Are Mini 3 batteries a fire hazard?
1280 8 2023-5-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FELIPE1969
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1667 ft
Bulgaria

I have a DJI Mini 3 Fly More Combo and I keep everything in the bag and it's in a cupboard at home. Are batteries a fire hazard? After a flight, I charge them to 100% and put them in the closet.
2023-5-13
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

They shouldnt be, but thats not to say they deffo aren't, there is always a risk, ive not had an issue with any DJI battery pre-knocked, be it swelling or the like. If you crash, then the risk does increase especially if the battery pins look damaged as they can arc and they may cause a fire. The latter happened after I dropped a P4P battery, no fire but it caused acting and melted the plastic around the pins.

Edited to include my P4P battery that was damaged although it looked fine externally
2023-5-13
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. You may refer to the Battery Safety Notice under Safety Guidelines for the DJI Mini 3 battery on our website. Click the link below to access the Safety guidelines.  Also, the DJI Mini 3 does support Auto-Discharging Function the battery automatically discharges to approximately 96% of the battery level when it is idle for one day, and approximately 60% when idle for nine days to prevent swelling. It is normal to feel moderate heat from the battery while it is discharging. Should you have other inquiries, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... es_RC-N1_5langs.pdf
2023-5-13
Use props
Burt37
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

"I have a DJI Mini 3 Fly More Combo and I keep everything in the bag and it's in a cupboard at home. Are batteries a fire hazard? After a flight, I charge them to 100% and put them in the closet."

All LIPO batteries can be a fire hazard, but normally they do tell the tale before they go... Lipo fire is not big but very hot and intense... For peace of mind you could do two things:

1) fully charge the battery only before you are about to use them... (like the day before you are about to go out and fly) When in storage 50% would be better for the batteries life

2) When in storage, keep the batteries in fireproof Lipo bags so that even if they go, they won't burn the house down... I keep mine in an army cartridge metal case...

Heat it is also an enemy of batteries, so keep them in a cool place and you will get plenty of use..
2023-5-13
Use props
djiuser_HYIaLJo4p07j
New

United States

My battery caught fire the other day. Less than a year old. Installed it in drone went to power on and drone wouldn’t power, it then got super hot to the touch. Luckily it didn’t progress as I was able to remove it. DJI has yet to do anything about it.
2023-11-19
Use props
Burt37
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

djiuser_HYIaLJo4p07j Posted at 11-19 15:17
My battery caught fire the other day. Less than a year old. Installed it in drone went to power on and drone wouldn’t power, it then got super hot to the touch. Luckily it didn’t progress as I was able to remove it. DJI has yet to do anything about it.

The age of the battery has nothing to do with the state of the battery...

It is your responsibility to make sure that, the lipo batteries are care for properly...

They don't catch fire, unless we are doing something wrong...
2023-11-19
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

My battery caught fire the other day. Less than a year old. Installed it in drone went to power on and drone wouldn’t power, it then got super hot to the touch. Luckily it didn’t progress as I was able to remove it. DJI has yet to do anything about it.

Sorry about the trouble. This may happen when the battery is exposed in the rain or near a source of moisture.  If the inside of the battery comes into contact with water, corrosion may occur, potentially resulting in the battery catching on fire, and may even lead to an explosion. Also, the battery should be used in temperatures within -10℃ to 40℃. Disassembling or piercing it in any way may also make the battery leak, catch fire, or explode. Have a nice day.
2023-11-19
Use props
Sam654
lvl.3
Flight distance : 132667 ft

United Kingdom

Which battery was this?
2023-11-20
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Moisture, direct peircing damage, broken plastic surrounding the contacts are some instances of possible ignition.

But these batteries can be quite resilient, I watched a video the other day on FB, its a guy then does tests using a very powerful press and squashes many things.
One of the items was a Mavic (not sure which model) battery and I think he'd set it to include nails or sommat like nails to pierce the battery as its being squashed, nothing happened, it was such an anti-climax lol

found it...

Go to 2:38 for the DJI battery

2023-11-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules