Mavic 2 Air Remote ID?
6315 23 2023-5-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
N3NTJ
lvl.1
United States

Just checking to see if DJI has announced anything as far as either a firmware update or an add-on module so that the Mavic 2 Air is Remote ID compliant by mid-Sept when the new FAA rule goes live. I've not seen anything from DJI yet.  
I've heard that there is a UK module but that other companies (including DJI) will likely be coming out with these modules (or a firmware update from DJI) over the spring or summer.

Thanks.

2023-5-26
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The Remote ID module you purchase must be FAA-approved. Follow the Remote ID module instruction manual to properly install it to the drone. You also need to add Remote ID module information such as make, model, and serial number to the FAA drone registry. According to the FAR Part 89 Remote ID regulations, RID compliance for American users starts on September 16, 2023. Before that, the FAA RID regulation does not affect the user’s flight activity. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-5-26
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 13335725 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 5-26 18:56
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The Remote ID module you purchase must be FAA-approved. Follow the Remote ID module instruction manual to properly install it to the drone. You also need to add Remote ID module information such as make, model, and serial number to the FAA drone registry. According to the FAR Part 89 Remote ID regulations, RID compliance for American users starts on September 16, 2023. Before that, the FAA RID regulation does not affect the user’s flight activity. Thank you for your valued support.

You wrote out a paragraph there that had nothing to do with anything in the original post. You wonder why people think DJI admins are just bots? It's because you clearly copy/paste replies from a ready made script. I swear admins here are just NPC's from a mid 2000's video game.  DJI has already announced that the Mavic Air 2 will not be receiving RID via firmware update. Since that's already been made official, why not mention this and give an actual useful answer for once?  It's also been announced that DJI will not be selling RID modules as a stand alone product. These two questions from OP are easy to answer. Instead you give answers and instructions on stuff that was never asked.
2023-5-26
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Johnnokomis Posted at 5-26 20:24
You wrote out a paragraph there that had nothing to do with anything in the original post. You wonder why people think DJI admins are just bots? It's because you clearly copy/paste replies from a ready made script. I swear admins here are just NPC's from a mid 2000's video game.  DJI has already announced that the Mavic Air 2 will not be receiving RID via firmware update. Since that's already been made official, why not mention this and give an actual useful answer for once?  It's also been announced that DJI will not be selling RID modules as a stand alone product. These two questions from OP are easy to answer. Instead you give answers and instructions on stuff that was never asked.

please post a link to those announcement for the rest of us to see.  would like to know if the mavic 2 zoom is getting rid or not.
2023-5-26
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Johnnokomis Posted at 5-26 20:24
You wrote out a paragraph there that had nothing to do with anything in the original post. You wonder why people think DJI admins are just bots? It's because you clearly copy/paste replies from a ready made script. I swear admins here are just NPC's from a mid 2000's video game.  DJI has already announced that the Mavic Air 2 will not be receiving RID via firmware update. Since that's already been made official, why not mention this and give an actual useful answer for once?  It's also been announced that DJI will not be selling RID modules as a stand alone product. These two questions from OP are easy to answer. Instead you give answers and instructions on stuff that was never asked.

Hello. We apologize if we can only do so much. Rest assured that we will continue to improve our service here at DJI Forum. Should you have other inquiries, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you for your valued support!
2023-5-27
Use props
N3NTJ
lvl.1
United States

So, DJI owners are on their own in terms of finding an approved RID device to use with our DJI drones?

Also, any update on when the zoom feature for taking photos will be added for the Mavic 2 Air. We have it currently only for video mode, but why can't DJI add it for photo mode??
2023-5-27
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

N3NTJ Posted at 5-27 04:12
So, DJI owners are on their own in terms of finding an approved RID device to use with our DJI drones?

Also, any update on when the zoom feature for taking photos will be added for the Mavic 2 Air. We have it currently only for video mode, but why can't DJI add it for photo mode??

Thank you for your feedback. I will take this as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your valued support!
2023-6-8
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Please forgive me...but that the hell is a Mavic 2 Air? Some kind of bizarre wedding? In any event I welcome it ;-)

2023-6-8
Use props
N3NTJ
lvl.1
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 6-8 22:06
Please forgive me...but that the hell is a Mavic 2 Air? Some kind of bizarre wedding? In any event I welcome it ;-)

A Mavic 2 Air is a drone from DJI. I would think people in the DJI forum would be, at least, somewhat aware of their products?? Here's a link to the Mavic 2 Air's page on DJI's website:  https://www.dji.com/mavic-air-2
2023-6-9
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

N3NTJ Posted at 6-9 03:18
A Mavic 2 Air is a drone from DJI. I would think people in the DJI forum would be, at least, somewhat aware of their products?? Here's a link to the Mavic 2 Air's page on DJI's website:  https://www.dji.com/mavic-air-2

I think you meant to post it as a Mavic Air 2...not a Mavic 2 Air...huge difference...real versus imaginary ;-)
2023-6-10
Use props
djiuser_pqVmoFvQi1wX
lvl.1
Flight distance : 51506 ft
United States

RID update is available now for the air2.
Screenshot_20230926_160015.jpg
2023-9-26
Use props
N3NTJ
lvl.1
United States

djiuser_pqVmoFvQi1wX Posted at 9-26 12:21
RID update is available now for the air2.

I was able to download and install the latest firmware update for RID but where do I find my RID number? I looked under Profile (and other places) in the DJI Fly app but I can't seem to find it.
2023-9-26
Use props
djiuser_pqVmoFvQi1wX
lvl.1
United States

N3NTJ Posted at 9-26 12:51
If we power up the drone and DJI app, will it tell us there is a firmware update to download?

Yes it will.
2023-9-26
Use props
djiuser_pqVmoFvQi1wX
lvl.1
United States

N3NTJ Posted at 9-26 12:51
I was able to download and install the latest firmware update for RID but where do I find my RID number? I looked under Profile (and other places) in the DJI Fly app but I can't seem to find it.

Power up the remote and the drone and in dji fly app tap on the 3 dots in the upper right, then tap the about tab and scroll down to remote id, your id is there.
2023-9-26
Use props
N3NTJ
lvl.1
United States

Found it.. thank you. I added my RID # to my registration on the Drone Zone website. So we don't have to do anything more? The drone will automatically transmit the data that the FAA requires for RID without any further user input?
Now only if DJI would enable zoom for photos on the Mavic Air 2. It only currently works in video mode (not photos).

2023-9-26
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 13335725 ft
  • >>>
United States

Unless you are using the Mavic Air 2 for commercial work, which doesn't seem likely. I don't see any reason to update your firmware. Do you all not remember what a firmware update did to this very drone several months ago?? It took a week for DJI to finally pull the update that was grounding everyone who tried to update it. So you want to chance grounding it again for what? So you can gain RID..? No thank you on both parts.  
2023-9-26
Use props
N3NTJ
lvl.1
United States

Johnnokomis Posted at 9-26 16:02
Unless you are using the Mavic Air 2 for commercial work, which doesn't seem likely. I don't see any reason to update your firmware. Do you all not remember what a firmware update did to this very drone several months ago?? It took a week for DJI to finally pull the update that was grounding everyone who tried to update it. So you want to chance grounding it again for what? So you can gain RID..? No thank you on both parts.

Yes, I am flying commercially per FAA regs. I installed the new firmware and tested everything and no issues with taking off, flight, etc.
2023-9-27
Use props
djiuser_ObhKVK2U7f0n
lvl.1
Flight distance : 70308 ft
United States

I updated my firmware and I see my RID serial number. I saw on the DroneXL website that in the Flight Checklist screen it should indicate that the Remote ID is broadcasting.  I don't see that. Is there someway to confirm that the drone is properly broadcasting?
2023-9-27
Use props
N3NTJ
lvl.1
United States

djiuser_ObhKVK2U7f0n Posted at 9-27 11:52
I updated my firmware and I see my RID serial number. I saw on the DroneXL website that in the Flight Checklist screen it should indicate that the Remote ID is broadcasting.  I don't see that. Is there someway to confirm that the drone is properly broadcasting?

After doing the firmware update, you can confirm that it works but getting your drone in the air and then turn on your device's (phone or tablet) wifi option (like when you are trying to connect your phone or tablet to wifi). Within 20 secs. or so, you should see your RID show up as a 'wifi connection' in your device's wifi options. It will be the pre-fix with your drone's serial number after that.
2023-9-27
Use props
djiuser_eNPe8vU0nmHk
lvl.1

United States

Anyone else having issues where the drone updates but the remote ID doesn’t show up on the controller? I successfully installed the update but not seeing anything in the about section.
IMG_3365.jpeg
2023-9-27
Use props
djiuser_ObhKVK2U7f0n
lvl.1
Flight distance : 70308 ft
United States

djiuser_eNPe8vU0nmHk Posted at 9-27 15:29
Anyone else having issues where the drone updates but the remote ID doesn’t show up on the controller? I successfully installed the update but not seeing anything in the about section.

I had this result when using a Galaxy A7 Tab as my device. But when I used my iPhone SE2020, it worked. I tried updating the DJI Fly app on the Galaxy, but it made no difference.
2023-9-27
Use props
djiuser_eNPe8vU0nmHk
lvl.1

United States

djiuser_ObhKVK2U7f0n Posted at 9-27 20:59
I had this result when using a Galaxy A7 Tab as my device. But when I used my iPhone SE2020, it worked. I tried updating the DJI Fly app on the Galaxy, but it made no difference.

Well damn I’m using the smart controller, I don’t have anything else to try it on
2023-9-27
Use props
N3NTJ
lvl.1
United States

Did you confirm that it's not transmitting RID info by flying the drone and checking your phone or tablet's wifi connection for an appropriate RID wifi signal?
2023-9-28
Use props
G-Doggie
lvl.1

United States

As of 9/28/23 there is no Declaration of Compliance listed by the FAA for the Mavic Air 2. So whether or not the drone is broadcasting a RID is irrelevant.
If the drone is not on the FAA's list you are not in compliance.
https://uasdoc.faa.gov/listDocs
2023-9-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules