Any idea hy my footage is stuttering when camera is facing downwards
1402 23 2023-5-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tehvlb
lvl.1
Flight distance : 90331 ft
United Kingdom

as title ask, it seems from the following videos that when my camera is facing downwards my footage is stuttery, filmed fps 30 auto mode

no filters

have included the srt files incase it sheds any light (no punintended) on it

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AmFY2lbNlYmckJg6o1wGEXbTKIb2dg?e=qu7Ma0

very much appreciate your feedback, im going on a fw holidays this year and the drone is going to be essential to it.

Thank in advance

2023-5-23
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

You need to use ND filters so you match the shutter speed exactly double the FPS you are shooting.
For 30fps footage you should be shooting at 1/60th of sec. This will produce natural motion blur that will solve your problem.

Your problem is getting multiplied by fast jerky moment of the camera & drone.

For any meaningful footage you need to slow down both the camera & drone moment.
2023-5-23
Use props
tehvlb
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Ranjan Posted at 5-23 23:57
You need to use ND filters so you match the shutter speed exactly double the FPS you are shooting.
For 30fps footage you should be shooting at 1/60th of sec. This will produce natural motion blur that will solve your problem.

Hey, thanks for the reply, I was originally using ND filters however after reading posts and youtube videos about how they dont really apply to drones as they are flying at distance i didnt use them last night.

I guess though that because i was quite close to the trees mabea an ND filter would be required.

Doesnt explain the non stutteting when i am flying wit camera facing forward and the stuttering when im flying high and camera facing downward (as there is nothing close to me that would require motion blur.

so confused
2023-5-24
Use props
Frank071
lvl.4
Flight distance : 128586 ft
Netherlands

In the first video (with the people on bikes) I see some slight stuttering in the beginning as well (when not facing downwards). What SD card are you using?  Is it one of the supported ones? Have you checked the speed it can reach (using a tool) to make sure it is not counterfeit?
2023-5-24
Use props
tehvlb
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Frank071 Posted at 5-24 01:32
In the first video (with the people on bikes) I see some slight stuttering in the beginning as well (when not facing downwards). What SD card are you using?  Is it one of the supported ones? Have you checked the speed it can reach (using a tool) to make sure it is not counterfeit?

Hey,thank you for your reply

i use Samsung 256GB PRO Plus from Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/256GB-Samsung-MicroSDXC-120MB-Adapter/dp/B09D3N8XBH

straight from the samsng store on Amazon.
2023-5-24
Use props
tehvlb
lvl.1
United Kingdom

So I tested the 3 SD cards i have and these are the results, gotta say i am not impressed given they are all around equal but the best performing one is an ultra and the other 2 are rated A2 V30

Samsung Pro Plus A2 V30

Sandisk Extreme V30 A2

Sandisk Ultra

Reviews on amazon of the 2 x Samsung Pro Plus A2 V30's i have are reporting the following

Do i have dodgy cards?  I am testing them plugged directly into the SD card slot of my Laptop but get the same when i use a SD usb dongle.
2023-5-24
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. We will coordinate this with our relevant team for clarification. We will keep you posted once we received an update. Thank you for your understanding.
2023-5-24
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Thank you for patiently waiting. The reason for this is that the gimbal's lower mechanical endpoint angle is small. If the aircraft is flying backward when the gimbal is angled downward by 90 degrees, the gimbal may crash to the endpoint due to the aircraft's angle inclination. To avoid this, the gimbal will automatically adjust the attitude and rise to prevent video shake due to endpoint crashing. This issue may occur when the aircraft is flying forwards and then brakes. Therefore, if you set the gimbal angle facing down, there might be a stuttering video or the gimbal auto moving up. This is a normal situation. Thank you for your understanding.
2023-5-24
Use props
tehvlb
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 5-24 23:06
Thank you for patiently waiting. The reason for this is that the gimbal's lower mechanical endpoint angle is small. If the aircraft is flying backward when the gimbal is angled downward by 90 degrees, the gimbal may crash to the endpoint due to the aircraft's angle inclination. To avoid this, the gimbal will automatically adjust the attitude and rise to prevent video shake due to endpoint crashing. This issue may occur when the aircraft is flying forwards and then brakes. Therefore, if you set the gimbal angle facing down, there might be a stuttering video or the gimbal auto moving up. This is a normal situation. Thank you for your understanding.

Hey, thanks for your post

Sorry but if you watched the videos then you would have seen that
1)        The aircraft was not flying backwards
2)        The Drone did not rise in altitude at any point
3)        During the stuttering the aircraft was in motion all the time, there was no ‘braking’

So just for clarity, it is expected that on the mini 3 pro a video will stutter when the camera is facing downwards?

If what you are saying is right then how come in the following footage there is no stutter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9at--uRebo  Cut to 5:52 for top down video, he is doing exactly what i am, flying forwards above trees and there is no stuttering nor any o the situations you explain above

I will investigate this further tonight with an ND filter as suggested by another member in this thread but your post is worrying me a lot, if the mini 3 pro cannot handle top down footage then it will be returned, what is the point of giving us the ability to face the camera downwards if the expected behaviour is that the footage becomes stuttery
2023-5-24
Use props
Frank071
lvl.4
Flight distance : 128586 ft
Netherlands

I checked some of your other videos, but couldn't really find much stuttering. What you can try to determine if it is the SD card is to use the internal storage of the drone. It's not much, but sufficient for a test. You could try to let your drone hover at a certain height, tilt the camera such that you see a bit of sky and (mostly) ground and buildings and then spin around (while recording). This will create a video with fairly rapid changing scenery. Do this twice: once on internal storage and once on the SD card (you can change the storage location whilst in the air if I am correct). Of course you can do a similar test with your original problem (ie. camera facing downwards).
2023-5-24
Use props
tehvlb
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Frank071 Posted at 5-24 23:53
I checked some of your other videos, but couldn't really find much stuttering. What you can try to determine if it is the SD card is to use the internal storage of the drone. It's not much, but sufficient for a test. You could try to let your drone hover at a certain height, tilt the camera such that you see a bit of sky and (mostly) ground and buildings and then spin around (while recording). This will create a video with fairly rapid changing scenery. Do this twice: once on internal storage and once on the SD card (you can change the storage location whilst in the air if I am correct). Of course you can do a similar test with your original problem (ie. camera facing downwards).

Thanks frank i will give that a go tonight

Appreciate it mate
2023-5-25
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

tehvlb Posted at 5-24 23:32
Hey, thanks for your post

Sorry but if you watched the videos then you would have seen that

Thank you for your response and we totally understand your concern. We will coordinate this with our designated team for attention. Please keep us posted with the result of the test flight for additional information. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
2023-5-25
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

tehvlb Posted at 5-24 00:03
Hey, thanks for the reply, I was originally using ND filters however after reading posts and youtube videos about how they dont really apply to drones as they are flying at distance i didnt use them last night.

I guess though that because i was quite close to the trees mabea an ND filter would be required.

This should help you understand various factors which cause juddering/shuttering

2023-5-25
Use props
tehvlb
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 5-25 18:24
Thank you for your response and we totally understand your concern. We will coordinate this with our designated team for attention. Please keep us posted with the result of the test flight for additional information. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

This is a top down flight with no filter and using the inbuild sd card

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AmFY2lbNlYmckJkJjH3HoAo2HpbwZg?e=Wnnjex

This is a top down with a Freewell nd64 filter at 30 meters

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AmFY2lbNlYmckJkAYc0itTkaFOsbGg?e=LHb2sr

this s the same but at 60 meters

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AmFY2lbNlYmckJh4_3hQcOloGTEfZA?e=SDtI7q

This is forward flight with nd64 filter

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AmFY2lbNlYmckJh72whL11w3Frdm5A?e=fDvO9e

specifically video DJI_0007.MP4 the stuttering when i am flying past the building is very noticeable to me.

So even with the inbuild storage there is alot of stuttering,

2023-5-25
Use props
tehvlb
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Ranjan Posted at 5-25 21:24
This should help you understand various factors which cause juddering/shuttering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nGi2ecupag

Hey,

I know you advocate ND filters and as you will see in my latest post (with footage taken last night) I used both Freewell ND4 and ND64 whilst flying (you can see by the change in shutter speed) and although the forward flying flight did produce motion blur passing the building there was also stuttering whilst flying past the building. it did not in anyway stop the staggering amount of stutter whilst flying top down above the trees.

Also, i reached out to this guy

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;page=1#pid3053014

and as you will see he doesn't use a filter on that movie but doesn't have any stuttering either.

2023-5-25
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

tehvlb Posted at 5-25 22:58

For God sake stop moving that drone so fast, what are you trying to achieve by such speed ? Are you aware of rolling shutter & why certain drones from Dji use mechanical shutter ?

You are going round & round in discussions on something which are not the problem but not understanding the base problem.

The video you are comparing has the same judder its less noticeable bcoz his speeds are very slow in cine mode, where as you last video you seem to be running with the drone.

2023-5-26
Use props
tehvlb
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Ranjan Posted at 5-26 00:15
For God sake stop moving that drone so fast, what are you trying to achieve by such speed ? Are you aware of rolling shutter & why certain drones from Dji use mechanical shutter ?

You are going round & round in discussions on something which are not the problem but not understanding the base problem.

"For God sake stop moving that drone so fast, what are you trying to achieve by such speed ? Are you aware of rolling shutter & why certain drones from Dji use mechanical shutter ?"

Calm down mate, no i have no idea what rolling shutter is not why certain drones would use a mechanical shutter, That is why i bought and am posting in the mini series section, i a beginner so those terms mean nothing to me.  A simple "try moving your drone slower would have sufficed"

"You are going round & round in discussions on something which are not the problem but not understanding the base problem."

Well i posted this thread and asked another guy in another thread what SD card he used, not quite going around and around.

Clearly i am trying to understand the base problem or i would not be on here asking for others advice.

i took advice from another member on this thread to eliminate my SD card being a problem (thanks @frank) and tested it out.  Had the next bit of advice been "Try flying slower in your top down shots" then i would have taken that advice.

If your tolerance to beginners questions is so very low then why don't you save yourself the grief and stick to the advanced drone section. Then at least you wouldn't make newbies think twice about asking questions.
2023-5-26
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

tehvlb Posted at 5-26 00:35
"For God sake stop moving that drone so fast, what are you trying to achieve by such speed ? Are you aware of rolling shutter & why certain drones from Dji use mechanical shutter ?"

Calm down mate, no i have no idea what rolling shutter is not why certain drones would use a mechanical shutter, That is why i bought and am posting in the mini series section, i a beginner so those terms mean nothing to me.  A simple "try moving your drone slower would have sufficed"

The expression "For God's sake, don't do this" is not inherently negative or offensive to my limited understanding of English language. (Although Its not my 1st language)

It is an idiomatic phrase that is commonly used to express frustration, urgency, or a strong plea for someone to refrain from doing something. In my case I strongly advice you to stop running around with that drone top down & wonder why its shutterting, it will shutter, I repeat it will shutter even if I do the same mistake.

My 1st reply to your post I clearly mentioned to slow down & I very well understood you are new to drone photography, so I personally do not have any problems with beginner or their questions. In fact I was a beginner at some point of time too, I am still a beginner for so many topics which I intend to learn now in my 60s.

Try flying slower will not help it will still shutter.

You need to follow exactly what I say.

Post your video now onward to youtube & share its link here in the forum, that will give us better understanding.

Use ND filter to ensure that your shutter speeds are exactly double the FPS (refer 2nd post in this thread) & you are getting desired correct exposure in top down shot.

After take off switch to cine mode & shoot top down shots in cine mode which will create a motion blur effect thus removing the shuttering from your top down footage.

Once you full fill these conditions your footage be shuttering free as per the law of physics (which I am not getting into as it is bit complex)

Hope this helps.
2023-5-26
Use props
tehvlb
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Ranjan Posted at 5-26 01:04
The expression "For God's sake, don't do this" is not inherently negative or offensive to my limited understanding of English language. (Although Its not my 1st language)

It is an idiomatic phrase that is commonly used to express frustration, urgency, or a strong plea for someone to refrain from doing something. In my case I strongly advice you to stop running around with that drone top down & wonder why its shutterting, it will shutter, I repeat it will shutter even if I do the same mistake.

My apologies, you did indeed suggest i slow down the drone, i did not pick that up so forgive me for not seeing it.

Thank you for the rest for your advice, i will take another shot at it tonight

2023-5-26
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Thank you for your feedback. We will coordinate this with our relevant team for clarification. Thank you for your understanding.
2023-5-27
Use props
tehvlb
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Ranjan Posted at 5-26 01:04

Hey

https://youtu.be/d22fGLZ6MqI

https://youtu.be/0u4fF1IUcQI

https://youtu.be/gmPc0wa12eo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmYNLwn3pzI

all shot at cine 4 meters per second with nd64

one thing i noticed is that when i playback the videos with VLC it shows sturrering but when i play back with windows media player it shows very minimal stuttering.

thanks for your help
2023-5-31
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

This looks perfectly fine on youtube, I don't see any issues except the speed of 4mps is still bit fast to my tatse of slow & cinematic footage.

This also looks fine

This surely has problem due to faster drone speed, shoot this to 1 meter per sec & you will get a meaningful footage.

In this clip even slowest cine mode speed cant solve the problem now as you have hit the max limit of technology with mini 3 pro, for this cinema line of drones are made which has mechanical shutter to solve this problem.

Hope this helps, now go & fly to shoot some meaningful footage & share.
Good Luck!  

2023-5-31
Use props
tehvlb
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Ranjan Posted at 5-31 03:11
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d22fGLZ6MqI
This looks perfectly fine on youtube, I don't see any issues except the speed of 4mps is still bit fast to my tatse of slow & cinematic footage.

Thank you very much for your perseverance, time and insight.

2023-5-31
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Hi there. it seems that your issue has now been resolved with the help of our fellow DJI Pilot by slowing down the speed of the unit. Should you have other inquiries, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-6-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules