Osmo Action 3 longer standby periods
1765 20 2023-5-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SiRi63
lvl.1
Portugal

Hi,
Couldn't there be on Osmo action 3  settings menu, automatic shutdown, an option to never shut it down?
It would be a very interesting option for motorcycle touring. Sometimes we can ride for more than an hour without stopping, and having the camera allways ready for recording would be a most wanted option. The 30 minutes maximum standby is short.

2023-5-9
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, SiRi63. Thank you for reaching out. Auto Power Off can be set for 30s/5min/10min/30min., tap to set the time, if you do not perform any operation on the camera within the set duration, the camera will shut down automatically. We'll forward your feedback to our relevant team for evaluation. After the evaluation, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-5-9
Use props
SiRi63
lvl.1
Portugal

I know that, but 30 minutes may be a short period of time. What I was suggesting was an option to never shut down.
2023-5-9
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

This  was asked Before, only way to   go longer  will be to  interrupt the standby
2023-5-10
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

This wouldn’t make any sense. If you have the camera on for more than an hour without recording, the LCD panel would also be on sucking down power for no reason.
2023-5-10
Use props
SiRi63
lvl.1
Portugal

It makes sense since i have the lcd set to switch off after 30 seconds. This way i can have the camera in standby mode without it being draining the battery.

On long trips, sometimes you can ride for more than 30 minutes without finding something interesting to record. Never shutdown or shut down after 60 minutes would be an advantage.

As it is currently, you have to monitor time and have to record something before every 30 minutes as a way to maintain the camera in standby mode for a longer period. You don't whant that when riding a motorcycle, listening to gps instructions and talking to your friends on other motorcycles.
2023-5-10
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

The LCD only switches off at the specified time during recording. So if you are not recording and you are riding the motorcycle, it will just idle with the screen on.

BTW, you can change how soon the LCD will turn off during recording by swiping the screen from top to bottom. A small control will appear where you can adjust the LCD shut off time. You can only do this during recording. This is not in the manual.
2023-5-10
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

2023-5-10
Use props
SiRi63
lvl.1
Portugal

osmonauta Posted at 5-10 04:16
The LCD only switches off at the specified time during recording. So if you are not recording and you are riding the motorcycle, it will just idle with the screen on.

BTW, you can change how soon the LCD will turn off during recording by swiping the screen from top to bottom. A small control will appear where you can adjust the LCD shut off time. You can only do this during recording. This is not in the manual.

How unfortunate! Never noticed it and it would be a nice feature, to switch off the lcd while recording or not. Thanks for the feedback.

In that case, two very wellcome features:
1) LCD switch off in standby mode
2) 60 minutes and/or never shut down option
2023-5-10
Use props
SiRi63
lvl.1
Portugal

Fishycomics Posted at 5-10 05:19
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT_-G8bxOow

Justifying that no more than 30 minutes in standby mode is to avoid it to overheat leads to a question: knowing that a battery may last for 90 to 120 minutes, recording for that period of time woldnt overheat it too?
2023-5-10
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

If the LCD would turn off during standby, how would you be able to tell if you are recording or not? You can switch the LEDs off in the settings. I have them off so I can get as much juice out of the battery as I can. In this case you could not be able to tell if the camera is in standby or recording or it might be even off.

If the camera is off while you are riding the motorcycle all you have to do is press the shutter and it will start recording. You may lose 1 or 2 seconds until the camera turns on. If the camera were on but not in record mode, you’d still have to press the shutter to start recording. And if losing that 1 or 2 seconds until the camera starts recording is so critical, then you might just want to have it on record all the time or use loop recording. I don’t have the camera in front of me at the moment, but I believe you can set a 30 and even 60 minutes loop recording or set it to infinite. This way you won’t lose any important action.
2023-5-10
Use props
SiRi63
lvl.1
Portugal

osmonauta Posted at 5-10 07:20
If the LCD would turn off during standby, how would you be able to tell if you are recording or not? You can switch the LEDs off in the settings. I have them off so I can get as much juice out of the battery as I can. In this case you could not be able to tell if the camera is in standby or recording or it might be even off.

If the camera is off while you are riding the motorcycle all you have to do is press the shutter and it will start recording. You may lose 1 or 2 seconds until the camera turns on. If the camera were on but not in record mode, you’d still have to press the shutter to start recording. And if losing that 1 or 2 seconds until the camera starts recording is so critical, then you might just want to have it on record all the time or use loop recording. I don’t have the camera in front of me at the moment, but I believe you can set a 30 and even 60 minutes loop recording or set it to infinite. This way you won’t lose any important action.

I,m not completely sure but i think that you can know if the camera is in standby or recording mode by the led status color (green or red), and it will not be disabled unless you select it on settings.

While riding i use voice commands to start and stop recording, not buttons. With gloves on you loose sensitivity.

Of course i can allways stop, take my gloves, check if the camera is on or not, and press a button to start recording, but that's not that practical.

Thanks for your sugestions.
2023-5-10
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

SiRi63 Posted at 5-10 08:34
I,m not completely sure but i think that you can know if the camera is in standby or recording mode by the led status color (green or red), and it will not be disabled unless you select it on settings.

While riding i use voice commands to start and stop recording, not buttons. With gloves on you loose sensitivity.

But that's what I was trying to explain that I use the camera by turning the status LEDs off to save as much power as I can.

"While riding i use voice commands to start and stop recording, not buttons. With gloves on you loose sensitivity."
Oh ok. Well, yes, that's a different story. I thought you just keep pressing the shutter to start/stop recording.
2023-5-10
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

the camera has  a hybernation of  15 minutes. so really no need to have the camera be turned on and go off to standby.  DJI can offer after the first use to go in to Hybernation  of   Incriments, they simply do not understand camera talk
2023-5-10
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

SiRi63 Posted at 5-9 22:26
I know that, but 30 minutes may be a short period of time. What I was suggesting was an option to never shut down.

Thank you for your response and we're sorry for the late reply. We will take note of this specific suggestion of yours and will coordinate it with our team. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
2023-5-27
Use props
SiRi63
lvl.1
Portugal

DJI Paladin Posted at 5-27 23:46
Thank you for your response and we're sorry for the late reply. We will take note of this specific suggestion of yours and will coordinate it with our team. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

No problem. Thank you for your response.

Latest update, after a 6 day motorcycle touring with a group:

1) Voice commands don't work because of surrounding noise (wind and engine);
    the camera system is unable to identify what we are saying;

2) Voice command option on, maybe because of external noise, shuts the camera while recording;
    the solution was to set it off;

3) Having to ask the group to stop for you to press the record button to activate or stop the camera is a major problem; sometimes on narrow mountain roads you simply cannot do it when you need; other group members start becoming impatient.

In conclusion:

1)Allowing the camera to maintain itself in standby mode for longer periods than 30 minutes would be desireable, even if that consumes more battery power; the solution is simple, to have more replacement batteries;

2)Having a small waterproof remote with a start/stop record button and a status led, that would be a huge improvement for motorcycle touring; there would be no more need to stop the motorcycle to start/stop recording and the status led would allow you to know what is happening with the camera (green = standby , red = recording, no light = camera off)

Thank you in advance for your support
2023-5-28
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

SiRi63 Posted at 5-28 03:43

You can use the bluetooth remote from Action 2, think that will be best solution for you and maybe have a powerbank for enough power.
2023-5-28
Use props
SiRi63
lvl.1
Portugal

johansenfoto Posted at 5-28 05:15
You can use the bluetooth remote from Action 2, think that will be best solution for you and maybe have a powerbank for enough power.

Are you sure the Action 2 remote is compatible with the Action 3? I've heard that it's not a straightforward process and not all functions are available, although I only need start/stop operation.

The powerbank directly connected to the camera is not a desirable solution, but that's not a problem, every time the battery runs out of power I have others for replacement. Those are inside a charging unit, powered by a powerbank.
2023-5-28
Use props
4wd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SiRi63 Posted at 5-28 05:26
Are you sure the Action 2 remote is compatible with the Action 3? I've heard that it's not a straightforward process and not all functions are available, although I only need start/stop operation.

The powerbank directly connected to the camera is not a desirable solution, but that's not a problem, every time the battery runs out of power I have others for replacement. Those are inside a charging unit, powered by a powerbank.

It seems to work fully, the problem is it comes with a mini-tripod stand thing which isn't particularly useful - this makes the cost rather high for what it is. I did find one slightly used from ebay was an Ok price
2023-5-28
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

SiRi63 Posted at 5-28 05:26

Like 4wd says it do work.
And there are some thread here also that mention that it did work, atleast with start stop what you need.

2023-5-28
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

SiRi63 Posted at 5-28 03:43

Thank you for your response. You may refer to the suggestions of our fellow DJI members above about the Bluetooth remote. The DJI Action 2 Remote Control Extension Rod can be connected to Osmo Action 3 using a magnetic ball-joint adapter mount to achieve photo capturing and video recording. Due to differences in camera shooting mode between the DJI Action 2 and Osmo Action 3, some functions may not be used and result in error prompts. We recommend that you use the corresponding model accessory to obtain a better experience. Thank you for your support.
2023-5-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules