Taking drone on a plane. Any issue?
681 6 2023-5-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 474537 ft
United States

Hello. Planning to travel so wondering is there any issues or restrictions on bring a drone on a plane in the USA. I plan to bring it as a carry on. Will security check point let me through or do i have to get permission from the airport first. Planning to take the mavic 3 and 2 batteries.
2023-5-8
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

the only issues i am aware of is total number of batteries which is basically don't trying to bring several dozen hi-capacity batteries and put them in checked baggage.  typical drone batteries are not a problem and as long as you carry them with you, should be fine.  not really a problem for the airlines but tsa may vary.  i've had them ask me to remove it from the baggage and go thru the xray separately but that's about it.  nothing along the lines of checking mah or if they are properly stored.  m3 and 2 batteries should be fine
2023-5-8
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Carry on is fine.  I do it regularly.
Never been an issue.
2023-5-8
Use props
Yaros1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 19981112 ft
Spain

There shouldn't be any issue, just put it in your carry on.
I carried it with me in the DJI Fly more combo bag, didn't even open the bag during airport security X-ray scan. They didn't ask me to.

However, I would really suggest that both batteries should have about 50% battery level, don't carry them with close to 0 or 100 charge, this will put stress on the batteries and may even cause swelling.
2023-5-9
Use props
OllyP
lvl.1
Flight distance : 65348 ft
United Kingdom

Also, worth checking who you fly with - certain airlines have different rules on drones. Not 100% relevant, but I was planning a flight to Dubai and Emirates airlines wanted the drone in checked luggage instead of carry on.
2023-5-10
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC. Thank you for reaching out. we won't be able to answer your question directly as this depends on the airline's policy, please contact them and if they ask for the drone or battery's information, you may check the specs of your drone on our website, like this one: (https://www.dji.com/mavic-3/specs). Thank you for your kind understanding.
2023-5-10
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44914321 ft
Sweden

Hi, Also do not forget to check battery capacity. Some air lines has a limit to 2 batteries and also max 100 wh and that the batteries are discharged to 50% capacity and that terminals are protected against and short circuits. I had my Mavic 2 Pro Lipo batteries checked by Emirates and was OK. I also had the batteries in a Lipo bag for extra protection. Absolutely best to actually check with the air lines first.
2023-5-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules