Operations over People Categorization
1702 9 2023-5-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rhodo
lvl.1

United States

Is there any effort underway to categorize older models of DJI drones to operations over people?  for that matter newer DJI drones. it looks like AgEagle is the only company to have any drones categorized, to date. those are all category three.
2023-5-15
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Rhodo. Thanks for reaching out. We apologize, but we currently do not have any related information regarding this inquiry. For future updates, please stay tuned on the official DJI website (www.dji.com). We appreciate your understanding.
2023-5-17
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No, because the consumer quadcopter drones that DJI creates (with the exception of the 249g Mini) do not have a redundant safety feature which mitigates a loss of power. The Inspire 2 and some Matrice can be fitted with parachutes, but they're not endorsed by the OEM and may put the drone over it's MTOM.

The company you've referred to fly fixed wing, which have a nice redundant feature in the event of a power loss, that they can glide to safety. A drone weighing 1KG is deemed as potentially lethal if dropped from >15 metres.

The Mini series drones (249g) do not exceed 40J of energy, all the way up to 400ft, so it's not classed as lethal if it were to fall on someone's head.
2023-5-17
Use props
Rhodo
lvl.1

United States

i appreciate that answer, thanks.
2023-5-17
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

CloudVisual Posted at 5-17 01:52
The Mini series drones (249g) do not exceed 40J of energy, all the way up to 400ft, so it's not classed as lethal if it were to fall on someone's head.

can you say that again please....about the mini drone?
2023-5-17
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 5-17 07:35
can you say that again please....about the mini drone?

Sure, the DJI Mini drone (249g) has a kinetic energy value of less than 40 joules all the way to its terminal velocity. You'll see below my kinetic energy impact calculator. I have to prove to the CAA each of my drone's KE at different altitudes.

There is a saying "The 40 Joule Rule" which says that anything over 40j to the head is classed as a potentially fatal.

2023-5-17
Use props
DroneApe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459954 ft
United States

Rhodo Posted at 5-17 06:31
i appreciate that answer, thanks.

Unfortunately that answer doesn’t apply here in USA.  The sticking point for Part 107 Category 1 is you need to have prop guards.  As far as I know, prop guards will put you over the 0.55 weight limit.

The Recreational rules require that you follow a CBO.  The CBO’s say “don’t fly over people”.  
2023-5-17
Use props
Rhodo
lvl.1

United States

DroneApe Posted at 5-17 08:56
Unfortunately that answer doesn’t apply here in USA.  The sticking point for Part 107 Category 1 is you need to have prop guards.  As far as I know, prop guards will put you over the 0.55 weight limit.

The Recreational rules require that you follow a CBO.  The CBO’s say “don’t fly over people”.

The fist two paragraphs explain the issue. but with us its a 11 pounds of force rule, for cat. 2 or a 25 pound of force rule for cat. 3.  I'm starting to think the reason quadcopter drones with those categories don't exist is because nobody has been able to comply with the requirement. 40 Joules = 29.50249 ft-lbs. i know the unit "ft-lb" is not mentioned, but rather "pounds of force" which is not an actual unit of measure that i am aware of.

so i don't think we will be flying over people anytime soon.  but they use big heavy drones at the Indy 500, even though i see no clasifications for Cat. 4 approved either.  are those approved on waivers?
2023-5-17
Use props
DroneApe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459954 ft
United States

Rhodo Posted at 5-17 09:27
The fist two paragraphs explain the issue. but with us its a 11 pounds of force rule, for cat. 2 or a 25 pound of force rule for cat. 3.  I'm starting to think the reason quadcopter drones with those categories don't exist is because nobody has been able to comply with the requirement. 40 Joules = 29.50249 ft-lbs. i know the unit "ft-lb" is not mentioned, but rather "pounds of force" which is not an actual unit of measure that i am aware of.

so i don't think we will be flying over people anytime soon.  but they use big heavy drones at the Indy 500, even though i see no clasifications for Cat. 4 approved either.  are those approved on waivers?

I would call the FAA.  Whenever I’ve called State or Federal government agencies in the past,  I’ve always got a ton of useful information.  Ask for the FAAdroneguy.  Kevin Morris.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/contact_us

https://www.youtube.com/live/ZBykaMRk91g?feature=share
2023-5-17
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rhodo Posted at 5-17 09:27

I know you're looking for answers to the FAA stuff, but over here we can apply for certain permissions beyond what is normally allowed. For example, we're normally not allowed to fly a drone within 50m of uninvolved people, but as long as you can put a safety case forward with mitigations and stuff to back up your claims, then the CAA will grant you reductions in the standard restrictions. For example, I'm permitted 5 metres from the uninvolved on all my drones.

The stuff at the Indy 500 may have similar 'safety cases' which mean the FAA are satisfied with what they've got in place.

If you do talk to the FAA, might as well ask what the FAA equivalent of the uk 'Operating Safety Case' which is what gives me reduced distances and increased altitudes over 400ft.
2023-5-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules