Flickering in my videos
839 18 2023-5-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_rcHTTJkZmP7z
lvl.1
Flight distance : 561257 ft
Italy

Hi everyone.  My name is Matteo and I'm Italian.  Last year I bought a Mini 3 Pro. Unfortunately, between red zones active throughout the week in my area (weekends excluded) and other commitments up to now I have been able to use it but without paying too much attention to the videos shot.
Last Sunday, during a boat trip, I took the drone with me and filmed some clips.  Downloading the videos to my computer today and watching them again, I noticed the same problem I noticed some time ago.  The video during the movement of the drone on the roll axis and during the change of inclination of the gimbal is jerky, there is some kind of flickering.  From a phone it is not so noticeable but if you open the video with a bigger screen it is very noticeable and even gives you a headache.  I shot in 4K at 30fps shutter at 1/60 with ND filter.  I didn't lock the exposure, anti-flicker off.  The microsd is an amazon basic V30, but the defect appears even if I saved the videos in the internal memory of the drone.  I think I was careful enough to move the gimbal slowly.
I leave you a video to make you understand better (you can clearly see the defect in the last seconds with the change of inclination of the gimbal).  
What could be the problem?  Factory defect or am I doing something wrong?
2023-5-29
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there. Thanks for reaching out, and we're sorry for any inconvenience caused. Can you upload the original video on this link, please? We would like to consult it with our team for further checking. Thank you.
2023-5-30
Use props
matteoprontera
lvl.1
Italy

DJI Tony Posted at 5-30 02:34
Hi there. Thanks for reaching out, and we're sorry for any inconvenience caused. Can you upload the original video on this link, please? We would like to consult it with our team for further checking. Thank you.

Okay, done!
2023-5-30
Use props
matteoprontera
lvl.1
Italy

So, do you think I have to open a ticket for the replacement or is it normal behavior of the video recording?
2023-5-31
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

You are flying very fast and you are lifting the camera very quickly. At the very end of the video, the image was good.
You need to be in one place and tilt the camera to check how the gimbal works.
2023-5-31
Use props
matteoprontera
lvl.1
Italy

Drone.Hunter Posted at 5-31 05:17
You are flying very fast and you are lifting the camera very quickly. At the very end of the video, the image was good.
You need to be in one place and tilt the camera to check how the gimbal works.

Movement speed may have been high but gimbal lift speed was not.
2023-5-31
Use props
matteoprontera
lvl.1
Italy

So, I tried with a 1080p video. Same problem. It's definitely not a microsd card issue. I also tried lower speeds and the same problem occurs, only less pronounced. I can upload the videos if you want. At this point I think it could be a factory defect ...
2023-6-1
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

Find a video player that can play frame by frame and try moving frames forward manually. That gap you see between frames (images) is what brain registers as flickering or stuttering. To reduce that gap switch to 60 FPS and 1/120 shutter and the video will be more pleasing for the brain.
2023-6-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

This is probably the most common question people ask when they start out with drone videography.
It is a complicated topic and there is no 'one solution' for this.
If you want to get to the detail of it : this is a great video explaining what is happening. (it is not my video, unfortunately the owner has set it to 'watch on youtube' only, so just click on the link, there is no preview available)

In short, there is a couple of things you can do :
- Move SLOWLY (both gimbal and drone).
- Shoot in a high framerat (50fps for PAL area, 60fps for NTFS area)
- Make sure your monitor has the right refresh rate (if your footage is shot in 50fps, it should have a refresh rate of something that is divisible by 50)
- There is a slight improvement if you can dial in a '180 degree' shutter rule exposure (so 50fps would mean 1/100s shutterspeed). This usually requires you to add an ND filter, but the other things are more effective and don't cost anything.
2023-6-2
Use props
matteoprontera
lvl.1
Italy

Montfrooij Posted at 6-2 00:42
This is probably the most common question people ask when they start out with drone videography.
It is a complicated topic and there is no 'one solution' for this.
If you want to get to the detail of it : this is a great video explaining what is happening. (it is not my video, unfortunately the owner has set it to 'watch on youtube' only, so just click on the link, there is no preview available)

I already use ND filters, but I don't understand why I should shoot at higher framerates.  It should also run fine at 30fps, and I see videos using them with no stutter.  As mentioned, I also tried to film at lower speeds but, albeit to a much lesser extent, the problem was still visible.  We are not talking about a light problem, but as you can also see in the video I posted it is a really important problem imo.
2023-6-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

matteoprontera Posted at 6-2 02:09
I already use ND filters, but I don't understand why I should shoot at higher framerates.  It should also run fine at 30fps, and I see videos using them with no stutter.  As mentioned, I also tried to film at lower speeds but, albeit to a much lesser extent, the problem was still visible.  We are not talking about a light problem, but as you can also see in the video I posted it is a really important problem imo.

It's just science.
This video I shared explains it very thoroughly.
Don't take my word, just try it out.
Higher framerates = less difference between the frames = less risk for stuttering / jitter / judder.
This is a very very common question and many beginners with drone video run into this.
Luckily you can avoid it by doing what I stated (and watch the video I shared if you are really interested into the reason)
2023-6-2
Use props
matteoprontera
lvl.1
Italy

Montfrooij Posted at 6-2 02:15
It's just science.
This video I shared explains it very thoroughly.
Don't take my word, just try it out.

Yes, yes, I know that at 60fps the video is smoother.  In fact, at 60fps I have no jerky problems.  What I wonder is if at 30 fps it is normal that it is practically impossible to make videos with the drone in motion, even at low speed. It doesn't seem like it to me, for example, looking at this video where I see fast drone and gimbal movements (unless they are sped up (?)).

2023-6-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

matteoprontera Posted at 6-2 02:53
Yes, yes, I know that at 60fps the video is smoother.  In fact, at 60fps I have no jerky problems.  What I wonder is if at 30 fps it is normal that it is practically impossible to make videos with the drone in motion, even at low speed. It doesn't seem like it to me, for example, looking at this video where I see fast drone and gimbal movements (unless they are sped up (?)).

https://youtu.be/dMkEp1xxfXs

Yeah, there is no guarantee here.
Our brain works in mysterious ways sometimes.

It's a matter of reducing the risk of creating something that your brain perceives as stuttery.
So I shoot 50fps most of the time.
And I don't even add an ND filter, since I feel that with drone footage (usually the subject is far away) I can get away with not using an ND filter.

In this specific video, I also see the same stuttering in some shots.
Mainly when there is just one 'direction' the camera (drone + gimbal) is moving steadily.
But when the operator introduces a second direction, it is gone.
I made a  video about these moves one time (not with flickering in mind, but because they give more interesting results).
2023-6-2
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Kazakhstan

I don't like your video. Look at my channel, I don't have problems like you.
https://www.youtube.com/@Drone.Hunter
2023-6-2
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Thank you, and apologies for the delayed response. We will have it forwarded for further checking. We'll let you know as soon as we receive feedback.
2023-6-3
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there. We just received feedback from our team. Motion blur is the apparent streaking of moving objects in a photograph or a sequence of frames, such as a film or animation.
When a camera creates an image, that image does not always represent a single instant of time. Because of technological constraints or artistic requirements, the image may represent the scene over a period of time. As objects in a scene move, an image of that scene must represent an integration of all positions of those objects, as well as the camera's viewpoint, over the period of exposure determined by the shutter speed. In such an image, any object moving with respect to the camera will look blurred or smeared along the direction of relative motion This smearing may occur on an object that is moving or on a static background if the camera is moving.
When an aircraft flies horizontally or rotates, the relative motion trajectory between the camera, object, and scene within the exposure time is long. Motion blur will become more apparent when the motion trajectory in the exposure duration is relatively longer.
To avoid the motion blur effect caused by the relative motion between the camera, object, and scene, you can choose to lower the shutter speed, lower the aircraft movement speed, or track the object with a camera.
We hope this clarifies your concern.
2023-6-5
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Drone.Hunter Posted at 6-2 04:45
I don't like your video. Look at my channel, I don't have problems like you.
https://www.youtube.com/@Drone.Hunter

Indeed...you have other type of problems...Editing skills...Long boring scenes....Color editing bad...Jerky movements inside video....

So....we do not like your video too....
2023-6-7
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Kazakhstan

Geo_Drone Posted at 6-7 00:38
Indeed...you have other type of problems...Editing skills...Long boring scenes....Color editing bad...Jerky movements inside video....

So....we do not like your video too....

I already know this, I study as much as possible.
We are discussing the problem of the gimbal, and I do not like the technical result in the video, somehow it twitches a lot. Or maybe it just moves really fast.

+ You can give a link to your videos, for self-education?

2023-6-7
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Drone.Hunter Posted at 6-7 05:12
I already know this, I study as much as possible.
We are discussing the problem of the gimbal, and I do not like the technical result in the video, somehow it twitches a lot. Or maybe it just moves really fast.

Search Youtube
2023-6-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules