Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-26 04:41
Yep,     thats the way for any of the boats in the creeks and sand flats.    I did make some years ago a tide clock.

Man, that's an impressive tide clock.  
2023-5-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 5-26 13:09
Oh dear. Better luck next time. It has been quite windy in here lately,too. Did see a small air vortex, too. Luckily nothing threatening, but clearly noticeable by eyes.

Is that what the Americans call a dust devil.
2023-5-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-26 13:11
Man, that's an impressive tide clock.

To be fair the insert is something that you purchase as part of a kit,    the reset was machined out of some of that old mahogany that I go some years ago which is almost gone now.  
2023-5-27
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DAFlys Posted at 5-27 00:01
Is that what the Americans call a dust devil.

Not entirely sure, I think their average size in there is much bigger than in here.
2023-5-28
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-27 23:59
To be fair the insert is something that you purchase as part of a kit,    the reset was machined out of some of that old mahogany that I go some years ago which is almost gone now.

Nice that you have the skills and tools needed to make something that nice.  I was reading an estate sale bulletin and it listed a mahogany roll top desk along with multiple pieces of other furniture.  I didn't go to the sale so I have no idea what that sold for but mahogany furniture tends to be on the very expensive side here.
2023-5-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-28 16:58
Nice that you have the skills and tools needed to make something that nice.  I was reading an estate sale bulletin and it listed a mahogany roll top desk along with multiple pieces of other furniture.  I didn't go to the sale so I have no idea what that sold for but mahogany furniture tends to be on the very expensive side here.

Many of the old species of mahogany are now banned for sale here,   even as second hand timber.    I have a friend that has some lovely pieces that he's been hanging on to for the right job.   
2023-5-29
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-29 00:36
Many of the old species of mahogany are now banned for sale here,   even as second hand timber.    I have a friend that has some lovely pieces that he's been hanging on to for the right job.

Not banned here but very price prohibitive to get and use as most of it comes from Latin America.
2023-5-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-29 03:16
Not banned here but very price prohibitive to get and use as most of it comes from Latin America.

IIRC correctly,  when Brazil banned the logging and export of Brazilian mahogany the export of "other" tropical hardwoods surged.    Of course it was an illicit trade in the wood.  
2023-5-29
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-29 03:20
IIRC correctly,  when Brazil banned the logging and export of Brazilian mahogany the export of "other" tropical hardwoods surged.    Of course it was an illicit trade in the wood.

Seems Bolivia and Peru are the largest sources for Mahogany in Latin American.
2023-5-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-29 04:47
Seems Bolivia and Peru are the largest sources for Mahogany in Latin American.

Quite possibly,  my information is probably a bit old now.
2023-5-29
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-29 23:40
Quite possibly,  my information is probably a bit old now.

It seems the price of all wood and wood products took a recent price increase.  I'm sure all the housing development going on as increased the demand for wood and other associated building products.  I heard there was a 2-3 week backlog on getting windows in stock in prep for installation at one of the new housing developments.  
2023-5-30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-30 03:07
It seems the price of all wood and wood products took a recent price increase.  I'm sure all the housing development going on as increased the demand for wood and other associated building products.  I heard there was a 2-3 week backlog on getting windows in stock in prep for installation at one of the new housing developments.

I was chatting with the guy whos working on the piers the other day and a pallet of the wood he buys for the pier legs just dropped by 1/3 in price saving him £300 so he was quite pleased by that,  but he buys trade and I dont think the stores are passing on any saving yet.
2023-5-30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-30 22:48
I was chatting with the guy whos working on the piers the other day and a pallet of the wood he buys for the pier legs just dropped by 1/3 in price saving him £300 so he was quite pleased by that,  but he buys trade and I dont think the stores are passing on any saving yet.

Yeah, quantity buyers are probably the first to reap the benefits of any price drop.  Mobile saw mills have become very popular lately.  Unfortunately, you still need to dry the wood prior to use.
2023-5-31
Use props
Codgerzh2
First Officer
Flight distance : 15567024 ft
United Kingdom

Busy boatyard
2023-8-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain