2778 24 2023-5-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BarnSwallow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5076896 ft
  • >>>
United States

The requirment for a mobile connection before you can fly means no flying in remote locations, which is what I do frequently.   Thank you US Govt,  for yet another stupid thing you've done.  Before you do any software updates to your drone make sure that remote ID isn't part of it.   I'm going out on a limb and guess anyone spying isn't going to be broadcasting a remote ID.   
I'll vote for anyone who will repeal this garbage.   Bardwell was absolutely right.

2023-5-24
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

...except for one thing:  there is no FAA requirement for a mobile connection.  
2023-5-24
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

I fly with no internet/no cellular using a wifi iPad.. no issues.  I think you may have got bad info or got trolled.

Here are the facts: https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/remote_id
Here is a PDF of the Standard Remote ID reqs: https://www.faa.gov/sites/faa.go ... ote_ID_Standard.pdf

Notice: "Drone Broadcasts Remote ID Information via Radio Frequency (Wifi / Bluetooth)"

Hope this unbunches those panties. lol

2023-5-24
Use props
BarnSwallow
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

The issue is with the DJI Goggles 2, if you get the Integra it has a built in GPS that doesn't  require a mobile connection.    I'm going to make sure before I do any software updates to my older drones, that it doesn't include the Break My Drone feature.

2023-5-25
Use props
BarnSwallow
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Bob Brown Posted at 5-24 10:43
I fly with no internet/no cellular using a wifi iPad.. no issues.  I think you may have got bad info or got trolled.

Here are the facts: https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/remote_id

The problem is with the Goggles 2, the Integra has a built in GPS that will work anywhere.  Why anyone would want the /goggles 2 is beyond me.   
2023-5-25
Use props
BarnSwallow
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 5-24 08:38
...except for one thing:  there is no FAA requirement for a mobile connection.

It's what DJI did for the goggles 2.   I found that the integra has build in GPS that doesn't require a mobile connection.
2023-5-25
Use props
ajinkyax
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11608 ft
India

using old DJI assistant app on PC and downgrade firmware to 0001.
2023-5-25
Use props
BarnSwallow
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ajinkyax Posted at 5-25 07:03
using old DJI assistant app on PC and downgrade firmware to 0001.

As far as I know they haven't implemented this yet on previous drones, and perhaps they'll find a better alternative then this garbage.  It's the law starting in September in the US.

2023-5-25
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

barnswallow, i think you are slightly confused about what's going on here.  there are at least a dozen other threads covering this exact topic so please go back and check there is no requirement and you will always be able to fly in remote locations.
2023-5-25
Use props
BarnSwallow
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 5-25 07:41
barnswallow, i think you are slightly confused about what's going on here.  there are at least a dozen other threads covering this exact topic so please go back and check there is no requirement and you will always be able to fly in remote locations.

No I'm not "confused".  The DJI Goggles 2 requires a mobile connection to the DJI Fly app to get a Remote ID or you cannot take off.  It's that simple.    Call them and check it if you want.  
2023-5-25
Use props
2wheeledphotog
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3432372 ft
United States

BarnSwallow Posted at 5-25 10:08
No I'm not "confused".  The DJI Goggles 2 requires a mobile connection to the DJI Fly app to get a Remote ID or you cannot take off.  It's that simple.    Call them and check it if you want.

It doesn't require a mobile connection. A mobile *device* running DJI FLY, yes...a connection to the internet, no.

I can't really tell if your complaint is with RID in general or just that you have to tether the Goggles 2 to a device to fly the Avata? But neither RID nor the Avata + Goggles 2 require a mobile internet connection to fly, and no other RID-enabled drones from DJI require a mobile internet connection.
2023-5-25
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

BarnSwallow Posted at 5-25 10:08

you're not completely confused but only slightly confused.

for the context of this discussion, i should remind you that i have the avata with the latest rid software and i have both the goggles 2 and the goggle integra so i know *exactly* how they work (in part thanks to this forum).

googles 2 and avata can fly in antarctica without a mobile connection to the internet.  gps and bluetooth and wifi connectivity between the devices will continue to work most everywhere on the planet despite new government laws or requirements.  but i agree with you, it is rather inconvenient; however, personally i'm not yet ready to drop out of the drone industry because of what dji has done with goggles 2.

hth, have a good day barnswallow!
2023-5-25
Use props
BarnSwallow
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

How do acquire a remote id with goggles 2?
2023-5-25
Use props
BarnSwallow
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

2wheeledphotog Posted at 5-25 10:23
It doesn't require a mobile connection. A mobile *device* running DJI FLY, yes...a connection to the internet, no.

I can't really tell if your complaint is with RID in general or just that you have to tether the Goggles 2 to a device to fly the Avata? But neither RID nor the Avata + Goggles 2 require a mobile internet connection to fly, and no other RID-enabled drones from DJI require a mobile internet connection.

Ok, so a DJI Fly gets a GPS location and gives it to the drone  without a mobile connection to the internet, while the Integra which has a GPS build in doesn't require the DJI fly.  Is that correct?  
I'm guessing for the older drones we'll be required to do the DJI Fly connection before takeoff?

2023-5-25
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

The title is now also confusing.. Are we talking about drones, remote ID or goggles 2?
2023-5-25
Use props
BarnSwallow
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 5-25 10:53
you're not completely confused but only slightly confused.

for the context of this discussion, i should remind you that i have the avata with the latest rid software and i have both the goggles 2 and the goggle integra so i know *exactly* how they work (in part thanks to this forum).

I've decided to come in off the window ledge.    Thank you.
2023-5-25
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, BarnSwallow. Thank you for reaching out. The RID rule is being implemented by FAA which we need to abide by so that drones can still fly within the US airspace. Please see more information from this link: (https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/remote_id/drone_pilots). Thank you for your kind understanding.
2023-5-26
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'd be curious to know if DJI plans to implement session ID into Go4/Fly app? That could at least keep aircraft serial numbers from being broadcasted into the wild.
2023-5-26
Use props
BarnSwallow
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 5-26 02:34
Hi, BarnSwallow. Thank you for reaching out. The RID rule is being implemented by FAA which we need to abide by so that drones can still fly within the US airspace. Please see more information from this link: (https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/remote_id/drone_pilots). Thank you for your kind understanding.

It's not as bad as I thought, so I've decided to go on living.
2023-5-26
Use props
BarnSwallow
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Burt37 Posted at 5-25 14:05
The title is now also confusing.. Are we talking about drones, remote ID or goggles 2?

My issue was if an internet connection was required to acquire a remote ID.   It's not.  I believe it simply gets a GPS location from the phone.  I was concerned it would prevent me from flying in remote locations, and went ape.  Avata Goggles 2 requires the DJI Fly app connection,  the integra does not as it has a builty in GPS.  I'm getting the Integra goggle.

2023-5-26
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

BarnSwallow Posted at 5-26 11:31
My issue was if an internet connection was required to acquire a remote ID.   It's not.  I believe it simply gets a GPS location from the phone.  I was concerned it would prevent me from flying in remote locations, and went ape.  Avata Goggles 2 requires the DJI Fly app connection,  the integra does not as it has a builty in GPS.  I'm getting the Integra goggle.

Understood...
2023-5-26
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

BarnSwallow Posted at 5-26 11:25
It's not as bad as I thought, so I've decided to go on living.

Thank you for your kind understanding, BarnSwallow. Hope you have a good day ahead.
2023-5-29
Use props
digibud
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7820246 ft
  • >>>
United States

BarnSwallow Posted at 5-26 11:31

I shared that concern for a bit since nearly all of my flying is outside of any cell coverage but as you now realize, it's just an inconvenience in terms of connecting the phone to the goggles 2. It does add the ability to easily record a session on a separate device or share the view on something like an iPad which is why I actually prefer my Goggles 2. Maybe the Integra allows video out..dunno...in any case, no big thing.
2023-5-30
Use props
djiuser_HYf4VYIYAZbk
lvl.1

United States

2wheeledphotog Posted at 5-25 10:23

As to the googles 2, not the integra, it does require a connection to a mobile device to obtain location/gps, else you are unable to take off. I was going to hike in the mountains and take my mavic 4 pro drone there to use with the googles 2 and motion controller, but unsure whether it would work if i wouldn't have cellular service there. What do you think?
2023-9-20
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_HYf4VYIYAZbk Posted at 9-20 02:37
As to the googles 2, not the integra, it does require a connection to a mobile device to obtain location/gps, else you are unable to take off. I was going to hike in the mountains and take my mavic 4 pro drone there to use with the googles 2 and motion controller, but unsure whether it would work if i wouldn't have cellular service there. What do you think?

As mentioned in post #2 several months ago, cellular service isn't required to launch your drone...and that remains the case even today.
2023-9-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules