Mini2 soars out of control to 491m then spins back to ground
876 15 2023-5-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
melbflyer
lvl.1
Australia

Hi folks,
Flying in perfect conditions yesterday when suddenly my Mini 2 started climbing rapidly out of control. No response to any controls. Tried to RTH - no response. Eventually reached 491m then started spinning rapidly down to earth in about 10secs. Smashed into ground, unable to retrieve yet as in someone's garden. Thank goodness didn't hit anyone. Quite a scary experience. Never had any issues previously in many hours of use over 18months.
I have uploaded flightlog here in case any of you clever folk can figure it out

https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/4DEYCI4HB0PLB8O7WXDZ/

Thanks

2023-5-14
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Keep an eye of these threads
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D915%26typeid%3D915
https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... 37610/#post-1551735

What controller do you use?

2023-5-14
Use props
Paul_in_NI
lvl.2
Flight distance : 106545 ft
United Kingdom

I have had a very similar issue.  What were you doing as it occurred?
2023-5-14
Use props
melbflyer
lvl.1
Australia

Paul_in_NI Posted at 5-14 15:52
I have had a very similar issue.  What were you doing as it occurred?

Hi Paul,
Just tracking slowly near a park to get some establishing shots for kids football match. We usually have some nice drone views for start of video. Slow speed, around 30-40m altitude. Zero wind. Log shows some "max power load" warnings for a few seconds before it started to climb.

Declan
2023-5-14
Use props
Paul_in_NI
lvl.2
Flight distance : 106545 ft
United Kingdom

melbflyer Posted at 5-14 15:55
Hi Paul,
Just tracking slowly near a park to get some establishing shots for kids football match. We usually have some nice drone views for start of video. Slow speed, around 30-40m altitude. Zero wind. Log shows some "max power load" warnings for a few seconds before it started to climb.

Hi Declan,
My Mini 2 Pro decided to shoot vertically to 78m from 6m.  I had just put throttle forward in S Mode. My replay shows a ‘Battery Overcurrent’ warning as it occurs but I don’t know if that is due to the 4 rotors going at full speed.  
I will see what DJI says tomorrow!  

Paul.  

2023-5-14
Use props
melbflyer
lvl.1
Australia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-14 15:48
Keep an eye of these threads
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D915%26typeid%3D915
https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... 37610/#post-1551735

Thanks Sean great threads I will read through and follow
I use the RC-N1 controller and the DJI Fly app. I only ever use the Cine mode
2023-5-14
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're deeply sorry to know the incident happened to your unit. Once you manage to retrieve the unit, I'm afraid that you may consider sending the unit in for a proper diagnosis. You can contact our support team to start up a ticket at https://www.dji.com/support . Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-5-14
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you have not synced your logs with DJI it might be an idea to check the MCDATF....... folder and if it contains DATs copy all of them to computer. For the Mini 2 they are not readable but it would be a good idea  to have copies available just incase DJI want them.
2023-5-14
Use props
melbflyer
lvl.1
Australia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-14 21:27
If you have not synced your logs with DJI it might be an idea to check the MCDATF....... folder and if it contains DATs copy all of them to computer. For the Mini 2 they are not readable but it would be a good idea  to have copies available just incase DJI want them.

Thanks Sean. I have no idea what any of that means but I will follow your directions precisely!!
2023-5-14
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

melbflyer Posted at 5-14 22:21
Thanks Sean. I have no idea what any of that means but I will follow your directions precisely!!

These drone records, on the phone or screen device, several type of logs. The one people usually use is the .txt flight log, these have names such as "DJIFlightRecord_2023-05-13_[19-56-54].txt".
They record things like speeds, distance, height, joy stick commands, drone pitch and roll etc..
A second type of log that is sometimes used is a .DAT  log, these contain more technical data about the drone and have names such as 2023-05-10_19-19-08_FLY001.DAT
Motor rpm's are recorded in the .DAT.
In earlier drones the .DAT on the phone/screen-device could be read with various programs but with the Mini 2 DJI and a few other FLY App using drones DJI decides to encrypt the .DAT and only DJI can read them.
The DAT from the Mini 3 Pro is not encrypted so they might have decided to stop doing this.
However even if the .DAT is encrypted it is useful to have them backed up somewhere just incase you get into a discussion with DJI and they ask for a DAT.
Syncing is a process (voluntary) that uploads copies of at least the .txt flight log to DJI but it seems to also delete the DAT.
2023-5-15
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

HI,

Looks like more DJI drones has IMU errors.
Typical log for this,  Vertical speed DOWN but craft does climb.

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
2023-5-15
Use props
melbflyer
lvl.1
Australia

JJB* Posted at 5-15 05:53
HI,

Looks like more DJI drones has IMU errors.

Thanks for putting that chart together JJB!
I am just a hobbyist and like capturing footage for soccer videos for my kid. We use this stuff for the intro as the title and team sheet goes up. It really worries me that this drone went rogue like this when just flying slowly in perfect flying conditions. It could have careered into someone's head after spinning from 500m height and nothing I could do about it.
Should I be reporting this to the civil aviation authority or similar here in Australia? Maybe there should be a recall on drones like this.
2023-5-15
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

melbflyer Posted at 5-15 19:24
Thanks for putting that chart together JJB!
I am just a hobbyist and like capturing footage for soccer videos for my kid. We use this stuff for the intro as the title and team sheet goes up. It really worries me that this drone went rogue like this when just flying slowly in perfect flying conditions. It could have careered into someone's head after spinning from 500m height and nothing I could do about it.
Should I be reporting this to the civil aviation authority or similar here in Australia? Maybe there should be a recall on drones like this.

Hi,

I have little knowledge about the australian law ect, so no idea what to do best.

If you still have warranty on your drone, claim this issue with DJI

cheers
JJB

2023-5-15
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hmmm with flights like this in minds I asked DJI a question about using the CSC to prevent the climb to 'unsafe heights, the answer appears rather worrying, see
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=290600
Title =  "Qu for DJI, unwanted extreme climbs & "Anytime" CSC ? "
In the Mini 3 pro forum.
2023-5-22
Use props
Shawgod
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5173104 ft
United States

Kind of sounds like you had interference in the signal from the controller.  This happened to a friend of mine.  I can't remember how he came to this conclusion but something gave his drone some rogue commands and the drone went crazy.  That is possible in this case.
2023-5-22
Use props
Drone Buddy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 280860 ft
United Kingdom

I watched the video. Wow! That drone has a mind of its own! Something is wrong with the drone. I flew just a couple of times in Sports mode which makes me think that I should try more, although mine is M3P. Sorry about the issues you are having. It's not pleasant to see the drone flying out of control
2023-5-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules