3559 54 2015-8-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Paul Joy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3754318 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've noticed that since the most recent firmware update my Inspire seems to have lost some of it's ability to hold position in windy conditions. I've flown before in wind speeds of 20 Knots and have been amazed by the aircrafts ability to maintain it's location through gusts. Recently however even in wind speeds of 10 Knots if I switch to P-GPS the Inspire will sometimes slowly drift downwind. It is pitching in to wind but doesn't seem to be using enough power to hold position.

Anybody else seeing this?
2015-8-25
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Paul,

This has I believe been reported and noticed by others.  See post on drifting also.  Hopefully DJI will address this in the next update.
2015-8-25
Use props
Paul Joy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GB44 Posted at 2015-8-25 22:17
Paul,

This has I believe been reported and noticed by others.  See post on drifting also.  Hopefull ...

Okay I'll check that out, thanks. I do think there's something a little odd going on as after the Inspire has drifted downwind if I input a small amount of opposite stick it will actually fly back to the position it should have been holding. Be good to see that fixed.
2015-8-25
Use props
houston
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21241217 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is DEFINITELY the case. It was MUCH more stable in the previous firmware. I am tempted to go back to the older version.
2015-8-26
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Some possibly related reports of vertical drift downwards as well following the update - hard to say without a direct comparison, but I seem to be correcting position vertically and horizontally more than I had to under the previous version.

This update re-wrote code across the whole craft, including FC and ESCs, so some change to flight behaviours are quite possible.
2015-8-26
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

Paul Joy Posted at 2015-8-25 22:24
Okay I'll check that out, thanks. I do think there's something a little odd going on as after the  ...

If you haven't done it you may want to try to calibrate the remote sticks,  May not do any good but worth a try, after the latest upgrade I had to send my Inspire in, it showed an esc error and the motors would not start.

I sent it in a week ago tomorrow, they received this last Monday. I got a note that it had been placed in que Monday night.  I received a note Tuesday that it had been fixed, an esc replaced had been test flown and was ready to ship back.  On Wednesday (today) I received a tracking number I think I will receive on Friday, exactly one week and one day after I sent it in.

That is incredibly fast service.  The factory said it was fully updated and fully operational,  I will be looking for the drift or any other problems, it flew absolutely perfect before the upgrade.
2015-8-26
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

houston Posted at 2015-8-27 07:07
This is DEFINITELY the case. It was MUCH more stable in the previous firmware. I am tempted to go ba ...

I  have been reading about reduced battery life after upgrade have you noticed anything like that also.
2015-8-26
Use props
houston
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-8-27 10:05
I  have been reading about reduced battery life after upgrade have you noticed anything like that  ...

I have not noticed that at all. But then again, I fly for a specific shot and really do not pay attention to time aloft, just how much time is left before I hit 30%.
2015-8-30
Use props
houston
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-8-29 01:31
The latest version of the firmware has utterly ruined the handling of the Inspire.
It is far less st ...

Quality control is definitely lacking. There is no doubt.
2015-8-30
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

houston Posted at 2015-8-31 11:17
Quality control is definitely lacking. There is no doubt.

I have not noticed the battery issue either,  I get more distance and less signal loss with the latest upgrade, I somewhat like the upgrade, My phantom 3 handles better, the vps is still basically screwed. But my Inspire does not handle as good, It is jumpy on the controls, not as smooth as before, jerky response.  It seems to me that since the p3 has come out the Inspire has suffered, It appears to me that dji is catering the apps and firmware to the p3, with Inspire performance being placed second on the priorities.
2015-8-31
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Australia

Dji have sold very few Inspires in comparison to the Phantom. They will always concentrate on the P3 first and foremost because that is where the money is.
There just isn't enough of a market for the inspire to be anything DJI would consider anywhere near a priority. That is why we get the awful DJI GO app.

2015-8-31
Use props
kvamens
lvl.3

Norway

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-8-28 19:31
The latest version of the firmware has utterly ruined the handling of the Inspire.
It is far less st ...

Yes it does now. (Fw 1.30
2015-8-31
Use props
kvamens
lvl.3

Norway

It is far less st ...

Agree, it drift now, didn' before.
2015-8-31
Use props
kvamens
lvl.3

Norway

It is far less st ...

Agree, it drift now, did' t before.  (Fw 1.3.0.00)
2015-8-31
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
United States

kvamens Posted at 2015-8-31 16:26
Agree, it drift now, did' t before.  (Fw 1.3.0.00)

i have decided to STOP all upgrading and am flying with app 1,02 with all the freq channels. I am happy with my Inspire firmware why muck around and upgrade i stopped at the previous firmware .  

I fly both P3 and the I-1 with the same controller app and ipad air 2
2015-8-31
Use props
nofearmx
lvl.3

United States

I have to say went and flew my I1 and a friend had his, I was running the 1.3 he hasn't updated and they were reacting like crazy... we were trying to take a pic of both of them together and mine would be going up and down like crazy... his was stable... I want to downgrade but don't know if i should... when you down grade do you have to do it to the remote and batteries?
2015-8-31
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

nofearmx@gmail. Posted at 2015-9-1 05:17
I have to say went and flew my I1 and a friend had his, I was running the 1.3 he hasn't updated and  ...

Flew mine in the wind this morning it is horrible, I was scared it was going to flip over it was way more stable before, the update really second rate flight characteristics  now .
2015-8-31
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Australia

Surely this would have been picked up in the beta testing?
What's the word on this - did no-one find an issue with the beta build or did they report flight issues and DJI released it anyway?

Ed, Autumn, Blade et al, I think we need an answer on this one!
2015-8-31
Use props
nofearmx
lvl.3

United States

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-8-31 17:14
Flew mine in the wind this morning it is horrible, I was scared it was going to flip over it was w ...

have you tried to back it up one FW? was the last one better? Recall you writing in one post that you grounded your bird till the next update, were you talking about the 1.2.6?
2015-8-31
Use props
Paul Joy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I did some aerial photo's this morning in 10 Knot winds and literally could not take my eyes off the Inspire because it was drifting so much and I didn't want it to fly over land where there were members of the public. Engaging P-GPS used to be like parking the Inspire, not any more!

I initiated a support chat with DJI and was told to do an IMU and Compass calibration. I said both were looking fine in the sensor values and was told that the app doesn't show everything. The support person also said to make sure the IMU is calibrated away form magnetic and electrical interference which is new to me, I though it was only the compass that was sensitive to those. I'll try a new IMU calibration outside next chance I get but I'm not feeling confident that will correct the issue.
2015-9-1
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Paul Joy Posted at 2015-9-1 20:17
I did some aerial photo's this morning in 10 Knot winds and literally could not take my eyes off the ...

Recalibrate your compass. It helped me.
2015-9-1
Use props
Ph02on
lvl.3
Flight distance : 75673 ft
United Kingdom

Mine was drifting badly with the new FW 1.3.  I downgraded to 1.2.06 and the inspire is once again steady as a rock.  I would recommend this course of action if you are suffering from bad drift until a future FW update addresses this issue.

Jason
2015-9-1
Use props
btamkins
lvl.3
Flight distance : 269291 ft
United States

Does 1.2.06 work with the DJI GO software, or do you also need to roll back to DJI Pilot?
2015-9-1
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

nofearmx@gmail. Posted at 2015-8-31 18:59
have you tried to back it up one FW? was the last one better? Recall you writing in one post that  ...

I havent rolled back the Inspire yet I was talking about my phantom 3 pro, grounded ,when I was waiting for new firmware,  I got rid of the pro I also have a p3 adv.  it liked the new firmware flies better, better video connect Same with Inspire on video connect but it flies terrible compared to what it did, again it is more noticeable in a bit of wind. When I upgraded inspire got esc error I had to send it in, came back from factory updated tested and approved with the seemingly degraded flight characteristics, as usual waiting for another upgrade.
2015-9-1
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

Ph02on Posted at 2015-9-1 09:55
Mine was drifting badly with the new FW 1.3.  I downgraded to 1.2.06 and the inspire is once again s ...

Do you get the constant nag to update when you roll back and can you use the new app
2015-9-1
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

Farnk666 Posted at 2015-8-31 18:59
Surely this would have been picked up in the beta testing?
What's the word on this - did no-one find ...

I agree we could use an answer on this, I suppose that it only affects a few.  And I of course as always is one of them. $*&%*
2015-9-1
Use props
nofearmx
lvl.3

United States

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-9-1 16:56
I havent rolled back the Inspire yet I was talking about my phantom 3 pro, grounded ,when I was wa ...

Ok sorry for the confusion... I also have the P3 and right now it does seem it flies better...
-So did the roll back on the inspire seems to be working well... very windy today so still had a little trouble:
tried to orbit, one area had a dip and the inspire would loose altitude with no input
-doesn't jump up and down that much anymore
-the auto pilot on auto landing is way out of control-seems a little smoother than with the 1.3... but like i said we have been getting a lot of wind so i am hoping it does better on none windy days.
- the only nag is on the start up a red flag asking to upgrade but nothing else while flying

on another note did test the new ND 16 filter from DJI (happy it came in before i left) and on a sunny nevada desert day brought my shutter down to 1/50 for the most part so that was good news :-)
2015-9-1
Use props
Ph02on
lvl.3
Flight distance : 75673 ft
United Kingdom

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-9-2 00:59
Do you get the constant nag to update when you roll back and can you use the new app

Yes, it nags you to update the aircraft, but I can put up with that anyday in return for stable and controllable flight characteristics.

As for the DJI GO app?  I have no idea, as I never upgraded from PILOT!

Jason
2015-9-2
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

I flew my Inspire on firmware 1.3 a few days ago on a night flight. I did not notice any drifting. It was a very calm night with no wind and it was very dark. Also I was flying the entire time, not just letting it sit in GPS hold. I will have to fly it again to test.
However I can say that the beta team did not say anything about this drifting issue. I will look into it more.

Dave
2015-9-3
Use props
nofearmx
lvl.3

United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-9-3 16:28
I flew my Inspire on firmware 1.3 a few days ago on a night flight. I did not notice any drifting. I ...

Thanks dave as always you come to the rescue... there is a little bit of an issue if i compare the fight stability of both birds... I do realize that if you look at the specs of both as advertised the holding isn't the same, even on paper the I1 seems less "stable" than the P3P... but like i said when i did go fly with my friend who hasn't updated anything since he got his in may, mine would go up and down and his wouldn't...
2015-9-3
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

Thanks.
This thread has me concerned, a lot of reputable guys in here with the same problem.
2015-9-3
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-9-3 20:28
Thanks.
This thread has me concerned, a lot of reputable guys in here with the same problem.

Hi Dave
My I1 is noticeably different now when you apply controls and let off the control very easy the bird reacts very abrupt and hard, sometimes jumps altitude, very noticeable,  I am almost afraid of it flipping, if going into the wind , it reacts so strong in the wind, , When watching the gimbal it seems that it is fighting itself (the birds motors) and jiggling the gimbal hard.  It even has a bit of a different sound a staccato sound in the motors.  There really is a big difference in the birds behavior, stability and flight characteristics when applying multiple controls, or going from one control to another, very abrupt and jerky.  On the other hand the flight characteristics of my P3A seems to be greatly improved, in all of the same areas that degraded on the I1.  Knocking on wood, I dont see how my p3a could possibly fly any better now, It is perfect, (except the vps is not good) but it really flies better on the upgrade, and now flies (much) better than my I1.  There is some adjustments in the aircraft section on the app for the braking and positioning any thoughts?

2015-9-3
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-9-3 20:21
Hi Dave
Mine I1 is noticeably different now when you apply controls and let off the control very  ...

Have you tried to adjust your Expo and Breaking?
I use...
Expo .30 straight across and 70% on braking. These settings will tame it down and better for AP work.

I have heard of some guys that already had these setting done in the app, but after firmware update they were put back to default. So they needed to redo them. Normally the firmware update should not reset these settings.
2015-9-3
Use props
Paul Joy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Having done another IMU calibration on my Inspire us well as an RC calibration I headed out in 14 Knot winds today for another test. Initially thought things looked better as the Inspire was holding position but where it seems to run in to trouble is when it's side on to the wind. Nose in it does a pretty good job but it feels as though it can't put as much pitch in sideways to compensate for the increased wind resistance. In the 14 Knot (16 mph) winds the Inspire was travelling downwind at 4 mph when sideways on and would have continued  travelling if I hadn't taken control.

Just for comparison sake I also flew my P3 and whilst it's a little more twitchy it easily outperformed the Inspire in respect to holding position in the wind and was totally locked in the whole time.
IOC mode is still totally screwed up on my Inspire as well and has been since I installed the latest firmware. When reseting IOC with the inspire facing forward in front of me, instead of the aircraft flying directly away from me and then returning it travels off at an angle in each direction resulting in the Inspire zig zagging down the flying field.

Hopefully these will be adressed in the next firmware.

2015-9-5
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-9-3 22:53
Have you tried to adjust your Expo and Breaking?
I use...
Expo .30 straight across and 70% on bra ...

Thanks Dave
That made things much better,  It does not gain or lose altitude abruptly when stopping,  It is still not as locked and stable as before I noticed also extreme drift in atti mode much more than before, wants to move sideways,fairly hard, (one direction) regardless of wind,  I noticed something similar as Paul Joy reported in IOc mode also.  

When I do A rotational POI slide around an object I usually do a counter clockwise rotation, pulling the sticks apart.  I now have a very irradic motor fluctuation depending on position of sticks  a very steady, rhythmic  revving and shutting back of the motors, one other person described it as sounding as though the motors are fighting each other, it is as though the stick input is being translated to an abrupt corrective pulse of the motor (s) involved instead of a calibrated smooth response to the stick input. An over correction seemingly  This really shows when doing a POI slide around an object.

I am afraid that my p3 is still showing better flight characteristics than my I1, would appreciate to know if DJI has duplicated or is acknowledging the situation as a problem, as you know I sent my I1 in because of esc error at upgrade,  They test flew this unit , and it surely was seen as normal with respect to the upgrade and other I1's.  Try A POI with the front of craft facing the POI and slide around the object see if you get the pulsing, it depends on stick input position combination.  

Electronically it seems like a gain issue in the relative channels I see there are advanced gain settings for the channels similar to the braking gain adjusts, I do not want to mess with them but it does seem to be a gain issue. I noticed other threads also commenting on the issue.  Thanks Dave   Joe
2015-9-6
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

New firmware for the Inspire1 will be available in a few hours. I believe it will help.
2015-9-6
Use props
mabnz2
lvl.1

New Zealand

I'm still seeing the vertical drift issue with my i1Pro (sometimes 1m at a time which is scary when you're close to the ground) in firmware v.1.5.0.30.

Is anyone else seeing the same thing?
2016-2-6
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-8-28 09:31
It is far less st ...

Paul

I thought you were running the old firmware and did not update yours?

Rich
2016-2-6
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-6 21:35
It was the latest firmware when I made that post in August.

Wilbur was purchased as a 1.2 and soon ...

Paul

I saw this was a old post... after commenting. I have the inspire up to date with the latest firmware manly because I was beta testing the AutoFlight logic App.  So for me it is too late to go back and will just wait for the new firmware fix.
I have been flying my P3P and it is a blast to fly. I got 20 min flight with the stock battery.. I have never gotten more than 14 min with the TB47 on my inspire but keep in mind I do not fly much below the 30% mark.

The Inspire is my favorite and would rather fly it for my important stuff...

Rich
2016-2-6
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-6 22:18
Don't hold your breath. They broke it in August and are still acting as if they are unaware of the  ...

I think the pressure is on DJI to update the X5 and S1 pro firmware for the SDK.... so we should all see something soon. Autoflight issued a warning last week and I am not using the App until the new SDK firmware has been released running beta version 3.2.

I can get better times, but do not like the fact the battery can drop out without warning, so I play it safe for now. I am at 1330 AGL and usually do not fly over 200 feet. best flight times are in the summer when it is warmer.

Rich

I don't think you can roll back to 1.2 and this is documented by DJI. Maybe someone figured out a way to do it?
2016-2-7
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules