Altitude, RTH, ASL AGL etc...
2885 15 2023-5-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FP33
lvl.1
Flight distance : 73573 ft
United Kingdom

Apols if you have seen this before but my query that was made in an 'Altitude'  sub-thread received no response so here's a fresh thread...

If  I take off from a cliff that's 150 m above sea level (ASL) and get to an altitude of 100 m above ground level (AGL) (so now 250 m ASL) and I am near a vertical / sheer cliff  and then fly over the cliff edge so that my actual altitude is now 250 m ASL,   if RTH is set to 100 m, and max height set to 120 m (comply with regs) will the Pro-3  ascend to 250 m  using RTH  before it hits the cliff edge ?

If it will avoid the cliff and ascend to 250 m, how does it figure that out ?

Tnx.

2023-5-20
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi

Forget all about ASL and AGL etc

AT takeoff the drone barometric height is reset to ZERO, this ZERO height is the reference height for a flight.
RTH setting is the height set in the app above the zero reference height.
Max height is set also in the app, again referenced to that takeoff zero height.

At max altitude and/or max height reached the OA is automatically to OFF.....

cheers
JJB

2023-5-20
Use props
FP33
lvl.1
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 5-20 04:22
Hi

Forget all about ASL and AGL etc

Thank you JJB (Captain)... that's very helpful.  I should have deduced that myself as altimeters typically use Baro. but didn't even think that the drone itself had inbuilt baro capability.  Sounds like I can fly without a fear of a cliff collision !

Truly amazing what fits in that little aircraft.

Cheers.
2023-5-20
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

FP33 Posted at 5-20 05:02
Thank you JJB (Captain)... that's very helpful.  I should have deduced that myself as altimeters typically use Baro. but didn't even think that the drone itself had inbuilt baro capability.  Sounds like I can fly without a fear of a cliff collision !

Truly amazing what fits in that little aircraft.

Hi,

My pleasure to help.

Don`t forget to check your compass heading in the fly app map view (blue arrow) and check this heading with your actual heading before take-off. If not the same : DO NOT FLY *.

* power off drone, new position, power ON and check again.

cheers
JJB
2023-5-20
Use props
FP33
lvl.1
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 5-20 05:53
Hi,

My pleasure to help.

Thanks for that reminder JJB...  all good.  Happy landings !  ;-)
2023-5-20
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there. Thanks for reaching out. As mentioned in the comment above, the maximum flight altitude and RTH altitude set by the user are both relative altitude, which is calculated from the ground at the time of takeoff. Please reach us back here should you have further concerns.
2023-5-22
Use props
DroneApe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459954 ft
United States

Hmmm.

JJB is correct from an RTH standpoint.  But…

I don’t want to confuse you.  In your hypothetical example, you described flying your drone 250 meters (820 feet) above the water's surface. If you try that in the USA, it’s highly illegal.  For the sake of your example, the surface of the sea would be considered the same as ground.  And AGL does matter.  Your drone can’t exceed 400 feet above the ground and your drone can’t exceed 400 feet above the sea.  In your example, your drone is exceeding 400 feet above the sea.

There’s only three ways your drone can legally exceed 400 feet above the ground or 400 feet above water in USA:

1. You have a waiver from the FAA
2. If you're a certified Part 107 pilot, under Part 107, you can climb to 400 feet above the top of a structure (e.g. cell phone tower) if your drone remains within 400 feet horizontally of the structure.
3. You’re taking emergency evasive action to avoid a collision with a manned aircraft, you can temporarily exceed 400 feet if that is the only course of action available, until the emergency has passed.  

It’s possible UK laws are different, but I’m not so sure about that.
2023-5-23
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DroneApe Posted at 5-23 13:30
Hmmm.

JJB is correct from an RTH standpoint.  But…

We have the same law here too
2023-5-23
Use props
DroneApe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459954 ft
United States

Bashy Posted at 5-23 13:55
We have the same law here too

I’m going to try to explain it a better way for OP.

I live on a lake (I really do live on a lake).  My house is on a hill (it really is on a hill).  My driveway where I launch the drone is 50 feet higher in elevation than the lake surface.  When I launch the drone from my driveway and  I fly the drone over the lake, and I look down at my controller’s screen, I can’t exceed 350 feet.  Because if I was flying the drone over the lake and the controller screen said 400, I would actually be flying the drone 450 feet above the water (which is illegal).

Someone else can probably explain it better.  I’m not that good at explaining stuff.  
2023-5-23
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The simplest way to judge this is to imagine a 400ft long string tied to the bottom of the drone. For pilots to whom the 400ft AGL limit applies the string should be able to touch the ground....or water, directly beneath the drone.
2023-5-23
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

What if the lake is in the mountains? Then you can't fly at all?
2023-5-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Drone.Hunter Posted at 5-23 16:59
What if the lake is in the mountains? Then you can't fly at all?

What ??
Of course you can fly.
You can fly anywhere ... just ensure the drone is <400 feet above whatever is below it.
2023-5-23
Use props
FP33
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DroneApe Posted at 5-23 14:21
I’m going to try to explain it a better way for OP.

That's a very good explanation DroneApe and Sean-bumble-bee and I get it 100%.  The UK also has the same ceiling restriction,  This takes me back to my original query (and it's not a hypothetical because I live on a cliff by the sea)...

1: from a legality point of view, (and I have to admit that I hadn't thought about this), the instant that I fly over the cliff edge, I am violating flying-rules.... because I would have to descend instantly to < 400 ft. which is not possible to do in an instant.  Similarly on the way back again, it's  not possible to get to a  'flight level' of eg 100 ft over the land on the cliff 'in an 'instant'.  So, am I right to conclude that flying over a cliff edge cannot be done without violating rules ?

2: back to my original question... IF I could descend to 400 ft ASL once over the cliff in an instant and I droned around over the water at 400 ft ASL and then went for RTH (which has altitude set at 350 ft and max-Alt at 400 ft)  would the drone crash into the cliff edge - and my only way to stop is is to take full manual control, ascend to an illegal flight level, get back over the cliff edge and then resume RTH again ?

Tnx everyone for their analysis of this  scenario - which as I said is not a hypothetical.
2023-5-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

FP33 Posted at 5-23 22:36
That's a very good explanation DroneApe and Sean-bumble-bee and I get it 100%.  The UK also has the same ceiling restriction,  This takes me back to my original query (and it's not a hypothetical because I live on a cliff by the sea)...

1: from a legality point of view, (and I have to admit that I hadn't thought about this), the instant that I fly over the cliff edge, I am violating flying-rules.... because I would have to descend instantly to < 400 ft. which is not possible to do in an instant.  Similarly on the way back again, it's  not possible to get to a  'flight level' of eg 100 ft over the land on the cliff 'in an 'instant'.  So, am I right to conclude that flying over a cliff edge cannot be done without violating rules ?

That's a very good explanation DroneApe and Sean-bumble-bee and I get it 100%.
Given your Q2, it seems that you didn't get it at all.

1:  So, am I right to conclude that flying over a cliff edge cannot be done without violating rules ?
Only if you want to be stupidly literal about the rules.
If you were flying 10 ft out from the cliff edge, you are never going to encounter any planes so it wouldn't matter and no-one is ever coing to chase you about it.

2: back to my original question... IF I could descend to 400 ft ASL once over the cliff in an instant and I droned around over the water at 400 ft ASL and then went for RTH (which has altitude set at 350 ft and max-Alt at 400 ft)  would the drone crash into the cliff edge.
No .. because all heights including RTH height are relative to the launch point.
Home = 0 ft.
You would only need to set RTH height to 20 or 30 feet and it would still clear the clifftop to come home.

2023-5-24
Use props
FP33
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 5-24 00:19
That's a very good explanation DroneApe and Sean-bumble-bee and I get it 100%.
Given your Q2, it seems that you didn't get it at all.

Interesting and thanks for comment Labroides ... so if thinking practically and not theoretically, what distance from a cliff edge would be considered 'reasonable' to ascend to flight-level  eg 600 ft ASL... 100m / 500m / or any distance when over water from the cliff and still be reasonably within  the 'rules' because flying requires visibility of drone at all times, so, so long as you can see it, that would be considered reasonable.   And because I would see / hear  any search & rescue helicopters who sometimes (maybe twice a month) seem to pass en-route,  near to cliffs in sufficient time to descend quickly to a safe level ?
2023-5-24
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FP33 Posted at 5-24 01:03
Interesting and thanks for comment Labroides ... so if thinking practically and not theoretically, what distance from a cliff edge would be considered 'reasonable' to ascend to flight-level  eg 600 ft ASL... 100m / 500m / or any distance  when over water from the cliff and still be reasonably within  the 'rules' because flying requires visibility of drone at all times, so, so long as you can see it, that would be considered reasonable.   And because I would see / hear  any search & rescue helicopters who sometimes (maybe twice a month) seem to pass en-route,  near to cliffs in sufficient time to descend quickly to a safe level ?

If the applicable rule is 400ft AGL e.g. USA for recreational flyers, then, from a legal stand point, I doubt that  there is any acceptable distance from a truly vertical cliff within which the drone could legally break that 400ft AGL ceiling.
However in some places the rule is that the 400ft long piece of string must be able to touch the surface of the earth somewhere. In such places you could climb to any AGL providing the drone was within 400ft of some point of the cliff's face. I think the rationale is that a manned aircraft should not be within 'x'ft or the cliff's face etc.etc..
To be honest I can never remember if the UK is strict AGL or the latter. Europe is, I think, the latter. BUT the CAA page https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/drone-code/where-you-can-fly  
states
"Your drone or model aircraft must never be more than 120m (400ft) from the closest point of the earth’s surface.If you fly where the ground falls or rises, such as over hills, mountains or cliffs, you may need to adjust your flight path so that your drone or model aircraft is never more than 120m (400ft) from the closest point of the earth’s surface.[size=1.1875]"
In reality though, if the intention is to fly off the top of a cliff and out beyond the drop off, would it not be better to set the RTH height to the drone's minimum RTH height? There is unlikely to be any obstacle that is taller than that between the home point and the cliff edge. If connection was lost whilst out over the sea and providing it was beyond any threshold distances, then the drone is going to climb to launch-point + RTH-height height. I would suggest that as soon as the control connection was re-established the drone be lowered, if necessary, to be in accordance with the rules but note that if it was lowered whilst flying home in an RTH (check whether that would cancel the RTH, I don't think so but check) you might have to manually command a climb as it approached the cliff (again check blah blah blah).
All the above said, if the 'cliff' is neither vertical nor overhanging then the strictly AGL ceiling follows the slope, how many places in the UK have truly vertical or overhanging cliff faces that are taller than 400ft?
If the S&R helicopters fly through the area you are thinking of flying in then I would
a) keep in mind that you may need to ditch the drone i.e. CSC stop the motors to get out of the helicopter's way in time and that would require you switching the "emergency motor stop" option to "Anytime". It's not safe to fly the drone with the option permanently set to "Anytime". One of the posters on the Mavic Pilots used to fly at RC club site that flew at an S&R areodrome, the rule was that if the alarm sounded any RC model flying was to be flown into the ground i.e. crashed. En-route to a search or rescue I would suspect an S&R helicopter is going to be travelling at a fair lick.
b) question the wisdom of flying in the area.

2023-5-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules