Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Improvisations on my Mavic Pro
805 3 2023-5-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DRONESTAR-AFRIQ
lvl.1
Nigeria

Hello y'all! Greetings.
I should have joined here long ago...
Well, I just did some improvisation on my old Mavic Pro Drone, which I have had since 2017...OLD Drone, but still flies Ok.

I began to have Gimbal Flex Cable issues since last year. I suspect is was from many flights taking off from Grass and shrubs.

Where I live, we do not have ready access to buy parts or do repairs, and I am not travelling to the West anytime soon.

So I did something STUPID.

I have cut the Gimbal Flex Cable completely - it was already almost severed - it actually sparked quite strongly.

Next thing I did was to position the Camera, switched it on, and made sure it is well positioned - then I glued the gimbal rotation points with high-strength glue.

So, now I have my camera pointing forward, well positioned.
I have not flown it yet - I expect to have it well stabilised too: pointing forward.

I also plan to fly the drone with a GoPro Hero8 mounted on top soon.

Thoughts?

2023-5-15
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Your bold experiment in engineering excellence is sure to yield some interesting results.   
2023-5-15
Use props
Burt37
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

I would just ditch the OEM camera and just mount the GoPro in the same place...
2023-5-15
Use props
DRONESTAR-AFRIQ
lvl.1
Nigeria

Ok.
I did some flying to test, and its all good so far. No regrets.
[I will save money and buy a newer model Drone soon: maybe the new Mavic Pro 3! ]
But for now, I can "manage" this as it is.

I flew the drone yesterday: camera shakes quite a bit.
Footage is fixed facing forward: almost like FPV.

I am sure shaking can be fixed with video stabilisation software in processing.

I tested Intelligent Flight modes:
* Active-Track did not work [Not surprising!]
* Tripod worked, and gave the best, smoothest quality video. One trick I have learnt now: take the drone up high, then change to Tripod to get all the landscape video...
* Tapfly: I need to try this again. I was working on this when the drone spooked a pair of teen lovers out of the shrub where they were... I don't know who was more startled: me or them!
* Waypoint Mode: This really interests me - I really need to explore this mode.
* Quickshot: I need to try this- I suspect it will not work.
* Point of Interest - this is something I have used quite a lot in the past - construction work inspections and remote monitoring, when my Gimbal was Ok. I will try it again soon, but I suspect it will not work.

So, for now, it seems like the main use for this drone will be sweeping paranomic/ landscape Pictures and Video...

I can fly it to height, switch to Tripod...

But I am happy, I still have a working drone. I have a working camera, that will enable me see where I am flying. I can continue to use it minimally.

If I remove the camera completely, and put a GoPro as mentioned above: I will not have something to view with, outside of Line-of-Sight...

So, this is OK.

This is fine...

2023-5-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules