RC Pro screen color issues in HLG
1832 32 2023-5-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
christangey
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Ok, I'm probably missing something basic, but I notice since  the last update that the RC Pro monitor, when shooting in HLG, shows a  horrible color
profile, not loggy at all and makes it really hard to see the detail of what you are shooting.

I  suspect it is showing the Hasselblad "normal" profile which is way  oversaturated and has really crushed blacks in the shadows. Does anyone  know why this is happening, or if there is some sort of downloadable  color assist LUT to let me see what I am actually shooting in HLG?
2023-5-9
Use props
Viridis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2383556 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's probably something as simple as the display not supporting hdr,
Colours will always look off if viewing 10 bit on 8 bit displays.
But yeah, the latest update definitely did something to the colour profile.
2023-5-9
Use props
christangey
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Viridis Posted at 5-9 04:59
It's probably something as simple as the display not supporting hdr,
Colours will always look off if viewing 10 bit on 8 bit displays.
But yeah, the latest update definitely did something to the colour profile.

yes, but it was working fine before the update and the whole point of HLG is that it works in both Rec2020 and Rec709. I was hoping somebody would have a simple answer as I'm about to go on a remote BBC location scout and it would have been good to have it sorted before then. I'm going to test if the issue is the same with d-log, if not I might have to shoot in that until I can work this out.
2023-5-9
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

For me, for example, the display is more or less a control of the flight path, of the objects I want to film, to present all the necessary data to fly safely...

It's much less a question of controlling the colors or anything like that, because of course I do  always do afterwards at home on the PC...
2023-5-9
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, christangey. Thank you for reaching out. What drone are you using with the DJI RC Pro?
2023-5-10
Use props
christangey
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Gamora Posted at 5-10 05:36
Hi, christangey. Thank you for reaching out. What drone are you using with the DJI RC Pro?

I am using a Mavic 3 cine Gomora. I should also mention I am now doing photogrammetry for a major tv series and it will be really difficult if I'm not sure of what I'm shooting and especially for the VFX people!
2023-5-11
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

christangey Posted at 5-11 15:07
I am using a Mavic 3 cine Gomora. I should also mention I am now doing photogrammetry for a major tv series and it will be really difficult if I'm not sure of what I'm shooting and especially for the VFX people!

Maybe you should refresh the firmware, both for the drone and for the DJI RC Pro, using DJI Assistant 2 (consumer drones)...
2023-5-13
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

christangey Posted at 5-11 15:07

Thank you for the reply, christangey. Are you only having this problem when viewing on RC Pro screen or have you tried other devices to view the recorded video/s? If it's only with the RC Pro, please provide us a screenshot or operation video. If it's with other devices as well, kindly provide us with the raw videos. Kindly record "Normal" color mode, "HLG" color mode, and also D-log color mode, then send them to us for checking. (These original files need to be exported from aircraft, not from  RC pro). We will wait for your reply. Thank you.
2023-5-15
Use props
christangey
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Gamora Posted at 5-15 07:33
Thank you for the reply, christangey. Are you only having this problem when viewing on RC Pro screen or have you tried other devices to view the recorded video/s? If it's only with the RC Pro, please provide us a screenshot or operation video. If it's with other devices as well, kindly provide us with the raw videos. Kindly record "Normal" color mode, "HLG" color mode, and also D-log color mode, then send them to us for checking. (These original files need to be exported from aircraft, not from  RC pro). We will wait for your reply. Thank you.

Unfortunately I am at extremely remote locations and have limited internet, it is too late for this job so will reply in a few days
2023-5-15
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

christangey Posted at 5-15 14:29
Unfortunately I am at extremely remote locations and have limited internet, it is too late for this job so will reply in a few days

No worries, christangey. Please keep us posted. Have a safe flight always!
2023-5-17
Use props
fans928e19a3
lvl.2
Flight distance : 186594 ft

Australia

DJI Gamora Posted at 5-17 23:44

Hi Gamora, I am having the exact same issue when using the RC Pro and the issue is visible on the screen as well as the HDMI output which we send to live broadcast. I can provide raw files as well as hdmi prores files of the issue. What is the best email to send the download links to the files and keep the conversation going?
2023-6-13
Use props
fans928e19a3
lvl.2

Australia

Hi Gamora, I am having the exact same issue when using the RC Pro and the issue is visible on the screen as well as the HDMI output and the USBC output both of which which we send to live broadcast. I can provide raw files from the drone as well as prores recordings of the hdmi output showing the the issue. What is the best email to send the download links to the files and keep the conversation going?
2023-6-13
Use props
Mickkeat
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12790013 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Following ; we've got the same complaint.
2023-6-13
Use props
fans928e19a3
lvl.2

Australia

Same issue on our Mavic3 Classic, Mavic 3, Mavic3 Cine and Mavic3 Pro.. the issue on all of them started with the latest firmware update and there is no option to rollback in DJI Assistant2.

Can you provide a rollback to the previous firmware?
2023-6-15
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

fans928e19a3 Posted at 6-13 02:30
Hi Gamora, I am having the exact same issue when using the RC Pro and the issue is visible on the screen as well as the HDMI output which we send to live broadcast. I can provide raw files as well as hdmi prores files of the issue. What is the best email to send the download links to the files and keep the conversation going?

Hi, fans928e19a3. We're sorry to read about this. For us to check, please provide us the needed information from Post #10. Thank you.
2023-6-16
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Mickkeat Posted at 6-13 22:48
Following ; we've got the same complaint.

Hi, Mickkeat. We're sorry to read about this. For us to check, please provide us the needed information from Post #10. Thank you.
2023-6-16
Use props
fans928e19a3
lvl.2

Australia

To clarify the issue is with the hdmi output from the remote, the recorded clips are fine. I’ll upload examples asap from the drone and the remote
2023-6-16
Use props
christangey
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Gamora Posted at 5-15 07:33
Thank you for the reply, christangey. Are you only having this problem when viewing on RC Pro screen or have you tried other devices to view the recorded video/s? If it's only with the RC Pro, please provide us a screenshot or operation video. If it's with other devices as well, kindly provide us with the raw videos. Kindly record "Normal" color mode, "HLG" color mode, and also D-log color mode, then send them to us for checking. (These original files need to be exported from aircraft, not from  RC pro). We will wait for your reply. Thank you.

OK, My apologies Gamora, I finally remembered to do this. Here are some screen shots:

and here all the screen shots again with corresponding short videos https://bit.ly/42JpYLx
2023-6-16
Use props
christangey
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

christangey Posted at 6-16 23:31
OK, My apologies Gamora, I finally remembered to do this. Here are some screen shots:

[view_image][view_image][view_image]

Everything can be downloaded from the above link, I look forward to your response.
2023-6-16
Use props
fans928e19a3
lvl.2

Australia

link to drone files and hdmi recordings: https://drive.google.com/drive/f ... PO_L?usp=share_link
2023-6-19
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

christangey Posted at 6-16 23:31

[view_image][view_image][view_image]

No worries, christangey. Thank you for the link. We'll forward it to our relevant team for further checking.
2023-6-19
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

fans928e19a3 Posted at 6-19 04:05
link to drone files and hdmi recordings: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1tCGZQCcg5V-Evwh4dCUlAMAwy8XmPO_L?usp=share_link

Hi, fans928e19a3. Thank you for your cooperation. We'll forward it to our relevant team for further checking. We'll let you know once we receive an update. Thank you.
2023-6-19
Use props
fans13e3bf43
New

Australia

DJI Gamora Posted at 6-19 05:09
Hi, fans928e19a3. Thank you for your cooperation. We'll forward it to our relevant team for further checking. We'll let you know once we receive an update. Thank you.

Hello Gamora, I'm having the same issues
2023-6-19
Use props
fans13e3bf43
New

Australia

DJI Gamora Posted at 6-19 05:09

Hello Gamora, I'm having the same issues.
2023-6-19
Use props
christangey
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

fans928e19a3 Posted at 6-19 04:05
link to drone files and hdmi recordings: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1tCGZQCcg5V-Evwh4dCUlAMAwy8XmPO_L?usp=share_link

Mathew, I tried to download it and it "failed"
2023-6-19
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

fans13e3bf43 Posted at 6-19 20:52
Hello Gamora, I'm having the same issues.

Hi, fans13e3bf43. We're sorry to read about this. You may also upload your files and share the link with us so that we can forward it to our relevant team. Thank you.
2023-6-22
Use props
Mickkeat
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12790013 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hi Gamora - any updates on this issue?  It's really affecting our workflow and we can't roll back firmware when it was fine.
2023-7-1
Use props
fans928e19a3
lvl.2

Australia

christangey Posted at 6-19 21:26
Mathew, I tried to download it and it "failed"

The link is for DJI only.
2023-7-8
Use props
christangey1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27719574 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fans928e19a3 Posted at 7-8 03:58
The link is for DJI only.

This is a public forum to help others, why on earth would you not allow others to see it?!
2023-7-22
Use props
christangey
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Gamora Posted at 6-22 07:40
Hi, fans13e3bf43. We're sorry to read about this. You may also upload your files and share the link with us so that we can forward it to our relevant team. Thank you.

Gamora, it is now 3 months since I raised this issue, any updates please?
2023-8-6
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

christangey Posted at 8-6 17:28
Gamora, it is now 3 months since I raised this issue, any updates please?

Hi, christangey. Thanks for patiently waiting. It has been confirmed that the phenomenon you provided conforms to the current design, which is for your convenience to check the color of the video. When you select the HLG mode, the color display assistance is enabled by default in the live view, and the live view effect is closer to Rec709, so there will be a saturated look and feel, please feel free to use it. At the same time, we will also feed back your current opinions to the engineers to evaluate the subsequent optimization plan, thank you for your support.
2023-8-8
Use props
christangey
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Gamora Posted at 8-8 07:51
Hi, christangey. Thanks for patiently waiting. It has been confirmed that the phenomenon you provided conforms to the current design, which is for your convenience to check the color of the video. When you select the HLG mode, the color display assistance is enabled by default in the live view, and the live view effect is closer to Rec709, so there will be a saturated look and feel, please feel free to use it. At the same time, we will also feed back your current opinions to the engineers to evaluate the subsequent optimization plan, thank you for your support.

Ok thank you for your response Gamora. I'm not sure why anyone shooting in HLG, (a HDR format) would want to have a monitor LUT turned on automatically that shows them what they are NOT recording. After all, a monitor is to literally "monitor" what is actually being recorded, not what you might color- grade/change it to later on. I can't speak for all professionals but I can't imagine why we wouldn't be flying and shooting in HLG with an accurate view of what the HLG format is seeing and recording. This is particularly important in seeing what details are being recorded in shadows. The current situation makes it actually accident-prone when you are trying to record images in, say, a rainforest or through the deep shadows of a canyon. One dead stick or spider web and down comes the aircraft. It seem like the logical solution is to make the color-assist mode an "add-on" manual choice, at least in HLG and d-log, not a default setting. Wasn't that the way it used to be or is my memory wrong?
2023-8-8
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

christangey Posted at 8-8 15:53
Ok thank you for your response Gamora. I'm not sure why anyone shooting in HLG, (a HDR format) would want to have a monitor LUT turned on automatically that shows them what they are NOT recording. After all, a monitor is to literally "monitor" what is actually being recorded, not what you might color- grade/change it to later on. I can't speak for all professionals but I can't imagine why we wouldn't be flying and shooting in HLG with an accurate view of what the HLG format is seeing and recording. This is particularly important in seeing what details are being recorded in shadows. The current situation makes it actually accident-prone when you are trying to record images in, say, a rainforest or through the deep shadows of a canyon. One dead stick or spider web and down comes the aircraft. It seem like the logical solution is to make the color-assist mode an "add-on" manual choice, at least in HLG and d-log, not a default setting. Wasn't that the way it used to be or is my memory wrong?

Hi, christangey. For HLG mode, the color display assistance is always enabled by default in the live view, for d-log or dlog-M, there is an option for the users. For adding a color-assist choice for HLG, we will report the suggestion to our engineer for evaluation. Thank you for your continued support.
2023-9-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules