DJI Mimo - is it required?
3211 11 2023-5-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TimothyB
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I've bought a used DJI Pocket 2 and just saw that I need to install the DJI Mimo app through an APK file, which I'm not keen on doing. Do I need to install the Mimo app? What can I do on there that I can't do from the touchscreen on the Pocket 2?
2023-5-25
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

You can use it to see which way the camera is pointing - the built in screen is so tiny!  But more seriously, while I understand your reluctance to install via a downloaded apk file, I do not recall anyone reporting any problem with Mimo which might relate to the way it is installed.  I cannot think of any functions which can only be accessed via the app, but there are a few which only exist in the camera.  The point of Mimo when shooting is largely having a more user-friendly experience - bigger display, bigger interface elements, touch instead of multiple pushes.
2023-5-25
Use props
TimothyB
lvl.1

United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 5-25 14:10
You can use it to see which way the camera is pointing - the built in screen is so tiny!  But more seriously, while I understand your reluctance to install via a downloaded apk file, I do not recall anyone reporting any problem with Mimo which might relate to the way it is installed.  I cannot think of any functions which can only be accessed via the app, but there are a few which only exist in the camera.  The point of Mimo when shooting is largely having a more user-friendly experience - bigger display, bigger interface elements, touch instead of multiple pushes.

Thanks for your reply. So if I don't need a bigger screen then there's no benefit of installing the Mimo app?

As the Pocket 2 was bought 2nd hand it must have already been activated so it doesn't seem like I need Mimo to do this.
2023-5-25
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We do recommend using the DJI Mimo app on your DJI Pocket 2 to have a bigger camera view and also for you to maximize the available features inside the app. Please make sure to download it straight to our website to avoid any issues. You may click the link below to download the app. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have other inquiries. Thank you for your valued support.

https://www.dji.com/downloads/djiapp/dji-mimo
2023-5-25
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've used my pocket 2 extensively both with and without the Mimo App.  It's not needed for full functioning of the device, but it's a handy app to have. Let's say you wanted to place the camera on a tripod and control its movement via Bluetooth from your phone to the Pocket 2. That's where it's invaluable.
2023-5-25
Use props
TimothyB
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 5-25 22:38
I've used my pocket 2 extensively both with and without the Mimo App.  It's not needed for full functioning of the device, but it's a handy app to have. Let's say you wanted to place the camera on a tripod and control its movement via Bluetooth from your phone to the Pocket 2. That's where it's invaluable.

I want to use it to make YouTube videos while I'm walking around. I wouldn't be using it with a tripod.

Am I able to transfer files to my Android phone without the Mimo app, either wired or wirelessly?
2023-5-26
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TimothyB Posted at 5-26 01:43
I want to use it to make YouTube videos while I'm walking around. I wouldn't be using it with a tripod.

Am I able to transfer files to my Android phone without the Mimo app, either wired or wirelessly?

Well you can attach your phone directly to the Pocket2 using the provided connector.
2023-5-26
Use props
TimothyB
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 5-26 07:42
Well you can attach your phone directly to the Pocket2 using the provided connector.

Would I need the Mimo app to transfer files using the provided connector, or is there some other apps that I can get from the Play store, or would it work natively by using a regular file manager?
2023-5-26
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TimothyB Posted at 5-26 11:59
Would I need the Mimo app to transfer files using the provided connector, or is there some other apps that I can get from the Play store, or would it work natively by using a regular file manager?

I usually download my files from the Pocket 2 to a laptop via USB cable. That can work for a phone too (Android in my case). SO there's no reason why that shouldn't work with the supplied connector as well.
Mimo is not involved in those actions.
2023-5-26
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

I might be remembering wrong, but some panorama photo functions and using the AI editor functions may require the Mimo app (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). There also are some additional functions in the app that are not directly available through the camera, such as histogram and overexposure detection (the "zebra-stripe" areas that show up in the Mimo app monitoring display on view areas that are overexposed to light). Personally, whether I find the Mimo app useful or not depends on the situation. There are scenarios where just the camera works fine, and others where the Mimo app is the way to go (remote controlling with the DIA Handle, monitoring audio levels visually etc.)
2023-5-26
Use props
TimothyB
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thank you. I'll try to use it without Mimo as I don't need the larger screen for the type of videos I'll make.
2023-5-26
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

TimothyB Posted at 5-26 13:29
Thank you. I'll try to use it without Mimo as I don't need the larger screen for the type of videos I'll make.

I hope it works for you for whatever needs you got it for. In many cases, the camera does just fine by itself, without the app.
2023-5-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules