Panorama jpegs Did they lose resolution options in newDJI Fly ver...
812 5 2023-5-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nazgull
lvl.2
Canada

I had to update DJI fly to use both the mini 2 and the mini 3.  PER PANORAMAS, a problem that has arisen for me is that the companion jpegs- to- raw AND the jpegs- alone saved to the sd card are now just 2000*1500 resolution. I'm really sure I used to have them as 4000*3000....

I know, and can use, the dng-raw files to build a 360 pano but really, I would like to use the full sized jpegs as- I'm pretty sure-, I used to be able to do. DJI Fly does an awfully good job with the jpegs, IMO. Better than me fussing with batch converting dngs for a less satisfying result..

yes,  I recall I had to set this resolution when the drone was flying and in panorama mode from what was then, way back, around DJI Fly version 1.4.8, a 1080 default. But now, I see no option, anywhere, anyhow. Panorama jpegs are now 2000*1500 while the dngs are unchanged and "ok" as 4000 *3000.

Can you tell me- Have I forgotten something? or am i right and DJI has tweaked the software so that "2k" jpegs is now what you get. ....perhaps for their own purposes ,stitching panos inside DJI Fly for "user convenience" and upload to social sites? across all Mini versions?   If so, I wish they hadn't.

This complaint applies to the Mini 3 "no- pro" too.

"Solution" I can see is to  install DJI Fly 1.4.8 for use with the M2 on a different device and a different controller OR in present practise-just stay with Litchi which still acts properly but neither satisfies the M3.

2023-5-18
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, nazgull. Thanks for reaching out. We have forwarded your inquiry to the related team for confirmation.  We'll keep you posted.
2023-5-20
Use props
nazgull
lvl.2
Canada

Thanks, Tony!  It seems a bit odd to not include the full-size jpeg as you used to do. (and this This applies to the Mini3 non-pro too) But if I'm missing a setting somewhere, please advise!
Thanks again.
2023-5-20
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

nazgull Posted at 5-20 07:15
Thanks, Tony!  It seems a bit odd to not include the full-size jpeg as you used to do. (and this This applies to the Mini3 non-pro too) But if I'm missing a setting somewhere, please advise!
Thanks again.

Hi, nazgull. Thank you for patiently waiting. The resolution required for a stitched panoramic photo on the mobile phone is low, which does not need a larger input image. Meanwhile, small images can improve the speed to process and downloading photos to a mobile phone.
2023-5-22
Use props
nazgull
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Gamora Posted at 5-22 01:21
Hi, nazgull. Thank you for patiently waiting. The resolution required for a stitched panoramic photo on the mobile phone is low, which does not need a larger input image. Meanwhile, small images can improve the speed to process and downloading photos to a mobile phone.

Yes, indeed Gamora, and they are quite good for what they are! They are very quick to upload and share if a person wants to do that.

But I'm a bit of a pixel-peeper and I like a higher resolution with more detail. The file  size in megabytes of the finished panorama is not a worry  because I usually won't be uploading them anywhere. I view and share them at home on large screens and the lower resolution panos that  DJI Fly produces do not look as well as my "home-made" full-sized panos on a large screen.

Also, as an aside,  the individual jpeg photos before being stitched were nice to look at. Sometimes, I would keep several of these just as they are...

My  complaint is that DJI Fly in earlier versions did include full sized jpegs (4000x3000) on the drone's sd card but no longer does. It's not a huge problem for me- I can use the "raw files" but it's more work and not so convenient as it used to be. I even think my results batch-manipulating all the raw files are not so good as what I used to do using Dji Fly's full-sized jpegs...

DJI may even have an excellent reason for the change. As you say, it makes it easier for a phone's processor and DJI is no doubt constantly struggling with a wide range of phones and Android versions!  I can accept this as reason for the change, even if I do have a low-medium phone that has always worked very well.(MotoG 8-Android11, video caching OFF) But I am sad about losing those big jpegs

2023-5-22
Use props
nazgull
lvl.2
Canada

..so, since nobody but me cares, and  since I do like to use the jpegs full-sized to save me trying to dredge the lense profile from dngs, I  shoot the panorama manually, in plain photo mode.
2023-6-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules