Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-29 23:50
Cant say Ive even been in one.    You may call me a snob.

They're not a regular haunt of ours either, but we have been in a couple.  One in Blackpool, and one in Melton Mowbray as I recall.
2023-5-29
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-29 23:51
No the race started from Maldon and went around the country roads near chelmsford.    The post of the high street were maldon high street.

My mistake
2023-5-29
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 5-29 10:49
That's pretty old.  Well worth another visit no doubt.

It truly is amazing how well it is preserved for being that old.  The metal ships of today just start corroding right away but not the antique wooden ones.
2023-5-30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-29 23:03
I heard that but I always wonder how much creative accounting is going on with things like that as it allows them to claim various incentives.

No doubt that are taking advantage of the federal incentives.  Also, of all the career paths, Accountants are the most likely to end up in jail or prison.  Based on statistical data that is.  I guess there is just to much temptation to "cook the books" as they say.
2023-5-30
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-30 02:15
It truly is amazing how well it is preserved for being that old.  The metal ships of today just start corroding right away but not the antique wooden ones.

Traditionally made from hardwoods.  Although I believe shipworm was a big problem?  That's why they started copper-plating the hulls as technology got that far.
2023-5-30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 5-30 03:14
Traditionally made from hardwoods.  Although I believe shipworm was a big problem?  That's why they started copper-plating the hulls as technology got that far.

Shipworms mostly inhabit the intertidal zones and are rare in deeper water.  The mystery with shipworms is how they ingest all that wood.  
2023-5-30
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-30 03:37
Shipworms mostly inhabit the intertidal zones and are rare in deeper water.  The mystery with shipworms is how they ingest all that wood.

I wood'nt know the answer
2023-5-30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 5-30 03:44
I wood'nt know the answer

Neither do I.  
2023-5-30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 5-29 13:25
An interesting event to film for sure. And seems like you will get a great coverage in the view.

When I had the local community college's bicycle trip, I tested the Pocket 2 and my cheap action camera to film the ride, and I have to say that the Pocket 2 performed phenomenally with a chest mount and the proper stabilization mode (Tilt Lock worked the best for me). I don't think I can put that video on YouTube, as I cannot be sure if the course participants would allow it, but I could make another trip and film that to show how stabilized the image quality is. It looks amazing when compared to the action cam (blurry and way more susceptible to the bumps on the road, but made for an interesing second camera angle when placed to the front fork of the bicycle at least).

Thats curious isn't it that the pocket does better than a dedicated action cam in that scenario.
2023-5-30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

We had great fun getting through the closed roads to get the shopping to the MIL.  
2023-5-30
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-30 22:29
We had great fun getting through the closed roads to get the shopping to the MIL.

I can imagine.
2023-5-30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Easily made for us old ones.
2023-5-30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-30 02:29
No doubt that are taking advantage of the federal incentives.  Also, of all the career paths, Accountants are the most likely to end up in jail or prison.  Based on statistical data that is.  I guess there is just to much temptation to "cook the books" as they say.

Most countries I think have incentives for green vehicles so it's not just federal ones.
2023-5-30
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-30 22:35
Easily made for us old ones.

You're including yourself in that category now?
2023-5-30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's amazing what a little white lie will get you.  
2023-5-30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 5-30 22:44
You're including yourself in that category now?

Im feeling that way today for sure.  
2023-5-30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-30 22:39
Most countries I think have incentives for green vehicles so it's not just federal ones.

Yeah, many states here also give incentives above and beyond the federal incentive.  Also some of the utilities give incentives to people who have all electric houses and vehicles.
2023-5-31
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DAFlys Posted at 5-30 22:21
Thats curious isn't it that the pocket does better than a dedicated action cam in that scenario.

It is, though I am not completely surprised by it, at the Pocket 2 costs noticeably more than my action cam, and also is a newer model. The action cam I used was a very cheap one, that came with a special edition of a video game and costs about 50-100 euros by itself, depending on where you get it.
2023-5-31
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-31 05:24
Yeah, many states here also give incentives above and beyond the federal incentive.  Also some of the utilities give incentives to people who have all electric houses and vehicles.

We had a few electric companies offering free electric for a car if you switched to them for so many years,   not sure it was as good a deal as it looked at face value.
2023-5-31
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 5-31 05:30
It is, though I am not completely surprised by it, at the Pocket 2 costs noticeably more than my action cam, and also is a newer model. The action cam I used was a very cheap one, that came with a special edition of a video game and costs about 50-100 euros by itself, depending on where you get it.

Ah,  Id assumed it was the new action camera from DJI.
2023-5-31
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DAFlys Posted at 5-31 05:41
Ah,  Id assumed it was the new action camera from DJI.

Nope, having one of the Action models would likely blow mine out of the water with their performance, at least for what I have seen.
2023-5-31
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 5-31 05:45
Nope, having one of the Action models would likely blow mine out of the water with their performance, at least for what I have seen.

I got a cheap one once to play with but never found a good use for it,  especially when mounted side ways in portrait mode it would record corrupt video for some odd reason.
2023-5-31
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DAFlys Posted at 5-31 05:51
I got a cheap one once to play with but never found a good use for it,  especially when mounted side ways in portrait mode it would record corrupt video for some odd reason.

That video corruption related to the alignment of the camera sure sounds odd, I wonder what causes that.

If there is nothing else that is good about those cheap action cameras, it is that at least you won't suffer a huge financial loss if something happens to them. Yet on the other hand, pay enough and you will get a camera so robust you won't have to be too afraid about it. Choices, choices...
2023-5-31
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 5-31 05:53
That video corruption related to the alignment of the camera sure sounds odd, I wonder what causes that.

If there is nothing else that is good about those cheap action cameras, it is that at least you won't suffer a huge financial loss if something happens to them. Yet on the other hand, pay enough and you will get a camera so robust you won't have to be too afraid about it. Choices, choices...

Id got mine to mount on the side of the car near the wheels for a bit of fun,  but when it gave me all the grief in portrait mode I got bored with it,  its in a box on the shelf somewhere.  
2023-5-31
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DAFlys Posted at 5-31 05:58
Id got mine to mount on the side of the car near the wheels for a bit of fun,  but when it gave me all the grief in portrait mode I got bored with it,  its in a box on the shelf somewhere.

Understandable, it's easy to get fed up with these gadgets if they won't work properly.

My action cam doesn't even support portrait filming, it came with a 90 degrees support part to turn it the right side up when mounted to a side of a bicycle.
2023-5-31
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 5-31 06:00
Understandable, it's easy to get fed up with these gadgets if they won't work properly.

My action cam doesn't even support portrait filming, it came with a 90 degrees support part to turn it the right side up when mounted to a side of a bicycle.

M plan was to rotate the video in post later
2023-5-31
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DAFlys Posted at 5-31 06:03
M plan was to rotate the video in post later

Yeah, I guess that would do the trick too, if there were no other problems about it.
2023-5-31
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-31 05:40
We had a few electric companies offering free electric for a car if you switched to them for so many years,   not sure it was as good a deal as it looked at face value.

I'm told if the house was 100% electric (no gas stoves or hot water heaters) and with an EV car it equated to about an 11% discount off monthly electric bill.
2023-5-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very nice shots!
2023-6-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 5-31 06:05
Yeah, I guess that would do the trick too, if there were no other problems about it.

My only guess is the camera has an orientation sensor and that when it records in portrait it's a bad format.  
2023-6-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-31 07:44
I'm told if the house was 100% electric (no gas stoves or hot water heaters) and with an EV car it equated to about an 11% discount off monthly electric bill.

Thats not bad,   mostly here we have dual fuel supply and very few use electric heating as it's very expensive.
2023-6-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cheers monty.  
2023-6-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

You're welcome!
2023-6-3
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 6-3 00:02
Thats not bad,   mostly here we have dual fuel supply and very few use electric heating as it's very expensive.

Forutnately, where I live no heater is required, however, lots of air conditioning is so that always tends to jack up people's monthly electric bill.  Not so bad on the boat as I don't have a lot of square footage to keep cool.  
2023-6-3
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DAFlys Posted at 6-2 23:39
My only guess is the camera has an orientation sensor and that when it records in portrait it's a bad format.

Hard to say without knowing the camera myself, but sounds plausible enough for me.
2023-6-3
Use props
Codgerzh2
First Officer
Flight distance : 15567024 ft
United Kingdom

Some nice pics
2023-8-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain