Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mail delivery by drones experiment in Finland
1088 8 2015-8-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Consult
lvl.2
Finland

A short term experiment will be done 2.-5.9.2015 to deliver mail in Helsinki, Finland.
Only packages from an electronics store to a island close to city centre will be delivered as a test by drones, regular mail like letters and newspapers will still be shipped by boat.

http://www.tivi.fi/Kaikki_uutise ... asta-pohtii-3418912

Use whatever online translator to get the idea. The company that will be delivering the packages is one that does asset inspection like powerlines and railways by UAV:s so the hardware should be good to go.
2015-8-26
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Any suggestions on how to get this link translated ?
2015-8-27
Use props
Consult
lvl.2
Finland

GB44 Posted at 2015-8-27 22:09
Any suggestions on how to get this link translated ?

translate.google.com

Copy and paste link -> translate

Bottom line is that as many other countries aim to restrict use of UAV:s, Finland is actually doing the opposite with our officials giving green light to experiments like this.
2015-8-27
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I struggle though to see how the use of UAVs for delivery of parcels by Amazon or any other potential parcel delivery business can ensure safety when flying UAVs out of visual line of sight.  How can the Pilot ensure a safe landing area.  What if a child etc. was to run after the UAV when it is landing from behind the camera out of view of the Pilot and tried to catch or grab the UAV - potential major accident.  Just struggling to understand how this can possibly be managed safely.  

I understand it may be very economical to do this and it is good that Finland is promoting and considering new technology, I just have serious concerns on the reality of these operations.
2015-8-28
Use props
Ph02on
lvl.3
Flight distance : 75673 ft
United Kingdom

GB44 Posted at 2015-8-28 11:16
I struggle though to see how the use of UAVs for delivery of parcels by Amazon or any other potentia ...

I think you have to look at it in a slightly different light GB.  I can never envisage door to door delivery unless each house had a cordoned off landing pad, inaccessable to 'innocent bystanders'.  I could see this working if an area or postcode had its own segregated and isolated cordon type landing area for goods or services to be delivered to then be distributed or delivered in a traditional fashion.  Interesting experiment for sure.
2015-8-28
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

GB44 Posted at 2015-8-28 12:16
I struggle though to see how the use of UAVs for delivery of parcels by Amazon or any other potentia ...

This works the same way as with cars and smoking ...

If people want it enough ... they don´t care if it is dangerous or not !
2015-8-28
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Ph02on Posted at 2015-8-28 12:07
I think you have to look at it in a slightly different light GB.  I can never envisage door to doo ...

I agree, if it can provide a method of delivering e.g emergency supplies to remote areas or areas that have specific landing areas this may be workable with strict operational procedures during landing and take-off, but what happens in between take-off and landing when flying out of visual line of site.

I can see the benefit of UAVs for delivering items, but think in reality it has to be based upon a much larger platform not as big as the military predators/ reapers,  but some fixed wing option operated in the same way by commercial pilots, as there are just too many risks associated with smaller platforms such as the DJI platforms or other small scale UAV platform under 20kg.

It may be something to consider for Finland though in delivering to remote locations, so I hope they get it right.
2015-8-28
Use props
Consult
lvl.2
Finland

Info on this experiment by the company flying the drones(in english):
http://www.sharperpost.com/en/

2015-9-1
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1036959 ft