Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A little question for my fellow flyers.  

Do you use a paper (book) flight log to record your flights,  if you do which one would you recommend and what do you like or feel is missing from the one you are using that you would like to see added/removed.  

cheers in advance.

DA.
2023-5-12
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Computerised in a csv, data taken from the csv of each log, 3800+ logs to date and I have lost a few grr mainly from the Phantoms.
Column titles :-

logname,

Drone_type_$63, drone_name_$234, drone_sn(a)_$263, drone_sn(b)_$233, drone_act_date_$235, DAT_file_nos_$210, Firmware_Ver_$240, cameraSN_a, $236, cameraSN_b, $264 (that group was/is aimed at identifying the drone since, and especially from the P3's, some data channels were/are occasionally empty),

controller_sn(a)_$237, controller_sn(b)_$265, (again the two serial numbers so that I could hopefully ID the controller used, I tend to swap controllers, more needed with the P3's )
App_Ver_$232,
battery-sn(a)_(JF)_$266, battery-sn(b)_(ID)_$238, bat_cent_cell_sn_(DP)_$120, bat_prod_dat_(DQ)_$121, charge-count_(U)_$111, (aimed at ID'ing the battery used since especially from the P3's some data channels were occasionally empty)

Flight_length_(sec)_(IS)_$253, Drone_switched_on_time_(sec)_(BH)_$60, bat_volt_start_(V)_(EJ)_$140), bat_volt_end_(V)_(EJ)_$140, bat_perc_start_$146, bat_perc_end=$146,

Latitude_(deg)_$13, Longitude_(deg)_$14, max_distance_running_(m)_$11, Distance, travelled_(m)_$10, Distance, travelled_mine_(m)_$10 (calculated from the summation instananeous speeds multiplied by last time increment) ,

max-height_(m)_$254, height_difference=landing-take_off_(m)_$15, flying_alt_(m)_$15, log_start_height_(m)_$15, ave_+ve_height_(m)_$15, ave_-ve_height_(m)_$15, lowest_point_(m)_$15,

Total_climb_flight(m)_$15, Total_climb_ALL(m)_$15 (calcultaed from summation of instantaneous climbs),

Max_pitch_forward_$20, Max_pitch_reverse_$20, Max_roll_right_$21, Max_roll_left_$21, max_speed_(m/s)_$255, max_descent_rate_(m/s)_$256, max_climb_rate_(m/s)_$19,

Gimbal_down_(BR)_$70, gimbal_down_average_$70, Gimbal_up_(BR)_$70, gimbal_up_average,  ( got curious about gimbal tilts so added these )

isPhoto=YES/TRUE_$2_$63_$64_$66, DETAILS.photoNum_(IW)_$257, video_count_$165, ( aimed at belatedly possibly working out what drone took what photos etc. )

card_size_(kb)_(FU)_$177, card_space_start_(kb)_$178, card_space_end_(kb)_$178, Card_space_used_(kb)_$178, Max_GPS_sats_$50, Av_GPS_sats_$50, Nos_of_lines_$248, flightdate_from_FILENAME, Nos_RTHs_in_flight_$23, Running_total_no_of_RTHs_$23,

set_height, limit/s_(m)_PH_CSVs_ONLY, set_go_home_height/s_(m)_$205, take_off_AMSL_(m)

$xyz & (ab) are the column number/ names in the P3 csv's they differ in other models but I find them to be a useful reference.

The program requires linux and the language Gawk or perhaps Awk, so of no use to anyone without both unless they want to rework the program. I have no doubt a pro would think the program is an absolute 'horlicks' but I am not a programmer and it works ..... for me lol

2023-5-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-12 06:43
Computerised in a csv, data taken from the csv of each log, 3800+ logs to date and I have lost a few grr mainly from the Phantoms.
Column titles :-

thanks but Im specifically looking for book recommendations,   they have the scope to record very different information.  
2023-5-12
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-12 07:33
thanks but Im specifically looking for book recommendations,   they have the scope to record very different information.

Ok but why not use an ordinary exercise book and simply create appropriate columns in it?
Aside from not having to create the columns I can't imagine how a  bought, preformatted book would be any easier to fill in than a 'self created' book.
Am I missing something?

2023-5-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-12 07:47
Ok but why not use an ordinary exercise book and simply create appropriate columns in it?
Aside from not having to create the columns I can't imagine how a  bought, preformatted book would be any easier to fill in than a 'self created' book.
Am I missing something?

People buy many things they could create for themselves of course,  but many are lazy or un Inspired.
2023-5-12
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 13349895 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm sure I'll get called lazy for this and maybe I am, but why not just let your flight logs be kept automatically? I keep AirData UAV installed on my RC Pro so every flight automatically gets synced to my account for further viewing and analysis. Everything is organized, categorized and searchable, export KMLs of your flight paths and receive notifications when a drone is due for maintenance. Nothing against pen and paper. I just like to work smarter not harder.
2023-5-12
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Johnnokomis Posted at 5-12 17:33
I'm sure I'll get called lazy for this and maybe I am, but why not just let your flight logs be kept automatically? I keep AirData UAV installed on my RC Pro so every flight automatically gets synced to my account for further viewing and analysis. Everything is organized, categorized and searchable, export KMLs of your flight paths and receive notifications when a drone is due for maintenance. Nothing against pen and paper. I just like to work smarter not harder.

What Airdata presents you with is not a log  book and is limited to what THEY want to show you.
One's own summary is more likely to suit one's wants.
Besides the number of logs on Airdata are limited unless you want to fork out money.
Do DJI publish maintenace schedules? if not, what maintenance and who created the schedules Airdata uses?
If you check Airdata's battery count it counts only the number of times Airdata thinks a battery has been charged, miss a few logs and there is a fair chance Airdata's battery count will be wrong. Compare their count with the count shown in the App.
I have also found their this-flight mileage to be wrong if the flight had poor GPS at the start.

2023-5-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Johnnokomis Posted at 5-12 17:33
I'm sure I'll get called lazy for this and maybe I am, but why not just let your flight logs be kept automatically? I keep AirData UAV installed on my RC Pro so every flight automatically gets synced to my account for further viewing and analysis. Everything is organized, categorized and searchable, export KMLs of your flight paths and receive notifications when a drone is due for maintenance. Nothing against pen and paper. I just like to work smarter not harder.

I see a log book including other information,   for example where to park,   notes about any confrontations,    weather,    obstacles to avoid,   other random information like time of tide for wreck to be uncovered,

2023-5-12
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17352513 ft
Sweden

Hi,
Here is a sample of what I have been using, which I put in to a binder. Sure, there could be more items on it. If there is something special, I write that in on the empty spaces available.

2023-5-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules