Precison Landing for Mini 3 Pro
1234Next >
10004 136 2023-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sir Jackington
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Is there a reason why this wasn't built in? I can land the drone no problem, but it's kinda annoying trying to centre it onto my landing pad whilst setting off all the obstacle avoidance with my body. It seems like it would be an easy thing to use the bottom cameras and have it lock on to an obvious target like a landing pad and hit centre every time.

2023-5-19
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

"setting off all the obstacle avoidance with my body"

Although its doesn't have precision landing capability yet but why would you be standing near the landing pad?
Switch the camera down, use the center point grid to aim the landing pad, then it lands almost perfectly.

2023-5-19
Use props
Sir Jackington
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Ranjan Posted at 5-19 00:23
"setting off all the obstacle avoidance with my body"

Although its doesn't have precision landing capability yet but why would you be standing near the landing pad?

I generally try to check it's centred by walking around it before landing. But I'll have to try using the camera, I guess I just thought the camera was quite forward on the drone so using it would give you a skewed idea of centre?
2023-5-19
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

One of those "Useful but not essential" features it would be nice to have. On my Mavic 2Zoom it works great, and it's something I'd like to see on my Mini3Pro as well
2023-5-19
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

Sir Jackington Posted at 5-19 00:36
I generally try to check it's centred by walking around it before landing. But I'll have to try using the camera, I guess I just thought the camera was quite forward on the drone so using it would give you a skewed idea of centre?

I usually take off & land 5m away from me, practice landing with camera down you will be be able to do it perfectly.
2023-5-19
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Actually, DJI Mini 3/Mini 3 Pro support precision landing. The feature will utilize the downward vision system and GNSS signal to realize it. May we know if the difference is large?
2023-5-19
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

DJI Wanda Posted at 5-19 01:20
Hello, there. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Actually, DJI Mini 3/Mini 3 Pro support precision landing. The feature will utilize the downward vision system and GPS signal to realize it. May we know if the difference is large?

What he is saying that RTH doesn't make the drone land on landing pad which was recorded as Home Point instead its off by 2-3 feet or more depending upon the various factors.
2023-5-19
Use props
Sir Jackington
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hello, there. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Actually, DJI Mini 3/Mini 3 Pro support precision landing. The feature will utilize the downward vision system and GPS signal to realize it. May we know if the difference is large?

As Ranjan said, sometimes the RTH will be several metres off, which isn't ideal if the area is quite dusty and you have a landing pad set up. Having an automated landing would be really useful. I feel like getting the drone to recognise the universal H symbol and hitting the centre of a pad shouldn't be so difficult. As it stands I only use RTH to get it back to the viscinity, but not for landing because it's not that accurate simply relying on GPS
2023-5-19
Use props
TheBoy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 28958264 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Are you sure, as neither of my Mini 3 Pro's have ever been able to do precision landing.
2023-5-19
Use props
_SoP_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 951020 ft
  • >>>
Germany

To be honest, I doubt that precision landing is one of the features as it is mostly 1-2 meters off. That's why I started hand catching.
2023-5-19
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TheBoy Posted at 5-19 02:56
Are you sure, as neither of my Mini 3 Pro's have ever been able to do precision landing.

Similar findings here, with the Mini3Pro and dedicated RC.  Always several feet away from the take-off point, requiring manual correction. But I usually hand-catch the drone rather than landing, so it's no big deal.
2023-5-19
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

"whilst setting off all the obstacle avoidance with my body. "

Uum why do you have obstacle avoidance ON wnen landing?  I thought it could be switched off, am I wrong?
2023-5-19
Use props
fansb5473159
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1034029 ft
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-19 10:34
"whilst setting off all the obstacle avoidance with my body. "

As a newbie two thing i learned as mentioned here is camera down and avoidance off when landing.
2023-5-19
Use props
Frank071
lvl.4
Flight distance : 128586 ft
Netherlands

As others replied: are you sure? When using RTH I have never had the drone returning on the launching pad by itself. The difference has been up to 2 m. I second the motion to have it activated in the mini3pro ;-)
2023-5-19
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This has been asked for since Day 1(ish), unless it's been added recently the Mini 3 Pro does not have Precision Landing

It is something i too would like to see added, i think that the only thing it needs to do extra is take a photo of the landing area on take-off, is that really too hard to incorporate? Perhaps it is or DJI does not feel that its important enough due to the limited team that they have. Thats my thinking anyway.

If you are confident enough, i.e. you can make very minor adjustments whilst moving slowly, then just switch to sports mode, this will turn off the OA until you switch it back to N or C, it is what i do and i am far from any good with a drone lol
2023-5-19
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

The Mavic 2 didn't have it on launch, DJI said no demand then brought it back rapidly when it turned out there was demand.

That said, im not sure the Mini 3s downward sensors are of the type they could be repurposed for it.

Ive almost lost mine twice when it completely stopped responding to the controls, RTHd and due to lacking precision landed once missed a river by under half a metre, the second time a tree.
2023-5-19
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 5-19 21:00
The Mavic 2 didn't have it on launch, DJI said no demand then brought it back rapidly when it turned out there was demand.

That said, im not sure the Mini 3s downward sensors are of the type they could be repurposed for it.

Not being nasty but I would suggest you need to chose better/safer take-off/home-points.
2023-5-19
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Sir Jackington Posted at 5-19 02:07
As Ranjan said, sometimes the RTH will be several metres off, which isn't ideal if the area is quite dusty and you have a landing pad set up. Having an automated landing would be really useful. I feel like getting the drone to recognise the universal H symbol and hitting the centre of a pad shouldn't be so difficult. As it stands I only use RTH to get it back to the viscinity, but not for landing because it's not that accurate simply relying on GPS

In GPS measurement, the pseudodistance from the receiver to several satellites at the same time is calculated based on information sent from the equipment receiving satellite. Then, the approximate position is calculated through the fusion algorithm with limited accuracy. Therefore, there is up to 100+ m margin of error on different hardware equipment.
The accuracy of the GPS can not be compared with RTK.
2023-5-20
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 5-20 00:37
In GPS measurement, the pseudodistance from the receiver to several satellites at the same time is calculated based on information sent from the equipment receiving satellite. Then, the approximate position is calculated through the fusion algorithm with limited accuracy. Therefore, there is up to 100+ m margin of error on different hardware equipment.
The accuracy of the GPS can not be compared with RTK.

Whilst this is true, RTK it is not, bot 100m for none RTK is a tad too much ;)

The Precision Landing capability is there as it would take a photo of the landing zone during take-off, its down to whether or not the drone has enough resources to analyse this information during the landing process.
2023-5-20
Use props
DuRavary
lvl.4
Flight distance : 125135 ft
France

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-19 23:32
Not being nasty but I would suggest you need to chose better/safer take-off/home-points.

Forewarned is forearmed. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I was surprised to see how far out the RTH was given the precision of the other actions. Perhaps a warning should be included in the first flight instructions.
2023-5-21
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think, RTH height depending, the initial halt 'over the landing point' is based purely on GPS, which is not - at this scale - terribly accurate. Once the ground comes within the range of the downward looking sensors  my Mavic 2 then makes one or more horizontal automatic adjustments, if they are required.
At least one automatic adjustment occurs virtually every time I let the drone 'precision land' and I think I have, occasionally, seen two adjustments and possibly three. My 'normal' take off point is surrounded by trees and whilst a vertical climb from the take off point is safe enough, the trees seem too high i.e. the ground might still be 'out of range', for the a precision landing to feel safe i.e. the drone might be in one of those trees before the drone makes an adjustment.
2023-5-21
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Japan

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-19 23:32

Meanwhile, in the real world, those places don't exist in many places when considering the need for VLOS sites and legal launch locations.

Footpaths tend to have trees, rivers and obstacles nearby.

Not everywhere is a nice open, non private field 150m away from where you want to film
2023-5-21
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Japan

DuRavary Posted at 5-21 02:34
Forewarned is forearmed. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I was surprised to see how far out the RTH was given the precision of the other actions. Perhaps a warning should be included in the first flight instructions.

Its going to vary massively depending on the GPS accuracy at the time.

Good geometry, lots of satellites, no obstructions you might get within a metre.
Other times you'll be 3m+ out.

By visually mapping the site the older drones used the image data to make micro-corrections to remove these errors and pretty much always landed within a few centimetres.
2023-5-21
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-21 05:21
I think, RTH height depending, the initial halt 'over the landing point' is based purely on GPS, which is not - at this scale - terribly accurate. Once the ground comes within the range of the downward looking sensors  my Mavic 2 then makes one or more horizontal automatic adjustments, if they are required.
At least one automatic adjustment occurs virtually every time I let the drone 'precision land' and I think I have, occasionally, seen two adjustments and possibly three. My 'normal' take off point is surrounded by trees and whilst a vertical climb from the take off point is safe enough, the trees seem too high i.e. the ground might still be 'out of range', for the a precision landing to feel safe i.e. the drone might be in one of those trees before the drone makes an adjustment.
Really well described!   

It's the same behavior on the Mavic 3...
2023-5-21
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 5-21 06:55
Meanwhile, in the real world, those places don't exist in many places when considering the need for VLOS sites and legal launch locations.

Footpaths tend to have trees, rivers and obstacles nearby.

I do not understand the point you are trying to make, if the drone comes back too high for the visual sensors to work then initial descent will be from a GPS alone determined point. That point is subject to all the inherent inaccuracies of the GPS system and the drone does not necessarily start its descent from precisely over the take off point.
One doesn't need to be in a wide open field for precision landing to work, all one needs is for the initial descent path from the flight home's possible stopping point to clear of obstacles. Once the drone can visually recognise where it is and where it should be it can move so that it is over the landing point, which gives it a clear descent path. In those circumstances my M2P/Z have been cm perfect. However if the initial descent path from a GPS only stopping point is out of the visual sensors range and contains obstacles then you need to take action, precision landing is not infallible.
2023-5-21
Use props
codroer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4490791 ft
Israel

extra camera = extra cost. most customers will not pay for that. plus its extra wight and battery usage for something not really useful   
2023-5-21
Use props
Sir Jackington
lvl.2
United Kingdom

codroer Posted at 5-21 11:33
extra camera = extra cost. most customers will not pay for that. plus its extra wight and battery usage for something not really useful

It already has a camera on the bottom?
2023-5-21
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

codroer Posted at 5-21 11:33

Theres a decent camera on the front of it ;)
2023-5-21
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Japan

Bashy Posted at 5-21 18:39
Theres a decent camera on the front of it ;)

Cant pitch down 90 degrees for a ground check though.

They dont need a high res colour images, they look for key points, textures to align.  That better suited to the downward cameras on the older drones.

Im not sure the Mini 3 has the required hardware though.
2023-5-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Switch to sports mode to disable OA and then land manually.
2023-5-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 5-21 19:29
Cant pitch down 90 degrees for a ground check though.

They dont need a high res colour images, they look for key points, textures to align.  That better suited to the downward cameras on the older drones.

Ive never noticed that it cant look straight down before and i use the camera myself to land it
2023-5-22
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Japan

Bashy Posted at 5-22 03:06
Ive never noticed that it cant look straight down before and i use the camera myself to land it

It can but its not going to do that on takeoff or landing as it stops the operator using it.

A full colour camera really isnt what you want there for pattern matching.
2023-5-22
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Japan

DAFlys Posted at 5-22 02:15
Switch to sports mode to disable OA and then land manually.

Thats great if you actually have control of the drone.

Which twice for me i didnt until landing and power cycling it.
2023-5-22
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Bashy Posted at 5-20 17:50
Whilst this is true, RTK it is not, bot 100m for none RTK is a tad too much ;)

The Precision Landing capability is there as it would take a photo of the landing zone during take-off, its down to whether or not the drone has enough resources to analyse this information during the landing process.

It is rough data given on the basis of different hardware and environment. In general, the accuracy depends on the positioning accuracy of the GPS. Generally, the accuracy of GPS is provided up to the meter level.
Regarding the precision landing feature, it may have some differences among aircraft. However, we confirmed with engineers and were told that DJI Mini3 Pro does have the precision landing feature. I will dig into the differences and get back.
2023-5-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 5-22 04:37
It is rough data given on the basis of different hardware and environment. In general, the accuracy depends on the positioning accuracy of the GPS. Generally, the accuracy of GPS is provided up to the meter level.
Regarding the precision landing feature, it may have some differences among aircraft. However, we confirmed with engineers and were told that DJI Mini3 Pro does have the precision landing feature. I will dig into the differences and get back.

Thanks, Its certainly not precision landing when comparing to say the P4P, whereas the latter can land nigh on perfectly to the H on the landing pad, the Mini 3 Pro cant even hit the landing pad.

I should also add that with say the P4P, you have to actually enable Precision Landing else its just the standard landing of which is about on par with the Mini 3 Pro
2023-5-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 5-22 03:12
It can but its not going to do that on takeoff or landing as it stops the operator using it.

Make up ya mind, ya said it cant pitch down, now ya saying it can?

Also why would the OP need to use the camera once landing has been initiated?

Doesn't the P4P lower the camera automatically to face the ground on landing?

To be fair, i cannot remember, its been a wee while since i have had that out to play, I do recall that its auto take-off with precision landing enabled, ascends to a height much higher than the Mini 3 Pro and hovers there, I am even less certain but it may even lower the camera for take off too.

Either that or i am remembering very much incorrectly, although i must be getting this info from somewhere and the only drones i have or had are the P4P, Mini 2 and Mini 3 Pro

EDIT: I have just watched an old video (5 years plus) on YT and the P4P didn't change the camera tilt either on take-off or landing, so i have not got a clue where i got that idea from unless it came in with an update since that video was made, only way to find out would be to test it, heck, it might have even been on the Mini 2 for all i can remember lol :/ But the take-off height i did get right, it goes up to about 19ft when precision landing is enabled.

2023-5-22
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 5-22 03:12
It can but its not going to do that on takeoff or landing as it stops the operator using it.

"A full colour camera really isn't what you want there for pattern matching."

Interesting, are you saying the downward looking cameras of the sensors are monochrome/B&W ?
If so and the explanation is short enough to be a post can you explain why B&W is better for pattern matching?
2023-5-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 5-22 03:13
Thats great if you actually have control of the drone.

Which twice for me i didnt until landing and power cycling it.

Well I think you have a different issue.    One where precision landing wouldn't really help you.
2023-5-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-22 19:37
"A full colour camera really isn't what you want there for pattern matching."

Interesting, are you saying the downward looking cameras of the sensors are monochrome/B&W ?

It could well be down to the contrast in just the 2 colours, i.e. black and white, if it was in colour there would be RGB and the various shades of, therefore, more computing power required.

Thats just a guess mind, prob best to see what he says lol
2023-5-23
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cheers Bashy.
2023-5-23
Use props
1234Next >