1524 32 2023-5-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

[backcolor=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.05)]Here I test out DJI Osmo Action 3 with BOYA BY-K4 USB-C Mic Adapter and with BOYA Lav-Mic. I also test out when used with RØDE Video Micro mic.

2023-5-30
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

I wished the Action 3 had the  meter like the gopro from right to left of the lower thirds. the first one was good if asked and well the seconds
2023-5-30
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

I agree would be great
2023-5-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I think it sounds good at 0db.
2023-6-2
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Montfrooij Posted at 6-2 00:36
I think it sounds good at 0db.

Only wish the adapter doesn't had boost
2023-6-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

johansenfoto Posted at 6-2 00:44
Only wish the adapter doesn't had boost

Ok, you can't turn that off?
2023-6-2
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Montfrooij Posted at 6-2 00:51
Ok, you can't turn that off?

No, it is internal in the BOYA adapter itself. DJI did mentioned it a few month ago on another thread.
2023-6-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

johansenfoto Posted at 6-2 00:59
No, it is internal in the BOYA adapter itself. DJI did mentioned it a few month ago on another thread.

Ok. That is a bummer.
2023-6-2
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Montfrooij Posted at 6-2 01:04
Ok. That is a bummer.

It really is, but if used with a cheap lav-mic from ebay it do work as it should.
2023-6-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

johansenfoto Posted at 6-2 01:07
It really is, but if used with a cheap lav-mic from ebay it do work as it should.

I just read about the new Nikon Z8......
That is stated to have a great mic pre amp....
But .....
It costs more that I would like to pay.
2023-6-2
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Montfrooij Posted at 6-2 01:08
I just read about the new Nikon Z8......
That is stated to have a great mic pre amp....
But .....

I haven't updated much about the Z8 other than it's like a lighter version of the Z9.
But Nikon and Canon are so far behind other brands regarding video that it is almost embarrassing for them that Nikon advertises that they can record in 8K.
I commented on someone's video about the Z9 when it came out that it doesn't yet have good stabilization that can compete with smaller and cheaper cameras. And there was one fanboy who didn't like hearing that.

Am a Nikon fanboy myself, but I stick to the facts. And if there is another brand that is better at something, then of course I agree.

But yes, I would like to have the Z8, but then I have to get it for free or win the lottery
2023-6-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

johansenfoto Posted at 6-2 01:17
I haven't updated much about the Z8 other than it's like a lighter version of the Z9.
But Nikon and Canon are so far behind other brands regarding video that it is almost embarrassing for them that Nikon advertises that they can record in 8K.
I commented on someone's video about the Z9 when it came out that it doesn't yet have good stabilization that can compete with smaller and cheaper cameras. And there was one fanboy who didn't like hearing that.

It is a stripped down Z9 at a (very) high pricepoint.
But I really like what I have seen from it.
Video and photo.
The 120fps 4K footage looks great.
Very usable for me.
And the stabilization is much better than what I have now (nothing)
Looks like my dream camera for sure.
Especially with my prime Nikkor lenses

I'm deeply invested in Nikon, and I really like them for my main photo + video camera.
I know there are alternatives, but I happen to like Nikon a lot for a photo + video camera.
I might get a Z6II someday, to make the move to mirrorless and get stabilized footage, but I have to dive into that one.  
2023-6-2
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Montfrooij Posted at 6-2 01:25
It is a stripped down Z9 at a (very) high pricepoint.
But I really like what I have seen from it.
Video and photo.

It has incredibly good specs, totally agree. But such an expensive camera, I wouldn't have dared to take it on many of the trips even without solid insurance.
The Z6ii is a camera I've wanted for a long time, but the price of over €3,500 with everything I need for northern lights etc. is a bit much. Have also considered the Z5 or the older Z6, but they are not much better than what my old D610 can do with high ISO noise.
They are better of course, but is it worth €2000 to me?

In April I bought the Panasonic G9 to replace my D7500 for daily use. And it's just so much better at video as well as having so many more features that are useful than what Nikon generally has in their cameras.
Had a photoshoot 2 weeks ago, and I'm impressed how good and sharp the pictures were with the G9 compared to my Nikon.
Yes, the sharpness comes from the lens, but the focus was spot on.
2023-6-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

johansenfoto Posted at 6-2 01:36
It has incredibly good specs, totally agree. But such an expensive camera, I wouldn't have dared to take it on many of the trips even without solid insurance.
The Z6ii is a camera I've wanted for a long time, but the price of over €3,500 with everything I need for northern lights etc. is a bit much. Have also considered the Z5 or the older Z6, but they are not much better than what my old D610 can do with high ISO noise.
They are better of course, but is it worth €2000 to me?

Yeah, I have been looking into Panasonic as well, but I (so far) have not found one that is on par with my D750 photo quality.
Plus I have 4 great prime lenses that are a pain in the ... to replace with similar options for Panasonic.
2023-6-2
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Montfrooij Posted at 6-2 01:38
Yeah, I have been looking into Panasonic as well, but I (so far) have not found one that is on par with my D750 photo quality.
Plus I have 4 great prime lenses that are a pain in the ... to replace with similar options for Panasonic.

I feel you. Nikon have many great lenses that is hard to find replacement for.

Still thinking about getting a Z30 when I have sold my D7500, mainly for video in low light (winter) but also for landscape pictures. But €800 is still money and can be used for other things
2023-6-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

johansenfoto Posted at 6-2 01:58
I feel you. Nikon have many great lenses that is hard to find replacement for.

Still thinking about getting a Z30 when I have sold my D7500, mainly for video in low light (winter) but also for landscape pictures. But €800 is still money and can be used for other things

Yeah, I'm not going to get a € 2000,- or more camera anytime soon.
Not my type of budget.
I will probably wait for a very long time until I find a good deal on a Z6ii
2023-6-2
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Montfrooij Posted at 6-2 02:16
Yeah, I'm not going to get a € 2000,- or more camera anytime soon.
Not my type of budget.
I will probably wait for a very long time until I find a good deal on a Z6ii

Rumors say there will be Z6iii coming soon, but we have to see
2023-6-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

johansenfoto Posted at 6-2 03:44
Rumors say there will be Z6iii coming soon, but we have to see

I hope so, that would make the Z6 ii cheaper.
It would make sense, since the ii is just a minor upgrade from the original and it seems like they have made big steps since then. (looking at the Z9 and 8)
2023-6-2
Use props
hurtighansen1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 26296 ft
Denmark

Boya k4 sucks, and still the best option we have. It is made for a mic or reciver there have volume control.
2023-6-7
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Montfrooij Posted at 6-2 04:44
I hope so, that would make the Z6 ii cheaper.
It would make sense, since the ii is just a minor upgrade from the original and it seems like they have made big steps since then. (looking at the Z9 and 8)

Yeah we just have to wait and see.
2023-6-7
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

hurtighansen1 Posted at 6-7 00:07
Boya k4 sucks, and still the best option we have. It is made for a mic or reciver there have volume control.

There are some other options/adapters that also work, but can't remember which
2023-6-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

johansenfoto Posted at 6-7 00:58
Yeah we just have to wait and see.

Absolutely. I will get it at some point. Just not yet.
2023-6-7
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Montfrooij Posted at 6-7 02:17
Absolutely. I will get it at some point. Just not yet.

Same plan here, but I have so much others things I need to priority before new camera
2023-6-7
Use props
AZ_DesertRat
lvl.2
United States

I think that there's a few out here that have come to similar conclusions to @johansenfoto on this topic.  

The real puzzle does seem to be the microphone that's being used.  I'm now using the mic from an Apple EarPod.  

Better, but now, it turns into a positioning problem.  As in where on the motorcycle does the mic need to be to get the expected sound.  
2023-6-7
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

AZ_DesertRat Posted at 6-7 09:48
I think that there's a few out here that have come to similar conclusions to @johansenfoto on this topic.  

Air intake in front is where I place mine, but you need a deadcat on to block wind still
2023-6-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

johansenfoto Posted at 6-7 08:27
Same plan here, but I have so much others things I need to priority before new camera

Oh yes, I know that too.
2023-6-8
Use props
AZ_DesertRat
lvl.2
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 6-7 14:16
Air intake in front is where I place mine, but you need a deadcat on to block wind still

I've been trying other areas on the fairing of my motorcycle, to little avail.  I'm currently experimenting with a deadcat over a foam wrapped microphone.  I do need to suit up and go try the air intake; just need a method to restrain the mic assembly from moving before I head out.
2023-6-8
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

AZ_DesertRat Posted at 6-8 06:12
I've been trying other areas on the fairing of my motorcycle, to little avail.  I'm currently experimenting with a deadcat over a foam wrapped microphone.  I do need to suit up and go try the air intake; just need a method to restrain the mic assembly from moving before I head out.

My mic is really lose when I put it there, but it have been working great. Still haven't found a better solution.
2023-6-8
Use props
AZ_DesertRat
lvl.2
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 6-8 06:43
My mic is really lose when I put it there, but it have been working great. Still haven't found a better solution.

Under 90kmh (55 MPH), it's fine.  It's really good at under 65kmh (40 MPH).  The spot that I used meets my earlier requirement of being able to be removed & installed in under a couple of minutes.  No need to video all of the boring parts of the ride.

My final hurdle is for speeds up to 120kmh (75MPH).  As noted earlier, my motorcycle is fairly quiet, so the exhaust note is being drowned out by the airflow at those kinds of speeds.
2023-6-8
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

AZ_DesertRat Posted at 6-8 10:51
Under 90kmh (55 MPH), it's fine.  It's really good at under 65kmh (40 MPH).  The spot that I used meets my earlier requirement of being able to be removed & installed in under a couple of minutes.  No need to video all of the boring parts of the ride.

My final hurdle is for speeds up to 120kmh (75MPH).  As noted earlier, my motorcycle is fairly quiet, so the exhaust note is being drowned out by the airflow at those kinds of speeds.

Then it work way better than my setup. I will get a lot of wind noise while driving above 60 km/h.
2023-6-8
Use props
AZ_DesertRat
lvl.2
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 6-8 11:54
Then it work way better than my setup. I will get a lot of wind noise while driving above 60 km/h.

I've only got about 1m of cable length at this time.  I probably need closer to 2.0 - 2.5m of length in order to sufficiently bury the mic in the innards of the motorcycle in order to pick up more motor sounds and less wind.

In parallel to this activity, I'm also experimenting with a second recorder for vlogging.  Now, not that I'm really interested in chatting while riding, but there's something to be said about how sound is picked up - even inadvertently - from a helmet-mounted Bluetooth headset.
When I get something put together, I'll post up a link in the next day or so to share with the group here.

2023-6-8
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

AZ_DesertRat Posted at 6-8 12:33
I've only got about 1m of cable length at this time.  I probably need closer to 2.0 - 2.5m of length in order to sufficiently bury the mic in the innards of the motorcycle in order to pick up more motor sounds and less wind.

In parallel to this activity, I'm also experimenting with a second recorder for vlogging.  Now, not that I'm really interested in chatting while riding, but there's something to be said about how sound is picked up - even inadvertently - from a helmet-mounted Bluetooth headset.

Do you really need that much engine sound? It could be that using another recorder just for sound could work better for that part. Like have a second camera on front recording you + sound of engine.
But your viewers do want to hear what you are saying more than your engine I will think.

Yes do post clips/videos here when you try out different settings, there are some of us that do vlog while driving here on this forum.
2023-6-8
Use props
AZ_DesertRat
lvl.2
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 6-8 13:55
Do you really need that much engine sound? It could be that using another recorder just for sound could work better for that part. Like have a second camera on front recording you + sound of engine.
But your viewers do want to hear what you are saying more than your engine I will think.

I'm probably one of the few that are making videos for myself first, rather than for the YouTube community in general.  Picking up engine noise simply means I then have the ability of reducing it in post.  I've made more than a few with a music bed, but that was using my ancient, unstabilized GoPro Hero Session (the original version) that I've had for many years.  Same issue with the mic on that - and that's the version that has NO external sound input at all.  With the OA3, I's 100% better than that.
Now, with all of that being stated, I did a short piece that I've yet to get edited & posted (that will happen this weekend at some time...) of riding by an aircraft storage facility, with a bit of commentary.  I did use a second recorder for collecting the commentary, thru the Sena headset on my helmet.

Yes, we're all in this together.  We'll eventually figure out a good method without 'breaking the bank' with this endeavor.  

2023-6-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules