Prolonged storage
497 10 2023-5-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KBear
lvl.2
United States

I have always removed batteries from DSLR and older SLR cameras years ago for prolonged storage. And if I'm not going to use my GoPro 10 or 11 or even my Insta360X3 for extended periods I remove the batteries and place them in plastic cases until I'm ready to use those cameras again which then I place them [batteries] in a charger as I need when I need them. The cameras I mentioned all have battery covers in which to keep out unwanted foreign matter. Whereas the Mini 3 Pro does not. I performed a search here on the forum and found nothing about prolonged storage and I looked in version 1.6v User Manual and was unable to find anything on the subject.

I remove the batteries from my motorcycles for winter storage when I will not be riding them then place those batteries on a smart charger to maintain the longevity of the batteries.

Maybe I'm over thinking this, but does DJI recommend removing batteries in prolonged storage and is there a blank plug that can be used in place of the battery in an effort to reduce contamination from entering the battery docking station?

2023-5-29
Use props
KBear
lvl.2
United States

My Insta360X3 does not have a protective door at the battery dock. I miss spoke thinking too much GoPro.
2023-5-29
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Prolonged storage is not advisable, you should check them at least every month, by pressing the button and seeing what charge is left, i actually charge them at least once a month, then let them auto discharge down to the (DJI's) set amount. Not doing so could result in dead batteries, which can lead to swelling and needing to be binned. Since the Phantom 4 Pro, i have always left one in the drone and 3 in the dock, Mini 2 and Mini 3 Pro i leave one in the drone and 3 in the hub. Not had any issues whatsoever in doing things this way.

2023-5-29
Use props
KBear
lvl.2
United States

Bashy Posted at 5-29 17:39
Prolonged storage is not advisable, you should check them at least every month, by pressing the button and seeing what charge is left, i actually charge them at least once a month, then let them auto discharge down to the (DJI's) set amount. Not doing so could result in dead batteries, which can lead to swelling and needing to be binned. Since the Phantom 4 Pro, i have always left one in the drone and 3 in the dock, Mini 2 and Mini 3 Pro i leave one in the drone and 3 in the hub. Not had any issues whatsoever in doing things this way.

Thank you, Bushy. This is what I was looking for some sort of direction on what to do for long term storage. I live in a state where the winters can get sorta bad at times and can have a lot of snow, so I won't be flying all year long. At least in the winter months I won't be flying.
2023-5-30
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there. Thanks for reaching out. Before storage, please make sure that the remaining battery level is at least 60%. It is recommended to charge and discharge the battery once every three months to improve battery performance.
If the battery level is below 60%, it is recommended to charge it until it is 60% before storage.
If the battery level is above 70%, the battery will discharge automatically on the 9th day to about 60%.
DJI currently does not have any recommended replacement for the batteries to avoid contamination. Just ensure you maintain the batteries to prolong battery performance. We hope this helps.
2023-5-30
Use props
KBear
lvl.2
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 5-30 23:38
Hi there. Thanks for reaching out. Before storage, please make sure that the remaining battery level is at least 60%. It is recommended to charge and discharge the battery once every three months to improve battery performance.
If the battery level is below 60%, it is recommended to charge it until it is 60% before storage.
If the battery level is above 70%, the battery will discharge automatically on the 9th day to about 60%.

Thank you, DJI Tony, for the advice. That's exactly what I was looking for. I will try my best to keep up with the charging during the winter months.
2023-5-31
Use props
KBear
lvl.2
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 5-30 23:38
Hi there. Thanks for reaching out. Before storage, please make sure that the remaining battery level is at least 60%. It is recommended to charge and discharge the battery once every three months to improve battery performance.
If the battery level is above 70%, the battery will discharge automatically on the 9th day to about 60%.

I did find an article in the Tips and Trick section of the forum on storage and wihtin that article there is a link to information regarding batteries and storage and discharging.
2023-5-31
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Get a good case to store your aircraft to prevent dust and debris from the hubs, batteries and drone.
2023-6-1
Use props
KBear
lvl.2
United States

KLRSKIR Posted at 6-1 05:40
Get a good case to store your aircraft to prevent dust and debris from the hubs, batteries and drone.

Very cool, Thank you. Yes, I did. One of the first things I did was purchase a STARTRC hardcase. Didn't want to take any chances. This case allows me to carry more batteries and the charger from the Fly More kit. I really like it a lot!
2023-6-1
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

You're good to go for any adventure!
2023-6-2
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

KBear Posted at 5-31 17:29
Thank you, DJI Tony, for the advice. That's exactly what I was looking for. I will try my best to keep up with the charging during the winter months.

You're most welcome. And we're glad you found more information on the Tutorial page. Should you have other concerns, please reach back here. Have a nice day!
2023-6-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules