DIY Telemetry Overlay
566 1 2023-5-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LawrenceF
lvl.2
Flight distance : 68822 ft
United States

I'd been using DashWare and I really like the custom telemetry overlay that I created there.   However, it just gets too much of a hassle, having to first render the video with audio before it will render from DashWare with the overlay.   I really wish the developer had kept going with it.

Along those lines, I thought I'd share my current DYI method, using masks in my video editor.   I use Magix Vegas but this can be done in any decent video editor.  It occured to me that I could use the telemetry directly from the DJI RC screen recording.   Below is an example of a mask around just the main numerical data, while using Chroma Key to remove the background. It makes a really nice and unobtrusive overlay.   

The best part is that you can scale it, move it, color it, or otherwise add any video FX to it or even add your own background to it you want it to stand out more.

telemetry.png
You can also shape masks around more of the screen data if you want more, like below where I've shaped the mask around the compass display...

telemetry 2.png
Saving those masks as presets makes it easy to recall or transition to them at any time during the video edit.  

A good coincidence:  Because the DJI RC screen recording is lower resolution, it puts a lot less strain on your system running it along with the main 4k video, while the resolution is perfectly fine for this purpose.

As a final note to this new adventure, because you can record audio on the RC via USB-C, everything is already there in the initial video import and you can edit the audio before rendering the video, which of course is not possile in DashWare.   I use an inexpensive wireless lavalier mic to record audio.   It sounds pretty good for $25 and connects to USB-C, iPhone, and USB-A.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BNKMX63L

2023-5-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Looks very nice!
2023-5-16
Use props
Advanced