Need buying tips for DJI mini SE..refurb? used?
881 10 2023-5-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans3a08eccf
lvl.1

United States

Ok, I have maybe a half dozen HolyStones and like them ....but..

Having viewed the review on Amazon and reading the specs.
here is what I decided I need in a drone.

1080P, Mandatory
gimbal -although I >thought< I could probably get by without a gimbal when I saw how well the SE handles wind (level 5) its hands-down, gotta have a gimbal
Longer flight times are much desired.31 mins is nice.
RTH mandatory
sub 250 IMO mandatory (after flying my planes since the 60's without FAA intervention) It p*sses me off to have to notify anyone I will be flying. Yes, I have been AMA since 72 and feel flying safely is all I should need....but sadly to continue my flights of freedom, I guess I will need to do it sub 250... but that's OK. I am a member of 2 clubs and will fly the larger stuff there.
Cheap enough.. I could just sell the HolyStones and if I bought a refurb Mini SE, I would have to cough up very little difference...so

I was not aware DJI had refurbs. I could buy an SE local for a tad less than that but feel its probably better to go with a refurb as I think there is a small warranty at least. I may need it serviced someday as well, so Refurb makes the most sense.

So is there anything else I might need to know? concerning icons showing up in the forum etc, and registering, flying, and using it if I bought a refurb or a locally used one as long as the previous owner clears his account?.

It does seem that the mini SE has all the bells and whistles I need for what I will be using it for.
I noticed it also has up to a 4 KM range. Is this to the phone with a phone app? I was an avid FPV flyer (analog and fixed wing) and have lots of aerial cam/transmitter equipment including HMD and Fat Sharks. I messed with Head tracking as well. I actually never went out any farther than 1/2 mile as I simply saw no need to...so the 4KM range is plenty for me....but I have a question. I have to use a strong diopter (like 3.25 reading glasses) in my Fat Sharks to focus on the screen. I really like flying FPV and not using a phone and app. Is there any way I can fly the Mini SE in an FPV-type HMD arrangement for the immersion perks?...and with either a fresnel lens or diopter correction so I can focus on it?

2023-5-14
Use props
Jonatan.N
Second Officer
Flight distance : 170627 ft

You can see if this post can help you. https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=285736a
2023-5-14
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, fans3a08eccf. Thank you for reaching out. The Mini SE is not compatible to any DJI Goggles thus FPV setup is not possible. If you will need a Mini drone that can be used with an FPV setup, please check Mini 3 Pro. Both eyeglass frames of the goggles that are compatible with Mini 3 Pro are replaceable. If the goggles’ diopter is unsuitable, you can purchase additional corrective lenses from an optical shop. Then, install the lenses to the eyeglass frames for usage. If you are still looking for what model to buy, you might find our comparison website helpful, here is the link: (https://www.dji.com/products/comparison-consumer-drones). We are not sure about the warranty from other stores for their refurbished units. In DJI Online Store, the after-sales service policy for DJI refurbished products is identical to that of new products. However, refurbished products can only be exchanged for refurbished products, not new products. You will also get 1% of your order back in DJI Credit and a 14-Day Return & Refund Service. Each DJI Certified Refurbished Product:
• Undergoes full functionality testing, where any defective modules are replaced;
• Is put through a thorough cleaning and inspection process;
• Is repackaged (including appropriate manuals, parts) and new boxes;
• Is placed into a Final Quality Assurance inspection before being offered for sale;
• Undergo the same basic testing procedures and are assessed with the same technical guidelines as new DJI products;
• May have slight signs of wear, such as minor scratches. Returns due to aesthetic conditions that do not affect product performance are not accepted.

If the refurbished unit has been activated by the previous owner, you will not able to see the icon in your Forum Profile anymore. Make sure that the account of previous owner has been unbound as well. For registration and flying rules, please contact your local aviation authorities as it differs to every location.
2023-5-15
Use props
fans3a08eccf
lvl.1

United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 5-15 21:02
Hi, fans3a08eccf. Thank you for reaching out. The Mini SE is not compatible to any DJI Goggles thus FPV setup is not possible. If you will need a Mini drone that can be used with an FPV setup, please check Mini 3 Pro. Both eyeglass frames of the goggles that are compatible with Mini 3 Pro are replaceable. If the goggles’ diopter is unsuitable, you can purchase additional corrective lenses from an optical shop. Then, install the lenses to the eyeglass frames for usage. If you are still looking for what model to buy, you might find our comparison website helpful, here is the link: (https://www.dji.com/products/comparison-consumer-drones). We are not sure about the warranty from other stores for their refurbished units. In DJI Online Store, the after-sales service policy for DJI refurbished products is identical to that of new products. However, refurbished products can only be exchanged for refurbished products, not new products. You will also get 1% of your order back in DJI Credit and a 14-Day Return & Refund Service. Each DJI Certified Refurbished Product:
• Undergoes full functionality testing, where any defective modules are replaced;
• Is put through a thorough cleaning and inspection process;

If a refurb is bought from dji, does the icon show up?.. (not sure of why I even need it to ...but conversations seem to consider it important for some reason)
If refurb bought from dji, will I have any problems or complications other than possible scuffs/scratches etc?
If refurb bought from dji, everything is supposed to work like a new one?
What about battery/s..at new specs or new?
2023-5-16
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

fans3a08eccf Posted at 5-16 03:23
If a refurb is bought from dji, does the icon show up?.. (not sure of why I even need it to ...but conversations seem to consider it important for some reason)
If refurb bought from dji, will I have any problems or complications other than possible scuffs/scratches etc?
If refurb bought from dji, everything is supposed to work like a new one?

Hi, fans3a08eccf. If the product has been activated by the previous owner, the icon will not show up on your profile anymore as only the activation email will have this icon. If you would want to have an icon, we suggest getting a brand new one so that you can activate it using your DJI account. As mentioned above, refurbished units are placed into a Final Quality Assurance inspection before being offered for sale and undergo the same basic testing procedures, and are assessed with the same technical guidelines as new DJI products, but in case there's an issue with the one that you received, you may use the 14-Day Return & Refund Service. Regretfully, we cannot guarantee that the accessories will be new ones.
2023-5-18
Use props
fans3a08eccf
lvl.1

United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 5-18 00:02
Hi, fans3a08eccf. If the product has been activated by the previous owner, the icon will not show up on your profile anymore as only the activation email will have this icon. If you would want to have an icon, we suggest getting a brand new one so that you can activate it using your DJI account. As mentioned above, refurbished units are placed into a Final Quality Assurance inspection before being offered for sale and undergo the same basic testing procedures, and are assessed with the same technical guidelines as new DJI products, but in case there's an issue with the one that you received, you may use the 14-Day Return & Refund Service. Regretfully, we cannot guarantee that the accessories will be new ones.

First....I appreciate the replies and help I receive...even if I fail to acknowledge it..
Ok.. let's say I have bought a used mini Se elsewhere...and nothing was done to clear any account of the activation...and of course the icon will never show up for me.

Will this in any way affect the operation, use of any app/software or affect my being able to purchase parts etc or send drone in for repair if needed in the future.

There are many ways to buy used items out there and about as many ways to get ripped off via parts wear or simply broken....but there are some great deals if one knows how to pick them.
What I dont want is to buy one and be 'boxed in' to a situation I could not fly, use or fix what I bought.

Also could a used drone be sent in for repair/refurbishment if the repair were to be more detailed than I want to tackle myself.

I used to repair lots of car audio and can fix a lot of things ...but some are best left alone.
2023-5-18
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If by ''elsewhere'' you mean second-hand stuff then, with newish model second-hand drones the thing you need to be careful of is. Whether or not, IN COMBINATION,
a) the drone is bound to the 'original' owners DJI account AND
b) the controller is bound to the drone.
Those bindings can, if left in place, render the equipment unusable to second owners who log the App into their own account. Only an App logged into the binding account can undo those bindings.

Google " bound drone " and you should find numerous references.
2023-5-18
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

fans3a08eccf Posted at 5-18 03:55
First....I appreciate the replies and help I receive...even if I fail to acknowledge it..
Ok.. let's say I have bought a used mini Se elsewhere...and nothing was done to clear any account of the activation...and of course the icon will never show up for me.

Hi, fans3a08eccf. The icon does not affect anything in terms of operation. You can still operate the drone even if you were not the one who activated it. One thing you should check is if it is bound to another account as unbinding needs to be done only by the previous owner. Used drones can be sent for repair as long as the service is not suspended. For reference, you may check this link: (https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D612%26typeid%3D612).
2023-5-19
Use props
fans3a08eccf
lvl.1

United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 5-19 07:37
Hi, fans3a08eccf. The icon does not affect anything in terms of operation. You can still operate the drone even if you were not the one who activated it. One thing you should check is if it is bound to another account as unbinding needs to be done only by the previous owner. Used drones can be sent for repair as long as the service is not suspended. For reference, you may check this link: (https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=270360&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D612%26typeid%3D612).

Does it limit the distance if i were not the one the drone is reg under?.

That link will be helpful to at least attempt to sort out whether drone can be flown.

Tnx
2023-5-19
Use props
fans3a08eccf
lvl.1

United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 5-19 07:37
Hi, fans3a08eccf. The icon does not affect anything in terms of operation. You can still operate the drone even if you were not the one who activated it. One thing you should check is if it is bound to another account as unbinding needs to be done only by the previous owner. Used drones can be sent for repair as long as the service is not suspended. For reference, you may check this link: (https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=270360&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D612%26typeid%3D612).

I dont really know why I am actually concerned with distance ( I as I were when I flew a lot of fpv)..The only reason I want the SE is for smooth steady vids of electric fixed wing flying from slightly above.The typical pattern is basic close-in to advanced 3D but all in a more or less tight pattern.
2023-5-19
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

fans3a08eccf Posted at 5-19 10:42
Does it limit the distance if i were not the one the drone is reg under?.

That link will be helpful to at least attempt to sort out whether drone can be flown.

No, the activation doesn't have anything to do with the distance. It will not limit you with any of the operations if the drone has been activated already. The only thing you need to worry about with the drone that has been activated is if it's bounded to the previous owner's account.
2023-5-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules