3129 19 2023-5-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Depp
Captain
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

The DJI Avata had pleasantly surprised me on my week long Madeira trip: dependable, flying well if a bit slow but then in a canyon with a waterfall it happened: No satellites - which I didn't care much about as I wasn't going to fly far. The drone went up maybe 10 m until it hit DJI's virtual glass ceiling and wouldn't go up. But instead of staying where it was it began to drift and - if I remember correctly I couldn't steer it anymore. It drifted backwards and to the left right into a wall of rock and hanging plants. Luckily despite hitting quite a few plants it continued to hover - now in place - and once I noticed this I could fly out of there and land.

Next I flew a GepRC Cinelog 25 HD (with a DJI/Caddx Vista inside) there which has no GPS and didn't have any problems.

So please, DJI, let us fly normally, in all modes and as far and high as we want even if there is no GPS. The probability that we fly right into a forbidden zone is low and also it's our responsibility and not yours. Maybe put in a "switch": "Do you really want to fly here? You have no GPS, please fly with even more care. If the drone gets a GPS lock in flight and is in a No Fly Zone it will auto land."

2023-5-30
Use props
BadBert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59121 ft
Netherlands

due to rules and regulations DJI will not let you have FULL manual control over your drone

this is a bad thing, but a choice DJI has made.
2023-6-1
Use props
Xviews
lvl.4
Flight distance : 229255 ft
Germany

Next time just wait a few seconds for the GPS and the problem is solved. Ingenious idea
2023-6-1
Use props
Depp
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

BadBert Posted at 6-1 21:39
due to rules and regulations DJI will not let you have FULL manual control over your drone

this is a bad thing, but a choice DJI has made.

Yes, I can't say I expect them to change. Problem though that there are places you just don't get gps.
2023-6-2
Use props
Depp
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

Xviews Posted at 6-1 21:44
Next time just wait a few seconds for the GPS and the problem is solved. Ingenious idea

That's not the problem. I always wait for the gps, wether it takes seconds or minutes.
But this place was a slim ravine that wouldn't get me GPS even it I waited for an hour. I had hope to get enough sats when being further up.
2023-6-2
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Depp. Thank you for reaching out. When the downward vision system is unavailable or disabled and when the GNSS signal is weak or the compass experience interference, the aircraft can not position itself or brake automatically, which increases the risk of potential flight hazards. At this time, drifting may occur.
If the GPS signal is bad in the flight environment, it is recommended that you use the aircraft under conditions that the indoor light is sufficient and the aircraft’s Downward Vision System is functioning, which will ensure that the aircraft can hover stably, otherwise drifting may occur. At this time, you need to push the control stick in time and fly carefully.
2023-6-9
Use props
Depp
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

DJI Gamora Posted at 6-9 05:38
Hi, Depp. Thank you for reaching out. When the downward vision system is unavailable or disabled and when the GNSS signal is weak or the compass experience interference, the aircraft can not position itself or brake automatically, which increases the risk of potential flight hazards. At this time, drifting may occur.
If the GPS signal is bad in the flight environment, it is recommended that you use the aircraft under conditions that the indoor light is sufficient and the aircraft’s Downward Vision System is functioning, which will ensure that the aircraft can hover stably, otherwise drifting may occur. At this time, you need to push the control stick in time and fly carefully.

Thanks for the tip. Maybe in this case the vision sensor wasn't very clean and I had no GPS...
2023-6-9
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Depp Posted at 6-9 05:40
Thanks for the tip. Maybe in this case the vision sensor wasn't very clean and I had no GPS...

You're most welcome, Depp. Please try to fly the drone again to isolate this. Should you have further concerns, please reach back here at DJI Forum. Have a nice day.
2023-6-11
Use props
djiuser_P4KUi29EvM21
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4238169 ft
United States

Does/why does the DJI Avata become uncontrollable if GPS is lost during a flight?

2023-10-31
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djiuser_P4KUi29EvM21 Posted at 10-31 18:49
Does/why does the DJI Avata become uncontrollable if GPS is lost during a flight?

Hi there. The DJI Avata will drift when flying with no GPS signal and Goggles, which means the drone cannot stabilize its flight attitude, thus, it may cause hazards if keeps flying high and far. Have a great day ahead.
2023-10-31
Use props
Depp
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

djiuser_P4KUi29EvM21 Posted at 10-31 18:49

If I get it right: in N and S modes the Avata (and all other DJI drones) tries to stabilize itself. It uses a bunch of sensors (inside especially the optical sensors on the bottom) and outside, because it's further off the ground, primarily the GPS. If the GPS signal is not good enough it doesn't know what to do, doesn't notice it drifts. It should be better in flight and far better in M mode - there you control the drone yourself and (theoretically and with every other fpv drone) don't need the GPS at all except when losing connection.
Since it doesn't let you fly more than 30 ft or meters off the ground without GPS you're screwed and can't even fly manual. A serious downside. Fortunately the GPS on DJI drones is generally very good and it very seldom is a real problem. In that canyon in my video it was a problem...
2023-10-31
Use props
djiuser_P4KUi29EvM21
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4238169 ft
United States

Depp Posted at 10-31 22:29
If I get it right: in N and S modes the Avata (and all other DJI drones) tries to stabilize itself. It uses a bunch of sensors (inside especially the optical sensors on the bottom) and outside, because it's further off the ground, primarily the GPS. If the GPS signal is not good enough it doesn't know what to do, doesn't notice it drifts. It should be better in flight and far better in M mode - there you control the drone yourself and (theoretically and with every other fpv drone) don't need the GPS at all except when losing connection.
Since it doesn't let you fly more than 30 ft or meters off the ground without GPS you're screwed and can't even fly manual. A serious downside. Fortunately the GPS on DJI drones is generally very good and it very seldom is a real problem. In that canyon in my video it was a problem...

When my avata flew away, I had no gps, I was at 130 feet and never hit any type of altitude or distance limit. I actually stopped at 130 feet and waited for GPS lock when my accident occurred.

It was a tough lesson to learn.

I do love my Avata though, it is a fantastic drone.
2023-11-1
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djiuser_P4KUi29EvM21 Posted at 11-1 19:20
When my avata flew away, I had no gps, I was at 130 feet and never hit any type of altitude or distance limit. I actually stopped at 130 feet and waited for GPS lock when my accident occurred.

It was a tough lesson to learn.

Sorry about what happened to your Avata. If you want to get it repaired, you can submit a repair request on the DJI support page at https://repair.dji.com/. The warranty can be applied depending on the assessment's outcome, including your unit's warranty period. We appreciate your patience.
2023-12-18
Use props
D4LI3N
lvl.1
Serbia

I found the ultimate solution guys

2-4 09:16
Use props
Depp
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

D4LI3N Posted at 2-4 09:16
I found the ultimate solution guys

[view_image]

You mean you take it off? Then you have the 30 ft or 30 m limit all the time?
Or just pulling my leg?
2-4 22:28
Use props
D4LI3N
lvl.1
Serbia

Yup, took the sucker out completely. (GPS patch antenna)

Cons:
-no RTH and H point
-50m of altitude limit (no limit in range, I've tested it)

Pros:
-no NFZ limit (dealbraker for me, whats the purpose of it if I cant even arm it whithout CCP's permission)
-no GPS signal loss interupts and mid-flight stops (also a big one)
-I can even return the patch antenna easly if needed (almost as if the engineers made it easy intentionally, didnt even need a screwdriver, just pop the plastics and unsolder the mid pin)
-0 warnings in the goggles V2 (only the GPS icon is red)

I see this as a total win,
as I'm gonna use it for some real estate recordings.
(and some acro ofc)
2-6 04:06
Use props
Depp
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

D4LI3N Posted at 2-6 04:06
Yup, took the sucker out completely. (GPS patch antenna)

Cons:

Interesting.
Do you know how it measures altitude? Barometer? Downwards sensors?
2-6 08:03
Use props
D4LI3N
lvl.1
Serbia

Depp Posted at 2-6 08:03
Interesting.
Do you know how it measures altitude? Barometer? Downwards sensors?

Yes, You are asking the right questions, Barometer is for altitude, (downward sensor is used only for landing)
and conveniently, its right there next to that patch GPS antenna, (underneath that "black sponge")
and I see what you're aiming at...  

But do NOT remove it, you will get a warning and won't let you arm the drone. (this is a chip that communicates with the main MCU, and it won't work without it...)

You also won't find any info about the chip if you google it. (I mean if you do find something, please share here)

However...as we can see here, there is a hole on the chip, and if there's is a hole, there's a goal,
also a little birdie told me: "if you fill that hole, you might freeze the altitude control".

2-6 10:22
Use props
Depp
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

D4LI3N Posted at 2-6 10:22
Yes, You are asking the right questions, Barometer is for altitude, (downward sensor is used only for landing)
and conveniently, its right there next to that patch GPS antenna, (underneath that "black sponge")

I won't remove it - I sold the Avata anyway and I wouldn't even remove the GPS chip but I think it's very interesting...
2-6 22:23
Use props
Dante Vicenzo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1616506 ft
Brazil

D4LI3N Posted at 2-6 10:22
Yes, You are asking the right questions, Barometer is for altitude, (downward sensor is used only for landing)

Fill the hole using what kind of material?
3-27 05:26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules