Can the Avata be made Quieter. I think the answer is YES.
2801 4 2023-5-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nitro-Tom
lvl.3
Flight distance : 403133 ft
United States

Can the Avata be made Quieter. I think the answer is YES.

open call to DJI to help quiet down the Avata. Here's how......help us (Avata Community) develop toroidal propellers.

So it's not possible for me to protoype propellers with 3D Printing - not strong enough or precise enough.

Need injection molding - maybe wood at first - but either way the example of how to do this is a blow away and being shown to us today by Zipline (Drone company).

Heres how......   (20 million views in 1 month)

Another Awesome Video from Mark Rober (The Glitter Bomb Guy) Watch this.....the best 20 minutes you will spend on drones today. I guarantee it.

And this shows you that we can have a 50LB drone without noise - that is crazy - check out the owl vs other birds - wow!

Anyway, We (The DJI Avata Community) who can't afford to prototype or dont even own a 3d printer can't dream of a fix. we need help.

In fact no one can succeed at this without DJI as I bet major dollars the flight controller and ESCs will need minor adjustments to their profile as well - and we dont get that functionality like in beta Flight with a 5" Luminer quad. and we can't just change the props with this radical of a change in all likelyhood without tuning. At least if you want best results you will need tuning. and lets face it the avata is maybe top heavy and maybe under powered (Wink Wink) to start. Not a good position.

So even if God handed me a set of new toroidal propellers like zipline is useing it would not be ideal without tuning. So DJI can do both of those - thoughts?

I think it is possible to make this drone a lot quieter - and I am still trying to figure out if someone has a pattient on this prop that zipline is using.
I reached out to them and will post updates here in this thread.

It is unknown what if any flight characteristics might be like but everything I thought I knew about propeller noise and lift generated is out the window after that video.

I know nothing........need to re-evaluate after much of that video which I know to be factual and now this seems possible. Quieting down the Avata.

Come on DJI - Crank out a tune update in a firmware patch and some new props, I will buy (2) sets day one. Even if they have less lift, just to be quietier I would do it.

Random thoughts and responses - go ahead - make my day :-)

2023-5-12
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very interesting video.  Thanks for sharing.
2023-5-13
Use props
Nitro-Tom
lvl.3
Flight distance : 403133 ft
United States

Yeah the more I look into this - you have companies like DroneUp (Walmart Funded) and Flytrex who are impressive - but are limited to testing regions.

Zipline has millions of miles and over 500K flights without one incident involving himans.
Pretty clean to me - wow. And the waiver they have from the FAA  = OMG would every single one of us recreational flyers much less 107 holders not love to have this privilege - its awesome.

From a regulatory standpoint The firm currently owns the most expansive FAA Part 135 air carrier certification of any U.S. drone firm, one that allows it to fly over people, in controlled airspace and, most importantly, beyond the operator’s visual line of sight (BVLOS) within a 26-mile round trip range.

I see why they got that. In other videos I have seen the redundancy built into a ZIP and its back end is amazing. Testing any plane to tolerate a full on rudder or aileron failure is unreal. Each plan as 2 left ailerons and so forth, brilliant design. Just fault tolerant in every area. I like that. My 30% Yak has redundant power and (4) Spektrum Radios. If I lose signal even for 2 seconds bad things happen.

The Zip can loose comms and not care - its fully autonomous with on board sensors. crazy battery life and if all else fails - it has a parachute and drops down at a very mild rate. Granted it weighs 44 pounds, but it is safe IMHO. I wish they would deliver to my house today - you have my OK to fly over :-) not that you need it with your FAA Creds.
2023-5-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Interesting video!
2023-5-16
Use props
Craig_Tas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2998255 ft
Australia

That is just a tethered pod with directional control, it isn't trying to fly hence why it's so quite.
2023-5-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules