56
Hello there. You may send an email to our team at  for further assistance on this one. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Hello, DJI Paladin!

Thank you for the guidance. I obtained a definitive confirmation from DJI Japan support that the Mini 2 indeed has support for RID (Remote ID) in Japan. I also found that in firmware version V01.05.0000, dated 06/17/2022, DJI has already included this functionality, as evidenced below. However, it only becomes enabled when the drone and app detect that the Mini 2 is in Japan:

[DJI Japan support original message]
お世話になっております。DJI JAPANカスタマーサポートです。
お問い合わせいただき、誠にありがとうございます。
ご連絡いただいた内容について、以下にご案内させていただきます。
ケルビン様のご理解の通り、Mini 2は内蔵リモートIDに対応しております。
また、DJIFLYはインターネット環境やGPSを通じて所在国を検知しております。所在国により、アプリの表示内容が異なります。日本に入国後は自動的にRemoteIDの項目が表示されると存じますので、ご安心ください。

[translated]
"Thank you for contacting DJI JAPAN Customer Support.
We appreciate your inquiry and would like to provide you with the following information. As you correctly understood, the Mini 2 is compatible with built-in Remote ID. Furthermore, DJIFLY detects the country of operation through internet connection and GPS. The app's display may vary depending on the country. We assure you that after entering Japan, the Remote ID feature will be automatically displayed. Please rest assured. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us.
Best regards, DJI JAPAN Customer Support"

I would like to record this information here to facilitate confirmation by other Mini 2 users and provide them with peace of mind; I was quite worried about the RID since the drone is a must for my travel plans and I have come across a lot of confusing information about it on the internet. I have already completed the registration of my Mini 2 with the Japanese authorities as well, so now I am just waiting for the trip.

I understand this finally confirms that the Mini 2 has the RID function, and it may likely be enabled in the USA after 09/16/2023, possibly for cases where the Mini 2 exceeds the weight limit of 249g.

2023-6-23
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

djiuser_jYZlqzPCGtAV Posted at 6-23 14:36
Hello, DJI Paladin!

Thank you for the guidance. I obtained a definitive confirmation from DJI Japan support that the Mini 2 indeed has support for RID (Remote ID) in Japan. I also found that in firmware version V01.05.0000, dated 06/17/2022, DJI has already included this functionality, as evidenced below. However, it only becomes enabled when the drone and app detect that the Mini 2 is in Japan:

Thank you for your response. We're glad that you already cleared the information needed to fly your unit in Japan. We also appreciate you for sharing this information that you posted. Should you have other inquiries, please don't hesitate to reach us. Have a nice day ahead!
2023-6-25
Use props
djiuser_uoeLD4v6GeQa
New

United States

Sorry, replied to the wrong message.
2023-7-20
Use props
djiuser_uoeLD4v6GeQa
New

United States

I'll get the hang of this sooner or later, sorry again.
2023-7-20
Use props
djiuser_uoeLD4v6GeQa
New

United States

We're within just a few weeks of not being able to fly our Mini 2s without RID.  When can we expect to see the certified Remote ID functionality?  I'd hate to think I just spent close to $1,000 on this aircraft and accessories and won't be able to fly it.
2023-7-20
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

djiuser_uoeLD4v6GeQa Posted at 7-20 12:11
We're within just a few weeks of not being able to fly our Mini 2s without RID.  When can we expect to see the certified Remote ID functionality?  I'd hate to think I just spent close to $1,000 on this aircraft and accessories and won't be able to fly it.

As long as you fly recreationally, RID is not mandated.
2023-7-20
Use props
Tom Richard
lvl.2

United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 7-20 12:39
As long as you fly recreationally, RID is not mandated.

That’s the way I been reading too.
2023-7-20
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djiuser_uoeLD4v6GeQa Posted at 7-20 12:11
We're within just a few weeks of not being able to fly our Mini 2s without RID.  When can we expect to see the certified Remote ID functionality?  I'd hate to think I just spent close to $1,000 on this aircraft and accessories and won't be able to fly it.

Hi there. Sorry for the inconvenience. The DJI Mini 2 only weighs 242 grams therefore RID is not needed (as also mentioned by Mobilehomer) unless you're using the drone for commercial purposes. Drones that weigh 250 grams and above are mandated to be registered with the FAA. Thank you for understanding. Have a great day ahead.
2023-7-21
Use props
djiuser_UmJlfDTcDRri
New

United States

Drone registration in JP

I was on a chat with DJI last night and the DJI Mini 2 DOES NOT have RID.
2023-7-26
Use props
DroneApe
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_UmJlfDTcDRri Posted at 7-26 08:30
I was on a chat with DJI last night and the DJI Mini 2 DOES NOT have RID.

Hi,

This thread was originally about the mini 2 and Japan’s Remote ID.  The original poster was traveling to Japan and was asking about compliance with Japan's Remote ID.

This thread wasn't originally about the United States and Remote ID.  If you live in USA and fly your Mini 2 in USA, and only fly the Mini 2 under the U.S. recreational rules, then you don’t need Remote ID on your mini 2 because it doesn't weigh more than 250 grams (0.55 pounds)
2023-7-26
Use props
angeloffate
lvl.4
Poland

does air 3 have RID? Mini 3 does not?
2023-7-26
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

angeloffate Posted at 7-26 21:57
does air 3 have RID? Mini 3 does not?

Hello there. Both the new DJI Air 3 and DJI Mini 3 support FAA RID. Thank you for reaching out and have a great day ahead.
2023-7-26
Use props
angeloffate
lvl.4
Poland

thanks man
2023-7-27
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

No problem, angeloffate. I'm glad to assist. Have a great day.
2023-7-27
Use props
TXOutdoorsman
New

United States

The question has been asked a few times, but never answered. Will the Mini2 get a firmware upgrade to make it RID compliant in the US for those who wish to use it for Part 107 covered activities after September 16, which will require Remote ID notwithstanding the weight of the aircraft?  As someone who recently purchased a Mini 2, I would like to know whether my investment will be worthless in a bit more than a month for my intended use.  

Thanks.  
2023-7-28
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

djiuser_UmJlfDTcDRri Posted at 7-26 08:30
I was on a chat with DJI last night and the DJI Mini 2 DOES NOT have RID.

This information is for DJI Mini 2 Japan Remote ID as DroneApe mentioned above. If you are referring to the FAA Remote ID, drones that weigh 0.55 pounds or less (less than 250 grams) may not have the Remote ID function such as DJI Mini, DJI Mini 2, DJI Mini 2 SE, and Tello. Hope this helps. Thank you.
2023-7-30
Use props
CWO512
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12766 ft
United States

TXOutdoorsman Posted at 7-28 18:34
The question has been asked a few times, but never answered. Will the Mini2 get a firmware upgrade to make it RID compliant in the US for those who wish to use it for Part 107 covered activities after September 16, which will require Remote ID notwithstanding the weight of the aircraft?  As someone who recently purchased a Mini 2, I would like to know whether my investment will be worthless in a bit more than a month for my intended use.  

Thanks.

There doesn't appear to be any FAA DoC paperwork filed for the Mini 2. For Part 107 it won't be "worthless" as you can add on a small self-contained RID module, which may increase its weight above the 250 gr limit. But this again won't make any difference for Part 107 because it still has to be FAA registered anyway for Part 107 work. Something like the DroneTag Beacon that only weighs 16 grams, is completely self-contained with USB charging port, and can be stuck to the back of your Mini 2 with velcro is probably a good solution.

Or you can sell your Mini 2 on craigslist or something (the sub-250's are pretty hot items with the new regs and shouldn't have much trouble selling it), and buy a Mini 3 that has RID built-in for Part 107.

The Mini 2 is completely legal for recreational fliers to fly anywhere without registration or RID in the US so I don't see where DJI is going to get very excited about adding RID capability to it.
2023-7-30
Use props
Shawgod
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5173104 ft
United States

I know I have a AIR2S that I am going to fly with my work part 107 related flying.  My recreational flying I will fly the Mini 2 once in a while.  Unfortunately I have a Phantom 4 Pro that will be a casualty until I get a RID module.  But I am going to wait until more of these are going to come out and they are cheaper.  Once they are cheaper I can only hope they are smaller in size I will buy one for my Phantom and my Mini 2.  But After the deadline I plan to fly the 2 drones.  Just the Mini 2 will be flown Recreational only and the AIR2S part 107.
2023-7-30
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules