Precison Landing for Mini 3 Pro
1234Next >
10035 136 2023-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Bashy Posted at 5-22 17:53
Thanks, Its certainly not precision landing when comparing to say the P4P, whereas the latter can land nigh on perfectly to the H on the landing pad, the Mini 3 Pro cant even hit the landing pad.

I should also add that with say the P4P, you have to actually enable Precision Landing else its just the standard landing of which is about on par with the Mini 3 Pro

Hi, engineers said, under the premise of good positioning, if the deviation of the landing accuracy is within the range of GPS positioning accuracy, then it can be considered precision landing.

2023-5-24
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 5-24 03:52
Hi, engineers said, under the premise of good positioning, if the deviation of the landing accuracy is within the range of GPS positioning accuracy, then it can be considered precision landing.

Ok, but thats not the same as THE Precision Landing for such as the P4P and Mavic Pro, with those models and others, you have the option to enable Precision Landing when you choose Take Off, that Precision Landing enables the drone to land on pretty much the exact spot it took off from, lets say we use a landing pad with an H in the middle, with the drones mentioned above, they will come back and land pretty much on the H.

Now with this Mini 3 Pro, youre lucky if its within 2 to 3 feet of the landing pad, let alone the H, that is not Precision Landing, that is just GPS landing, i.e. a GPS fix that it took when it took off, sadly that is not the same as what we are all talking about and wanting for the Mini 3 Pro
2023-5-24
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Bashy Posted at 5-24 07:00
Ok, but thats not the same as THE Precision Landing for such as the P4P and Mavic Pro, with those models and others, you have the option to enable Precision Landing when you choose Take Off, that Precision Landing enables the drone to land on pretty much the exact spot it took off from, lets say we use a landing pad with an H in the middle, with the drones mentioned above, they will come back and land pretty much on the H.

Now with this Mini 3 Pro, youre lucky if its within 2 to 3 feet of the landing pad, let alone the H, that is not Precision Landing, that is just GPS landing, i.e. a GPS fix that it took when it took off, sadly that is not the same as what we are all talking about and wanting for the Mini 3 Pro

As we said, each model has a different design and hardware. Currently, we confirmed that the DJI Mini3 Pro has the precision landing feature and this is not a function. Thus,  there is no switch to enable or disable it. We are sorry that the precision landing does not work as the other devices. The accuracy of the precision landing depends on the GPS positioning accuracy. We will forward your feedback to our engineers as well. Thanks for your understandng and support.
2023-5-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 5-25 03:54
As we said, each model has a different design and hardware. Currently, we confirmed that the DJI Mini3 Pro has the precision landing feature and this is not a function. Thus,  there is no switch to enable or disable it. We are sorry that the precision landing does not work as the other devices. The accuracy of the precision landing depends on the GPS positioning accuracy. We will forward your feedback to our engineers as well. Thanks for your understandng and support.

Thank you, because calling it precision landing is a tad misleading as it lands with the same precision as any other non-commercial DJI drone, normally within 2 to 3ft when the Precision Landing isn't used or not an option
2023-5-25
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Bashy Posted at 5-25 06:35
Thank you, because calling it precision landing is a tad misleading as it lands with the same precision as any other non-commercial DJI drone, normally within 2 to 3ft when the Precision Landing isn't used or not an option

Wanda doesn't know how to read the manual. The Mini 3 Pro does NOT have Precision Landing. As such, 3 to 4 feet is perfectly within GPS specs for a consumer location.
2023-5-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mobilehomer Posted at 5-25 09:55
Wanda doesn't know how to read the manual. The Mini 3 Pro does NOT have Precision Landing. As such, 3 to 4 feet is perfectly within GPS specs for a consumer location.

From what i can gather, she is only going on what she is being told by the tech's, its the techs that are saying that it's "precision landing", I fear that someone somewhere is feeding the wrong info. Calling a shovel a spade is whats going on me thinks...
2023-5-25
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Bashy Posted at 5-25 06:35

We understand your meaning and we will forward this to our engineers, too.
2023-5-26
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 5-26 05:12
We understand your meaning and we will forward this to our engineers, too.

Thank you, much appreciated
2023-5-26
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A question for the owners of fly app using drones the DO have precision landing and a subsequent question for Mini 3 Pro owners.
When your drone arrives over the home point and is about to perform a precision landing does it, if necessary,  turn to point itself in the same direction as when it took off?
My Mavic 2 pro and zoom do that.
If the answer is YES, then, to Mini 3 Pro owners, if it is necessary does you Mini 3 Pro perform this turn?
2023-5-26
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-26 08:28
A question for the owners of fly app using drones the DO have precision landing and a subsequent question for Mini 3 Pro owners.
When your drone arrives over the home point and is about to perform a precision landing does it, if necessary,  turn to point itself in the same direction as when it took off?

I do not think my Mini 3 Pro does this, I cannot be 100% certain but i am around 95% sure it does not.
2023-5-26
Use props
alan10
lvl.1
Flight distance : 23114 ft
United Kingdom

Yes, my Mini3 Pro turns.
2023-5-26
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

alan10 Posted at 5-26 23:58
Yes, my Mini3 Pro turns.

That's interesting. Thanks.
2023-5-27
Use props
alan10
lvl.1
Flight distance : 23114 ft
United Kingdom

To enlarge a bit, my old Mavic Air used to auto land within a few inches of the home point. The Mini3 Pro consistently lands about two feet from the home point.
2023-5-27
Use props
djiuser_zFLJjQYKKgFM
New
Flight distance : 43451 ft
Poland

I am new user of DJI Mini 3 Pro drone. Previously I used Fimi X8 Mini which is cheap drone and it has precising Landing which is working very well. I can't imagine that mini 3 Pro has no this function. Fimi X8 mini can land on the launchpad and detect it corectly even without H sign. The precision is very good in my case it was maximum 5 cm every time. DJI Mini 3 Pro has no landing camera, but I'm sure that we can use built-in camera. Of course it is additional cost to create this future especially from the programming side, but if very chip drone as Fimi X8 mini has this function and it works very well - that means that is possible. DJI - What do you think ? I'm a bit disappointed.
2023-5-27
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-27 00:05
That's interesting. Thanks.

I would need to get mine out to check this, to be honest, i rarely use RTH so i could quite easily be mistaken.
2023-5-27
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 5-27 06:44
I would need to get mine out to check this, to be honest, i rarely use RTH so i could quite easily be mistaken.

With my M2P/Z whether or not the drone does a turn on arriving over the home point was/is for me the test to see whether or not the launch was a suitable one for precision landing to be activated.
As I once nearly lost a M2P/Z because the home point was about 20ft off I now, at the start of a flight,  generally send the drone out a couple of hundred ft and do an RTH. This checks two things,
a) where the home point is and
b) whether the launch was a 'precision landing ' launch.
2023-5-27
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-27 09:52
With my M2P/Z whether or not the drone does a turn on arriving over the home point was/is for me the test to see whether or not the launch was a suitable one for precision landing to be activated.
As I once nearly lost a M2P/Z because the home point was about 20ft off I now, at the start of a flight,  generally send the drone out a couple of hundred ft and do an RTH. This checks two things,
a) where the home point is and

Yeah, i figured as much, i think my P4P does it, i just cannot say 100% either way for the M3P.

I think it's the rotation that lines it up for the precision landing, cause if it's facing a different way from what it was during take off then that right there has messed up the precision part, so it needs to match the image for the initial phase. That's my thinking anyway, I could be way off as usual lol.

With the M3P we don't actually activate any Precision Landing during the activation of Take-Off, such as we have to do in the Go4 app for the P4P, since activated, the P4P will then Take-Off and ascend to about 6m i think it is (give or take), I think its this height where it takes the image for the Precsion part.
That right there tells me that the M3P does not have Precision Landing cause it will only ascend a few feet before hovering. Oh wait, i also rarely use auto Take-Off, its mostly manual (CSC) lol, i really need to get it out this morning and have a look, not enough charge for a flight mind but i will test the Auto take off and see where it hovers at.
2023-5-27
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I too very rarely, if ever, use auto take off so don't know how the m2p behaves in that respect with regard to being suitable to enable precision landing.
2023-5-27
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-27 19:06
I too very rarely, if ever, use auto take off so don't know how the m2p behaves in that respect with regard to being suitable to enable precision landing.

The M3P only ascends to about 1.2m, no way is that high enough to take the image
2023-5-28
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 5-28 03:02
The M3P only ascends to about 1.2m, no way is that high enough to take the image

what happens if you then do a vertical climb to 7m+  and then fly to distance and do an RTH?
2023-5-28
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-28 05:19
what happens if you then do a vertical climb to 7m+  and then fly to distance and do an RTH?

It will do a rth but within about 3 foot, unlike proper Precision Landing thats within a few inches
2023-5-28
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

I don't mind having real precision landing feature but I would prefer that developers use that time and effort to develop waypoints first.
2023-5-28
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
Japan

Bashy Posted at 5-22 18:13
Make up ya mind, ya said it cant pitch down, now ya saying it can?

Also why would the OP need to use the camera once landing has been initiated?

Wrong type of camera.
And on takeoff it takes images up to 30ft so an operator may well want to use it.

The full resolution image camera is not the type of camera needed for the pattern matching precision landing.  Its the downward camera, specifically designed for that.

No idea of the P4 but the Mavic series automatically stop it looking down before landing to prevent damage.

2023-5-28
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Japan

Bashy Posted at 5-23 03:04
It could well be down to the contrast in just the 2 colours, i.e. black and white, if it was in colour there would be RGB and the various shades of, therefore, more computing power required.

Thats just a guess mind, prob best to see what he says lol

Its contrast matching (at least on the mavic 1 and 2).  

2023-5-28
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Japan

DAFlys Posted at 5-22 22:20
Well I think you have a different issue.    One where precision landing wouldn't really help you.

Except thats nonsense.

On both occasions precision landing absolutely would have helped as it would land where it took off and not attempt to land in a river or tree 3m away from that with no possibility to override or stop it.

2023-5-28
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Japan

DJI Wanda Posted at 5-22 04:37
It is rough data given on the basis of different hardware and environment. In general, the accuracy depends on the positioning accuracy of the GPS. Generally, the accuracy of GPS is provided up to the meter level.
Regarding the precision landing feature, it may have some differences among aircraft. However, we confirmed with engineers and were told that DJI Mini3 Pro does have the precision landing feature. I will dig into the differences and get back.

That absolutely isn't true.

The mini neither vertically ascends to log data nor does it perform any corrections at all during landing.

(Neither is the precision anywhere near what that mode would bring.  We're talking to a rough 3m radius which is what you'd expect from pure GNSS accuracy).
2023-5-28
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

frankymusik Posted at 5-21 07:09
Really well described!   

It's the same behavior on the Mavic 3...

cheers
2023-5-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 5-28 23:56
Except thats nonsense.

On both occasions precision landing absolutely would have helped as it would land where it took off and not attempt to land in a river or tree 3m away from that with no possibility to override or stop it.

3m wow.   I rarely use it but when I have its been within 9 inches of the take off.  
2023-5-29
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Except thats nonsense.

Except that your understanding of how precision landing works seems flawed.
Precision landing may result in drone landing on exactly the spot from where it took off but it does not necessarily mean that the drone starts the descent portion of the RTH vertically above the take-off/landing-point.  In fact, given the accuracy of GPS, that is quite unlikely. Besides, if GPS navigation were that accurate then there would be no need for a visual component being invovled in precision landing.
Rather, the drone has to visually identify the take-off point once the take-off point is-visible/comes-within-visual-range and then adjust the drone's position accordingly.
Thus the initial descent may well be over a tree if that tree is close enough to the take-off point to be within the range of GPS error. That looks to be the case every time I launch from one of my 'trickier' take off points i.e. the initial descent looks to be over one or other of the surrounding trees so I have never dared to let the drone land there automatically.

Elsewhere, where there are low bushes near the take-off point, the drone, despite starting its descent over those bushes, has successfully navigated past those bushes because, before the drone got low enough for those bushes to be a potential threat, the drone was able to recognise the correct landing point, adjust its horizontal position, thereby bypassing the bushes and land with its camera over a coin sized mark that had been beneath the camera at take off.

2023-5-29
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

gnirtS Posted at 5-28 23:58
That absolutely isn't true.

The mini neither vertically ascends to log data nor does it perform any corrections at all during landing.

As we said above, the hardware and design of each aircraft are different. Thus, the precision landing feature on each aircraft is different.
As for DJI Mini 3 and DJI Mini 3 Pro, they both support precision landing.
Under the premise of good GNSS signals, if the positioning difference is within the range of the GNSS accuracy, then it is a precision landing.
2023-5-29
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Except thats nonsense.

3m is a very long way in relative terms, should be around 1m at most, any further, then the GPS was fubar from the get-go.
2023-5-29
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 5-29 01:53
As we said above, the hardware and design of each aircraft are different. Thus, the precision landing feature on each aircraft is different.
As for DJI Mini 3 and DJI Mini 3 Pro, they both support precision landing.
Under the premise of good GNSS signals, if the positioning difference is within the range of the GNSS accuracy, then it is a precision landing.

GPS landing and Precision Landing are totally different in accuracy terms, when Precision Landing is used it will take an image of the take off spot and use that for the landing, thus making it a "Precision Landing".

GPS landing is not "precision landing", certainly not in the sense that this thread is referring to throughout when we all are talking about Precision Landing, it is in reference to the drone taking an initial image during take off, this is done up to 6m in height. The Mini's do not do this, they take off and ascend to only 1.2m thus only using GPS for the landing as you have already confirmed.

This thread and every other thread thats been created about Precision Landing is basically requesting that this be added to the Mini 3 Pro, after all, it does have the downward camera by accounts

What bugs us some as customers is that DJI goes forward with additions that improve the drones such as Precision Landing in the Phantom and Mavic series and then we get the Mini series. I can understand it not being available for the earlier Minis as they do not have the camera, but then the MIni 3 Pro comes out that appears to have the mechanical ability (bottom camera) but not the software ability to perform this task, hence the request for it to be added, when the techs then come back and say that its already got it, this tells me that someone somewhere doesn't know his cheek from his elbow....
2023-5-29
Use props
Lieutenant
lvl.4
Australia

With RTH my M3P always lands 1 foot to the left from takeoff.
Precise enough for me.
2023-5-29
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

And where should he land if you update the home point in the air?
2023-5-29
Use props
flashoser
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7972 ft
  • >>>
United States

My Mini 3Pro preforms this turn before landing
2023-5-29
Use props
flashoser
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7972 ft
  • >>>
United States

What's funny iswhat  DJI posted in their FAQ's about the DJI Mini3 Pro..

2023-5-29
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

flashoser Posted at 5-29 08:05
My Mini 3Pro preforms this turn before landing

thanks for that
2023-5-29
Use props
TheBoy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 28958264 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 5-24 03:52

I know your engineers are free to declare what they class as precision landing is, but it's stretching the imagination by a massive amount to claim the Mini 3 Pro has precision landing.  The clue is in the name, "precision". ie, precise.

GPS alone cannot (without RTK) provide a precise landing - and by your own post earlier, you suggested that the GPS landing can be anywhere up to 100m out.

Just accept that a mistake was made earlier in this thread, when somebody from DJI stated that the Mini 3 Pro has precision landing. It doesn't. End of.
2023-5-29
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

flashoser Posted at 5-29 08:09
What's funny iswhat  DJI posted in their FAQ's about the DJI Mini3 Pro..

[view_image]

No, the funny part is that it is not actually "Precision Landing" that we know and have come to love, I mean, if the Mini 3 Pro really does have Precision Landing then so does every drone they sell at the moment or sold in the last few years, and the ones that really do have Precision Landing should be renamed to "Extreme Precision Landing"
2023-5-29
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

My guess is that when the drone immediately takes off after finding the satellites, it still has low positioning accuracy, so the home point is initially offset.
2023-5-29
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules