12Next >
2087 41 2023-5-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_KS1fKbDStqeL
lvl.2
Flight distance : 516729 ft
United States

A few days ago, I flew my Air 2s over a tiny lake. When the drone's battery was about 22%, I started returning home. After three seconds, the drone itself turned on Auto returning home(seems unnecessary?). After about 7 seconds, mode was changed to P-GPS again(I don't remember doing that). After another 24 seconds of doing nothing, mode was changed to Returning Home then auto returning home. I am sorry I am new to this fly data interpretation.I panicked after I heard a low battery critical warning from the smart controller and my drone was about 19 meters from home point and most importantly the drone seemed to me not moving towards home point for a long time(could be my false sense). So I cancelled my return home and made a mistake by pulling the right stick instead of lowering the drone by pulling the left stick.
My drone flew away from my home point and I tried to bring it back while auto landing started and it crashed into water with 8% battery left.  I have contacted DJI support but they said it was pilot error. I think I made some mistakes but could DJI have done better? At 12%, I was allowed to cancel return home but not allowing me to cancel auto landing at 8% battery?  DJI support told me I still can control drone orientation which I did not know before. I was actually flying the drone towards home point during auto landing but the drone crashed into water before the drone was 80 meters from home point.

https://app.airdata.com/share/JKXLtw

Can anyone help on how to convince DJI to consider my situation and give me a real discounted replacement?

I wish I had bought DJI refresh but for some reason it was not available to me when I bought the air 2s.  

2023-5-24
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The log on phantomhelp
https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/7PHBPLGKN42ONB0B91P2
2023-5-24
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 474537 ft
United States

Yep it was your fault. Your mistake is flying over water. 2nd mistake is thinking the drone will fly until 0%. I made the same mistake too but mine wasn't over water. So it auto land on the ground and I have to go get it. When around 20% it will rth. You can cancel it. When it is about 8-9%, it will auto land. During this time, you CAN NOT cancel it. The drone will force land wherever it is. Do not fly below 10% cause it will go into auto land and there is no way to cancel it. Hope you learn. Cause I learned it and will never fly below 10%.

All dji drone comes with dji care. Unless you bought it used then you cant get it. Cause when you activate your drone it will give you a 48 hour warning to buy dji care. Since you didnt, it will not be cover.
2023-5-24
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

To djiuser_KS1fKbDStqel
On what basis do you think this is not pilot error?

Aside from anything else did you see those multiple "motor error" messages?The RTH height was unnecessarily high, wasting power in the climb and bringing forward the forced landing phase, then you flew AWAY from the home point, then left the drone uncommanded whilst it descended from
18:04 378ft high, 642ft from home until,  
18:35  53ft high, 631ft from home.
You then gave it around 1 sec forward stick bring slightly closer to home but from 18:36.3 you gave the drone NO THROTTLE  to fight the descent. The next elevator session was from 18:45.4 at 12ft high until 18:53.3 at -10ft which got the drone to 314ft from home by which time VPS was registering the height as 1.9ft .

Sorry, but from what I see pilot error, perhaps due to inexperience combined with panic.

Edit, now I am on a windows machine I can add these, they are the output of CSvView

https://datfile.net/CsvView/downloads.html

after processing the csv from Phantomhelp.

throttle elevator height distance.png
2023-5-24
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC Posted at 5-24 09:51
Yep it was your fault. Your mistake is flying over wager. 2nd mistake is thinking the drone will fly until 0%. I made the same mistake too but mine wasn't over water. So it auto land on the ground and I have to go get it. When around 20% it will rth. You can cancel it. When it is about 8-9%, it will auto land. During this time, you CAN NOT cancel it. The drone will force land wherever it is. Do not fly below 10% cause it will go into auto land and there is no way to cancel it. Hope you learn. Cause I learned it and will never fly below 10%.

All dji drone comes with dji care. Unless you bought it used then you cant get it. Cause when you activate your drone it will give you a 48 hour warning to buy dji care. Since you didnt, it will not be cover.

Flying over wager/water is NOT a mistake, I would have lost ever DJI drone I own if that were the case.
The drone WILL fly to 0% battery and beyond but the pilot has to give appropriate commands, is this thread that was not done.
The percentage at which the drone enters "low battery RTH" is not fixed, it varies with both height and distance.
I think the auto landing percentage varies with height.
DJI care refresh CAN be bought on certain second hand drones but there are provisos,  Google "DJI verification video" but it can not be bought after a such an incident, the video requires the drone to be flown and work and possibly fight logs.
2023-5-24
Use props
djiuser_KS1fKbDStqeL
lvl.2
United States

Thanks guys for your input. I am not trying to argue what errors I made during this flight.  This was a brand new drone I bought from DJI to replace a DJI air 2 through DJI support. I don't know why care refresh was not available to at that time.  I was trying to get some suggestions that may help my case to convince DJI give me a good deal for a replacement.  I wish DJI would not allow me cancel return home when battery is at 12% or gave me an option to cancel auto landing and I can take risk on my own. In my case I would rather it crashed on the land instead of water. That way at least I might be able to recover some media on the memory card.
2023-5-24
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_KS1fKbDStqeL Posted at 5-24 10:51
Thanks guys for your input. I am not trying to argue what errors I made during this flight.  This was a brand new drone I bought from DJI to replace a DJI air 2 through DJI support. I don't know why care refresh was not available to at that time.  I was trying to get some suggestions that may help my case to convince DJI give me a good deal for a replacement.  I wish DJI would not allow me cancel return home when battery is at 12% or gave me an option to cancel auto landing and I can take risk on my own. In my case I would rather it crashed on the land instead of water. That way at least I might be able to recover some media on the memory card.

Did you bought the drone from someone? Cause seem like it. Cause if its a new drone. When you first turn it on, it will give you a warning to purchase dji care within 48 hours. If you dont get the message it means someone who first turn it on already decline it. So you can not convince dji to give you a new drone or a discount. If you did purchase you would got a new drone cause they cover all damage even if it was your own fault. They also cover lost drones too. Well time to go out and buy a new drone cause no way to fix a water damage drone.
2023-5-24
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-24 10:09
Flying over wager/water is NOT a mistake, I would have lost ever DJI drone I own if that were the case.
The drone WILL fly to 0% battery and beyond but the pilot has to give appropriate commands, is this thread that was not done.
The percentage at which the drone enters "low battery RTH" is not fixed, it varies with both height and distance.

OP is a newbie. You cant compare someone with experience to someone who doesnt. If op didnt fly over water it would just land on the ground and he would be able to use find my drone. When i first startednin drone, i made mistake by flying to low batteries thinking it can fly all the way to 0% b4 i need to land. Which it does not. It will force land where it is. I had to go looking for my drone. The drone will force land around 8-9%. It will not fly till 0% like you claim. Sure you can still guide the drone when it force land, but it is much harder to fly cause the drone will try to land on its own.
2023-5-24
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi. We are sorry to hear about this issue you've encountered. Based on your case number, our relevant team sent you an email with a specific discount for your case. If you wish to continue the offer, please let us know or reply to the email directly for immediate assistance. Thank you for your understanding.
2023-5-24
Use props
djiuser_KS1fKbDStqeL
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC Posted at 5-24 11:06
Did you bought the drone from someone? Cause seem like it. Cause if its a new drone. When you first turn it on, it will give you a warning to purchase dji care within 48 hours. If you dont get the message it means someone who first turn it on already decline it. So you can not convince dji to give you a new drone or a discount. If you did purchase you would got a new drone cause they cover all damage even if it was your own fault. They also cover lost drones too. Well time to go out and buy a new drone cause no way to fix a water damage drone.

I bought from DJI support not DJI or its dealer. It was brand new and there were no refresh care offered.
2023-5-24
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_KS1fKbDStqeL Posted at 5-24 10:51
Thanks guys for your input. I am not trying to argue what errors I made during this flight.  This was a brand new drone I bought from DJI to replace a DJI air 2 through DJI support. I don't know why care refresh was not available to at that time.  I was trying to get some suggestions that may help my case to convince DJI give me a good deal for a replacement.  I wish DJI would not allow me cancel return home when battery is at 12% or gave me an option to cancel auto landing and I can take risk on my own. In my case I would rather it crashed on the land instead of water. That way at least I might be able to recover some media on the memory card.

Fair enough. In that case I would simply appeal to their compassion. I think it's the only ground you have to stand on.
2023-5-24
Use props
djiuser_KS1fKbDStqeL
lvl.2
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 5-24 11:15
Hi. We are sorry to hear about this issue you've encountered. Based on your case number, our relevant team sent you an email with a specific discount for your case. If you wish to continue the offer, please let us know or reply to the email directly for immediate assistance. Thank you for your understanding.

Thanks.  Unfortunately my boss will not approve that budget. It is the same price for the crashed one.  I might just quit DJI drone once for all
2023-5-24
Use props
djiuser_KS1fKbDStqeL
lvl.2
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-24 11:38
Fair enough. In that case I would simply appeal to their compassion. I think it's the only ground you have to stand on.

Thanks. I am actually a DJI fan, was owner of air , air 2 , air 2s and many other DJI products.
2023-5-24
Use props
Burt37
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

djiuser_KS1fKbDStqeL Posted at 5-24 11:39
Thanks.  Unfortunately my boss will not approve that budget. It is the same price for the crashed one.  I might just quit DJI drone once for all

Does your boss know the entire situation?

Perhaps quitting now, would be your best option, if you can't afford the drone even with the 30% discount... After all, it is an expensive hobby, especially when learning how it works...
2023-5-24
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC Posted at 5-24 11:10
OP is a newbie. You cant compare someone with experience to someone who doesnt. If op didnt fly over water it would just land on the ground and he would be able to use find my drone. When i first startednin drone, i made mistake by flying to low batteries thinking it can fly all the way to 0% b4 i need to land. Which it does not. It will force land where it is. I had to go looking for my drone. The drone will force land around 8-9%. It will not fly till 0% like you claim. Sure you can still guide the drone when it force land, but it is much harder to fly cause the drone will try to land on its own.

With 516,729ft associated with their account the OP is hardly a newbie pilot.

"It will not fly till 0% like you claim." ....It will, I have done it in a test, it just needs increasing amounts of throttle to keep it in the air. Eventually of course the battery voltage will be so low that the electronics shut the drone down and the drone simply falls.
Plus the horizontal speeds available will decrease as the remaining charge decreases, ESPECIALLY when it enters critical landing, It isn't good for the battery but better to risk ruining the battery than have the drone go for a dive in water.
2023-5-24
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_KS1fKbDStqeL Posted at 5-24 11:48
Thanks. I am actually a DJI fan, was owner of air , air 2 , air 2s and many other DJI products.

I have added some charts to post #4 you might like to have a look at them
2023-5-24
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks.  Unfortunately my boss will not approve that budget. It is the same price for the crashed one.  I might just quit DJI drone once for all

Isn't the drone covered by business insurance or is the boss "she who must be obeyed" ?
2023-5-24
Use props
djiuser_KS1fKbDStqeL
lvl.2
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-24 12:45
I have added some charts to post #4 you might like to have a look at them

I really appreciate your help. But not sure I understand much about those chats.
2023-5-24
Use props
djiuser_KS1fKbDStqeL
lvl.2
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-24 12:47
Isn't the drone covered by business insurance or is the boss "she who must be obeyed" ?

The second one
2023-5-24
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC Posted at 5-24 11:10
OP is a newbie. You cant compare someone with experience to someone who doesnt. If op didnt fly over water it would just land on the ground and he would be able to use find my drone. When i first startednin drone, i made mistake by flying to low batteries thinking it can fly all the way to 0% b4 i need to land. Which it does not. It will force land where it is. I had to go looking for my drone. The drone will force land around 8-9%. It will not fly till 0% like you claim. Sure you can still guide the drone when it force land, but it is much harder to fly cause the drone will try to land on its own.

I possibly stand corrected, I just flew a Mini 2 to 0% battery indoors. It was quite an interesting flight, in critical battery level the drone rejected the landing site and I did not have to use throttle to keep the drone aloft.

But as soon as it the battery reached 0% it started to descend and full throttle did nothing to halt or slow the descent, I did not have the height or space to try commanding any horizontal movements.

Maybe my recollection of the previous test was with a Phantom 3.
2023-5-24
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yep it was your fault. Your mistake is flying over water. 2nd mistake is thinking the drone will fly until 0%. I made the same mistake too but mine wasn't over water. So it auto land on the ground and I have to go get it. When around 20% it will rth. You can cancel it. When it is about 8-9%, it will auto land. During this time, you CAN NOT cancel it. The drone will force land wherever it is. Do not fly below 10% cause it will go into auto land and there is no way to cancel it. Hope you learn. Cause I learned it and will never fly below 10%.

i know it sounds like you are trying to help but you really aren't and might even be confusing things a bit.  so many mistakes in your post....the readers should probably just ignore the whole thing for the sake of accuracy.  maybe you're saying the same thing and you just said it all wrong but here's the truth:  all dji drones do not come with dji care.  in most case, the buyer must purchase and activate dji care separately if they want the coverage.  a drone (whether it is new or used) is only eligible for dji care coverage once (in addition to refresh+).  a new drone gives you the opportunity to buy it within 48 hours of drone activation.  if you acquire a [used] already activated drone that is beyond that period (and hasn't had dji care in the past) then you need to use the video verification in order to gain consideration for dji care.  in general; i'm sure there are exceptions.  and hopefully that program continues in effect.

op, when you get your next dji drone, visit this forum more indepth (not just when you have issues) or work with dji closely to explore all of your options and assist you with getting dji care refresh; i highly recommend it.  having dji care refresh means "you can fly over water" and you're allowed to make mistakes (pilot error) without experiencing a total loss.  when it comes to businesses, it appears insurance details are much more palatable then dealing with full replacements.  dji care refresh is generous to say the least.
2023-5-24
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
United States

The Saint Posted at 5-24 13:22
i know it sounds like you are trying to help but you really aren't and might even be confusing things a bit.  so many mistakes in your post....the readers should probably just ignore the whole thing for the sake of accuracy.  maybe you're saying the same thing and you just said it all wrong but here's the truth:  all dji drones do not come with dji care.  in most case, the buyer must purchase and activate dji care separately if they want the coverage.  a drone (whether it is new or used) is only eligible for dji care coverage once (in addition to refresh+).  a new drone gives you the opportunity to buy it within 48 hours of drone activation.  if you acquire a  already activated drone that is beyond that period (and hasn't had dji care in the past) then you need to use the video verification in order to gain consideration for dji care.  in general; i'm sure there are exceptions.  and hopefully that program continues in effect.

op, when you get your next dji drone, visit this forum more indepth (not just when you have issues) or work with dji closely to explore all of your options and assist you with getting dji care refresh; i highly recommend it.  having dji care refresh means "you can fly over water" and you're allowed to make mistakes (pilot error) without experiencing a total loss.  when it comes to businesses, it appears insurance details are much more palatable then dealing with full replacements.  dji care refresh is generous to say the least.

I wasnt trying to be helpful. I was simply stating the facts. Where in the sentence did i post any help? I simply stated it was the OP fault and nothing he can do but buy a new drone since he didnt purchase dji care. All dji drones i bought will ask you if you want to purchase dji care when you first turn off. I havent bought a dji drone that never ask if i wanted dji care or not. They all asked when you first turn it on.
2023-5-24
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Thanks.  Unfortunately my boss will not approve that budget. It is the same price for the crashed one.  I might just quit DJI drone once for all

Thank you for your response. This is the best offer from our higher-level team. I'll forward this to our relevant team for further assistance. We'll keep you posted as soon as we hear back from them. You may also keep an eye on your email for further updates. Thank you.
2023-5-24
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Diana Posted at 5-24 14:29
Thank you for your response. This is the best offer from our higher-level team. I'll forward this to our relevant team for further assistance. We'll keep you posted as soon as we hear back from them. You may also keep an eye on your email for further updates. Thank you.

Diana, just in case you do not understand the slang "she who must be obeyed" means his wife or other half. So they have a bit more control than a work boss lol.
2023-5-24
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-24 15:15
Diana, just in case you do not understand the slang "she who must be obeyed" means his wife or other half. So they have a bit more control than a work boss lol.

ha, thanks for pointing that out; i missed that one.
2023-5-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

My drone flew away from my home point and I tried to bring it back while auto landing started and it crashed into water with 8% battery left.
The reason it flew away from home was that you pulled the right stick down, flying the drone further away (twice!!)
I have contacted DJI support but they said it was pilot error. I think I made some mistakes but could DJI have done better?
Looking at the flight data, I see why DJI say it was pilot error.
There were more than a few mistakes that prevented you from what should have been a simple task of bringing the drone back home.

Here's a more detailed account of what the data shows.

There are lots of ways to foul up and you have to understand what they are and make sure that none are going to happen during your flight.
An important thing when flying over water is to get the drone home with a comfortable battery safety marging just to allow for unexpected issues.
The drone will recommend heading home when the battery level is getting close to the minimum needed for the return flight.
If you haven't already started for home by then, you need to take the hint and RTH.
When the battery reaches Critical Low Voltage level (around 10%), the drone will give up and commence autolanding.
If flying over water, you need to avoid this and be home before the battery reaches 10%.
If you've fouled up and are still out over the water when autolanding starts, you must head for land with urgency.

Your drone started to RTH at 16:13.2 with the battery at 22% and home 534 ft away.
In RTH, that would be a short 13 second flight.
It would have been a quick and easy manual flight home.
But you used the automated RTH feature and had the RTH height set unnecessarily high at 400 ft so the drone would have to climb al the way to 400 ft before it would commence the flight home.
When it was around half way up to RTH height, you cancelled the RTH at 16:24 with battery at 20%.
Instead of taking over and manually bringing the drone home (would have only taken 13 seconds), you left it hovering for 34 seconds (battery down to 18%), initiated RTH and the drone started using battery to climb to 400 ft and 30 seconds later the drone was almost home and 400 feet up with the battery at 15%.

At 17:28,5 with the battery at 15%, instead of bringing it down and landing, you pulled the right stick down fully, flying the drone backwards till it was 450 ft out over the water (still only a 10 sec flight back), then started flying back towards home for a short distance.
At 17:50 (13%) you started flying backwards again taking the drone from 282 ft from home to 581 ft when things got serious at 18:00 when the drone reached Critical Low Voltage and started to autoland from 390 feet.

You still had a chance to bring it back while it descended, (it would have only taken 15 sec) but you left it autolanding for much of the 55 seconds it took to come down into the water.

There's nothing wrong with flying over water .....
But it's an unforgiving environment where one mistake could easily mean that you go home minus your drone.
So you have to be on top of your game when flying out on the water.

2023-5-24
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_KS1fKbDStqeL Posted at 5-24 12:57
I really appreciate your help. But not sure I understand much about those chats.

The top chart plots
distance from the home point in green and
height in red, both in ft,
battery percentage in blue
the shading shows what flight mode the drone was in
all against time (along the bottom axis.)

The middle chart shows
the aileron input from the controller in red, which commands sideways movement and
against time.

The third chart shows
the elevator input from the elevator in green which commands forwards backwards movement, the numerical value of 1024 is stick centred, greater values command forward flight, lesser values command backwards flight, ...... and
against time.
2023-5-24
Use props
djiuser_KS1fKbDStqeL
lvl.2
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-24 16:25
The top chart plots
distance from the home point in green and
height in red, both in ft,

Many Thanks
2023-5-24
Use props
djiuser_KS1fKbDStqeL
lvl.2
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 5-24 14:29
Thank you for your response. This is the best offer from our higher-level team. I'll forward this to our relevant team for further assistance. We'll keep you posted as soon as we hear back from them. You may also keep an eye on your email for further updates. Thank you.

I truly appreciate your help!
2023-5-24
Use props
djiuser_KS1fKbDStqeL
lvl.2
United States

Labroides Posted at 5-24 16:05
My drone flew away from my home point and I tried to bring it back while auto landing started and it crashed into water with 8% battery left.
The reason it flew away from home was that you pulled the right stick down, flying the drone further away (twice!!)
I have contacted DJI support but they said it was pilot error. I think I made some mistakes but could DJI have done better?

2023-5-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_KS1fKbDStqeL Posted at 5-24 18:02

I was trying to get some suggestions that may help my case to convince DJI give me a good deal for a replacement
You had multiple opportunities to save the drone, but botched them all.
For the last 2.5 minutes the drone was only 10-15 seconds from safety, but you did everything you could to make sure it couldn't get back.
Given the number of mistakes, I can't see a way to convince DJI to do more than the already have.

I wish DJI would not allow me cancel return home when battery is at 12% or gave me an option to cancel auto landing and I can take risk on my own. In my case I would rather it crashed on the land instead of water. That way at least I might be able to recover some media on the memory card.
You could have flown back to land while the drone was autolanding (but didn't).
DJI has programmed it that way to prevent drones from falling from the sky when folks think they can fly forever.

2023-5-24
Use props
djiuser_KS1fKbDStqeL
lvl.2
United States

Labroides Posted at 5-24 18:08
I was trying to get some suggestions that may help my case to convince DJI give me a good deal for a replacement
You had multiple opportunities to save the drone, but botched them all.

Well, like I said, I panicked because I keep hearing battery critical warning, and motor error I have never seen before showed up during this flight quite a few times. I never bring back drone with less that 30% battery but this time first attempt to RTH with 22% battery left made me pay
2023-5-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_KS1fKbDStqeL Posted at 5-24 18:17
Well, like I said, I panicked because I keep hearing battery critical warning, and motor error I have never seen before showed up during this flight quite a few times. I never bring back drone with less that 30% battery but this time first attempt to RTH with 22% battery left made me pay

You could have brought it back with 10% but you panicked and panicked and panicked some more.
You flew the drone back out twice instead of bringing it in and then left it to descend when you could still have flown it back.
It was a catalog of mistakes, not just one or two.
2023-5-24
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Given that the motor errors started well under the two minute mark, and the host of other questionable choices, no reasonable person could say DJI should have done more to protect you from this.   This is the kind of scenario that gives you a great story, but probably no offers of - "Here, fly my drone."    : )
2023-5-24
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

2023-5-25
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Yep it was your fault. Your mistake is flying over water. 2nd mistake is thinking the drone will fly until 0%. I made the same mistake too but mine wasn't over water. So it auto land on the ground and I have to go get it. When around 20% it will rth. You can cancel it. When it is about 8-9%, it will auto land. During this time, you CAN NOT cancel it. The drone will force land wherever it is. Do not fly below 10% cause it will go into auto land and there is no way to cancel it. Hope you learn. Cause I learned it and will never fly below 10%.

Hi,

You are wrong in few things...

Flying over water is safe to do (less obstacles), mayby safer than flying over land!
Smart Battery RTH is not a fixed value, same for Smart Battery autolanding.
It depends on  a) distance out and  b) actual flying height.
Software calculate constantly during flight the time in seconds needed to fly to HP and time needed to land from RTH setting height,
at landing some % batt is left. (see the video where batt circle adds green again at landing)In the app this is seen top right the green-yellow-red circle around the batt% value.
See the video for the color changing while flying away+ascending from HP. [ red part value = autolanding, yellow part = RTH ]

In this log first RTH initiated with 22% battery ( 163 meter awy from HO, height 44 meter).
In this log autolanding at 12%.

Fly to 0% battery is possible, all RC inputs are possibe.
Only you need more UP stick to keep craft at steady height or even ascend.
Max power is reduced, so normal full fwd stick = full speed is not possible.

cheers
JJB

2023-5-25
Use props
djiuser_KS1fKbDStqeL
lvl.2
United States

I thought I already swallowed my pride and pleaded guilty of being a lousy drone pilot
I would still suggest adding an extra button to allow auto landing to be cancelled, as a senior software developer , I can see that can be done by DJI without too much effort. There could be some use cases for it like mine ,and just like everything else use it at your own risk.
2023-5-25
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

djiuser_KS1fKbDStqeL Posted at 5-25 05:19
I thought I already swallowed my pride and pleaded guilty of being a lousy drone pilot  
I would still suggest adding an extra button to allow auto landing to be cancelled, as a senior software developer , I can see that can be done by DJI without too much effort. There could be some use cases for it like mine ,and just like everything else use it at your own risk.

nope, DJI will never give us the option to cancel autolanding due to low battery.
This safety feature is there so that drone lands always and not falling out of the sky!

Good pilot skills + flightplanning + for battery health = land at 20% battery always.

cheers
JJB

2023-5-25
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

And don't worry about being lousy at piloting.  I crash them often enough to have a personal relationship with my UPS Store.  When they see me, they know.  They know whats inside the box and where it's going.  : )
2023-5-28
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 5-28 20:19
And don't worry about being lousy at piloting.  I crash them often enough to have a personal relationship with my UPS Store.  When they see me, they know.  They know whats inside the box and where it's going.  : )

Jesus! Tony..I have never crashed a drone after my very first Mini went into a bush in the dark. Mia Culpa for sure. You must be very much pushing the drone performance envelopes ;-)
2023-5-28
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules