3331 21 2023-5-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The Mavic 3 pro has long file names and the option to have custom file names.
Sounds good ... but it isn't.
Instead of the standard DJI file name, now instead of DJI_008.jpg you get DJI_20230509135807_0008_D.JPG
So customising file names would seem to be a good option.
Except that you cannot delete anything from the over long default filename.
You can only add additional letters and numbers.
As if it wasn't already much too long.
And you can't even go back to the same old numbering system.

DJI, this is a big fail and completely useless.
Give us actual customising and 4 digit numbering.

Screenshot_20230509-201736.ajpg.jpg
2023-5-9
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Labroides. Thank you for reaching out and sharing your experience. We will submit your concern as a suggestion for evaluation. Thank you for your kind understanding and continued support.
2023-5-10
Use props
DominoBear
lvl.2
Flight distance : 109318 ft
Canada

DJI Gamora Posted at 5-10 01:59
Hi, Labroides. Thank you for reaching out and sharing your experience. We will submit your concern as a suggestion for evaluation. Thank you for your kind understanding and continued support.

Which means absolutely nothing.   DJI has never listened to users on file naming.  
2023-5-11
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow.  This is not going to be good for my workflow.  @DJI - seriously?  This is somebody misfiring in your software department.  This is not cool.
2023-5-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

TonyPHX Posted at 5-13 19:05
Wow.  This is not going to be good for my workflow.  @DJI - seriously?  This is somebody misfiring in your software department.  This is not cool.

It solves the big problem for anyone doing mapping, where you could generate more than 1000 images in a big mapping mission and now you don't end up with 2 or 3 images with the same filename.
But this isn't much help to anyone, since DJI won't release an SDK, you cannot use the Mavic 3 pro for mapping.

What's needed is a way to properly customise the filename and make something shorter and more manageable.
I'm not sure why there is no way to have continuous file numbering now.
Each new SD card starts back at 001.

2023-5-13
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Adding my dismay to this.

Whilst it's really good to avoid duplicate filenames when shooting a lot or using two DJI drones. (You can end up pasting files of the same name, but different content). I work with clients who will email me with filenames they need editing and this isn't going to help them easily tell me what files they need work on.

DJI should offer an option for the timestamp or classic naming.
2023-5-14
Use props
skyscope
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4202785 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I really appreciate the new naming scheme.
And regarding clients, batch renaming files with a sequence number is a matter of 5 Seconds, at least with a Mac.
2023-5-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

skyscope Posted at 5-14 03:13
And regarding clients, batch renaming files with a sequence number is a matter of 5 Seconds, at least with a Mac.

And what do you think of the ability to "customise" the file name, that only allows you to add even more characters to what's already too long?
2023-5-14
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

What about moving them to a folder on your computer, then renaming them?
2023-5-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Mobilehomer Posted at 5-14 16:58
What about moving them to a folder on your computer, then renaming them?

You've always been able to manually name your files anything you want.
Im' disappointed that DJI offers something they call customising file names and it only gives you the ability to make an over long file name even longer, not customise it at all.
What kind of genius does that?
It's just retarded.

They tried to fix a problem that they lumped users with for years and instead of making it better, they made it worse.

2023-5-14
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

DominoBear Posted at 5-11 04:38
Which means absolutely nothing.   DJI has never listened to users on file naming.

Hi, DominoBear. We're sorry for the inconvenience. Please note that we have forwarded the information but that doesn't mean that it is approved or will be implemented. It is still depends on the evaluation of the designated team. Thank you for your kind understanding.
2023-5-15
Use props
adamburton
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3592165 ft
United Kingdom

I've just encountered the same issue on my new Mavic 3 Pro.  The file names are way too long, and the custom file naming option is useless.  I think this hasn't been user tested!

I now need to rename files once imported into my Mac so I can get back to something simple like DJI_0001.  Unfortunately the Mac's batch renaming function doesn't allow for placeholders (e.g. *), so I can't just extract the image sequence number from the file, while leaving out all the date/time characters.  Anybody got a clean solution for this?  I know I can mirror the sequence number manually but I don't really want to do this for fear of things getting messy down the line.

2023-5-18
Use props
KenSO3
lvl.2

Hong Kong

Yes, get the M3T recently and have to face the different naming convention (comparing Mavic3, Mini3Pro)

In M3T, look like all photos were named as DJI_YYYYMMDDhhmmss_nnnn_phototype(_V/_T).jpg [hhmmss=Actual Capture Time] under the default folder DJI_YYYYMMDDhhmm_NNN [hhmm=Time of Drone Turn On???]. The name of folder might be ‘customized’ by adding suffix (key in user-defined wordings) and the images were then saved in that newly generated folder, with the re-started image number 0001.jpg

The standard 100Media/101Media…. folders are no longer used in M3E/T?
‘Camera Model’ in exif was only recorded as M3E/M3T, not the previous FCXXXX?
2023-6-19
Use props
MHM
Second Officer

United States

It took me several weeks to figure out why my iPad IOS system will not recognize file names over 8 characters.  This all started with the Mavic 3 and now the Air 3 . Now I am not able to down load my files to my IPad photos.  This is a big inconvenienced.  
2023-8-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

MHM Posted at 8-28 16:46
It took me several weeks to figure out why my iPad IOS system will not recognize file names over 8 characters.  This all started with the Mavic 3 and now the Air 3 . Now I am not able to down load my files to my IPad photos.  This is a big inconvenienced.
That explains the recent posts from people who can't find their image files to copy to iPads.

The big inconvenience is the way that Apple won't give users proper control over what they do and how they do it.
I'm always surprised at how Apple users love their inflexible systems.
2023-8-28
Use props
Nuvolari1
lvl.2
Sweden

I'm also wondering why DJI change the filename system. At least give us the option to use the traditional way.
//S
2023-9-4
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Nuvolari1 Posted at 9-4 01:01
I'm also wondering why DJI change the filename system. At least give us the option to use the traditional way.
//S

Hi there. We're sorry if this has been requested in the past but has not been implemented yet. We will continue to let such feedback reach the designated team for consideration. Your understanding is highly appreciated.
2023-9-16
Use props
fans3ddf86f3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5351696 ft
United Kingdom

skyscope Posted at 5-14 03:13

Please explain how to do this with a Mac - please ?
2023-12-8
Use props
skyscope
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4202785 ft
  • >>>
Germany

fans3ddf86f3 Posted at 12-8 00:04
Please explain how to do this with a Mac - please ?

Mark all files you want to process, right click on them, "Rename" offers a dialouge for batch renaming.

If you need far more options, get the app "A better Finder Rename"...
2023-12-16
Use props
Just Wondering
lvl.1

Ireland

This problem is not just with the Mavic 3,

I have recently bought the Action 4, pocket 3 and Mini 4 pro for work as a YouTuber and none of them allow you to import directly to photos on MacBook. Instead it shows "No Photos"
This wasn't an issue with previous models.
Now i have to open them in finder and drag them to photos, its a pain in the ass as it takes much longer.
Got on to DJI about this and they offcourse blamed apple!

It's all down to the long unrecognisable file names.

Anyone find a solution to this?
2023-12-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
New Zealand

Just Wondering Posted at 12-18 13:04
This problem is not just with the Mavic 3,

I have recently bought the Action 4, pocket 3 and Mini 4 pro for work as a YouTuber and none of them allow you to import directly to photos on MacBook. Instead it shows "No Photos"

The default file manager that Apple uses ignores the new DJI longer file names.
That's the problem.
Real operating systems let users see what they are doing and don't hide things like this.

Why is Apple such a dumb operating system ?
2023-12-18
Use props
JJ Sereday
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8506253 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Yea this is a huge pain - after years of requesting a simple file naming feature, they give us this forced option.

For those on Mac - like Skyscope mentioned, right click in finder to batch rename or for way more options and control use A Better Finder Rename. I used ABFR for all file renaming and it works wonders to save you from DJI, GoPro and basically all other camera manufactures terrible naming conventions.
2-25 15:48
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules