Using usb-c hubs/docks with RC-N1 controller
1386 6 2023-5-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wsteeleNYC
lvl.1
United States

Hi,

So have tried various usb-c hubs including an OWC thunderbolt 4 hub with 3 downstream usb-c ports and j5 create usb4 hub.  I wan't to be able to have otther devices connected to my smartphone while using the controller.  I am curious as to the reason why this does not work because in theory these 100% should work unless DJI is actively doing soomething to prevent it.  One possibility is that the controller is acting as the host and connecting the phone as a device instead of the other way around.  This would be an odd way of doing this, but who know's what non-sensical stuff engineers do for varios reasons.  If it's not that then clearly DJI is doing something explicit to prevent the use of devices such as usb hubs and docks.  I am looking for a concrete answer.  Responses such as questioning why I want to do this, or saying that it's impossiblle without providing concrete reasons why are unhelpful.  Best would be a response from someone at DJI who can provide an actual reason why this does not work.

Thanks,
Will
2023-5-30
Use props
Tenou
New

Germany

I'd be highly interested in this as well. I've been trying to make this work too, in an attempt to use an HDMI adapter with my phone whilst flying, so I can hook it up to a larger screen. I've tried multiple hubs and dockingstations, however didn't get the RC-N1 to connect under any circumstances other than a direct connection.
2023-5-31
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Will. Thank you for reaching out. When an Android device is connected to a docking station or a multi-device hub, when it is connected to DJI RC-N1 or other devices, it does not support connecting multiple devices at the same time, not because of DJI's relevant restrictions. Hope this helps.
2023-6-5
Use props
wsteeleNYC
lvl.1
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 6-5 07:05
Hi, Will. Thank you for reaching out. When an Android device is connected to a docking station or a multi-device hub, when it is connected to DJI RC-N1 or other devices, it does not support connecting multiple devices at the same time, not because of DJI's relevant restrictions. Hope this helps.

For this use case technically it's not the ability of the rc-n1 to be connected to multiple devices at the same time, but the fact that the RC-N1 functions as the host device.  I have determined that the RC-N1 controller connects to the phone as a host making the phone the device and the host port of the hub/adapter then needs to connect to the controller which the controller being a custom device and chipset would need to support these kind of devices, but even if it did we still would not be able to get the phones display to show up via the hubs dp-alt mode support as the phone must be the host for this to work.  So as I see it the peculiar way DJI designed the connectivity to the phone is a barrier to supporting this.  By peculiar I just mean different.  I'm assuming DJI made this decision based on both the chipset chosen and retaining low latency video output to the phone, a challenge for sure.  Since this is clearly not going to be an option, I am now debugging the DJI fly app sideloaded onto the Meta Quest 2 in hopes of finding some kind of solution to get the Fly app to connect with the NC-N1 controller on the Meta Quest.  This is probably the most viable option to get to work without the assistance of DJI.  If DJI wanted, I am pretty sure they could get it to work on Quest 2, but obviously they want us to spend an extra $1k on their hardware for FPV.  My guess is there is either some library that the Meta Quest 2 needs to support or some ADB commands to enable some OS level options or security on the Quest 2 headset as I doubt DJI is actively blocking the Quest 2 headset.  I've already found out quite a bit in the regards to this already and I don't think I am that far from discovering why the RC-N1 doesn't work with the Meta Quest 2.  The larger challenge will be finding the solution to making them work together without the help of DJI, because clearly the latter isn't going to happen.
2023-6-5
Use props
wsteeleNYC
lvl.1
United States

Tenou Posted at 5-31 02:34
I'd be highly interested in this as well. I've been trying to make this work too, in an attempt to use an HDMI adapter with my phone whilst flying, so I can hook it up to a larger screen. I've tried multiple hubs and dockingstations, however didn't get the RC-N1 to connect under any circumstances other than a direct connection.

So, after some more digging, the ability to use a usb-c or thunderbolt 4 hub won't work because the DJI RC-N1 connects using Android Open Accessory ( AOA ) mode where the controller is the host and the mobile device is the accessory and there isn't any current way in the spec for AOA that supports a hub or similar in between.  I'm only looking into how to get this working on the Quest 2 and Quest Pro now.  That's likely more possible.  I am just finding it difficult to identify AOA support on the Meta Quest headsets.
I will be posting updates on my youtube channel as I make further progress...
https://www.youtube.com/@allinvr
2023-6-5
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

wsteeleNYC Posted at 6-5 07:54
For this use case technically it's not the ability of the rc-n1 to be connected to multiple devices at the same time, but the fact that the RC-N1 functions as the host device.  I have determined that the RC-N1 controller connects to the phone as a host making the phone the device and the host port of the hub/adapter then needs to connect to the controller which the controller being a custom device and chipset would need to support these kind of devices, but even if it did we still would not be able to get the phones display to show up via the hubs dp-alt mode support as the phone must be the host for this to work.  So as I see it the peculiar way DJI designed the connectivity to the phone is a barrier to supporting this.  By peculiar I just mean different.  I'm assuming DJI made this decision based on both the chipset chosen and retaining low latency video output to the phone, a challenge for sure.  Since this is clearly not going to be an option, I am now debugging the DJI fly app sideloaded onto the Meta Quest 2 in hopes of finding some kind of solution to get the Fly app to connect with the NC-N1 controller on the Meta Quest.  This is probably the most viable option to get to work without the assistance of DJI.  If DJI wanted, I am pretty sure they could get it to work on Quest 2, but obviously they want us to spend an extra $1k on their hardware for FPV.  My guess is there is either some library that the Meta Quest 2 needs to support or some ADB commands to enable some OS level options or security on the Quest 2 headset as I doubt DJI is actively blocking the Quest 2 headset.  I've already found out quite a bit in the regards to this already and I don't think I am that far from discovering why the RC-N1 doesn't work with the Meta Quest 2.  The larger challenge will be finding the solution to making them work together without the help of DJI, because clearly the latter isn't going to happen.

Hi, Will. The device is used so it is impossible to make the mobile phone recognize Meta Quest 2 on this basis. We will feedback on your concern to the engineer for evaluation, but we cannot promise a solution and time. Thank you for your kind understanding.
2023-6-13
Use props
wsteeleNYC
lvl.1
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 6-13 07:39
Hi, Will. The device is used so it is impossible to make the mobile phone recognize Meta Quest 2 on this basis. We will feedback on your concern to the engineer for evaluation, but we cannot promise a solution and time. Thank you for your kind understanding.

Your reply makes no sense.
2023-6-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules