Dji rc controller dropping battery overnight. Normal?
1048 13 2023-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 474537 ft
United States

Hey guys. I notice my rc controller that came with the mavic 3 pro, would lose battery percentage overnight. So i did a test to see how much it loses. I charged it with the included charger until it stop flashing the 4 green lights. So i turn it on and slide on the screen down to see the percent. It is showing 100%. I short press, then press again and hold for 2-3 seconds to turn off. The lights flashes on the controller then shuts off. This is how i shut off the remote and the drone. I leave it over night. Time is 10pm. I wake up in the morning, 9am. I short press and now its showing only 3 green lights. I long press to turn on the controller. I scrolled down on the screen. Percentage is showing 74%. Why would it drop so much over night? Thats a little over 25% drop over night. I expect it to be like 98-100%, not 74%. Is this normal for the dji rc controller? Anyone have one can test to see how much theirs drop over night? I will test again tonight to see how much it will drop this time.
2023-5-17
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

It should not drop that much overnight, maybe 1%. The new Autel SE Samrt controller was doing the same for my V3 and Autel fixed that in a software update but with AUtel we could remove the controller battery to stop the drain.
2023-5-17
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

I just checked my Dji RC that came with the Pro. Was fully charged yesterday at around 2pm and checked now at 16h30, more than 24 hours and it is still 100% battery so you may have a faulty RC.
2023-5-17
Use props
delfin2003
lvl.4
Flight distance : 170869 ft
United States

NEVER store your RC controller fully charged unless you are flying everyday. You are supposed to store them at two full leds and third one blinking = 50% charge.
2023-5-17
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
United States

Suren Posted at 5-17 20:37
I just checked my Dji RC that came with the Pro. Was fully charged yesterday at around 2pm and checked now at 16h30, more than 24 hours and it is still 100% battery so you may have a faulty RC.

I will test it again tonight. Fully charge it and will see tomorrow. If it keeps dropping that much i will contact dji. Cause its only few days old.
2023-5-17
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
United States

delfin2003 Posted at 5-17 20:43
NEVER store your RC controller fully charged unless you are flying everyday. You are supposed to store them at two full leds and third one blinking = 50% charge.

I think you are talking about storing battery fully charged for a long period without using. Example months. Ive been into rc heli, cars, trucks and lipo battery never good to store fully charge for months if not use. They will balloon up. Leaving it fully charged for few days to weeks is not gonna hurt it. The rc controller and mavic 3 pro drone is new since its only been released. So no way i already damage it by leaving it fully charge. To damage it would have to leave full charge for months without use.
2023-5-17
Use props
bjr981s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

delfin2003 Posted at 5-17 20:43
NEVER store your RC controller fully charged unless you are flying everyday. You are supposed to store them at two full leds and third one blinking = 50% charge.

This advice is critical for LiPo batteries. But the RC controllers are LiOn batteries so not as critical.

It's better to have some discharge away from 100% but again not critical. I have stored Spark controllers a full charge for the last 4-5 years. They are all fine. I have 5 Sparks I use for training students.

2023-5-17
Use props
bjr981s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Your battery in the controller is faulty have it replaced under warranty with DJI or the store you bought it from.
2023-5-17
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. Can you please conduct the test again and see if the issue persists? If yes, I'm afraid that you may consider sending the unit in for a proper diagnosis. You may submit a ticket case at https://repair.dji.com/repair/index . Also, the warranty can be applied depending on the outcome of the damage assessment including the warranty period of your unit. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-5-18
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 5-18 03:24
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. Can you please conduct the test again and see if the issue persists? If yes, I'm afraid that you may consider sending the unit in for a proper diagnosis. You may submit a ticket case at https://repair.dji.com/repair/index . Also, the warranty can be applied depending on the outcome of the damage assessment including the warranty period of your unit. Thank you for your understanding and support.

I fully charged it last night until the green lights turn off by itself. I check to confirm it is 100% charged. I switch it off around 10pm. I woke up today and check it, it is now showing 67%. Ill contact dji. Thanks.
2023-5-18
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 5-18 03:24
Hello. I just send in a request and it is saying i have to ship everything back, drone, battery, remote, etc. I just need the rc controller replace/repair. Do i have to ship all those back. I purchased them as a bundle, the mavic 3 pro rc controller bundle. Or can i just send in the rc controller?
Screenshot_20230518_093505_Chrome.jpg
2023-5-18
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

In General Dji will ask for the complete package to be sent back for a replacement but hopefully if you PM a Mod here they can arrange for just the RC to be sent back. PM Gamora or Mindy
2023-5-18
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
United States

Suren Posted at 5-18 11:09
In General Dji will ask for the complete package to be sent back for a replacement but hopefully if you PM a Mod here they can arrange for just the RC to be sent back. PM Gamora or Mindy

The rc controller came with the mavic 3 pro. I dont see a point in sending the whole drone and everything when its only the remote having issues. I think i will just package the rc controller and include a note saying i only need the remote replace. They can check on the remote for serial number. Dont want to have to send the drone in when its not the problem.
2023-5-18
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC Posted at 5-18 06:37
Hello. I just send in a request and it is saying i have to ship everything back, drone, battery, remote, etc. I just need the rc controller replace/repair. Do i have to ship all those back. I purchased them as a bundle, the mavic 3 pro rc controller bundle. Or can i just send in the rc controller?

Thank you for your response. Kindly please check your inbox as I've sent you a PM. Thank you for your understanding.
2023-5-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules