GPS Module for Goggles 2
3303 12 2023-5-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
YangChaoLi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 691066 ft
United States

As many posts have already expressed, having to tether a mobile device to the Goggles 2 to make Remote-ID work is annoying. I painfully read through the FAA 460 page document on the requirements to understand why this is needed so technically it makes sense as the Goggles 2 nor compatabile remotes do not include a GPS module so there isn't a way to actively send the 'control station' location and altitude to the Avata to broadcast without a 3rd party device to provide that data. I also understand that the Goggles Integra include GPS so this is a no longer a requirement but I just purchased the Avata Fly More combo 2 weeks before the Integra Goggles were announced and DJI isn't offering a trade-in credit so I like many other Avata fliers are stuck with tethering.
However, there is no reason why a 3rd party USB GPS dongle couldn't be used to provide this same data. There are plenty of them on the market already, most USB-A, that use the UBX-7020 or UBX-M8030 chips and are less then $20. All you need is the firmware on the Goggles 2 to be updated to support it. Of course, there would be a small cost on DJI to do that but does it hurt to ask for it? Optimally, DJI would produce it's own USB-C Mini version of it so the OTG cable wouldn't be needed but how many of those would need to be sold for DJI to do it? If there was enough users that pre-commited to buying it would that be enough?

2023-5-22
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

you're not stuck; you can sell your goggles 2 and purchase the integra if you are not happy with the performance of your current setup.  besides, if there were no integra, we would all be in the same boat.  dji has already provided you with a solution to remote id with goggle 2 and it's works just fine; why would they do anything else?  the good news is the goggles 2 remote id debacle wears off in about 2 to 3 years so hopefully that unforeseeable misstep can be put behind us soon.
2023-5-22
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there. Thanks for reaching out. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. Your feedback is important to us. Rest assured that it will reach the designated team for attention. Please stay tuned to the DJI website (www.dji.com) for official updates. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-5-28
Use props
YangChaoLi
lvl.2
United States

The Saint Posted at 5-22 17:13
you're not stuck; you can sell your goggles 2 and purchase the integra if you are not happy with the performance of your current setup.  besides, if there were no integra, we would all be in the same boat.  dji has already provided you with a solution to remote id with goggle 2 and it's works just fine; why would they do anything else?  the good news is the goggles 2 remote id debacle wears off in about 2 to 3 years so hopefully that unforeseeable misstep can be put behind us soon.

As I mentioned I realize I can purchase other equipment that wouldn’t require tethering but that isn’t really the point here. The ask is for a service enhancement that is low cost but a great benefit for customers.

What do you mean this won’t be a problem in 2 or 3 years with the Goggles 2?
2023-5-29
Use props
YangChaoLi
lvl.2
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 5-28 04:17
Hi there. Thanks for reaching out. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. Your feedback is important to us. Rest assured that it will reach the designated team for attention. Please stay tuned to the DJI website (www.dji.com) for official updates. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Thank you and the team for considering this request.
2023-5-29
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

YangChaoLi Posted at 5-29 18:37
As I mentioned I realize I can purchase other equipment that wouldn’t require tethering but that isn’t really the point here. The ask is for a service enhancement that is low cost but a great benefit for customers.

What do you mean this won’t be a problem in 2 or 3 years with the Goggles 2?

can't explain it.  i said it was a debacle and a misstep but no one will remember it in 2 or 3 years so there's no need to fix it now.  do you remember the other debacle dji had several years ago?  no.  the proper way to handle the misstep is try not to repeat it.
2023-5-29
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

YangChaoLi Posted at 5-29 18:38
Thank you and the team for considering this request.

You're welcome. Have a great day!
2023-6-3
Use props
djiuser_FZoXwK4zCMoe
New

United States

DJI Tony Posted at 5-28 04:17

So my understanding if I'm someplace without cell service I can't open the DJI app, and therefore I can't fly my avata.  Is that correct?
2023-6-29
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_FZoXwK4zCMoe Posted at 6-29 18:54
So my understanding if I'm someplace without cell service I can't open the DJI app, and therefore I can't fly my avata.  Is that correct?

No cellphone service is required to fly the Avata.
2023-6-30
Use props
VladimirTalijan
lvl.1
Flight distance : 75640 ft
United States

My problem with this is that the Integra is worse than Goggles 2, so there is actually no choice if you want the best Goggles
2023-11-15
Use props
djiuser_YbGB9WlVSMHj
lvl.1

United States

VladimirTalijan Posted at 11-15 20:42
My problem with this is that the Integra is worse than Goggles 2, so there is actually no choice if you want the best Goggles

Agreed! Great quality... But why cut out one of the only redeeming features of the Integra when you create an "upgraded" goggles 2?! So now I've got multiple cables running off my headset into pockets ect. But I don't want to downgrade into a lesser quality headset. If there was even an adapter available that could be mounted on the band to give them a GPS location to the goggles instead of the cell phone and cable running into another pocket.
2023-11-18
Use props
Comtron
New
Flight distance : 78114 ft
United States

I would happily add myself to a list to pre-purchase a gps usb-c retrofit module for older goggles.  I don't go too terribly rural, but multiple cables dangling off me and increased battery drain were not what I signed up for.  If the bait and switch is government and regulation induced, and DJI ever wants me to purchase their product again, a retrofit with matching firmware update is a must.  I was on the fence about EXO and Autel, but it looks like my next bet will be building my own or getting an Exo drone or two.
2023-11-22
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Comtron Posted at 11-22 10:43
I would happily add myself to a list to pre-purchase a gps usb-c retrofit module for older goggles.  I don't go too terribly rural, but multiple cables dangling off me and increased battery drain were not what I signed up for.  If the bait and switch is government and regulation induced, and DJI ever wants me to purchase their product again, a retrofit with matching firmware update is a must.  I was on the fence about EXO and Autel, but it looks like my next bet will be building my own or getting an Exo drone or two.

Thank you for the feedback. This will be forwarded to the related team as a suggestion. we appreciate your valued support.
2023-12-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules