Buying used DJI -process-can I fly and use it?
1068 16 2023-5-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gittarpikk
lvl.1

United States

Looking at buying a used DJI...new to drones (have numerous HolyStones) Really old RC
'er from early 70's, have done a LOT of FPV fixed wing. Have maybe 50 planes/helis in one shape or another.
Was looking at a DJI that falls less than the 250 gram, but may go larger and just use the app when flying.
I am 3 miles from Airport but can fly to 300' and establish a flight when and as needed. Just interested in used DJI (I can find many good deals in auctions I frequent)
as I am not planning on flying under 107 nor do I wish to invest a load of money..but do like the smoothness of a gimbal cam.
Any links to pro-cons of buying a used DJI and what is involved with registering it so I can fly/use it. Newbie here on this forum.
2023-5-10
Use props
Jonatan.N
Second Officer
Flight distance : 170627 ft

Hi, here are some tips for you. https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=285736
2023-5-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can check the flight restrictions for the DJI drones on their maps here - https://www.dji.com/uk/flysafe/geo-map
2023-5-11
Use props
fans3a08eccf
lvl.1

United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-11 02:53
You can check the flight restrictions for the DJI drones on their maps here - https://www.dji.com/uk/flysafe/geo-map

Lol...nice map...more detailed than others.
I find sitting in my LR I am exactly on the edge of a more strictly controlled airspace... but since I fly in the field behind my house/shop I can fly to 300' that is good for when I run a higher density cam on an older heavier drone. . 90% of all drone vids will be done on a sub 250 drone and the rc plane subjects filmed will be 90% sub 250 class...which opens up the air around me to no- notification flight.
I used to do fpv out to 1/4 mile with a Slo Stick both day and night flights...but cant even buy one now.
Screenshot_20230511_154702_Chrome.jpg
2023-5-11
Use props
fans3a08eccf
lvl.1

United States

Jonatan.N Posted at 5-11 01:03
Hi, here are some tips for you. https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=285736

I'm still confused as in this forum ...users clearly state that one can fly and use the drone BUT not have an icon of the device under the user name account
Then this link states it cant be used.

Something doesnt jive.
I just need to know can I buy a used dji and use and fly it and record videos.
Not really interested in showing off videos but would possibly need a part or two.

I would only be interested in it being under my username/acct.

2023-5-11
Use props
fans3a08eccf
lvl.1

United States

fans3a08eccf Posted at 5-11 12:10
I'm still confused as in this forum ...users clearly state that one can fly and use the drone BUT not have an icon of the device under the user name account

Maybe I need some infi of why it not showing up as icon in the account is important.
2023-5-11
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Hope that you could get the best recommendation from our fellow co-pilots here in Forum. If you are looking for an aircraft below 250g, you may want to check the DJI Mini 3 and DJI Mini 2 aircraft. You may access the link below to compare both aircraft to choose the best drones that suit your needs. Should you have other inquiries, please don't hesitate to reach us. Have a nice day ahead!

https://www.dji.com/products/comparison-consumer-drones
2023-5-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans3a08eccf Posted at 5-11 11:55
Lol...nice map...more detailed than others.
I find sitting in my LR I am exactly on the edge of a more strictly controlled airspace... but since I fly in the field behind my house/shop I can fly to 300' that is good for when I run a higher density cam on an older heavier drone. . 90% of all drone vids will be done on a sub 250 drone and the rc plane subjects filmed will be 90% sub 250 class...which opens up the air around me to no- notification flight.
I used to do fpv out to 1/4 mile with a Slo Stick both day and night flights...but cant even buy one now.

You will have to sign off to DJI that you have permission to fly there and then they will unlock the zone for you
2023-5-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans3a08eccf Posted at 5-11 12:10
I'm still confused as in this forum ...users clearly state that one can fly and use the drone BUT not have an icon of the device under the user name account

Used drones will not give you an icon on this forum,   you have to be the first person to activate the drone to get the icon.

The blue zones can be unlocked,  you just have to sign off that you have permission to fly there and provide a mobile phone number to get a code to unlock.

When buying second hand you need to make sure that the previous owner has unbound the drone from their account,    the newer DJI drones have a lock on them very much like how Apple devices have activation lock.  This is so that fly aways cannot be used if found.
2023-5-11
Use props
fans3a08eccf
lvl.1

United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-11 22:45
Used drones will not give you an icon on this forum,   you have to be the first person to activate the drone to get the icon.

The blue zones can be unlocked,  you just have to sign off that you have permission to fly there and provide a mobile phone number to get a code to unlock.

That reply is quite informative...but there is still undefined " who gives permission".
Are we talking FAA permission? Are we referring to property owners?. If the latter, there are not only residences, county streets as well as county maintenance complex and lots of open pasture for the cattle owned by leasing farmers to the huge aluminum company complex sprawling over three different locations in the county. All of which I played on actively as a kid 60 years ago as well as flew model planes on 50 years ago to today.
It also brings the question if the drone or plane is sub 250, why would any permission be needed in the first place and if the drone is a dji of sub 250, why would they be controlling the blue area when no permission is actually needed.
LOT of grey area in this huge overreach of government ' permissions' is my finding ...but then this whole 'permission' issue did not even exist only a few short years ago.
Not looking good for any remaining rights or priveledges .
2023-5-12
Use props
fans3a08eccf
lvl.1

United States

fans3a08eccf Posted at 5-12 03:33
That reply is quite informative...but there is still undefined " who gives permission".
Are we talking FAA permission? Are we referring to property owners?. If the latter, there are not only residences, county streets as well as county maintenance complex and lots of open pasture for the cattle owned by leasing farmers to the huge aluminum company complex sprawling over three different locations in the county. All of which I played on actively as a kid 60 years ago as well as flew model planes on 50 years ago to today.
It also brings the question if the drone or plane is sub 250, why would any permission be needed in the first place and if the drone is a dji of sub 250, why would they be controlling the blue area when no permission is actually needed.

Btw.. the county mayor gave me permission to use any of their property as we grew up together in the same 'free' country and neghborhood as kids. I have had permission to use the field behind ( not in blue area) since it was sold previously owned by the county. I even mowed my own runway there for years but dont have to now as it is kept mowed to 2" weekly by the new owner which I also grew up with in same neighborhood.
....but none of that is written permission. Its just a fact of life at this point. So what is meant by ' permissions' are we talking expensive laywer- driven legal documents down at the courthouse?.. or already granted 'human' permissions?. And all to fly a sub 250 dji drone in skies I have flown over for many many years.

Do they even know what a pain in the *ss they have turned this great hobby into...or do they even care?.. pitiful... but looks to be the fact of the matter rather than an exception. Sorry for the rant but someone needs to pay attention .
2023-5-12
Use props
fans3a08eccf
lvl.1

United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-11 22:45

What year/models did they impliment this?. IOW how do I know that any dji drone I may purchase does not have the apple copied software 'bomb' that would stop its operation if used drone prospect has not previously been signef off?..was there a year they 'started' all that...ir maybe its just related to certain production models?
2023-5-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans3a08eccf Posted at 5-12 03:33
Are we talking FAA permission? Are we referring to property owners?. If the latter, there are not only residences, county streets as well as county maintenance complex and lots of open pasture for the cattle owned by leasing farmers to the huge aluminum company complex sprawling over three different locations in the county. All of which I played on actively as a kid 60 years ago as well as flew model planes on 50 years ago to today.

It would depend on the zone,  blue zones like in your screen shot you would call the local ATC tower and get permission.    You would also need the property owner permission for takeoff but then you require that regardless if you're in a zone or not.
2023-5-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans3a08eccf Posted at 5-12 03:48
Btw.. the county mayor gave me permission to use any of their property as we grew up together in the same 'free' country and neghborhood as kids. I have had permission to use the field behind ( not in blue area) since it was sold previously owned by the county. I even mowed my own runway there for years but dont have to now as it is kept mowed to 2" weekly by the new owner which I also grew up with in same neighborhood.
....but none of that is written permission. Its just a fact of life at this point. So what is meant by ' permissions' are we talking expensive laywer- driven legal documents down at the courthouse?.. or already granted 'human' permissions?. And all to fly a sub 250 dji drone in skies I have flown over for many many years.

Verbal permission is fine for land permission,  but for airspace that doesn't belong to the land owner so you seek the appropriate permission if it is controlled air space and uncontrolled space you are good to go.   You should probably look at the laanc which takes some of the hassle out - https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/laanc
2023-5-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans3a08eccf Posted at 5-12 03:56
What year/models did they impliment this?. IOW how do I know that any dji drone I may purchase does not have the apple copied software 'bomb' that would stop its operation if used drone prospect has not previously been signef off?..was there a year they 'started' all that...ir maybe its just related to certain production models?

Anything that uses the go4 app wont support the binding process,  but could still include the software bomb that forces a software update to the latest version,  although Ive never had the problem you do see people complaining about that occasionally.   

Id say anything from the Mini2 & Air 2 launch date supported the binding process.
2023-5-12
Use props
fans3a08eccf
lvl.1

United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-11 22:43
You will have to sign off to DJI that you have permission to fly there and then they will unlock the zone for you

So this 'sign off' process to dji..
Do I do this in the app...or is it some sort of physical call to dji..?
Is it an faa function . I have tha laanc app as well as one more app that shows I can fly to 300 '. That app was not clear there was one zone in the front yard and another one behind the house.
...so I dont know which zone it was in when granted.

I supposed I could go stand in the field to make sure it was reading correct zone
Only the larger older Holy Stone drones I have would need faa notification. I should be able to fly anything sub 250 in either zone
The 'elephant in the room' is why would the dji app require any sign off from faa or other for a sub 250 flight irregardless of zone.

2023-5-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans3a08eccf Posted at 5-12 10:30
So this 'sign off' process to dji..
Do I do this in the app...or is it some sort of physical call to dji..?
Is it an faa function . I have tha laanc app as well as one more app that shows I can fly to 300 '. That app was not clear there was one zone in the front yard and another one behind the house.

You can do it in the app or via the DJI website.  the website lets you do it in advance and it lasts for 3 days whereas in the app you have to be onsite and it only lasts the day.
2023-5-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules