How to make a small dandelion into a big one
460 27 2023-5-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

The summer has arrived, and I got an idea to take a picture of a ripe dandelion and see how it will look like when shot with an Ulanzi Macro Lens for the Pocket 2. Also took a couple of shots without to see how they will turn up. And here are the results
Voikukka 1 pienennetty.jpg Voikukka 2 pienennetty.jpg Voikukka makrokuva pienennetty.jpg
While I do know that a dandelion is often considered a weed, it has to be admitted that the small ball of fluff that forms on it looks quite captivating

2023-5-30
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No2 is the sharpest focus for me
2023-5-30
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 5-30 05:59
No2 is the sharpest focus for me

I think you're right, it was a tad windy and holding the dandelion by it's stalk did lessen the motions, also lessening the motion blur in the picture. :-)

The macro ones weren't as sharp as I wished them to be, but I think the end result still looks somehow nice
2023-5-30
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 5-30 06:05
I think you're right, it was a tad windy and holding the dandelion by it's stalk did lessen the motions, also lessening the motion blur in the picture. :-)

The macro ones weren't as sharp as I wished them to be, but I think the end result still looks somehow nice

At least it wasn't breezy enough to blow the seedhead off the stalk
2023-5-30
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 5-30 06:15
At least it wasn't breezy enough to blow the seedhead off the stalk

I did see some seeds flying from the others, but I guess this particular one was still so close to the ground, it wasn't affected as much as the others on the same patch of grass. I had the Pocket 2 on a very small GoPro tripod (the one that comes as a part of the 3-Way Mount v1), and that wasn't high enough for most of the others that still had their seedheads intact, so that is why I chose this one.
2023-5-30
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 5-30 06:21
I did see some seeds flying from the others, but I guess this particular one was still so close to the ground, it wasn't affected as much as the others on the same patch of grass. I had the Pocket 2 on a very small GoPro tripod (the one that comes as a part of the 3-Way Mount v1), and that wasn't high enough for most of the others that still had their seedheads intact, so that is why I chose this one.

2023-5-30
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

No2 is sharp at the bottom, No3 not really at all. I always find that it's hard to check focus on that tiny screen. Hope you're still happy.
2023-5-30
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Depp Posted at 5-30 09:32
No2 is sharp at the bottom, No3 not really at all. I always find that it's hard to check focus on that tiny screen. Hope you're still happy.

I am reasonably happy with the shots. The circumstances were pretty hard, I attempted to use the DIA Handle with a tablet, but it was so bright and sunny outside I couldn't see the display properly, and there also were connection problems with the handle, so I couldn't really use the tablet to check the focus. In the end, I just had to tap on the Pocket 2's screen and hope it will go okay. These were the sharpest shots I got out of all I took. Not perfect, but I think there still is something fascinating in the macro shot despite being out of focus.
2023-5-30
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

HGDC84 Posted at 5-30 10:30
I am reasonably happy with the shots. The circumstances were pretty hard, I attempted to use the DIA Handle with a tablet, but it was so bright and sunny outside I couldn't see the display properly, and there also were connection problems with the handle, so I couldn't really use the tablet to check the focus. In the end, I just had to tap on the Pocket 2's screen and hope it will go okay. These were the sharpest shots I got out of all I took. Not perfect, but I think there still is something fascinating in the macro shot despite being out of focus.

Yes, macro is cool, it doesn't have to be perfect.
2023-5-30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Please tell me you picked it and destroyed the seeds, those plants are the scourge of the weeds.  
2023-5-30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think the second shot has the best focus.  The macro is really cool.    When I lived on land I used to work hard to keep the dandelions out of my yard but there is some beauty in them.  
2023-5-31
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Depp Posted at 5-30 21:21
Yes, macro is cool, it doesn't have to be perfect.

True. But it certainly does no harm to practice more to see if I can get sharper shots.
2023-5-31
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DAFlys Posted at 5-30 23:33
Please tell me you picked it and destroyed the seeds, those plants are the scourge of the weeds.

Unfortunately I didn't, they weren't exactly on my plot and some people do apparently grow them here for dietary and medical use. And there also were so many of them, doing that wouldn't have been much use. I do understand though that for the gardening people, they can be a huge nuisance and I certainly didn't blow the seeds off to spread them further.
2023-5-31
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-31 03:02
I think the second shot has the best focus.  The macro is really cool.    When I lived on land I used to work hard to keep the dandelions out of my yard but there is some beauty in them.

I like the macro too. I do also understand they are a weed for many gardeners and understand not everybody likes them.

Will see what other ideas I could do with the macro lens and try to get the shots sharper.
2023-5-31
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 5-31 05:37
Unfortunately I didn't, they weren't exactly on my plot and some people do apparently grow them here for dietary and medical use. And there also were so many of them, doing that wouldn't have been much use. I do understand though that for the gardening people, they can be a huge nuisance and I certainly didn't blow the seeds off to spread them further.

Fair enough,  I personally hate that weed,  they get everywhere and then one or two days a year we see clouds of the seeds blowing in the wind.  
2023-5-31
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DAFlys Posted at 5-31 05:46
Fair enough,  I personally hate that weed,  they get everywhere and then one or two days a year we see clouds of the seeds blowing in the wind.

I see, and I do not mean to belittle your opinion on that. I do realize that for many gardeners, they are a huge problem. I hope they won't cause too much trouble in your garden.
2023-5-31
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 5-31 05:51
I see, and I do not mean to belittle your opinion on that. I do realize that for many gardeners, they are a huge problem. I hope they won't cause too much trouble in your garden.

I have a very large spray bottle with weedkiller in and they get sprayed at the first sign.  And my lazy neighbour just agreed I can spray her weeds too
2023-5-31
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DAFlys Posted at 5-31 05:54
I have a very large spray bottle with weedkiller in and they get sprayed at the first sign.  And my lazy neighbour just agreed I can spray her weeds too

Glad to hear you can be of help for her too, may your battle for the controls of your gardens be successful
2023-5-31
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 5-31 05:56
Glad to hear you can be of help for her too, may your battle for the controls of your gardens be successful

thanks,  but its more damage limitation,  they also seem to win.
2023-5-31
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DAFlys Posted at 5-31 06:00
thanks,  but its more damage limitation,  they also seem to win.

Sorry to hear that No wonder you're annoyed with them.
2023-5-31
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

HGDC84 Posted at 5-31 05:42
I like the macro too. I do also understand they are a weed for many gardeners and understand not everybody likes them.

Will see what other ideas I could do with the macro lens and try to get the shots sharper.

Looking forward to seeing your next project using the macro lens.  
2023-5-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

They are a lot of fun!
Nicely captured!
How do you like the macro lens?
2023-6-1
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Montfrooij Posted at 6-1 22:50
They are a lot of fun!
Nicely captured!
How do you like the macro lens?

Thanks

As for the macro lens, I haven't used it that much yet, but I do like it. Still need to practice a little to see the optimal distance from the subject for the sharpest pictures and video. The only thing I didn't like about it is that it wasn't sold separately on eBay, I had to buy it with a slightly bad wide-angle lens (needless for me as I already have the official DJI one (which I don't even use that often) and besides, this causes a vignetting effect with the Pocket 2).
2023-6-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

HGDC84 Posted at 6-2 13:00
Thanks

As for the macro lens, I haven't used it that much yet, but I do like it. Still need to practice a little to see the optimal distance from the subject for the sharpest pictures and video. The only thing I didn't like about it is that it wasn't sold separately on eBay, I had to buy it with a slightly bad wide-angle lens (needless for me as I already have the official DJI one (which I don't even use that often) and besides, this causes a vignetting effect with the Pocket 2).

It looks like a nice addition for sure. (just the macro lens indeed)
2023-6-2
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Montfrooij Posted at 6-2 13:07
It looks like a nice addition for sure. (just the macro lens indeed)

Yes, I was originally inspired to get one when I saw a video on this forum from another user who had shot some video with it. They managed to get the picture very sharp and the resulting video looked great. Also, the deal I found was reasonably priced, so decided to go for it. Haven't been disappointed. Will have to see if I can find any sensible use for the wide-angle vignette lens though.
2023-6-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

HGDC84 Posted at 6-2 13:09
Yes, I was originally inspired to get one when I saw a video on this forum from another user who had shot some video with it. They managed to get the picture very sharp and the resulting video looked great. Also, the deal I found was reasonably priced, so decided to go for it. Haven't been disappointed. Will have to see if I can find any sensible use for the wide-angle vignette lens though.

It's nice to experiment.
2023-6-3
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Montfrooij Posted at 6-3 05:15
It's nice to experiment.

Yes, and part of the fun is that sometimes, the opportunities present themselves. Got a couple of my previous ideas by encountering them half-accidentally.
2023-6-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

HGDC84 Posted at 6-3 06:19
Yes, and part of the fun is that sometimes, the opportunities present themselves. Got a couple of my previous ideas by encountering them half-accidentally.

Happy accidents
2023-6-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules