Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Maximum wind tolerance
14466 19 2023-5-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BrianMD
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15856 ft
United Kingdom

Hi Folks,

Can you please advice me on the strongest wind speed that DJI recommend flying the Mini 3 Pro?
Is the gust speed or wind speed the measure to use?
2023-5-15
Use props
KLRSKIR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

The max wind speed resistance of DJI Mini 3 Pro is 10.7 m/s (Level 5).
* Wind resistance is dependent upon propulsion. Under strong winds, due to the lightweight nature of the drone, slight vibration is expected. High-powered propulsion ensures the drone hovers stably or returns to home safely. DJI Mini 3 Pro automatically controls the gimbal to adjust slightly to ensure that the footage is always stable and not affected by the wind.

Source
2023-5-15
Use props
BrianMD
lvl.1
United Kingdom

KLRSKIR Posted at 5-15 09:38
* Wind resistance is dependent upon propulsion. Under strong winds, due to the lightweight nature of the drone, slight vibration is expected. High-powered propulsion ensures the drone hovers stably or returns to home safely. DJI Mini 3 Pro automatically controls the gimbal to adjust slightly to ensure that the footage is always stable and not affected by the wind.

Thanks for your reply, can you advise if that's the sready wind speed or the gust speed please?
2023-5-15
Use props
KLRSKIR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would take that as a steady wind. A gust more than that will push the aircraft in the air. As always, be very careful with the Mini 3 Pro when the winds get anywhere near those speeds. It's best to take your drone out to a wide open area and do some wind tests for yourself.
2023-5-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Can you please advice me on the strongest wind speed that DJI recommend flying the Mini 3 Pro?

It's not that simple.
There's no single go/no go wind speed.
You need to consider the direction of the wind as much as the speed and how that affects your intended flight.
If you are only flying a short distance or you are flying upwind on the way out, your drone can manage much stronger winds than if you were to fly a long distance downwind and have to fight a headwind coming home.

Is the gust speed or wind speed the measure to use?
The only thing that's important to the drone is the strength of the wind, not whether you choose to call it a gust or not.

2023-5-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

KLRSKIR Posted at 5-15 09:38

DJI's max windspeed resistance is meaningless and can't be used as a go/no go decision tool.
You could fly safely in a stronger wind or you could lose the drone in a wind that's not as strong.
2023-5-15
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

From what I can gather, the max wind resistance (level 5) is 5 on the Beaufort scale and is actually based on the mean (average) wind speed. Its the only wind scale i know so i could be wrong.

5Bft = (19kts 10m/s mean)        (17-21kts  9-11m/s limit of wind speed) Fresh breeze.

Notice that gust speed is not mentioned on the Beaufort scale, that's because it was primarily for sailors and the sea state, the mean speed I believe was originally over a few hours

With that in mind, you need to be aware that for warranty purposes if you fly in faster winds (and it, can see Labroides replies) you may invalidate the warranty. May being the operative word, its not likely unless you have a "fly away" and do not have cover for that and try to claim on the warranty or if the DJI tech is in being a stickler at the time.
2023-5-15
Use props
Burt37
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

Or get yourself one of these and have fun...

https://www.amazon.com/Anley-Win ... ctive/dp/B01HHPTD5I
2023-5-15
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Burt37 Posted at 5-15 16:41
Or get yourself one of these and have fun...

https://www.amazon.com/Anley-Windsock-Direction-Measurement-Reflective/dp/B01HHPTD5I

Be ideal, on a 100m pole ;)

They are only good for letting the pilot know the wind speed at the time of take-off or landing.

Granted, if the thing is horizontal then its best not to take-off with ya drone...
2023-5-16
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Anyone else seeing "Downvote Use props"  along the bottom of each post? What the heck is that? I don't want to click on the drop down arrowhead just in case it downvotes that post.
EDIT
Oh it's gone now

2023-5-16
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, BrianMD. Thank you for reaching out. The Max Wind Speed Resistance of DJI Mini 3 Pro is 10.7 m/s (Level 5). It doesn't matter whether it is gust speed or wind speed, as long as the wind speed exceeds 10.7m/s, the maximum attitude and motor power that the aircraft can provide will not be able to support it, and there is a risk of being blown out of its current position. Please always fly with caution.
2023-5-16
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ultimately you will have to fly in wind to get a sense of what the drone can handle, pure numbers will mean nothing in practical terms. Have my drones suffered momentary blow aways? Yes, but I haven't yet lost one though I came close to ditching one in the sea because it was heading for housing.
Now, if I have any worries, I have a simple rule, don't fly.

Even if you suffer a blow away there are things you can do to reduce the chance of losing the drone
1) if possible reduce its height, wind speed tends to increase with height above the ground (AGL)
2) if not in sports mode SWITCH to sports mode, the drones maximum airspeed is greatest? in sports mode.
3) DO NOT rely on RTH to get the drone home, it will often result in the drone climbing and by so doing put it up into stronger wind.
4) DO NOT fly long distance away from the home point DOWNWIND. Even if the drone can handle the wind speed such a downwind outbound flight means that, in terms of the air miles flown, the drone has a longer upwind flight to get home.

For some reason I think this wind was too strong

2023-5-16
Use props
BrianMD
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thank you very much for all the replies, I appreciate the time taken to do so. Lucky for me that I live in Scotland which is a rather windy country a lot of the time. I think that I will try to improve my ability as a drone pilot and then upgrade to a larger drone next year.
2023-5-17
Use props
Zoooom
lvl.4

Australia

The maximum speed the drone travels in each direction in sport mode gives some clue as to how fast it can resist wind. It's pointless sending the drone 1km away, and then finding out the wind on the way back is 13m/s against you. The drone will struggle, until you can lower it to tree level. You have to watch the blue level attitude meter when the drone is still.
2023-5-17
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Zoooom Posted at 5-17 02:21
The maximum speed the drone travels in each direction in sport mode gives some clue as to how fast it can resist wind. It's pointless sending the drone 1km away, and then finding out the wind on the way back is 13m/s against you. The drone will struggle, until you can lower it to tree level. You have to watch the blue level attitude meter when the drone is still.

"You have to watch the blue level attitude meter when the drone is still."

Whilst checking the indicator when the drone is supposed to be hovering is a good idea, strictly speaking the above quotation is not correct. The attitude indicator can also give you indications as to wind strength when the drone is moving, let me explain.
The summary of what follows is that, when the drone is moving any unexpected tilt shown by the indicator indicates not only the amount of wind that the drone is encountering but also the direction of that wind.

If your are sending the drone forwards or backwards and the attitude indicator is tilted left to right  or right to left that indicates there is a sidewind. The amount of tilt indicates the strength that wind and the direction of tilt indicated the direction of the wind, the tilt is such that the drone will fly into the sidewind.

This same idea applies to commanded sideways flight where the indictor also shows nose up/down tilt.

Similarly the amount by which the indicator is above of below the centre of the indicator indicates how much the drone is having to tilt to comply with the forwards or backwards flight. If the amount of tilt is less than expected the drone is flying with the wind. If the amount of tilt is greater than expected then the drone is flying into the wind.

I have seen a drone RTH with the indicator's horizon in the centre or above the centre.... meaning the drone was, by intention, RTH'ing downwind and that the wind speed was, respectively, equal to or greater than the RTH speed.
2023-5-17
Use props
djiuser_J436rv8FbKqi
lvl.1
Flight distance : 101470 ft
Canada

DJI Gamora Posted at 5-16 06:00
Hi, BrianMD. Thank you for reaching out. The Max Wind Speed Resistance of DJI Mini 3 Pro is 10.7 m/s (Level 5). It doesn't matter whether it is gust speed or wind speed, as long as the wind speed exceeds 10.7m/s, the maximum attitude and motor power that the aircraft can provide will not be able to support it, and there is a risk of being blown out of its current position. Please always fly with caution.

Hello, thank you for this info. Can you explain how 10.7 m/s translates into km/h? What does m/s stand for? Thank you.
2023-11-24
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_J436rv8FbKqi Posted at 11-24 13:24
Hello, thank you for this info. Can you explain how 10.7 m/s translates into km/h? What does m/s stand for? Thank you.

m/s = metres per second. You should be able to work the rest out for yourself.
2023-11-24
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hello, there. The m/s stands for meters per second and it converts to 37.8 km/h. I hope this answers your query.
2023-11-24
Use props
djiuser_M1Dx9lIvqsZ6
lvl.1
Flight distance : 185285 ft
United Kingdom

10.7 metres per second is 24mph, the drone can fly at 16 metres per seconds obviously in sport mode an I'd suggest putting in sport mode if the drones tells you it's to windy to help it get back. Other than that i rely on a big flag pole/flag across from me to tell me if it's bad or not
2023-12-10
Use props
Lieutenant
lvl.4
Australia

10.7 meters per sec x 60 = 642 meters per minute.
642 meters per minute x 60 = 38,520 meters per hour.
38,520 meters per hour ÷ 1000 = 38.5 kilometers per hour.
2023-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules